MsDora, former teacher and Christian counselor, advocates for life with maximum productivity and minimal amount of stress in the workplace.
Timely words, spoken or written, have the potential to establish or change the mood of the day, and sometimes the direction of a life. Nowhere are such words more essential than in the workplace where people and situations have the tendency to threaten our equilibrium, and increase stress.
According to the Harvard Gazette (July 2016), "nearly half (44 percent) of working adults say that their current job affects their overall health." It helps to have some inspiration available as needed, to renew and reset our minds to peace, purpose and productivity. Below are fifty-two stress relievers divided into four sections to match the four quarters of the calendar year.
Directions: Focus on one each week.
First Quarter: Start Right.
1. Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. –The Bible
2. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step. –Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. An important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation. –Arthur Ashe
4. It isn’t your position, but your disposition, that makes you happy or unhappy. –Bruce Bichel et al.
5. Be the change you want to see in the world. –Mahatma Gandhi
6. Don’t go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. If you think you’re too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito. –Betty Reese
8. You can do something no one else can do in a fashion no one else can do it. –Max Lucado
9. What a man accomplishes depends on what he believes. –Bankers Bulletin
10. Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest. –Mark Twain
11. I like dreams of the future better than the history of the past. –Thomas Jefferson
Read More From Toughnickel
12. If you see someone without a smile, give them one of yours. –Richard De Haan
13. What is important is ideas. If you have ideas, you have the main asset you need, and there isn’t any limit what you can do with your business and your life. –Harvey Firestone
Second Quarter: Stay Focused.
14 Put your heart, mind, intellect and soul even to your smallest acts. This is the secret of success. –Swami Sivananda
15. What lies before us and what lies behind us are small matters, compare to what lies within us. –Ralph Waldo Emerson
16. Everyone can be great . . . because anybody can serve. You only need a soul generated by love. –Martin Luther King, Jr.
17. Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal. –Hannah More
18. Don’t let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. –John Wooden
19. To be successful, you can’t just run on the fast track; run on your track. –John C. Maxwell
20. Everything is possible for him who believes. –The Bible
21. Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew. –Cicely Tyson
22. Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work. –Bette Davis
23. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. –Eleanor Roosevelt.
24. When you affirm big, believe big and pray big, big things happen. –Norman Vincent Peale
25. Everyone has the power to impact the outcome of his life. The way to do it is to focus on today. . . It is too late for yesterday. And you can’t depend on tomorrow. –John C. Maxwell
26. Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment. –Oprah Winfrey
Third Quarter: Persevere.
27. In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins—not through strength, by through perseverance. –H. Jackson Brown
28. Consider the postage stamp. It secures success through its ability to stick to one thing till it gets there. –Josh Billings
29. Diligence is not easy, but we can’t reach our goals without it. –Henry Cloud et al.
30. What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog. –Dwight Eisenhower
31. Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. –The Bible
32. Integrity is formed, not born, one decision at a time. –Jeff O’Leary
33. In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity. –Albert Einstein
34. Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. –Ayn Rand
35. Every single successful person I’ve ever spoken to had a turning point. The turning point was when they made a clear, specific unequivocal decision that they were not going to live like this anymore; they were going to achieve success. –Brian Tracy
36. Show class, have pride and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself. –Paul “Bear” Bryant
37. The most rewarding things you can do in life are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. –Arnold Palmer
38. Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant. –Robert Louis Stevenson
39. There’s always a way through things if you work hard enough and look close. It all depends on your level of determination. –Liz Murray
Fourth Quarter: Finish Strong.
40. Well done is better than well said. –Benjamin Franklin
41. People forget how fast you did a job—but they remember how well you did it. –Howard Newton
42. I will go anywhere provided it’s forward. –David Livingstone
43. Nothing liberates our greatness like the desire to help, the desire to serve. –Marianne Williamson
44. I resolve never to do anything I wouldn’t do if it were the last hour of my life. –Jonathan Edwards
45. In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you. –The Bible
46. We can do no great things; only small things with great love. –Mother Teresa
47. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond to it. –Chuck Swindoll
48. Don’t be afraid to take a big step. You can’t cross a chasm in two small jumps. –David Lloyd George
49. You have not lived a perfect day, even though you have earned your money, unless you have done something for someone, who will never be able to repay you. –Ruth Smeltzer
50. Nice guys may appear to finish last, but usually they are running in a different race. –Blanchard and Peale
51. Up is not an easy direction. It defies gravity, both cultural and magnetic. –Mike Abrashoff
52. Let gratitude for the past inspire us with trust for the future. –Francois Fenelon
© 2012 Dora Weithers
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on August 25, 2016:
Thanks Ann. I'd say these quotes came for the most part from some wise people. Glad you found some you really like.
Ann810 from Sunny Cali on August 25, 2016:
I like where you mention "To put the Lord first, Take the first step," and the quote by John C. Maxwell "Not to run on the fast track, but to run at our own track."
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on November 16, 2013:
John, thank you for your encouraging comment. Have a great day every day!
John Carlos from India on November 15, 2013:
Must say it made my day , These are some of the very inspiring liners.
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on August 13, 2013:
Great meeting you, Elizabeth. Glad the quotes had a positive effect on you!
Elizabeth Parker from Las Vegas, NV on August 13, 2013:
Love these quotes- this was one of my favorites- # 7 was my favorite. So funny. Thanks for the inspirational day brightener!
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on April 19, 2013:
Iguidenetwork, you made my day. It always makes me happy when someone finds my work inspiring. Hope your nights get better.
iguidenetwork from Austin, TX on April 19, 2013:
I work at home, but still the stress is pretty much the same as working in the office. Thanks for your inspiring quotes to get me through sleepless nights and deadlines. Voted up and awesome
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on February 17, 2013:
Elizabeth, so glad that you find the list useful. Praying that is helps to lessen the stress. Thanks for sharing.
Elizabeth Mara from New Hampshire on February 16, 2013:
Thank you for assembling and publishing this list, MsDora! I am fortunate to find it during a stressfull period at my own workplace; I will bring in a quote to pin to the bulletin board on Monday. Emerson offers great perspective!
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on November 10, 2012:
Thanks Alocsin. "Attempt the impossible in order to improve your work" is really a good one.
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on November 10, 2012:
A good list to post at work and consult when the job gets you down. My favorite one is by Bette Davis. Voting this Up and Interesting.
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on October 16, 2012:
My pleasure, DDE. Happy that you like them.
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on October 16, 2012:
Thanks for sharing such great quotes o f wisdom
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on September 09, 2012:
Thanks, Lady E. Glad to inspire.
Elena from London, UK on September 09, 2012:
This was lovely to read and very inspiring, thanks.
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on August 01, 2012:
Thanks Eve. Makes me laugh too. It is a clean, practical joke. I can see me in the scene.
Eve on August 01, 2012:
The quotes are awesome. The video makes me laugh out loud.
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on July 31, 2012:
So glad that you like the quotes. I hope they encourage you as much as they encourage me.
cardelean from Michigan on July 31, 2012:
This is an incredible list of quotes MsDora. Since it is almost back to work time for me, I will be taking a much closer look at these in the next few weeks and keeping the quote of the week on my desk. Thanks for this great list.
Dora Weithers (author) from The Caribbean on July 30, 2012:
Thanks for your continual encouragement. I appreciate you!
manatita44 from london on July 30, 2012:
Excellent hub and truly inspirational. Keep it up!!