ASAP Methodology :SAP Implementation Phases
What Is ASAP Methodology?
ASAP stands for Accelerated SAP. ASAP Methodology is one of the important Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) used for SAP Implementation projects. SAP is one of the best ERP systems and ASAP Methodology is the way how SAP implementation happens. SAP projects are long and intense. It requires lots of efforts and many resources from developers to managers. It can be really tricky if SAP projects are not planned in a proper form. SAP itself gives a proper methodology to design the project so it will give reliable results.
The ASAP methodology provides the proper framework for implementation road map. SAP Implementation consists of several phases. These phases consist every stage of software development life style (SDLC) for SAP implementation. ASAP Methodology divides project according to these vital phases. Each phase is considered a milestone. Project management team can concentrate on the current phase and start preparing for the next phase. This also provides a better road map and work distribution. The ASAP methodology provides a framework for SAP projects for implementation, enhancement as well customization needed for production support.
SAP Implementation Phases
6 Phases of SAP Implementation Project:
- Project Preparation
- Business Blueprint
- Final Preparation
- Go Live
- Post production Support
ASAP Methodology—SAP Implementation Phases
More Reading About SAP
- What is SAP ? Everything you need to know about SAP software
Here is everything you need to know about SAP. You will get answers of what is SAP ? How SAP software works ? Why SAP is one of the top ERP system ? You also get to know about different SAP modules.
- SAP FICO Training Tutorial
This is an article on basic understating on SAP software and about SAP FICO. Here is SAP FICO Training curriculum you can follow.
Accelerated SAP Methodology Roadmap
Which Phase of ASAP Methodology is More Important?
Phases of ASAP Methodology
The ASAP methodology includes correct pathway for SAP implementation projects. It consists 6 steps, these 6 steps are 6 major phases of SAP implementation.
SAP Implementation Phases are Presales, Preparation, Business blueprint, realization, post goes live, post production. Here we are going to discuss all the steps in details.
- Presale of ERP In this presale phase, ERP (SAP) try to get the project from the client. Most clients consider more than one option for their business and then give all option a try to see which one provides the best result. In most cases, clients get the ERP software licence directly from the software companies. This step may or may not include a test to check which ERP system is best suitable for the client.
- Preparation Once client decided its ERP system, then they prepare landscape of the project. In this step Server information, project cost, resources, Subject Matter Experts (SME), business teams are decided by the PMO. PMO stands for the Project Management Organization. It consists Project Managers, Steering Committee, Core business members and sponsors. Project team studies legacy system, gathers information regarding core systems, interfaces, what interfaces client wants, what are necessary, what are nice to have, etc. Core team carry out as is studying, it is the study of the current system and its processes. The project management team also hire resources and carry out project planning and outline.
- Business Blueprint In this phase core team carry out to be studied.Then team does GAP analysis. It is the differences between as is and to be studied. Allocated resources write down the rules and requirements for the new system. Integration points, interfaces and process maps are finalized. Functional specification written by functional consultants. If needed technical specifications written down for developers to do further configuration. Testing team also started working on preparing testing steps and scenarios. Financial specification and technical specifications are created in this step for further development and configurations.
- Realization In realization step, functional consultant carried out configuration. Development is done for the required customization. Testing carried out by the core team. Basis configuration carried out by the security team. Basis team moves all configurations from one server to another for testing purpose. Testing is mostly done in the quality control server. All the configuration upload master data across all modules (sample load of few parts or entire data end as per client wants). Unit testing and integration testing has been done by the testing team. Unit testing, integration testing and day in the life testing happens at this stage.
- Pre Goes Live Phase In this step, all configurations from the golden client will be moved to other services. Uploading master data into new system mostly using LSMW, BAPI or BADI. Cut over activities done only when we stop legacy system and start using the SAP system. End user training and user documentation is carried out in pre go live stage. After all cuts over activities, SAP implementation goes live in a production environment.
- Post-Production Support In this step, the team helps client to solve if any production issue came regarding configuration, master data change or transaction issue.Also the team will provide training to users and super users. All the support documentation work has been completed in this step.
In a Nutshell
ASAP Methodology is just a project implementation methodology given by SAP itself. In ASAP methodology, project is broken down in 6 phases. This provides ease in completion and gives easy focus for project management team.