10 Characteristics of Successful People
I've spent a lot of my life observing people.
When I was younger, I loved people watching at airports. The way people carried themselves, how they were dressed, their facial expressions and body language left so much to the imagination. I couldn't help but wonder about the lives behind the faces. What life experiences shaped them into who they became? Where were they going and where were they coming from? These thoughts always fascinated me and still do when I'm in airports.
Today I spend more time studying people in general. I read about entrepreneurs who have started from scratch and built their way to success. Actors and actresses who have “made it big” despite limited formal education. Stories of people who have beaten the odds by not allowing their backgrounds or current circumstances to define them. Even watching my friends, family members, and people in my work environment has been very enlightening.
As a result of my observations, I've learned to associate certain characteristics with success. I define success as living a fulfilling life you're at peace with because it gives you a clear sense of purpose. Although it may not necessarily mean earning a high income, in many cases it does have that end result.
Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.— Albert Schweitzer
10 Characteristics of Successful People:
1. They surround themselves with like-minded people. Successful people choose to spend time with people who are moving forward in their lives and who are determined to make the most of their talents and skills.
Being around these kinds of people encourages and energizes them to press on in their own lives and to make the most of their own skills and talents.
2. They enjoy what they do. Successful people have a passion that is evident and it propels them to excel at what they do. You meet these people and you have a sense that they're exactly where they're supposed to be.
It may not be where they want to be ten or even five years from now, but it's where they know they should be today in order to move on to where they want to be later.
Fulfilling their current role is part of their “life script,” and this gives their life meaning and purpose.
3. They are confident in their abilities. Successful people don’t let setbacks or others’ criticism get them down. They have an “I can do this” attitude which is appealing, not cocky.
You're around these people and you know they're competent at what they do because their confidence breeds competence.
They succeed not because they think they can but because they know they can. In some cases, even an inflated sense of their worth and abilities actually works in their favor.
4. They work hard. Successful people get up early. Many believe their most productive time of the day is early morning and they're at their desks tackling their work before most people have stepped into their morning shower. They understand that getting up early gives them a head start on the day and an edge over their competitors.
This doesn't necessarily mean they work longer hours. They use their time wisely and take breaks when needed so they can continue to work refreshed and recharged.
5. They take care of themselves. Successful people realize they can only offer their best when they take care of their bodies by eating healthy foods, getting sufficient rest, and exercising. As a result, they not only feel better, but also look better, which in turn boosts their self-confidence.
They have a life outside of work, engaging in hobbies and activities they enjoy and spending time with people they like and who make them feel good about themselves.
6. They are persistent. Successful people see problems as opportunities to find or create effective solutions. They don’t give up.
This is where being stubborn is an asset!
When they fall, they pick themselves up again and keep going. They know that if they keep at it, they'll eventually get the results or outcome they want.
7. They are risk-takers. Successful people understand that they can't move forward without taking risks. They believe that if they shoot for the moon and miss, the worse that will happen is they'll land among the stars.
They're willing to shoot for the moon because they want to succeed!
They've learned to see what others might consider failures as stepping stones to success. They know that these experiences have taught them valuable lessons which will serve them well later.
8. They put others first. Successful people listen and put themselves in the other person’s shoes. In return, others feel validated by them, which makes them want to keep working with them.
In many cases, successful people are very involved in charity work and have a strong desire to help the underprivileged.
9. They have a plan of action. Successful people don’t just envision success. They have a concrete plan for getting to where they want to be.
They create specific goals for themselves and hold themselves accountable by measuring and evaluating their progress toward these goals regularly.
10. They live for something bigger than themselves. It may be a belief that they're living to serve a higher power. It may be a strong belief in family values or love for their country or for their fellow man.
Successful people believe that their actions matter and that they can have a positive influence in the world and in the lives of other people.
Living for something outside of themselves gives them a great sense of purpose and deep rooted motivation to be the best they can be at whatever they do.
How do you define success?
By observing the specific characteristics of successful people, we can follow their lead to help us achieve our own goals and dreams. Each step we take in adopting any of these characteristics is a step of success as well as a step toward success, because each step we take draws us closer to where we want to be!
© 2015 Geri McClymont