As a writer and businessperson, I enjoy helping people find the right words for common workplace situations.
How to Give Your Best Wishes to a Departing Teammate or Coworker
This article includes a collection of original farewell messages for colleagues, bosses, and employees. If someone in your workplace or office has resigned or is moving on, try incorporating these ideas into your own personal goodbye letter, speech, or message.
If you are unsure of what tone to strike in your letter, use a casual, informal tone while wishing your best to colleagues at the same level as you in the organizational hierarchy and bosses with whom you share a good rapport. Use a formal tone, in line with the company image, for messages to people below you in the organization's hierarchy.
In This Article
- Tips for how to make your message your own
- Short goodbye messages perfect for texts
- Farewell messages for colleagues
- Farewell messages for bosses and managers
- Farewell messages for employees and subordinates
Tips for How to Make Your Message Your Own
Your relationship with your boss, coworker, or subordinate is unique, so the messages in this article should only be treated as starting points. Feel free to revise and modify them to fit your specific situation. Here are some ideas for how to tailor these messages to suit the person you are sharing them with:
- Recognize their strengths without hyperbole: People treasure compliments about themselves that they think are true. Try to think about things your coworker is proud of, whether it's being down-to-earth, competitive, thoughtful, resourceful, or creative.
- Weave in a memory: Remember a good time you shared that exemplified that person's strengths. For example, was there a moment when their sense of humor or work ethic really helped the team?
- Throw in an inside joke: Is there something someone at your office always says or something that is a common occurrence at your workplace? Weave in an inside joke to make the message personal and genuine.
No matter what, the key to a goodbye message is to convey how much you've treasured working with your teammate and how much they will be missed. In the following sections, we'll go over ideas for how to phrase your message.
Short Goodbye Messages for Text and Email
- Working with you has made every day (and even every late night) a blast.
- Now that you're leaving, I'll have to look for a new partner in crime.
- You have been a friend—not just a colleague. Best of luck, buddy.
- Now who will talk office gossip with me?
- Today, I'll play boss: Get yourself to the pub so that I can buy you a round!
- Par excellence! even fancy French words can't express how great you are.
- It's a pity to see one of our best leave. Good luck and stay awesome!
- You exemplified excellence. Good luck in your new role!
- It'll be a relief not to have you around anymore. Just kidding—you will be sorely missed.
- I'm sad to see you go because you've not only been a great coworker but also a great friend.
- Your next job will be lucky to have you. It's safe to say we envy them their new employee.
Farewell Messages for Colleagues
- From the day when we stayed until midnight to complete the accounts at the end of the year to the Monday when we came to work hungover to the month we smashed all the KPI to the meeting when we convinced the bosses to let us take on our development project to the coffee breaks to the office gossip—I cherish the time we spent as colleagues. Every moment of working with you has been a pleasure that I will treasure. Best of luck at your new job!
- The high points of coming to work every day have been laughing with you, celebrating targets together, and going out for lunch and drinks. I doubt we will be able to find another colleague half as cool as you.
- You are the rock star that every office needs. You are the super worker that every company wants. You are the deal maker that every corporation would kill for. You are going to go places, mate. Congratulations on your promotion, but know I'm sad to see you leave.
- It'll be a relief to not have you around anymore. Finally, I am going to have some peace of mind. Haha, just kidding, buddy. Best of luck!
- Achieving targets, knocking down KPIs, and getting work done seemed like child's play with you around. No other colleague will be able to fill your void. Your presence will be missed, mate.
- One of the things I have always looked forward to at work is having you around. Now that you are leaving, I am going to have to look for another partner in crime. I still hope that you change your mind and that I will see your cheerful face when I come into work on Monday morning.
- Do you remember when we busted our client's dull idea? Do you remember when you covered for me when I snuck away from work to meet my hubby? I could go on and on about all the crazy things that we have done together. Best of luck, partner. I will miss you.
- You made me feel like a part of the family from my very first day of work here. Thanks for making my work life a whole lot easier. I hope you find success in all your future endeavors.
- I have a gut feeling that I am going to end up meeting you sometime again in life. Until then, be the all-star employee that you have always been. See you around.
Read More From Toughnickel
- It is a pity that you are leaving because you have been my best mate in the office. Who am I going to gossip with now? I'm gonna miss you tons.
- I can't believe you are leaving. The office won't be the same without you. I will miss you dearly.
- Whoever recruited you has a keen eye. It's not easy to find gems like you anymore. All the best, mate. I am sure that you will spread success wherever you go.
- You are the best work colleague anyone could ever wish for. I'm sad to see you go, but I hope you get whatever you have set out to achieve in your life. Good luck.
- I may have lost a fantastic work colleague, but I find solace in the fact that our friendship will endure.
- Who am I going to share office gossip with? Who will I hang out with in the cafeteria? Who will come with me to our favorite café for lunch? Work is going to be a dull place without you. Your sense of humor, positive attitude, and fun-loving personality will be dearly missed.
- Your future coworkers have no idea what they are in for. You're a kind, funny, highly skilled professional and a go-getter to boot. Now go get 'em, tiger!
- They say that employees are the real assets of a company. I never realized the true meaning behind that phrase until the day you handed in your resignation. Our team is going to be lost without you because you were the real-life hero who made things happen around here.
- You are not just a work colleague; you are a true superstar for bailing me out of trouble every time I messed up. Thanks for watching my back. What will I do without you?
- This place is going to feel empty without the cheerful attitude that you bring in every single day. You have been a fantastic work mate, and I have cherished our working relationship to the last bit. Best of luck!
Farewell Messages for Bosses and Managers
- For once, we are going to give the orders around here. We instruct you to reach the pub by 6 pm so we can treat you to many rounds of goodbye drinks. Catch you there!
- You have redefined the way bosses are usually perceived in corporate culture. You have replaced the words fear and power with the words encouragement and respect. We will miss having a boss like you.
- Bidding farewell to a really cool and dynamic boss isn't easy. We will miss your magnanimous personality on the office floor. Thanks for everything, boss.
- It is going to be tough to see your office empty tomorrow. Have an awesome time at your new job. All the best.
- You have selflessly mentored me since my first day at the company. It is the company's loss to see a leader like you move on.
- Bosses like you are one in a million. We know that you are going to spread smiles and light up lives wherever you go. You will be dearly missed. Best of luck.
- Progress, success, and fame follow you everywhere you go. We wish we could follow you, too. Here's to a rosy future, boss. Farewell.
- Despite our love-hate relationship, I have always been inspired by your positive attitude in the office. I strive to be like you someday. Thanks for being there for us. We will miss you.
- Did you know that they don't make bosses like you anymore? The next team you manage is going to be lucky to have you. Farewell and cheers!
- You are the boss that every employee in this world would dream of having as a mentor. We are sure that you will enlighten minds wherever you go next. Best of luck!
- Par excellence, crème de la crème, raison d'être—even the fanciest of French words are not enough to describe what an amazing boss you are. Farewell and keep up your game.
- We viciously hope that you won't enjoy your next role and will decide to come back to us. Just kidding. You know too well that we wish you nothing but the best.
- There is nothing I can say to show you how much your guidance has fueled my growth in the company. I will always remain in your debt for encouraging me and lifting me up every step of the way.
- Our hearts skipped a beat when you announced your resignation. It took time to sink in because it's hard to imagine working here without you. We all wish you good luck in your new role.
- Bosses like you are rare. We are lucky to have been coached and mentored by the best. Farewell.
- We cringed when you gave us unachievable targets but smiled when you helped us achieve them day after day. With a heavy heart, we bid farewell to the best boss in the whole world.
- With a generous boss like you, we have been spoiled silly. We will miss you.
- As they say, all good things must come to an end. It was terrific working for a boss like you who gave professionalism a whole new meaning. Thanks, mate, and good luck!
- Now that you are not my boss anymore, can I just tell you how annoying you have been? Just kidding; here is the truth: You have been the least annoying and most respectable boss I've ever had. The entire team and the whole office will miss you dearly.
- Bosses come in all shapes and sizes, but very few are the complete package. You brought out the best in every single team member. That's a talent even the most educated and experienced managers don't have. How lucky we have been to learn from the best of the best. Your teachings and advice will be the foundation of our careers. Goodbye, boss—you are nothing less than a real-life superstar.
Farewell Messages for Employees and Subordinates
- It is a pity to see one of our best employees leave. We wish you luck in everything you do. Farewell and all the best!
- I am really sad to see you go today because you have been a terrific employee and a good friend. All the best, mate! I'll catch you during after-office drinks at the pub.
- With your levels of performance, dedication, and professionalism, you have set the bar high for future employees. Keep up the awesome work in your next position!
- It has been a pleasure having an employee like you on my team. Your absence is my loss. Thank you for putting in years of hard work. I wish you nothing but the best in your future career.
- Employees like you are hard to come by. The company was lucky to benefit from your talent for all these years. Farewell and good luck for the future.
- You gave 100 percent and much more. We value your contribution to the company. All the best!
- Determination, grit, dedication, commitment, and hard work are second nature to you. We are sure you will take these qualities with you wherever you go. Good luck.
- Your skills are unbeatable, and your attitude at work is unmatched. We couldn't have asked for more. Well done, mate!
- Who is going to bring life to all our meetings and brainstorming sessions in your absence? We will always remember you as a company all-star and one of the best employees we have had. All the best, mate.
- You always pushed the boundaries in every task that you took on. You were an ideal employee, and we have been fortunate to have you all this time. We wish you good luck in all your future endeavors!
- You redefined competition, exemplified excellence, and were a role model in every way for your colleagues. We appreciate all the efforts you have put in.
- You were and always will be one of our most sincere and dynamic employees. We are sad to see you go.
- The professionalism that you brought to the office floor was unparalleled. You have been a source of motivation and inspiration for your colleagues. All the best in your future endeavors!
- You have been an asset to the company every single day. I envy your next employer but wish you the best in all the steps you take to fulfill your career ambitions.
- We are sad to see you go, but we are happy to have had the chance to work with a dynamic young individual like yourself. We wish you good luck and success in your next role with your new employer.
- Your resignation sent ripples through the office because you were everyone's favorite. We wish you could have stayed forever. All the best.
- As your manager and boss, I deeply feel the loss of a valuable employee like you. Nevertheless, I am very excited for you, and I'm sure you will excel in anything you choose to pursue.
- Your customer service skills were exemplary. I truly respect that you went the extra mile to uphold the company image. You are welcome back anytime. Best of luck, buddy.
- Please accept our token of appreciation for your many years of service to the company. You will be missed. Best of luck in your new position!
- I hope that you have had as much fun working for me as I have had managing you. "Phenomenally Hardworking and Incredibly Talented" is how I would title your recommendation letter. Good luck in your new role.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Ivan Nkalubo on August 21, 2020:
big thanks for this useful statements
Rekha R on February 24, 2020:
Thanks for meaningful statements
Lulu on February 21, 2019:
I did appreciate it.
Mahadev sa on July 13, 2018:
It's helpful nice
Dee on June 25, 2018:
Many thanks for this
Neesa on February 07, 2018:
Kudos for phenomenal ideas. Thank You!
Moses Lukas on December 01, 2016:
Thank you for great insights.
Zakiuddin Oonwala on September 25, 2016:
Thank you for wonderful ideas.
ijaz ajez Taunsa Pakistan on July 28, 2016:
Thank you providing us great hub
DeviousOne from Sydney, Australia on October 17, 2012:
I like the ones which emphasise friendship showing that work isn't all about work. Voted up
iguidenetwork from Austin, TX on October 02, 2012:
Thanks for posting this wonderful hub. I voted this up and useful. :)
Eiddwen from Wales on September 13, 2012:
A great hub;interesting and useful !!!Thanks for sharing and I voyte up here.