Patrick, a computer technician, is a dedicated writer who wishes to make the world better by informing individuals who seek more knowledge.
How to Pay NSSF Online
NSSF or the National Social Security Fund was established in 1965 by an Act of Parliament. This is to administer a provident fund scheme for all workers in Kenya.
The role of NSSF is to provide Social Security Protection to all workers in the formal and informal sectors in retirement.
NSSF New Employer Registration Form
What You Should Know About the New NSSF Rates
- The new NSSF member contributions have been increased to grow your retirement foundation for an even better future.
- Employee contributions range from 360 shillings to a maximum of 1080 shillings per month for the first year.
- Employers will also be contributing an equal amount as the employer
- Voluntary contributor: The minimum monthly contributions are 200 shillings, up from 100 shillings.
The option we are going to discuss here will help any employer prepare a payment slip online. Then one will be able to make payment in any bank.
Any employer needs to make payments on time, that is, by the 15th of every month to avoid penalties.
Contributions are deducted and remitted fully by the 15th day of the successive month.
Late payments of the compulsory contributions will attract a 5 per cent penalty of the total contribution for the month or the part of the month remitted late.
Accessing the Employer Self-Service Portal
Locate the Employer Self Service tab and click on it. There are three things you need to note which will help you determine which step to take.
1. Procedure for New Employer Registration
Employer Preregistration: This option is for employers who want to register for NSSF contributions and get their NSSF number for the first time.
Procedure for New Employer Registration
- Click the employer self-service link.
- For new employers (without prior NSSF registration number) click Employer Registration.
- Complete the form displayed accurately, and once done, click on the Save button.
- Print the application notification and contact the nearest NSSF office for certification.
You can go to the nearest NSSF branch or contact them on the phone. Contacts for the nearest NSSF branch are available on the same web page.
When filling the form for the new registration, these helpful instructions might come in handy.
Read More From Toughnickel
- In the provided form you first indicate the username and password you want to use for your company. You will be using this to log in to the Self Service Portal. Fill all the required fields that are marked with an asterisk (*).
- The Username: It must be made of 8–12 Latin characters or digits.
- Password: It must consist of 8–15 characters and include digits. The longer the combination of alphanumeric and special characters you enter, the stronger and safest your password will be.
- Verify Password: Enter the same Password into this field for verification purposes.
- In the Visual Verification Code field, you need to enter the characters that you see in the image directly above it. If you are uncertain about the content of the visual verification image you see, you are free to click the "Refresh" link to get a new code.
After clicking on the save button, the values you entered in each field will be checked for validity. In case of a wrong entry, an appropriate error message will be displayed suggesting which fields are invalid.
If the validation check is successful, your registration application will be stored in the system.
After successful entry, print the registration information that will appear on-screen and take it to any NSSF Branch Office. At the branch, you will be provided with an NSSF Encoded Pin Key.
Once you are issued with a Pin Key from the NSSF office, go to the option of Employer Activation.
Type in Username, Password, and the NSSF encoded Pin Key then click activate to complete the activation process.
2. Existing Employer eCertification
This option is for existing employers who already have an NSSF number but are not yet enrolled online.
Be prepared with your company details such as the username you intend to use, password, employer number, KRA PIN, and your company address details.
- Click the Employer Self Service link
- Click the Existing Employer eCertification link.
- Complete the form displayed accurately.
- Submit the form and print the application notification details. Then visit the nearest NSSF office for certification.
- At the branch, you will be provided with an NSSF Encoded Pin Key.
- Type in Username, Password, and Pin Key then click activate to complete the activation process.
- Then use your username and password to log in.
Existing Employer eCertification
3. Employer Recertification
This option is for those people who are already e-Service registered users but have lost or forgotten both their Encoded Key and their Username or Password.
You are required to fill in all the details with an asterisk, type the code and then save the form. Remember to use a new username and password.
After saving, if the details are correct, you will be given registration information that you are supposed to print and take to any NSSF branch. The officials there will provide you with an Encoded NSSF PIN Key.
Now with the pin, you will be able to recover forgotten/lost credentials. Enter the account information which includes username, NSSF Employer ID, KRA PIN and Encoded NSSF Pin Key.
Create a new password for your portal login. Enter the visual verification code and save the form. After that, you can log in to your portal ready to process your NSSF payment slip.
How to Prepare and Submit NSSF Payroll Return
- Prepare your payroll excel file for the month. This is achieved by downloading the payroll template from the quick links and resources tab.
- Go to employer self-service and click payroll and payment processing. On the user log in, type your username, password and then log in.
- Click on Payroll Converter.
- Create Payroll Period (MM/YYYY, e.g. 11/2020 for November 2020).
- Select Payroll Type (Select Regular except for special cases).
- Select the desired level of contribution.
- Upload the Payroll File to convert and check the progress.
- Click on Upload produced SF24.
- Click on Check Submission and check progress.
- Click on Submission to submit Return.
- Click on Payment Order to create eSlip. Here you will see the file you have created, drag and drop it in the area written “!!!Drop Unpaid SF24s here!!!”
- Select payment mode and bank code.
- At the top of the page, locate the save file icon and click it. A payment slip will be generated. Print it and use it for your payment.
NSSF Self Service Portal
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Question: When preparing a NSSF payment slip and I upload and it shows an error that the number of columns is wrong what do I do?
Answer: The best thing is to make sure you are using the template provided by NSSF. Just download it and use it to fill your information. That way, you can be sure to get no errors.
Question: How can I retrieve a saved NSSF payment slip for printing?
Answer: Click on payment receipts option on the left-hand side. Under the choose date range option, enter the start date and end date of the month you want. Then click on the search option. Results will appear with the receipt number, receipt date, period, and total amount. If you click on the search icon (magnifying glass) you will get more details about the payment you made. Below the details, you will see the print icon.
© 2018 Patrick Kamau
Elsie kanini on June 10, 2020:
How can i get the receipt online?
Elsie kanini on June 10, 2020:
How can i get the receipt online?
Conso on June 09, 2020:
How can i reprint payment slip?
Mwenda on June 09, 2020:
ERROR CODE 004: Members contribution exceeds maximum amount. ERROR CODE 005: Employers contribution exceeds maximum amount. Why are these error codes appearing now and my data is the same as previously approved submissions?
consolata on June 03, 2020:
want to generate e slip but keeps saying in progress for two days
Albert on May 28, 2020:
i would like to generate an eslip for my institution,
1. do i have to register my employees in the NSSF system?
2. the institution has not been paying the returns for the last few months. what should i do because the system is stating that i have pending submissions?
3. if i would like to do the payments via mpesa do have to provide a bank code?
nancy on April 09, 2020:
am generating the e-slip but it keeps on saying the submission is in progress. assist
Benard on April 01, 2020:
WHY CANT THEY HAVE AN EXCEL TEMPLATE AS KRA AND NHIF
Patrick on March 15, 2020:
Does the eslip expire after generation before payment is done?
CLAIRE on March 12, 2020:
how to i generate a payslip
SHEILA on March 05, 2020:
how can i get back my payment order receipt to reprint it again
JOYCE on March 04, 2020:
I WANT TO ADD MORE EMPLOYEES ON MY LIST BUT IM GIVEN A LIMIT OF MY PREVIOUS NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES.
Sabina on December 10, 2019:
How do i correct a stuctural error of salary
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on November 22, 2019:
Hello Florence, yes fill in all the sections except for the voluntary if there is no one paying for himself or herself.
florence on November 21, 2019:
is it compulsory to fill in kra pin of the employee while preparing nssf payroll excel file
Patrick Kamau (author) from Nairobi, Kenya on September 24, 2019:
Yes Gideon you can generate but you have to do it per month.
GIDEON on September 05, 2019:
AM I ABLE TO GENERATE NSSF ESLIP OF FOUR MONTH?