Thank-You Notes and Appreciation Messages for a Boss
Ways to Say "Thank You" to a Boss or Manager
Sometimes it can be hard to figure out what to write when you want to tell your boss how much you appreciate them.
To help, here are some example messages and letters that you can use to either write in a greeting card or send in an email to thank your employer or manager for guiding, inspiring, encouraging, and motivating you. This article also contains tips on how to write a thank-you letter to them for their support and inspiration.
Sample Farewell Messages for a Manager Who Is Leaving
- I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you for being my manager and mentor. You helped shape my career and professional life and showed me how to transform my mistakes into skills. I really appreciate everything you have taught me!
- Your leadership skills make it easy for you to manage our team, even with our diverse professional background. I’m proud to have learned some of these qualities from you. Thank you for guiding me professionally and personally!
- Words can neither qualify nor quantify how helpful your guidance and advice has been. I am forever grateful for your support!
- You have been a great manager, mentor, teacher, and guide. Your support and advice have helped shape my professional career. Thanks for being the best boss ever!
- The success I've had in my career is due in no small part to your support and encouragement. I appreciate you so much and value everything that I have learned from you.
- Thanks for being our manager and role model. We appreciate all the knowledge and skills you've imparted to us. Thanks for being a great leader!
- Your leadership and words of encouragement mean a lot to me. I’m very grateful for the opportunities you have given me. Thank you once again for all your time and effort!
- I would like to show my profound gratitude for the experience that I've gained from you. You have been an exemplary boss and manager. Thank you!
- Please accept this thank-you card from me to express a million thanks to you for your guidance and support.
- I would like to express my gratitude to you for being a role model and an inspiration. Thanks for teaching me so much.
- The quality of your leadership has been an inspiration to me. Thank you so much for being a wonderful director.
- Your guidance and advice helped brighten my career and professional life. Thank you for being the best manager in the world!
- Thank you for all your support and encouragement, I hope that I can look forward to working with you again in the future.
- It's not easy to find a true leader to look up to, so it’s been a wonderful experience to work with a great boss like you. Thanks for helping me become known as an expert in my field.
- The whole team would like to express our gratitude to you for being an inspiration to us. Thanks so much for everything!
- Working under your leadership was a great chance for me to grow professionally and personally. Thank you for your support!
- I would like to thank you for all that you have done for me. I’m grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to work with you and have enjoyed my time working under your leadership. Thank you so much!
- You inspired me during difficult times when I needed words of encouragement. You are a blessing in my life. Thanks for all your support and advice.
- I will forever be grateful for the knowledge and skills that I have gained working under you. Thank you!
- We would like to say that you’re the best boss we could ever have dreamed of working with. Thank you for your support and inspiration!
Sample Farewell Email
I wanted to write to say thank you for being a fantastic boss, mentor, and friend. You have taught me so much in my time here and I honestly can’t thank you enough for your kindness, generosity, and support.
You are a role model for me and many others in our organization, and though I am sad to see you go, I know that you will excel in whatever you do next. I’m grateful for the time that we’ve been able to work together and am happy knowing that you will go on to affect many others in your career.
Thanks again, and best of luck.
Thank You Messages for a Promotion
- Thank you again for the promotion. It means a lot to me and I will continue trying to work to the best of my abilities.
- Thank you so much for the promotion and for having faith in me. I feel very grateful to have a boss who appreciates and values her employees. I look forward to continuing to do great work with you.
- This promotion means a lot to me. You have taught me so much and I know there’s, even more, to learn as I take on these new responsibilities. Thanks again!
- I am very excited by this promotion and by the opportunity to continue doing great work with you and at this company.
- It means so much to me that you have faith in my abilities to take on a manager role. I feel confident that I will do a good job because you have been an excellent example for me. Thanks again!
- Thank you for believing in me! I’m so excited about this promotion and can’t wait to get started. Let’s do great work!
- You have taught me so much since I started working here — I look forward to continuing to do great work with you in my new role. Thank you for the promotion!
- Wow. I am so thankful for this promotion. Thank you for believing in me and showing me how to leverage my skills and talent.
- Did you promote me just to get rid of me? Even if you did, I’m still so grateful for all the help and guidance you’ve provided me over the years. To a bright future!
- I’m so excited about this promotion — thank you for being my advocate and for helping me gain the skills I needed to be able to take this on!
Example Thank You Email for a Promotion
Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. I have worked very hard to gain the skills and experience necessary to do this job well, and I am grateful that my efforts have been noticed and rewarded.
I’m very excited by my new role and look forward to learning as much as possible and fulfilling your expectations of me.
Thank you so much for having faith in me and my abilities — I know I will continue to learn from your example.
Saying Thanks for a Raise
- Thank you for the raise! I will work as hard as ever and do my best to never let you down. Thanks again!
- Thank you so much for the raise. I am very appreciative of the support that you have shown me and am grateful for the way that you have been my advocate in this organization. You are a fantastic leader and I look forward to continuing to work with you.
- Let’s go to lunch sometime—on me. Thank you for the raise!
- This raise means so much to me — it shows that you have faith in my abilities and are confident in my role at this company. I look forward to continuing to work hard and improve. Thanks again!
- Thank you for the bonus — we worked really hard last year and it means a lot to me that our efforts were noticed. Thanks again!
- Thank you for the raise — it means so much to me that my hard work is noticed and appreciated. Thanks again!
- Drinks on me tonight! Thanks so much for the raise — I look forward to doing more great work with you at this company.
- Thank you for the raise. I appreciate most of all the fact you have faith in me and in my abilities at this company. Thanks again.
- I am so humbled by this raise. I feel very grateful to be a part of a company that cares so much about its employees and is always seeking their best interest.
- Thank you so much for the raise, for your support, and for your motivation in my time at this company. I am so happy to be a part of this organization.
Simple Appreciation Messages
- Thanks for the kind words and guidance! Your encouragement means a lot to me.
- I admire your leadership and decision-making skills — I hope to continue learning from you and appreciate all your encouragement and support. Accept my heartfelt gratitude!
- Thanks for giving me an opportunity to work with you. You are truly an interesting boss that anyone would be lucky to work with.
- Your time and effort mean a lot to me. Thanks for being an amazing manager!
- Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and the inspiration that you provide every day. It is a blast to work for you!
- I have learned so many great things from you since day one. Thank you for helping me improve my skills and leadership abilities. You’re a fantastic manager and teacher.
- You make it easy to want to work hard. Thanks for being a great manager.
- Since beginning to work with you, I have learned so much that has helped me become a better professional and a better person. Thank you for giving me this chance!
- You are a wonderful boss who knows how to bring out the best in your employees. Please accept my heartfelt gratitude for all the support and motivation!
- You are so helpful, kind, and generous with your time and energy. Thank you so much for being an excellent manager!
- I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you as my manager and friend. You are relentlessly helpful, not to mention you are very skilled and have much to teach. Thank you!
Short Appreciation Messages
- Thanks for helping me identify my talents and work towards pursuing them!
- Thank you for all the opportunities you have given me to brighten my career!
- Your guidance has been so important in shaping my professional life — thank you!
- Thanks for bringing out the best in me!
- Thanks for being a manager and mentor who cares so much for his employees!
- Thank you for recognizing and rewarding my contributions at work!
- Thanks for imparting knowledge and skills that have helped brighten my career and professional life.
- My heart just keeps thanking you for everything you taught me. Thanks!
- You are a fantastic manager! Thanks for supporting me, teaching me, and sticking up for me!
- You are the world’s #1 boss! (In my book at least).
How to Write a Thank You Letter to Your Boss When Leaving
Writing a thank-you letter to a boss does not have to be daunting, though it can seem that way at times. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Express what you are thankful for in a simple and polite way. Try saying it out loud first — just say the words that you're trying to express. Once you've tried several ways to say it out loud, try writing one down.
- Give some specific examples about what you appreciate about them. Are they always on time? Do they remember important events in your life? Do they conduct all of their business fairly?
- Thank them once again, saying how much you appreciate it. A look towards the future can be a good touch towards the end— something like "I look forward to continuing to work together."
- End the letter with “Sincerely yours,” “Respectfully yours,” “yours truly,” or “best wishes.”
I would like to thank you for your encouragement and support over the years. You are an exceptional boss who always has his employees' best interests in mind, and your leadership qualities and support have earned you much deserved respect.
Thank you for being the friendly and open-minded boss that you are. Your support has brightened my professional career, and your generosity will remain in my heart forever. I appreciate you so much for helping me become a better professional.
Thanks again for everything.
Share your thoughts or your own messages in the comments below!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2016 Oyewole Folarin