5 Requirements for Teaching English in South Korea

Updated on May 8, 2020
Jake Jebrone profile image

Jake is an ESL instructor in Seoul, Korea. They have been teaching for about two years.

Learn whether or not you're eligible to teach English in South Korea by answering these five questions.
Learn whether or not you're eligible to teach English in South Korea by answering these five questions. | Source

Are You Considering Teaching English in Korea?

You may be considering the opportunity of teaching abroad. Many people consider Korea because of the savings potential and the terrific standard of living. After you decide to go, you may be wondering if you're eligible. Here is a list of five questions that determine whether you are eligible.

  1. Where Are You From?
  2. Did You Graduate From a University?
  3. Do You Have a Criminal Record?
  4. Are You Healthy?
  5. Are You Drug Free?

Seoul at Night
Seoul at Night | Source

1. Where Are You From?

The first requirement is to be a native English speaker. The E2 visa, or the teaching visa, will require a passport from one of the following countries:

  • United States
  • Canada
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • South Africa
  • United Kingdom
  • Ireland

If you're a citizen of any of these countries, you meet the first requirement.

2. Did You Graduate From a University?

The E2 visa also requires that you graduate from a four-year university. The visa process will require you to submit a copy of your diploma. In some countries like Canada, you'll be required to submit your university transcripts. However, your major doesn't matter. Although a teaching or linguistics major may help in some cases, it isn't required.

If you have a four-year diploma, you meet the second requirement.

3. Do You Have a Criminal Record?

A big part of the visa process will be submitting a criminal background check. In the United States, this will be performed by the FBI. You will have to show the Korean Government that you have no criminal record in your home country. Anything on your record will exclude you from being able to teach. This includes DUI, possession charges, or assault charges.

If you don't have a criminal record, you meet the third requirement.

4. Are You Healthy?

Within 90 days of arrival, you will be required to take a health test. Most schools will do this within the first 1–2 weeks to get you registered more quickly. The test includes an AIDS/HIV blood test. You will not be able to stay under the visa nor teach if this returns positive.

If you are AIDS/HIV free, you meet the fourth requirement.

5. Are You Drug Free?

The health test mentioned above will also include a drug test. There is some speculation on whether the test includes marijuana. It seems to be case by case, depending on the hospital. However, they do check for other, more addictive drugs. If you have any doubts, it may be a good idea to be tested before you leave and see if you pass.

If you can pass a drug test, you meet the fifth requirement.

That's It!

If you meet these five requirements, you are on your way to teach in Korea. You can start the visa and job search process now. If not, unfortunately, there is no wiggle room, especially with the criminal background.

This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment
    • profile image

      Sharon Priscilla 

      2 years ago

      Is teaching in South Korea possible if I'm a non-native English speaker ?

    • profile image


      3 years ago

      Thanks for the tips for teaching in Korea.


    This website uses cookies

    As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, toughnickel.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

    For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://maven.io/company/pages/privacy

    Show Details
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)