Best Places to Work in Irvine, California According to Employee Surveys
Surveys Submitted by Employees and Supervisors
Irvine is a master-planned city of over 50 township villages in Orange County, in the Greater Los Angeles labor market.
Major internet job search engines and analysts at Forbes.com, Glassdoor, and Indeed regularly collect company reviews submitted by people that are working or who have worked at a variety of American companies, including in Irvine, California.
According to these surveys, best places to work include manufacturers, hospitals, private/government partnership firms, restaurants, and biopharmaceutical companies. While some of these companies and their employees lost revenues and wages during the Great Lockdown of 2020, the re-opening of Sothern California businesses in late spring and summer 2020 allowed companies and workers recover.
Many California companies and workers benefitted from the U.S. Federal Pandemic stimulus funds distributed in 2020, preserving many jobs and companies.
Top 10 Best Companies for Workers in Irvine
Average Survey Rating Out of 5.0
Northrup Grumman/NASA Commercial Crew
University of Sothern California
SpaceX/NASA Commercial Crew
In N Out Burger
Elo Pollo Loco
1. Kaiser Permanente
Kaiser Permanente is a major healthcare company specializing in hospitals and medical centers. Serving many novel coronavirus patients in the first half of 2020, the company opened up increasing numbers of related jobs each month.
Worker reviews cite good benefits, including equitable pay, continuing education, and chances for advancement. Headquartered in California, company revenues are approximately $80,000,000 annually.
The Irvine HQ is located at
6640 Alton Pkwy, Irvine, CA 92618
2. Northrop Grumman/NASA Commercial Crew
With its contributions to the advancement of American missions to the Moon and Mars from 2020 through 2025, Northrop Grumman is a good place to work.
Many positive employee reviews of this company laud the team atmosphere, good pay, and good benefits, plus the excitement growing in the aerospace and defense industries. Communications are reportedly clear between leadership and workers, and individuals attest to being sure of their career paths at this company. Government contracts for billions of dollars promise an increase of new jobs through at least 2025.
The company's Irvine location is1100 Via Callejon, San Clemente
Amgen is a global leader in biotechnology companies, established in 1980, that develops and refines treatments for a variety of illnesses and conditions. Since 1994, the leadership has acquire several other biopharma companies while presently, the company continues to expand. Annual revenues for 2019 topped $23,000,000,000.
Many employees had pointed to above average pay and benefits as reasons to enjoy working at the company, which also sponsors the annual Amgen California Tour that is part of the World Bicycle Tour Circuit. Since the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic, larger numbers of employees are able to work form home, which many say they find to their liking.
Amgen's Irvine location is
11932 Marble Arch Drive, Santa Ana, CA 92705
This is a well known global accounting firm that employs many satisfied workers who mention advancement opportunities, daily support from supervisors, and good recognition of individual and team efforts.
Some Deloitte workers speak of rotating from project to project via placement through a company Talent Manager, and many find this satisfying as well. Remote working from home is growing in popularity within the company and offers scheduling flexibility. In addition, workers report that Maternity and Paternity Leave of 16 weeks is offered. Company revenues reached over $46 Billion in 2019.
Deloitte's Irvine location is at
695 Town Center Drive Ste 1000, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
5. Panasonic Avionics
Panasonic is a major manufacturer of electronic and electric products and components in the USA and internationally, including a major hub in Irvine, California.
This company serves consumer, business, and industrial customers worldwide and has experienced increasing jobs ever since 2011, after the Great Recession. Company revenue was almost $80 Billion in 2019 and rising.
Employee Positive Comments
- Good working conditions and overtime pay are always available.
- Three shifts of work are available.
- Cafeteria and refrigerators are great.
- One Sales Manager says this was his dream job and best employer ever.
Panasonic Avionics is located at:26200 Enterprise Way, Lake Forest, CA 92630
Panasonic, Where Jobs Are Increasing
The University of California at Los Angeles is home to a large number of staff who like working there at all levels of responsibility.
Opinions of Some Managers
- Workplace culture was supportive and enthusiastic because of great managers that were great mentors to me.
- UCLA is a stable environment with excellent health benefits.
- Excellent program and university. I co-taught a class here and the campus help was exceptional.
- They value diversity a lot! Having a positive attitude is key to this job.
- Best place to work as an RN. Units were always adequately staffed.
Opinions of Some Student Workers and Interns
- They gave me the opportunity to show my leadership and problem solving skills.
- Management was fair, open to new ideas, and the work environment was fun.
- It has been a place where I have seen both the employee and the patient embrace diversity, compassion and a sense of community.
7. University of Southern California
Employees of USC often site an exceptional work–life balance, good pay and benefits, opportunities for advancement, and the school's non-profit status as a research university as the major pluses to working here. Many researchers enjoy working independently here with input from supervisors when needed. Some workers mentioned that they can earn a degree onsite during business hours, but that remote working from home is sometimes possible as well.
A faculty member commenting on Indeed.com said, "The dean and senior administrators are supportive, open to comments, suggestions, and change from both faculty and students. "
Another employee mentions he likes the productivity, fun, free snacks and drinks, and the ping pong table.
8. SpaceX/NASA Commercial Crew
Over the decade of 2010-2020, leader Elon Musk's company successfully produced rockets and space capsules that produced the first commercial launch of American astronauts to the International Space Station in June 2020.
With the excitement opportunity of space projects at the ISS, launching satellites into space, and colonizing the Moon, the upcoming Far Side Moon Base, and Mars, most employees of SpaceX love their jobs despite long work hours as projects develop. Revenues included $24.6 Billion in 2019.
The company's 8,000 square foot Irvine base is located at
SpaceX: Rocket Road, Hawthorne, California, 90250
9. In-N-Out Burger
In-N-Out Burger sounds like it may be a fun California place to work!
As a restaurant manager for several years, I always found the work fun and fast.
The company's Double-Double is a little bigger than a Big Mac®, contains similar ingredients and was introduced in 1965, compared to the other sandwich's 1967 debut in Pennsylvania.
The chain's home page lists 200 individual units in California alone, with another 78 in neighboring states. One in Irvine is located at the address below, with another dozen units within a 10-mile radius of Irvine:
IN-N-OUT BURGER HQ 4115 Campus Drive; Irvine CA 92612;
California is the home to the concepts that began many fast food restaurants, but the first IN-N-OUT opened in 1948, with the first speaker system in its first store the same year. It was a drive-thru only store, with dining rooms not appearing until 1979.
Harry and Esther Snyder opened this restaurant about a block from their home in a building about the size of a bedroom. An awning in front of the place sheltered cars from sun and rain as drivers stopped to pick up their food orders. All the ingredients were fresh from the market daily.
- The company is great and has its Child Abuse Foundation to combat that problem in 48 countries and 5 US States.
- Starting Pay is above minimum wage and lunches at work are free.
- Crew members can be trained to become managers. Management encourages crew people to excel.
- Benefits are good, also with discounts to 24 Hour Fitness and many programs for self improvement.
10. El Pollo Loco
"The Crazy Chicken": With a name like this, it must be a restaurant and a fun place to work. In fact, the chain had over 400 sit down/Drive Thru restaurants the company's revenues were $105.16 Million for the first quarter of 2020.
- Fun place to work with, good food.
- Good, flexible work hours.
- Free lunches - this is important because so many chains charge at least half price to employees.
- It helps to know some Spanish when you work here.
- Management is helpful, although one employee felt that managers gained weight form eating the food.
- New menu items are always appearing.
- Insurance: " The new insurance not only put my wife in a very nice hospital, they were able to reimburse us for all of the money we had spent for pre-natal care!"
Some of the Benefits
- Full-time crew with 6+ months service: Paid Vacation and 401(k) with company match.
- Full-time crew with 18+ months seniority: Medical/dental/vision Insurance, Basic Life Insurance and other life insurance options.
On the Menu
- Citrus-marinated, flame grilled chicken dishes, Family and Individual Meals
- Fresh Salsa Bar
- An interesting Value Menu
- Chicken Bowls and loaded salads
- Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Burritos and Tacos
- Side dishes and tortillas
- Kid's Meals
El Pollo Loco home base is at 3535 Harbor Blvd., Suite 100, Costa Mesa, CA 92626
Websites: http://www.elpolloloco.com/default.aspx Available in Spanish and English. Full menu is provided online in a PDF file.
Employment Increases Estimated to 2024
- Solar Panel Installers
- Flight and Other Transportation Attendants
- Home Health Aides
- Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Medial Assistants
- Water Vessel Professions at all levels
Mathematical Science, Statistics, and Actuary Jobs
- MRI Technicians
- Construction: Terrazzo Workers/Finishers, Tile and Marble Setters, and Floor and Carpet Layers
- App Software Developers
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2012 Patty Inglish MS