High-Demand, High-Paying Jobs in Australia
Economy and Jobs
Even though major bush fires seared Australia in late 2019 and early 2020, the government projected increasing jobs through 2024 in a strong economy in February 2020. Department of Education, Skills and Employment projections show indicate an increase in employment by 1,075,000, or 8.3% from May 2020 to May 2024.
Economic Stimulus: The federal government announced that compensation would be paid to volunteer firefighters, military personnel would be deployed to assist, and an A$2 billion bush fire recovery fund would be established. New South Wales, which has been hardest hit by the crisis, has pledged A$1 billion focused on repairing infrastructure.— Michael Heath, January 2020 in "Bloomberg Green"
Significant Job Gains 2010-2020
The largest Australia gain in jobs in 13 years since February 2000 occurred in February 2013.
Job Gains in February 2013:
- The number of full-time jobs increased overall by 17,800; part-time jobs by 53,700.
- New South Wales is Australia's most populated state and increased jobs by 22,000. By October 2014, over 105,600 openings were advertised online.
Another View: Australia adds equivalent of 1 million U.S. jobs
Job Gains by August 2015:
- Australia showed over 105,000 open full-time job postings on SEEK.com.au. Healthcare and sales jobs were in highest demand.
- As for part-time job openings, the country listed over 30,000 openings.
- Total job listings for New South Wales numbered over 55,300 openings.
Job Gains by June 2020:
- Australia showed over 55,000 full-time and 7,000 part-time job postings on SEEK.com.au, while Jobted.com listed over 225,000 total openings. Healthcare and government related jobs were thee most highly in demand.
- Total job listings for New South Wales numbered nearly 73,000 openings on Jobted.com.
Five Year Employment Projections 2020-2024
Industry sectors expected to increase in the most new jobs include:
- Health Care and Social Assistance
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services
- Education and Training
Jobs in STEM fields are predicted to increase at least twice as much as other jobs in the above list.
Occupation Ceiling: The restriction on the amount of Expression of Interest (EOI) or invites that will be issued by the Australian Government for a particular occupation group.— PSS International Removials (Relocations), June 2020
Employment Outlook for Migrants, 2020-2024
The following jobs are expected by the Australian labor department to provide the largest numbers of new positions for migrants:
- Registered Nurses: Travel Nursing is a lucrative way to move to Australia for work.
- Software and Applications Programmers
- Carpenters and Joiners
- Secondary School Teachers
- Metal Fitters and Machinists
- Motor Mechanics
- Livestock Farmers
- Management Consultants
Highest Demand Jobs That Can Result in Permanent Resident Status
Australia experienced a shortage of horticultural/agricultural workers during 4th Quarter 2019 and relaxed immigrant age, English language, and salary threshold rules for overseas workers. The related high-demand occupations include:
- Truck drivers
- Forklift driver
- Machinery supervisor
- Fitter and welder
- Mechanical engineer
- Agriculture technician
Location of the Most Jobs
Most employment opportunities are in the eastern regions:
- New South Wales: Over 72,000 job listings in June 2020, double the number found 4th Quarter 2017. A majority of jobs are advertised in the Sydney area.
- Queensland, all cities.
- Melbourne, Victoria
- Western Australia
- Canberra Australian Capital Territory
- Adelaide South Australia
Companies Hiring the Most Workers
During June 2020, Australian companies consistently listed 225,000 job openings. The companies with the most advertised openings were:
- Government of Western Australia
- Queensland Government
- SA Health
- NSW Government
- Woolworths Supermarkets
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- ACT Government
- Queensland Helth
- Federal Department of Defense
The real gross value added of the mining industry accounted for about 6.4 percent of the total gross value added in Australia, making it one of the largest economic industries in the country.— Australian Statista.com, June 8, 2020
Additional Fast-Growing Jobs: Australia Mining Futures
The mining industry has been strong in Australia for a number of years and as of June 2020, over 130,000 people work in mining occupations.
Australian Mining is a top relevant news publication about advances, current events, and futures in the mining industry around Australia. It provides the latest technical information available in the industry, including advances in equipment, mining techniques; old, new, and currently most effective mining methods; and a number of services to the mining industry.
Minerals and ores of most interest include coal, gold, iron, lithium, nickel, and magnetite, among others.
Australian Space Program Resurgence
Aerospace activities in Australia are under a resurgence of interest as the Australian Space Research Institute increases its energies. An all-volunteer organization, it relies on efforts provided by Australian Universities like Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology and others.
Rocket launches are scheduled regularly at Woomera Australian Defense Force Facility, while additional projects are on hold and waiting funding and personnel in future.
The town of Woomera is owned by the Australian Defense Force. It offers visits to one of the most recognized aerospace historical sites of the 1960s - 1990s, to the Woomera National Aerospace and Missile Park at town center, a visitors information center, a heritage interpretation center, and a museum. There is also film theater, bowling alley, swimming pool, retail shops, taverns, and others. Additional visits take tourists into the desert for the wildlife and plants. Woomera Marine Centre is also interesting.
Visiting and Working in Australia to 2024
The website Embrace Australia stated in 2010 that higher numbers of British residents immigrate to Australia than any other nation.
By 2020, the federal government indicated in their national skills shortage assessment extending to 2024, that people from India were migrating is the most numbers to fill shortages in horticulture and agriculture from 4th Quarter 2019 to first Quarter 2020.
Australian Advantages for Living and Working
- Besides a strong economy, the climate in Australia is more pleasant overall for the British tired of wet weather and Americans tired of the cold in the north.
- Education for children in Australia is advertised as top notch. Reports are that 80% of youth attend higher education facilities as well.
- An NHS system is named Medicare in Australia and offered to permanent residents. However, private healthcare remains available via arrangements at work.
- Much of the culture is located within a short distances of Australian coastlines and beaches, involving outdoor activities much of each year.
- Sightseeing can be done in any number of landscapes, from rain forests to deserts.
- Aboriginal Peoples still call the continent and country home in many areas and offer tours and handcrafted items.
Best Australian Job Search
- Jobted - Discover 400,000+ Best Jobs and Job Vacancies in Australia
Find your new job today! Search 400,000+ job vacancies from all job boards, companies, recruitment agencies & career sites in Australia. Start now!
- SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site
SEEK is Australia's number one jobs site. Search or browse jobs across Australia. Find work or recruit the ideal candidate. SEEK and you shall find.
- Jobs in Australia | Immigration to Australia | Working In Australia
Looking for Jobs in Australia or Immigration to Australia information. Get visa, immigration and career information to help you work in Australia.
- Australia Government: Occupational Skills Shortages.
- Glover, A. Hardest Jobs in Australia to Fill Revealed. Daily Mail UK. December 12, 2017.
- Indeed.com Australia: job listings and recommendations, June 2020.
- Kennedy, M. Australia Says It Is Launching Its Own Space Agency. NPR The-Two-Way. September 26, 2017.
- Jobted.com: job listings and recommendations, June 2020.
- Pash, C. The 20 Hardest Jobs to Fill in Australia. Business Insider Australia. December 12, 2017.
- P.S.S. International Removals. Australia’s Most Wanted: The Most In Demand Jobs for Skilled Migration To Australia 2019-2020.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS