In-Demand Jobs in Australia for Filipinos

Updated on May 5, 2017

Are you planning to work abroad to give your family a better future?

Australia is one of the top destinations of educated and skilled Filipinos. A 2011 record show that there was a 42.1 percent increase in the number of Filipinos living and working in the land down under. We are now the 5th largest Asian migrant community living peacefully and working successfully in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and Western Australia.

There are different pathways to Australia and one of the best ways to migrate is by being on the country’s Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

What is SOL

Australia’s SOL shows the jobs that they offer to foreign skilled workers. Australia is experiencing a skills shortage, so they encourage foreign workers with the right education, training and skills to come work and live in Australia. These jobs vary from cabinet making to medical doctors. Although it the list is frequently updated by the government, most of the jobs on the list have been there for several years already as the government struggles to fill the shortage.

If you are under 50 years old with the required qualification and training, you might just be someone they need.

Check the list of the 10 occupations that Filipinos may be able to fill (as of 2016).

1. Accountant


Accountants are professionals who are in charge of planning and providing accounting systems and services relating to taxation and financial dealings of individuals or companies. They can also provide for other related record-keeping and compliance requirements.

If you want to work as an accountant, have your skills and qualifications checked by one of the three assessing authorities in Australia: Certified Practicing Accountant of Australia (CPAA), Chartered Accountant Australia and New Zealand (CA) or Institute of Public Accountants (IPA). As an accountant, you are expected to be at least a bachelor’s degree holder with some relevant experience. Five years' experience in the field may substitute for a diploma.

2. Carpenter

Good at building and repairing houses and other structures? If you have the experience and the skill then you may be eligible to apply as a carpenter. This job is one of the many construction jobs available throughout Australia.

Together with bricklayers and joiners, carpenters are responsible for constructing, erecting, installing, renovating and repairing buildings and other structures made of different materials including wood, brick and stone.

To apply for a visa to Australia as a carpenter first contact Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) to have your skills assessed. For this job, you only need level 3 certificate course (Australia Qualification Framework (AQF) level 3) plus at least two years on-the-job training. If you have 3 years of work experience, this may be enough to give you a positive assessment.

Pinoys in Australia

3. Chef

Culinary graduate? Australia needs you too.

If you have the training and experience in planning and organizing the preparation and cooking of food in restaurants and catering events (except for fast food chains and take away establishments) then consider moving to a country that plays host to amazing restaurants.

TRA is also the assessing authority for Chefs and other hospitality-related jobs. The minimum qualification is AQF Associate Degree, an advanced diploma or a diploma plus some on-the-job training or relevant experience. Three years of relevant experience may also substitute for the formal qualifications.

4. Electrician

If you are trained to install, test, connect, maintain and modify wirings and electrical equipment then consider having yourself registered and licensed to work in any of the Australian states and territories.

Electricians need at least a certificate III plus 2 years on-the-job training, or a certificate IV. If you have at least three years working experience, this may substitute for the training qualification. Contact TRA to start your career in Australia.

4. Engineer


Are you an engineering professional with enough experience under your belt? Australia wants you too.

All types of engineers—chemical, material, civil, electrical, electronic, industrial, mechanical, production, mining and others—can have their skills checked by Engineers Australia (EA) before registering and applying for license to work in Australia.

Be sure to have at least a bachelor’s degree holder or higher. In some cases additional related work experience and/or OJT experience may be required. A college diploma may not be needed for those with five years working experience in similar capacity.

6. IT and Computer-Related Professional

Computer and IT professionals can also find success in Australia.

Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher in computer and IT related courses or a five year experience and/or relevant vendor certificate? Aussie employees are looking for Business and systems analysts, Programmers, Database and Systems Administrators, ICT Security Specialists, ICT Network and Support professionals. If your job title falls in any of these, contact the Australian Computer Society (ACS) and have yourself assessed.

7. Mechanic

Those who have knowledge and skill in maintaining, testing and repairing engines and mechanical parts of motor vehicles like cars, boats and airplanes may also have a bright future in the land down under.

A certificate IV or III plus two years of practicum are qualified to work as mechanics. Contact TRA for skills assessment and further instructions on registration and licensing.

Three years of relevant experience may also substitute for a diploma.

8. Medical Practitioner


General medical practitioners, anesthetists, special physicians, psychiatrists, surgeons and other medical practitioners are also in demand in Australia.

As a medical practitioner you are expected to have at least a bachelor’s degree with 1-2 years hospital-based training. Some specializations that require at least 5 years of experience plus specialized study.

Please visit the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) for more detailed inquiries.

9. Nurse

Like most parts of the world, Australia is in need of health care workers especially nurses. If your tasks include caring for patients in hospitals, nursing homes, and medical centers then visit the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) to find out more details about moving to Australia.

Nurses and other related occupations are expected to at least have a college degree or higher qualification. In addition, relevant experience and on-the-job training may be required as well.

10. Teacher

Teachers may also find their dream job in Australia, especially preschool teachers, secondary teachers and special needs teachers.

Education professionals are expected to have a college degree or higher or have at least 5 years of relevant experience. Teachers may also need to submit documents showing relevant teaching experience and on-the-job training. If you have all this, have your qualifications evaluated by the Australian Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL).

Ten Jobs for Filipinos in Australia (SOL as of July 2016)

Below is a summary of the ten occupations and the requirements for each.

Educational Level
Work Experience
Assessing authority
Accountant (General)
Bachelor or higher OR 5 years relevant experience may substitute for formal qualification
Relevant experience and/or OJT
Certified Practicing Accountant of Australia (CPAA) Chartered Accountant Australia and New Zealand (CA) Institute of Public Accountants (IPA)
Non-diploma degrees - AQF certificate 3 or AQF level 4 OR 3 years relevant experience may substitute for certificate
2 years OJT
Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
Associate degree/ Advanced diploma/ diploma Or 3 years relevant experience may substitute for diploma
OJT or some experience
Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
Certificate III or Certificate IV OR 3 years relevant experience
2 years OJT Relevant experience and OJT
Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
Bachelor or higher 5 years experience may substitute for diploma
OJT and/or relevant experience
Engineers Australia (EA)
Certificate III or Certificate IV OR 3 years relevant experience
2 years OJT Relevant experience and OJT
Trades Recognition Australia (TRA)
Medical Practitioners
Bachelor or higher Specialists: additional training in specialization
1-2 years hospital-based training 5 years specialization
Medical Board of Australia (MBA)
Bachelor degree or higher
OJT and/or relevant work experience
Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC)
Bachelor or higher
Relevant experience and OJT
Australia Institute of Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL)
***TRA may not require a English language Test for assessment, but a test is needed for immigration purposes.

Which country would you like to migrate to?

See results

For a complete and regularly-updated list, check the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (as of 1 July 2016).

Is your occupation on the list?

If yes, then check if you meet the necessary points to qualify for immigration.

Immigration to Australia is points-based, meaning that you have to at least have 60 points to apply for a visa. Do not worry, you get points from your own circumstances like your age (25 pts max), qualification (20 pts max), years of experience (15 pts max), and English proficiency.

You can get documents from the government, your college and your employer for proof, and take a language test to prove your English language proficiency.

English Language Proficiency Test

IELTS test taking
IELTS test taking | Source

Several ways to test your English are accepted by Australian iimmigration, namely:

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Occupational English Test (OET)

Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-based Test (TOEFL-IBT)

Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic

You only need to take one of the four tests. Check with your assessing authority and find out which tests they accept and what scores they need (usually higher than what is needed for immigration).

Any of these tests may cost some money, so make sure you are prepared to take the test and get a high score to satisfy 20 maximum points for immigration and for assessment purposes.

Remember, there are other occupation in the checklist and it is updated every now and then. Check out the SOL and find out if you are on the list too.

If you find your occupation, produce all necessary documents, and reach 60 or more points, grab your chance to work and live in Australia with your family.

This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.

Questions & Answers


      0 of 8192 characters used
      Post Comment

      No comments yet.


      This website uses cookies

      As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

      For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at:

      Show Details
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the or domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)