Ms. Inglish is a successful Employment & Training pro, setting Midwest regional records with tens of thousands placed in gainful employment.
Rising State Economy and New Jobs
Utah has enjoyed a strong economy, resulting in the personal income of state residents growing at a faster rate than anywhere else in the USA during the first half of 2007 through 2016.
From 2008 through January 2017 under the Obama Administration, individual and family incomes also rose markedly.
Changes From the Obama and Trump Administrations
Utah developed 54,500 new jobs in 2006, or a full 5 percent of all jobs created in America. By November 2015, 40,000+ job listings appeared on average daily, but by November 2018, that total increased to over 44,000 listed positions. From January 2019 through March 2020, the average daily job listings under the Trump Administration remained at approximately 36,000 vacancies, largely in service industries.
The state's highest demand jobs 2006 - 2018 include:
- Medical and Healthcare Industry jobs
- Information Technology (IT) work
- The Mormon Church LDS job listings
- US National Guard positions
- Aircraft and Aerospace Technologies jobs, many in engineering and engineering/aerospace technologies. Utah and surrounding states (Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico) provide open spaces for testing rockets, missiles, and aerospace vehicles.
Forbes Magazine recognized Utah as "The Best State for Business and Careers" annually from 2012 through 2017.
Highest demand jobs 2019 - 2020 include:
- Care.com: Health aids and nannies.
- University of Utah and its medical center
- McDonald's, Wendy's, Domino's: Crew and delivery positions
- United States Army
- The Home Depot
- Jiffy Lube
Aircraft Manufacturing Increases
Airplanes, unmanned drones, and various types of spacecraft development test vehicles are in high demand in America because of the new space race against Russia during 2010 - 2050. By 2035, U.S. private business leaders intend to be operating on Mars and NASA, and many space-faring countries do not want to be left behind. This competition increases American business.
From 2018 - 2024, more manufacturing assemblers are needed in Utah for aircraft structure, surfaces, rigging, and systems. This need will only increase as U.S. space travel, public and private, increase.
During December 2018, 15 aerospace companies in Utah advertised important job openings, the largest three companies being north of Salt Lake City.
Growing Aerospace Companies in Utah
Aviation and Aerospace: The Boeing Starliner for NASA is set to fly to the new Lunar Gateway Space Station in 2022. It will be commanded by Ms. Sunita Williams.
Manufacture of Rocketry: Merged with Northrop Grumman
Aerospace and Defense: Part of the NASA Commercial Crew
Aerospace and Defense
Aerospace: Composite materials and structures, enginnering honeycomb, adhesives, etc.
Other Successful Companies In Utah
Salt Lake City International Airport is experiencing a consistent upswing in the number of passengers - many of them business passengers - traveling through the terminal; so much so that the facility is expanding and replacing old runways and concourses. Fifteen (15) different airlines fly out of Salt Lake City International. Passengers increased from 11 million to 16 million from 1988 to 1993, with 23,157,445 total passengers during 2016 and 12,000,000 during the first half of 2017. This increase calls for more workers at all levels to be hired.
New warehouses, malls, and other commercial developments are developing new jobs for all experience levels. New roads are under contraction and will offer high-paying jobs for some years to come. The housing market is stable and growing, resulting in additional construction related job openings.
Raytheon Co. is the leader in missile manufacturing and will offer hundreds of new jobs by AD 2024. The company purchased Oakley Networks to expand sales of computer-security systems to the U.S. Federal Government. The company is a member active in the NASA Commercial Crew.
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is constructing a $11,400,000 BioCenter in Logan to manufacture containers for the businesses of life science research, biotechnology, and pharmaceuticals. Multi-million dollar urban renewal projects, including green industries, are also offering high-paying jobs at this company. In addition, the state has several large irrigation and water reclamation projects that require skilled workers.
Utah is also a state that welcome new and expanding businesses.
Green Industries Around Utah
- Central Utah Gardens
Water conservation, virtual garden, classes and events.
- Red Butte Garden
University of Utah: Gardens, floral shows, workshops, gardening camps, monthly gardening tips online.
- Thanksgiving Point: 3003 North Thanksgiving Way, Lehi, UT 84043
Museum of Natural Curiosity! Also, Butterfly Habitat, Farm, Gardens, Childrens Discovery Garden (includes Noah's Ark), and Museum of Ancient Life, Emporium, restaurants alll family-friendly. I love meeting the Master Gardeners, painters, technology educators and other staff.
- Utah State University Botanical Center: 920 S 50 W, Kaysville UT 84037
A teaching garden for urban space planning, wetlands, wildlife, water reclamation, hiking and other offerings.
- Utah Energy Rated Homes
Sustainable energy and energy efficient homes. News, events, teaching and learning, announcements, sustainablity programs.
Jobs Growing by the Largest Percentage
A surprise to the federal and state employment forecasters, Utah and America overall saw an upswing of demand for truck drivers beginning in 2014. This uptick continued through the end of 2018.
Additional jobs that forecasters believe will increase include:
- Geographers: The Moon and Mars will need many people to study their surfaces.
- Aircraft Structure, Surfaces, Rigging, and Systems Assemblers
- Laborers (Helpers) for Electricians
- Helpers for Brickmasons, Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Stoneworkers: Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Biomedical Engineers
- Painters of Transportation Equipment
- Health Specialties Teachers at the college level
- Orthotists and Prosthetists
- Interpreters and Translators
- Credit Counselors
- Skincare Specialists, including medical skincare
- Nursing Instructors and Teachers at the college level
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists
- Insulation Workers: Mechanical, floor, ceiling, and wall insulations
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Information Security Analysts
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners
- Physician Assistants that includes many Nurse Practitioners
Native American Businesses
Native Business Locations
- Confederated Tribes of the Goshute Reservation: Post Office Box 6104; Ibapah UT 84034. Phone (801) 234-1136
- Northern Ute: Uintah & Ouray; Post Office Box 190; Fort Duchesne UT 84026. (435) 722-5141
- Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah Tribal Council: 600 North 100 East Paiute Drive; Cedar City UT 84720. (801) 586-1112
- Skull Valley: P.O. Box 150; Grantsville UT 84029. (801) 931-6126
Popular Attractions Create Jobs in Utah
Dinosaur National Monument Park
This popular natural attraction provides 10,000 years of dinosaur history in the local fossil record. This, along with additional parks in the state offered over 500 jobs in mid-August 2017. Positions include healthcare staff as well as recreational and instructional staff, program managers, and dining/accommodations professionals. One popular job is the ski school and snow board instructor.
The cliff face of the Dinosaur Quarry in this park features over 1,500 dinosaur bone fossils embedded in it in the side of a mountain. A virtual tour is available online.
The Fremont Indian Tribes lived in Dinosaur National Monument Park since as along ago as 800 to 1,200 in the past, followed by the Ute and Shoshone Nations, whose descendants still live there today.
Address: 4545 U.S. 40, Dinosaur CO 81610 (extends to Utah)
The newest national park identified in 2016 was Bears Ears National Monument, where many Native Americans live. It is a popular place to visit, although steeped in controversy ever since the Trump Administration (2017 - 2021) decided to revoke its national park recognition and extract its resources for profits.
- Address: Southeastern Utah (no visitors center).
- Mailing Address: firstname.lastname@example.org and
Bears Ears National Monument, 365 North Main, Monticello UT 84535
Additional Popular Natural and Historic Attractions
- Flaming Gorge Reservoir and Ashley National Forest: 355 N Vernal Ave, Vernal, UT 84078
- Fort Duchesne in Fort Duchesne, Utah
- Uintah and Ouray Reservation, Fort Duchesne: The Ute and Shoshonoe peoples still live here today.
- Fremont Indian State Park and Museum: 3820 Clear Creek Canyon Rd, Sevier UT 84766, USA
- Zion National Park: 1 Zion Park Blvd., State Route 9, Springdale UT 84767
Aerospace and Higher Education in Utah
Before college or vocational school, high school students in this state can participate in the Utah Aerospace Pathways Program. In that curriculum, students receive early training in aerospace manufacturing,
From 2010 through 2020, several applied technology schools have gained interest and increased students. These include:
- Ameritech College of Healthcare in Draper, Utah.
- Art Institute of Salt Lake City in Draper.
- Brigham Young University: Provo, Utah. This famous institution is also the largest employer in the State of Utah, hiring faculty, administrative, research, and clerical staff. The Cedartree Memorial Pow Wow is an annual event held at the end of March on this university campus, admission free to its students.
- Bridgerland Applied Technology College in Logan: Several aerospace programs.
- Broadview Entertainment Arts University - BEAU in Salt Lake City.
- Broadview University in West Jordan.
- College of Eastern Utah: Price
- Davis Applied Technology School in Kaysville.
- Dixie Tech: St. George. This school specializes in healthcare and computer information sciences.
- George Wythe College: Cedar City
- Jon M. Huntsman School in Logan.
- LDS Business College: Salt Lake City. www.ldsbc.edu/
- Midwives College of Utah in Salt Lake City.
- Mountainland Applied Technology School in Orem. Several successful aerospace degrees are available.
- Neumont University: South Jordan, Utah
- Ogden-Weber Technology School
- Rocky Mountain University in Provo.
- Salt Lake Community College: Redwood, South City, Jordan, and Miller, plus satellite campuses
- Snow College: Ephraim, Utah
- Southern Utah University: Cedar City, founded 1898. www.suu.edu/
- Tooele Tech has become an innovator is healthcare education.
- Unitah Basin Applied Technology College in Roosevelt. Healthcare, welding, and business education are priorities here.
- University of Utah: Salt Lake City. This school provides many programs, including partnerships with aerospace businesses for development of new products and technologies.
- Utah College of Applied Technology
- Utah State University: Logan. This is an important partnership school in state aerospace programs, offering a number of related degrees.
- Utah Valley State College: Orem. www.uvu.edu/
- Weber State University: Ogden. This is the third major partnership school for aerospace degrees.
- Western Governors University in Salt Lake.
- Westminster College: Salt Lake City
- Aerospace Heritage Foundation of Utah
- Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) forecasts up through AD 2024.
- EDCUTAH INDUSTRY PROFILE, FY 18-19: Aerospace.
- Hill Aerospace Museum. Accessed December 20, 2018.
- Glassdoor.com salary analysis, 2018, 2019, 2020.
- Presentation at the NASA John Glenn Center of Cleveland at Ohio History Center; November 2018.
- Presentations by Civil Air Patrol of the Active Air Force in Columbus and Fairborn, Ohio; 2015 - 2018.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS
Comments and Additions
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on December 20, 2018:
Utah has experienced increasing new jobs since at least 2012, with healthcare, data, and aerospace (my favorite) among leaders of growing industries. This is an exciting time!
Essence on September 10, 2015:
Well done research
masselinio,joseph on May 10, 2012:
wow what a nice state and a beautiful one too
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on October 24, 2007:
Wow! - The Hub Olympics! I thank the judges :)
Thanks for the comments and encouraging score. Researching this Hub, I decided I want to go to Utah, too. Beautiful!
James Denice from las vegas NV on October 24, 2007:
this is good I am going to make my next vacation to Salt Lake City UT
You did a nice job I give you a 10