Ms. Inglish is a successful Employment & Training pro, setting Midwest regional records with tens of thousands placed in gainful employment.
The State of Maryland has projected job growth and creation through 2040 and keeps records of these predictions back through 1970.
Industrial growth is predicted by the state and the US Department of Labor as follows, with my comments that show changes since the estimates were made, before 2014.
- Oil and Gas Extraction: 688.8% growth
- Mining Activities: 195% increase
- Company Management 69% increase
- Entertainment and the Arts: 33%
- Science and Technologies (STEM/STEAM): 29%. During 2015 - 2016, "ind turbine technician" became the Number One Job predicted for large growth in the US.
- Administrative and Support Services: 28.4%
- Logistics: Warehousing and Storage: 28%. Truck driving has increased across America as a top job for growth in relation to this category, especially from 2014-2017.
- Healthcare and Related: 28%. A well publicized nursing shortage is still evident from want ads in each US State. At least 34 - 40% of America's nurses will be retiring in the early 2020s.
- Educational Services: 27.5%
- Construction and Trades: 12%
Job Projections to 2025
- From 2008 to 2018, Maryland predicted positive employment change of an additional 251,745 new jobs for a 9.1% increase. The prediction was good. By 2025, the State of Maryland projects that 3,900,000 jobs will be actively worked or advertised across the state.
- By the end of 2014, over 150,000 job openings were posted in the state, especially around Washington DC.
- A jobs decrease in January 2015 was followed by a spring and summer increase. Throughout July-August 2015, truck driving was the number one job posting, with over 100,000 listings for the state.
- By the end of August 2016, approximately 90,000 jobs were advertised around the state, with over 40,000 of them in the Greater Baltimore Area.
- During December 2016 businesses in this state had added 1,400 new private sector jobs.
- Six months later at the end of February 2017, nearly 90,000 job openings were still available, with about 20,000 in the Baltimore area. Jobs decreased in the city and increased in nearby metro area (Please see the map below).
- US Department of Labor data, 2010 - 2017.
- US Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Maryland Departments of Labor, Planning, and Information Technology
- Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com statistics, 2010 - 2015.
- Ohio State University College of Business, 2015 - 2017.
The largest companies in Maryland employ a total of hundreds of thousands of workers every year. These top companies include a combination of the fastest-growing private sector industries and government agencies.
Healthcare, Groceries, Retail Sales, Information Technology (IT) and Finance are leading industry sectors, and Manufacturing is strong in a range of products.
The following companies are hiring the most employees and maintaining the largest employee pools in the state from 2015-2017, per Chamber of Commerce records and phone calls for information::
1. Giant Food Inc.: Nearly 30,000 in the employee population.
- A well established national supermarket chain set to expand stores in the late 2010s. Find jobs at giantfood.com.
2. Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
- Famous for healthcare and research breakthroughs: Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health and The Kennedy Krieger Institute. Find education and jobs at hopkinsmedicine.org; www.jhu.edu.
3. MedStar Health
- MedStar Health is a non-profit for hospital and healthcare services in Baltimore and Washington: Good Samaritan Hospital and Union Memorial Hospital. Jobs available at medstarhealth.org
4. Black & Decker Corp.
- The famous power tool company known around the US for decades of Father's Day gifts. This company is also a maker of great small appliances that last a long time, by my experience. Jobs at blackanddecker.com
5. Verizon Inc.
- Lots of my friends have Verizon wireless service and Verizon are well satisfied. In competition with other many other telecommunications suppliers, this company will continue to expand. See verizon.com.
6. Northrop Grumman Corp.: Part of the NASA Commercial Crew
- I like the Commercial Crew Companies for new jobs. Northrop Grumman is a global defense partner for the US as well. Aerospace is one of their major mission areas. Find jobs at northgrum.com.
7. Constellation Energy Group Inc.
- This is a great energy company and parent of Baltimore Gas & Electric Inc.Find their jobs at constellation.com.
8. McCormick & Co.
- Yes, this is the producer of kitchen spices since 1889. See mccormick.com
9. Wal-Mart Stores Inc.
- Wal-Mart is the nation's largest retailer and always hiring at wal-mart.com and at in-store computer stations.
10. CareFirst BlueCross/BlueShield Insurance
- Maryland's largest health insurer is a non-profit company at carefirst.com.
11. W.R. Grace & Co.
- This company manufactures silica, and construction and container products. Find them at grace.com.
12. University of Maryland Medical System
- Find patient services and wellness programs here at Kernan Hospital, The University of Maryland Specialty Hospital, and The University of Maryland Medical Center. Jobs are listed at umm.edu.
Additional Larger Employers
- Safeway Grocery Stores
- LifeBridge Health (Hospitals)
- Legg Mason Inc.: Financial Products
- Magellan Health Services: EAPs
- T. Rowe Price Group: Financial Services
- Mercantile Bankshares Corp.: Financial Services
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center Healthcare Inc.: Healthcare conglomerate at .gbmc.org.
- IBM: International Business Machines Corp.
Additional Source; The Baltimore Sun; February 23, 2017
Cities With the Most Open Jobs
Top 10 Highest-Demand Jobs
- CDL Truck Drivers: Semi-trucks, flatbed trucks, company drivers, owner-operators. Companies include George Hildebrandt, Inc., C.R. England, DTL Transport, R.E. Garrison.
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Physical and Occupational Therapists
- Aerospace Engineering Jobs
- Health-related Sales Representatives
- General Managers
- Cafeteria, Coffee Shop, Fast Food, etc.
- Mainstream K-12 Teachers
- Laborers and Freight Handlers
- Nurses' Aides and Attendants
- University Of Maryland in College Park, located inside the I-495 Washington DC Beltway.
- NASA's US Goddard Space Flight Center
- National Institutes Of Health in Bethesda
- Washington County Recreation in Hagerstown
- National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA)
- Northrop Grumman in Baltimore: Part of NASA's Commercial Crew.
- Titan Steel Corp in Baltimore
- University Of Maryland Medical System: Regional.
- Johns Hopkins University: Aerospace and Applied Physics departments in Laurel
- US Health & Human Services Department in Baltimore
- CareFirst Inc in Owings Mills
- Convergence Marketing in Millersville
- Fort Detrick: US Military in Frederick
- Hydro Aluminum North America in Linthicum Heights
- US Post Office in Capitol Heights
- Millennium Inorganic Chemicals in Cockeysville
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Med Center and Johns Hopkins School Of Medicine in Baltimore
- Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore
- Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury
- GEICO Insurance in Chevy Chase
- Laurel Regional Hospital
Successful Metros Around Maryland
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2017 Patty Inglish MS
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on May 02, 2017:
Hello Chinyere Iwuagwu!
Some of the largest employers in Maryland make it a practice to hire international persons and to readily accept international students! I believe Johns Hopkins University and Hospital both do so and would be good choices. Some employers also assist students with educational expenses.
You may need some help in finding and contacting other universities and employers that might be good choices in Maryland. Visit the American consulate nearest to your city and ask one of the representatives to sit down and discuss this with you fully. For instance, in Niger State, you would call and visit:
1075 Diplomatic Dr, Phase 2, Abuja, Nigeria. Telephone: +234 9 461 4000
If near Lagos, you would contact:
2 Walter Carrington Cres, Victoria Island, Lagos, Nigeria. Telephone: +234 1 460 3600
If you are elsewhere, look up in Google "American Consulate" and your city name.
I wish you every success. Many friends are in Nigeria and I have great respect for that country, West Africa and all of Africa.
Chinyere Iwuagwu on May 02, 2017:
This is very informative and detailed. I would love to know the approach for applying for the Educational Services. I need to inform you that I do not reside in America. I reside in Africa.