I am an ideator, a writer, a personal success coach, trainer, and professional speaker.
Writing a Résumé for the Hospitality Industry or the Food and Beverage Industry
When applying for a job in the hospitality or food and beverage industry, it is important to stand out from the other candidates. To do this, make sure that you have a clear message, or objective, that you can communicate throughout your résumé and interview. You can choose to keep your objective implicit (a guiding principle that drives your decisions on what skills you emphasize) or to make it explicit by actually writing it on your résumé.
Below, I list specific objectives for you to view. Feel free to skip to those immediately, or continue reading to find out more about what a résumé objective is, whether you need one, and how to make yours stand out.
What Is a Résumé Objective?
A résumé objective is a short, pithy statement summarizing what you hope to accomplish with your résumé. Think of it as the one point you want your potential employer to take away from reading the whole page. It should be a specific sentence detailing what position you want, and what skills you will bring to it.
Do You Really Need an Objective on Your Résumé?
Objectives were more important in the past than they are now. They are best for candidates with little experience but a strong sense of purpose for why a specific job will be an excellent fit for them and and their career path. If you already have a wealth of experience, consider writing an executive summary instead. However, while many employers say that they do not require an objective and do not generally find them helpful, a particularly well-crafted statement may still catch their attention.
All this being said, whether or not you write your objective down on your résumé, it is always important to have one prepared in your mind. For every potential job, think about your objective—what you want your employer to take away—and tailor how you showcase your skills in your résumé and interview in order to support that objective.
The Components of a Good Objective
A good objective is actually not about you—it’s about your employer. Take a second and put yourself in the prospective company’s shoes. What would the ideal employee for the position be like? You want your objective to jump out and make your employer think, “That’s exactly what I am looking for!”
Here are some tips for a well-crafted objective statement:
- Be employer-oriented. Don’t think about why you want the job. Think about why the job is looking to hire you.
- Explain why you are the best fit. Highlight the skills that the employer will be looking for. Also try to indicate how this job fits within your overall career plans—this will make it sound like you know what you are looking for and you are serious about the position.
- Be specific. You should know exactly what position you desire and exactly what skills apply. Do not say, “To work with Human Resources, utilizing my communication skills.” Try, “To work as an Operations manager, utilizing my skills in Excel and in crafting clear and concise documentation in order to strengthen existing systems and build new time-saving procedures.”
The General Formula
This formula, while you can use it exactly, is more to give you a general idea of how you can word your objective. Tweak and add to it in order to suit your needs.
“Obtain a (specific role) position at (company), where I can utilize my skills (skill 1), (skill 2), and (skill 3).”
Sample Objective Statements
Here are a few examples of objective statements. Note that, as is the case with all well-crafted objective statements, these are highly specific. These scenarios may be different from your own, and are meant to be examples to give you the gist of what goes into a quality objective statement. Customize them to fit your own specific job and qualifications.
Example Hospitality Industry Objectives
- My career objectives are twofold. It is my goal to deliver my duties as (position) to the fullest satisfaction of all members of (company), using my skills with customer service. Finally, as my long term objective, I would like to continue working for the betterment of the company, taking on new responsibilities until I can serve as part of the management.
- My goal is to become the point person for (position) within (company), utilizing and building upon my skills in sourcing, wholesale, retail, and operating by continuously contributing to the company and seeking out professional development.
- To work as (position) to be a catalyst at growth at (company) by working efficiently and effectively toward (organization goals).
Example Client Servicing Objectives
- To work as (position) to ensure customer satisfaction by achieving delivery of service quality norms through interaction with clients, prompt handling of guest requests, and complaint resolution.
- I am seeking a full-time position with (company) as (position). I am confident that I can achieve high rates of customer satisfaction by interacting with guests for quick resolutions to their problems and providing high quality services.
- To work as (position) within a growing organization that offers challenges and the opportunity to grow with the company. I wish to contribute my current skills attending to clients' needs and maintaining a professional demeanor to your company because I respect the professional environment in which goals and objectives are clearly established and the tools to reach such goals are provided.
- A highly recognized hotel management professional offering over 10 years of enhancing organizations' bottom-lines through a customer-centric approach and excellent leadership and interpersonal skills. Seeking a challenging position as (specific role) in order to help grow (company)'s reputation as it continues to expand.
- To work as (position) within (company). I am drawn to this organization because it provides opportunities for growth and recognition. My experience in taking initiatives, accepting responsibilities, making snap decisions that put the customer first, and working with a team will allow me to thrive in such an environment.
Read More From Toughnickel
Example Food and Beverage/Hospitality Industry Objectives
- I would like to work as (position) at (company) in order to broaden my experience in the food and beverage service department with a challenging assignment, which would enable me to exercise my communication, organizational, and administrative skills in an effective manner.
- I am seeking an opportunity as (position) to show my abilities for achieving absolute satisfaction from guests and contributing to the growth of the company. I have relevant experience in the hospitality industry, as well as customer-related service, from my past roles serving food and beverages and streamlining service procedure.
- To pursue a challenging and rewarding career in the hotel industry as a (position), where I can demonstrate my mastery of developing exquisite cuisine and beverages, all with an eye on costs. In addition, my ability to motivate guests to return for the culinary experience will be an asset to (company).
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Have an Excellent Example of an Objective Statement? Leave It in the Comments Below!
tony on August 08, 2019:
for fresher objective
srinivasu on July 29, 2018:
i need a objective for hospitality training
Kikon on February 08, 2018:
Perfect resume for a fresher hotel management
Bibek chowhan on February 03, 2018:
A good objectives to create a resume for food and beverage in supervisor position
ramesh pundira on December 17, 2017:
Ala on April 25, 2017:
objective for supervisor position in hospitality industry
ramratan on August 31, 2016:
i want related to kitchen objective
GERLIE on August 25, 2016:
IG-Neomark on May 27, 2016:
To Excel in the field of Hospitality Industry where I can apply and develop my skills with Fast Faced and Innovative Company
prashanth on July 02, 2015:
Such a gooD objective
rocky on April 29, 2014:
good information.....keep it up
Joenel caoile on July 14, 2013:
Reliable and responsible for attaining the company profitability volume targets through doing of good quality service, work well independently and on a team.
poge on May 07, 2013:
more objective please..
Prabhjot Bedi (author) from chandigarh on April 15, 2013:
Did not understand what help you require. rgds
Prabhjot Bedi (author) from chandigarh on April 01, 2013:
@Jacquelyn ma pleasure!
l on August 08, 2012:
Shy on June 13, 2012:
More objective please
MARIZ on June 11, 2012:
thanks for this objectives...
czaiel james judiel on May 03, 2012:
• Willing to do the job for Hotel and Restaurant Management in a well established hotel in order to enhance and develop my Hotel and Restaurant Management skills.
ayush on March 11, 2012:
new ojective agreed for 2012 and 2013 in hotel for customer
mishel ronld from New York, NY on February 10, 2012:
good objective information it will be helpful.
pankaj thakur on January 23, 2012:
i need more objectives
Lorena on January 05, 2012:
To obtain a career with a career that recognizes hard work, dedication, and creativity where I have the potential for career growth.
Sulekha on April 01, 2011:
To grow with hospitality organization.