Top 10 High-Paying Jobs In Phoenix, Arizona to 2023
Solid Economic Recovery From 2012 Through 2016
In May 2015, job listings for the Phoenix area had increased to over 66,000 openings inside a metro area of at least one thousand square miles and a population of about 1.5 million in 2015.
Predictions by government and private economic analysts showed that new jobs would continue to open in and around Phoenix after New Year's 2013 and these predictions were correct. The trend of increasing jobs advertised lasted through 2015.
Phoenix is an important part of the statistical area labelled Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, with an Unemployment rate decreasing consistently from 7.5% in July 2012 to 6.9% in September 2012, and further to 5.4% in October 2015, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
With open non-seasonal jobs increasing and the Unemployment Rate decreasing, many jobs were left unfilled in 2014. This trend makes the Greater Phoenix Area good for job seekers in the American Southwest.
The top seven industry sectors active in Phoenix that increased hiring by the greatest number of individuals 2015 - 2016 include those that indicate a growing economy (particularly numbers 1 through 6 below):
- Trade, transport, and utilities (especially sustainability)
- Professional and business services
- Education and health services
- Financial products and services
- Leisure and hospitality
- Government: Local, county, and state levels.
Economists had predicted an increase in some 23,000 new jobs for Phoenix for 2012, but revised their prediction to 47,000+ in May 2012 (Arizona Republic, May 2012). Jobs open in May 2015 numbered over 66,000.
The University of Phoenix was founded in Arizona in 1976 with eight students by John Sperling, who felt that 'working adult students are often invisible on traditional campuses and treated as second-class citizens.'
Largest Metro Area Employers
From the Arizona Top 100 Companies: listing of the state Chamber of Commerce:
- Banner Health
- WalMart - Retail, grocery
- Kroger - Grocery, retail, other
- Wells Fargo - Financial
- Albertson's - Grocery, retail. other
- McDonald's - Fast Food
- Intel - Semiconductors
- Circle K - Convenience Stores and Gasoline
- American Airlines
- Bank Of America - Financial
- J.P. Morgan Chase - Financial
- Home Depot - Hardware, DIY, garden, other
- Raytheon - World's largest in missile systems production/manufacturing; also a leader in Aerospace products and services. Part of NASA Commercial Crew, they are Veteran-friendly, hiring Wounded Warriors through Operation Phoenix.
- Honeywell - Aerospace products and services. NASA Commercial Crew.
- Dignity Health
- Apollo - Educational Services - University of Phoenix
- Basha's Supermarkets
- Freeport-McMoRan - Mining
- Pinnacle West Capital - Financial
Biomedical Advances From Phoenix Businesses
The Phoenix Biomedical Campus project combines the resources of three state universities in Downtown Phoenix.
Partners in residence at this facility include
- TGen, the International Genomics Consortium,
- Barrow Neurological Institute,
- United States National Institutes of Health (NIH),
- University of Arizona (UA),
- Arizona State University (ASU), and
- Northern Arizona University (NAU).
Given the talent and results already achieved at PBC, the Biomedical Industry's future is as prone to expansive success as is the local Aerospace Program (see below). In fact, biomedical aspects of space travel, included privatized programs, will link the two projects.
Other Biomedical Advances in Phoenix:
- ASU and Mayo Clinic signed an education, healthcare, and research agreement.
- Banner Health's Alzheimer’s Institute is leading a research project worldwide to discover ways of preventing the condition.
- Barrow Neurological Institute is the umber one training ground for neurosurgeons in the US.
- GE Healthcare learned that the FDA approved their new cardiovascular ultrasound system.
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center has become a medical school campus.
Most Highly Paid Advertised Jobs
During Fourth Quarter 2012, over 30% of job listings in Phoenix offered annual salaries of $45,000 or higher, up to over $100,000. A total of 4.0% were at the $100,000+ mark.
Jobs in highest demand also included and upward trend of high-paid jobs through December 2015, with an average of 66,000 jobs advertised on any given day.During 2016 and 2017, this number ranged between 55,000 and 66,000 jobs as well.
Most frequently listed jobs are:
- Engineers: Software, Systems, Network, Project, Electrical, Mechanical, Manufacturing, Component Design; and Test Technicians. Salaries to above $100K plus benefits, with over 50% at $60 and over.
- Truck Drivers/Owner Operators - Approximately 32% of these openings offer $40K up to $100K+, plus benefits.
- Physicians - Over 50% of these positions are offered at salaries of $150K - $300K.
- Physical and Occupational Therapists - Salaries at $60K - $120K+ predominate nearly 70% of openings.
- Sales Representatives - $30% of listings offer from $60K to over $120K, with benefits.
- Store Managers - 30% of these positions offer salaries of $40K - over $100K.
- Insurance and Finance - Half of these listings offer $50K - $110K+.
- Construction - Over 50% of these jobs offer more than $40K plus benefits, up to over $100K.
- Postsecondary Faculty - 38% of these salaries offered are above $50K and range to over $110K pus benefits.
- Tax Advisors and Auditors - 53% of advertised jobs offer salaries of $70K - $120K+.
Highest Growth Jobs Expected Through 2023
- Construction Trades and Helpers
- Biomedical Engineers
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
- Dental Hygienists
- Tapers - Construction in plastering.
- Physical Therapy Jobs
- Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers
- Electricians' Helpers
- Brickmasons and Blockmasons
- Combined Food Prep & Service Jobs -- Number One in total numbers of new jobs expected.
The Aerospace Industry
Arizona supports well over 500 different Aerospace Industry companies and some of these appear on the listing of NASA's Commercial Crew partners.
The Commercial Crew began gathering before the last US Shuttle Flight in order to begin the transition from government to privatized aerospace endeavors. The Commercial Crew and NASA personnel are in place, whether the government cuts funding to the space agency or not.
Private companies like Google, Paul Allen, and James Cameron have been in the aerospace business for some time at this writing, even beginning a space mining project in 2012. Google LunarX landers will be on the moon earlier than expected in early 2013 - in fact, 2015 had been the deadline. The Space Program is running with or without the federal government and we should look forward to the effects of drawing on additional natural resources from space to support our planet.
Phoenix Metropolitan Area Aerospace Companies
This market area supports over hundreds of relevant aerospace companies and branches. In the exciting decade of 2018 through 2028, some of the most active will continue to include:
- Accord Technology
- Aerostar Aerospace
- Air Response
- Alliant Techsystems
- Attaway Air
- Electron International II
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- General Dynamics C4 Systems
- Leading Edge Aerospace
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- New Nose Company Inc
- Orbital Sciences Corporation (OSC)
- Paragon Transportation LLC
- Phoenix Technology Works
- RU2 Systems in Mesa
- Sonic Aerospace Inc
- Space Data - Aerospace, Gas & Oil, Transportation, several others and the military StarFighter® and StarSite® that create ground communication and data hubs of 400 miles diameter.
- Spectrum Tracking
- Times Microwave Systems
Local Universities and Space
Local universities are all members of the Arizona Space Grant Consortium and work with private businesses and the government to further our country's Space Program as they help to create new jobs. Near Phoenix is a related center for Astronomical Adaptive Optics, the Department of Planetary Sciences, and the Lunar and Planetary Laboratory.
Arizona State University with a campus in Phoenix and other campuses nearby created four units that ensured success for the milestone Mars Exploration Rover Mission (MER) that sends us pictures and data every day from Mars.
Successful Privatized Space Projects
- ASU School of Earth and Space Exploration: From Earth and Environmental Studies to Astrophysics, Astronomy, Geology, Engineering and Science Education, students have a chance to master skills in cutting edge aerospace research for high-paying jobs.
- Arizona State University Newsletters. ASU Now. https://asunow.asu.edu/ Accessed 2012 - 2017.
- Mayo Clinic Center for Biomedical Discovery. www.mayo.edu/research/centers-programs/center-biomedical-discovery/news Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Phoenix, Arizona Chamber of Commerce, 2012 - 2017.
- Phoenix Biomedical. biomedicalphoenix.com/ Retrieved December 12, 2017.
- Phoenix Economic Development Department. www.phoenix.gov/econdev Retrieved December 11, 2017.
Questions & Answers
© 2012 Patty Inglish