Ms. Inglish is a successful employment & training pro, setting Midwest regional records with tens of thousands placed in gainful employment.
Growing Ecomomy and Jobs in the 2020s
Tyler is the county seat of Smith County in East Texas and home to the ever-growing Baylor Scott & White Hospital. This facility alone is responsible for a large growth in new jobs and revenues for the Greater Tyler community since 2005, and more pronouncedly since 2012. A colleague of mine secured employment at this hospital in the early 2010s as a registered nurse. In 2020, she reports increasing opportunities for advancement as well as continuing good pay and benefits.
Another thriving healthcare system is at the University of Texas at Tyler with a university health science center complementing its regional hospital system.
Large grocery chains and manufacturing plants add significantly to the local economy. The U.S. Department of Labor forecasts job growth of over 36% for Tyler from 2020 to 2030.
Infrastructure Changes Boost the Economy
City leaders began demolition of two high schools, the Robert E. Lee and John Tyler facilities, in order to build new schools and a large sports complex arena to use beginning with the 2020 - 2021 academic year. These efforts will serve the growing local population as well as business visitors and vacationers, especially to the sporting fields.
Several new gyms are appearing among the two reconstructed schools, along with a new administration building and a large performing arts center, which will attract new families as well as tourists to its events. The new sports fields with adjacent upscale landscaping will round out the infrastructure.
This new construction northwest and south of the Tyler downtown district will serve the growing community well. Parallel efforts to upgrade downtown's The Square district to attract new businesses and visitors have increased business revenues for Tyler in the first half of 2020 already.
Companies Hiring Most Workers, Summer 2020 to 2025
- Baylor Scott & White Hospital: This is the number one largest employer.
- Brookshire's Grocery Stores
- CHRISTUS Health: Trinity Mother Frances Health System
- CVS Stores: With deliver services booming and the appearance of new in-store clinics and freestanding medical centers adjacent to stores, CVS will need many new workers through 2025.
- Dollar General Stores
- Home Depot and Lowe's Stores
- Longview Regional Medical Center
- The Hospice of East Texas
- University of Texas Health in East Texas, UT Health Science Center at Tyler, and UT Tyler
- Walmart Stores
The growing economy has led to an increase in population in Tyler of nearly 10% to 107,000 since 2010, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
The local unemployment rate fell from 9.2% at the end of June 2009 during the Obama Administration to 3.6% for March 2020 under the Trump Administration. The low unemployment rate in 2020 occurred despite the novel coronavirus health and economic emergency happening nationwide and globally during the first and second quarters of 2020.
Fastest Growing Jobs From 2020 to 2025
- Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical Nurses, and Nurse Practitioners
- Sales jobs of all types, Including supervisors
- Personal and Home Health Aides
- Truck Drivers
- Physical Therapists and PT Aides
- Food Prep and Service Workers
- Oil & Gas and Mining Jobs
- Medical Secretaries
- General and Operations Managers in many fields
- Housekeepers and Janitors: These jobs include new skills in sanitation and disease fighting.
Nursing Positions Through 2100
Registered nurses appear in East Texas employment projection lists in both occupational and industry clusters for the decade 2016 through 2020, especially during the latter half.
Read More From Toughnickel
RNs have been in increasing demand since the spring of 2006, surging markedly in the 2010s as increasing numbers of RNs became nurse practitioners and even physician assistants. An aging population, population increases via new births and relations, and the onset of the COVID-19 health crisis in the first part of 2020 have all resulted in a resurgence of new job listings that will likely continue for decades, likely most markedly from 2020 to 2025.
As older nurses retire, especially the Baby Boomers and some Generation Xers, even more new job vacancies will occur, and with increasing numbers will come a higher demand for nurses at the masters and PhD levels required to instruct new nurses.
What's Different About Tyler Texas?
- It Began in Tyler, TEXAS: Adopt A Highway Litter Removal Service of America. A nationwide company that facilitates, implements and maintains Sponsor A Highway Programs. Contact us to start a program in your State or to Adopt A Highway near you.
- At leasst 20% of all commercial rose bushes in America are from Tyler, Texas and Smith County. Over 50% of the nation's rose bushes are packaged and shipped from here as well. The Tyler Municipal Rose Garden and Museum is the largest in our country.
- Compared to the rest of the country, Tyler's cost of living is 17.2% lower than the U.S. average (Sperling's Best Places, May 29, 2020).
Education and Training
- Kilgore College
- Le Tourneau University: adults.letu.edu
- Texas College: www.texascollege.edu
- The University of Texas: at Tyler. www.uttyler.edu/
- Tyler Junior College: www.tjc.edu
Spotlight on Kilgore College
Just 25 miles further east of Tyler is the City of Kilgore. It was official recognized by the State of Texas as the City of Stars, especially because of the stars mounted and lighted on 60 oil derricks throughout the city during the Christmas Holidays and Hanukkah.
Kilgore College specifically focuses on helping to match job seekers with employers in gainful, long-term jobs.
The Kilgore College Workforce Development Program in East Texas is the top provider of contract workforce services with on-site or off-site training programs at places of businesses tailored to company needs.
Program staff administer pre-employment screening and training while also creating new training programs to keep businesses competitive in a number of industries. Any size business can avail themselves of these services. Visit: www.kilgore.edu/workforce.asp.
- Betts, Mintie. KETK. Tyler ISD begins demolition of high schools to make way for parking, sports complex. May 28, 2020.
- CBS19: Who's Hiring In East Texas. May 29, 2020
- Sperling's Best Places: East Tyler. Texas.
- Texas Rose Festival. 420 Rose Park Dr, Tyler, TX 75702.
- Tyler, Texas Labor Market Profile.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2009 Patty Inglish MS
Comments & Additions
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on August 26, 2013:
@Nica - No, you may not copy any of my data or other content here at all; it is copyrighted. Thanks for asking first, though. Good luck with your writing.
Joffre Meyer from Tyler, TX on December 16, 2011:
This is great to see for me because I live in Tyler. Check my hub. I'm on the verge of being a repaired disabled person!
cordbailey on November 10, 2011:
Very thorough and well written article.