Ms. Inglish is a successful Employment & Training pro, setting Midwest regional records with tens of thousands placed in gainful employment.
Suburb of Charlotte Increases Jobs
From March 2015 to June 2020, advertised jobs for the Fort Mill market to the south of Charlotte, North Carolina, increased from around 24,000 to over 32,000 open positions, an increase of 33% despite the Great Lockdown resulting from countywide health precautions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic during the first half of 2020.
One of the most actively hiring industry clusters in Fort Mill during and after the lockdown was the trucking industry, including company and owner/operator truck drivers. Jobs in this field also increased upon reopening of manufacturing plants.
The job market of Fort Mill straddles part of both North and South Carolina, so residents can easily work in either state.
According to a release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, York County tied for 3rd place in the nation in job growth from December 2018 to December 2019.
— Steven Stone, WRHI AM; 5/21/2020
Among these companies and other manufacturing firms, ZipRecruiter listed approximately 29,000 jobs available at salaries of $44,000 to $85,000 annually during the first week of June 2020.
Healthcare occupations comprised about 5,000 openings grouped mostly in the $50,000 to $80,000 salary range, including registered nurses, nursing aides, and truck drivers for medical deliveries. About 400 physicians are also needed. Top medical facilities that are hiring include Atrium, Novant, and Humana.
Engineering offers around 5,000 jobs at companies such as Wells Fargo, Oracle, Bank of America, IBM, and LPL at salaries ranging from $75,000 to $150,000.
Top 10 Largest Local Employers
- Lash Group: Medical patient support services
- Ross Stores, Inc - Distribution centers for fashion and home products
- LPL Financial
- Wells Fargo Home Mortgage
- Piedmont Medical Center
- Schaeffler Group USA: automotive manufacturing
- Duke Energy Catawba Nuclear Station
- Comporium: Internet, cable TV, and phone service
- U.S. Foods; Restaurant consultants
- Daimler Trucks North America: Manufacturing
Companies Hiring the Most Workers
- IBM: Full-time and Internships
- Bank Of America
- Robert Half Management Resources
- Piedmont Medical Center (Tenet Healthcare)
- Harris Teeter: Grocery chain
- Lowe's: DIY and home centers.
- Bayada Nurses
- Novant Health
- Food Lion LLC: Grocery chain
Fastest Growing Jobs to 2026, With Median Hourly Wage in 2019
Jobs Requiring a High School Diploma or GED
- Home Health Aides $9.79
- Conveyor Operators $14.89
- Self-Enrichment Education Teachers $20.31
- Electrician's Helpers $13.94
- Computer Controlled Machine Tool Operators $18.45
Jobs Requiring Higher Education
- Management Analysts $36.32
- Computer Systems Analysts $37.08
- Software App Developers $41.39
- Social Workers in Medical Settings $25.84
- Clinical, Counseling and School Psychologists $29.96
Green Spaces and Sustainability
Fort Mill is a popular water sports and recreation area, offering several related venues that attract new residents and businesses:
- Anne Springs Close Greenway: Forests, lakes, and pastures with land and water trails for hiking, biking, kayaking, dog walking, and horseback riding. Located along Highway I-77 north of Fort Mill with several entrances.
- Baxter Village of Fort Mill is the next generation Small Town America. Open spaces and sustainabiity are woven on to the fabric of this shopping, entertainment, and residential center.
- Carolina Thread Trail
- Fort Mill Downtown Historic District: This area between Clebourne and Main Streets include parks, greenspaces, historic buildings, and monuments to the Catawba Indians, slaves, and Confederate soldiers. The City Bandstand where several events take place hosts music and a candidates' series of speeches
Fort Mill is home to an award-winning drum and bugle corps that has won or placed in competitions since 1993. Its members make up the Carolina Crown.
"Triple Crown" Performed by Carolina Crown
Drum and bugle corps are popular in the South and gaining an audience throughout the nation. Young people can march with the corps for several years and gain a variety of resume-building leadership and arts/musical skills through participation. State, regional, and larger drum and bugle corps performances in competition are very entertaining and exciting to watch.
In the video, the Carolina Crown drum and bugle corps stages a complete horse race. Members of the corps portray jockeys, horses, and a realistic photo finish. Fort Mill is proud of this group and their families.
- Belmont Abbey College at 100 Belmont Mt Holly Rd; Belmont, NC
- Carolinas College of Health Sciences at 1200 Blythe Blvd; Charlotte, NC
- Kings College at 322 Lamar Ave; Charlotte, NC
- York Technical College at 452 S Anderson Rd, Rock Hill, SC 29730 · (803) 327-8000.
- University of Michigan Branch, Fort Mill SC
- University of South Carolina at Lancaster at 476 Hubbard Drive
Lancaster, SC 29720.
- Winthrop University
Business and Historical Importance
Historically, Fort Mill was the location of the final Confederate States Cabinet meeting. Confederate Park in the downtown district features the first and only American monument to date that commemorates black slaves that fought for the Confederacy in the Civil War.
Fort Mill began as a gift from Native Americans in the 1700s to whites that were passing through the area. Before the Revolutionary War, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Spratt spent a night among the friendly Catawba Nation, were invited to live there, and given a large tract of land. Spratts of this line still live in Fort Mill, according to the City website and a government building on Main Street is called the Spratt Building.
Fort Mill Tour - Confederate Park and Other Historic Places
An inscription on the Catawba Memorial by Louise Pettus states, "Erected to the Catawba Indians by Sam’l Elliott White and John McKee Spratt." The descendants of these two gentleman remain in the Fort Mill area.
- U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Labor Projections 2016 - 2026
- Glassdoor jobs in Fort Mill, South Carolina
- Sperling's Best Places: Fort Mill
- Stone, S. York County places 3rd nationally in job growth for 2018-2019. WRHI AM. May 21, 2020.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2010 Patty Inglish MS
caretakerray on March 21, 2010:
Patty Inglish, MS:
Patty if I ever relocate, I will be sure to check with you for the jobs market.
thanx for another great hub. :)
Hello, hello, from London, UK on March 19, 2010:
Enjoyed reading about the history and learned so much about it. There so many tribe of Indians of which I never knew. All we heard about was the Apache and one or two of others. I love learning about them. Thank you for a very interesting hub.