Top 25 Fastest-Growing Jobs in California
California Enjoyed Job Growth and Increases 2013 - 2015
Statewide, jobs grew from approximately 936,000 openings listed across the Internet in January 2013 to over 972,500 open job postings in August of the same year. This is an increase of 36,500 job vacancies or about 39% more available jobs in less than one year.
By September 2013, California had over 1,009,000 open job listings across the state and these jobs were not in the seasonal industries. Many jobs offered high pay, such as those in physical therapy and software engineering. Additional seasonal jobs would/will be added for the winter holiday season for an additional increase. The state Unemployment Rate was 8.5% during September 2013, reducing during the following year to 7.2% in September 2014.
By April 2015, the state showed advertisements of 325,526 openings, with a state Unemployment Rate reduced further in February 2015 to 6.9%, compared with 5.5% as a national average.
Job Listings Increase During 2013 by 39%Click thumbnail to view full-size
Employment Trends In California
Los Angeles is the largest incorporated city in the State of California. From June, 2008 to December, 2009 (spanning the change in presidential administration in Washington DC), the city experienced an increase of 22% in Internet-logged job listings, according to leading job search, trending, and aggregating engines.
From 2010-2012, California's statewide increase in numbers of jobs was consistent until March of 2012, thanks in part to the growing aerospace Industry.
Job listings declined from March-December, 2012, but began to increase rapidly again in January, 2013. Listings reached a 39% increase (or 39,500 more jobs) by August, 2013 and a total of over 1,000,000 jobs by September, 2013.
Despite the Great Recession and severe financial problems in several of California's cities, many metropolitan areas of California experienced actual job growth (see chart below).
Santa Ana Experienced the Largest Increase in Jobs
Job Listing Increases in California Cities During 2013
- Santa Ana–115% increase
- Irvine–58% increase
- San Francisco–89% increase
- Anaheim–75% increase
- Bakersfield–63% increase
- Fresno–49% increase
- Pasadena–34% increase
- San Jose–33% increase
- Los Angeles–22% increase in job listings
- Riverside–22% increase
- Long Beach–19% increase
- Sacramento–9% increase
- Stockton–9% increase
- Oakland–2% increase
Job Listing Decreases in California Cities During 2013
- San Diego–62% decrease
- Chula Vista–47% decrease
- Modesto–36% decrease
- San Bernardino–31% decrease
- Fremont–8% decrease
Where the Most Jobs are In California During 2015
These cities offer the largest number of jobs in California:
- San Francisco,
- Los Angeles,
- San Diego (a good recovery from the decrease shown in 2013),
- San Jose,
- Sacramento (State Capital),
- Palo Alto,
- Mountain View, and
Top 10 Largest Employers in California
Many of these employers are involved in aerospace, IT, energy, and defense, including the universities. Healthcare is another top industry.
- 32nd Street Naval Station in San Diego–US Navy
- UCLA Health System in Los Angeles
- UCLA in Los Angeles (University of California at Los Angeles)
- Los Angeles County Sheriff in Monterey Park
- Nestle USA in Glendale–Food manufacturing
- Edwards Air Force Base in Lancaster–USAF
- University Of California at San Diego
- University Of California at San Francisco
- University Of California at Berkeley
- Sharp Memorial Hospital in San Diego
Additional Top Employers:
- Score in Santa Barbara–SBA consultants
- University of California at Irvine
- Chevron Corporation–Oil & Gas
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center in West Hollywood
- Cisco Systems in San Jose
California Business Directions
The major employers around California are largely involved in government, education, and aerospace, except for Nestle.
Information for these lists was gathered by SimplyHired.com and Indeed.com, employment and trending organizations. Information may also be found at Career One Stop at Careerinfonet.org.
Top California Job Listers
- Elance Real Estate Investments
- CVS Pharmacy
- Supplemental Health Care
- Bank of America
- Cybercoders–Engineers, IT
- American Mobile Health
- Cisco Systems
- California State Personnel Board
- Orchard Supply Hardware
- Soliant Health Staffing
- Pizza Hut
- Toys R Us
- Kaiser Permanente
Top 25 Jobs Listed in California
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Software Engineers–Systems and Apps–Important in Healthcare, Finance, and Space Programs, as well as Manufacturing.
- Sales Representatives
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Store Managers
- IT Project Managers
- Administrative Assistants
- Senior Software Engineers
- Account Executives
- Assistant Store Managers
- Financial Advisors
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Healthcare Volunteers–unpaid positions
- Customer Service Representatives
- Application Architects
- Procurement Managers
- Business Analysts
- Online Teachers–High School core courses
- Document Translators
- Financial Analysts
- Mechanical Engineers and Systems Engineers–Important in the Space Programs
Best California Cities for Jobs and Business (See map below)
- Bakersfield, California Jobs: Construction, Insurance, Financial Products & Services Construction, insurance, and financial products jobs are being listed in central California, especially Kern County. Construction positions, including supervisors, fill most of the top 20 slots for high-demand jobs in Bakersfield.
- Jobs and Internships in Hidden Hills, CA The city of Hidden Hills, California, a suburb to the west of Los Angeles, is another wealthy city in Southern California. In the San Fernando Valley, Hidden Hills is Number 7 on the BusinessWeek Wealthiest 25 Cities in America.
- Sustainable Industry Jobs in the Inland Empire The Inland Empire contains two counties in southern California, east of Los Angeles. The fastest growing industries include tourism, wholesale trade, logistics, healthcare, bioengineering medicine, food products, and technologies.
- Lincoln, CA–Electric Cars and Alternative Energy Lincoln, California is a hot spot for alternative energies and fuels, especially electric cars called LEVs.
- Sacramento, California Business development and new jobs are growing in Sacramento, one of the Top 25 Best US Cities for jobs, according to major business analysts Forbes and others. Long-term, high-paying careers are available in several areas.
- Hot Jobs in Stockton California Stockton, California was home to 300,000 in 2012. It features active ports on thousands of miles of clear waterways in what is well known as the California Delta and is where one if the state's major colleges is located.
California Jobs on the Map (See descriptions above)
Employment Projections to 2016
The state of California expects the following 25 job titles to increase in numbers by higher percentages than other occupations to 2016, although healthcare-related jobs will likely increase after 2016 as well (reference: State Occupational Projections).
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts
- Computer Software Applications Engineers
- Forensic Science Technicians
- Skin Care Specialists–Associated with physicians' medical practices
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)/Patient Care Techs
- Occupational Therapist Assistants
- Mathematical Scientists
- Traffic Technicians
- Aircraft Cargo Handling Supervisors
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Dental Hygienists
- Substance Abuse and Behavioral Disorder Counselors
- Dental Assistants
- Athletic Trainers
- Special Education Teachers for Preschool–Elementary School Grades
- Biomedical Engineers
- Multi-Media Artists and Animators
- Physical Therapist Aides
- Ambulance Drivers and Attendants
- Medical Assistants
- Database Administrators
Jobs and Economic Recovery
Aerospace Industries Will Provide New Jobs 2015 - 2025Click thumbnail to view full-size
More by this Author
Useful Employment and Industry Market Forecasts for the United States and United Kingdom.
For a job interview, are you prepared to answer every crazy, impossible question without exposing your flaws? Prepare for your interview by reading these right answers to those very wrong questions.
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...