Employment Trends and High Demand Jobs in Washington DC to AD 2025
Fastest Expanding Careers in Washington DC
Washington DC is a hub for data collection and use, such as statistics and analyses of federal and world economies, politics, social reforms, heath issues, and various other undertakings. This fact makes DC a center for long-term careers in Information Technology (IT).
IT jobs are enjoying a steady growth in the District of Columbus and will continue to do so as increasing numbers of industries accept and advance in technology.
Tech-Savvy Industries in Washington
DC is home to the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Alternative Health, which rely heavily on grant-funded studies and the research data they generate.
The Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control in Georgia, is also headquartered in DC. All of its departments require and use statistics.
Child and Family Services Agencies certainly uses statistics and IT professionals to follow thousands of families receiving material and legal help.
The Department of Labor requires a large amount of information on a daily basis.
The federal Office of Motion Picture and Television Development uses information. The University of the District of Columbia is a public university that uses information and IT professionals.
The Smithsonian Institute is a system of dozens of museums and the National Zoo, all requiring IT professionals.
We see hundreds of agencies in DC that require IT personnel and offer long term IT careers, including the Library of Congress that houses hundreds of thousands of books.
Add to all the above the non-profits and for profit companies and a plethora of job opportunities and careers are readily available in and around America's capital city.
The Brookings Institution is a non-profit independent research corporation that is currently analyzing the War in Iraq and the 2008 road to the presidency. The scientists and researchers of Brookings are listening to voters across America to learn what the people of the US really want from their next president - the exact issues that are most important and relevant. Brookings is also located in DC.
This important firm's data impact nearly all areas of our society: economics, foreign policy, social, health, education, political, urban, and others. You can sign up for the regular free newsletter from Brookings Institution at the links to the right.
The Brookings Institution
- Brookings - an important independent research firm.
- Jobs and Internships | Brookings Institution
- Brookings Opportunity 08
Brookings Opportunity 08, in partnership with ABC News, has tapped into the thoughts and wishes of the American voters.
Local market area jobs increased from 2011 through 2018.
Job Skills Required to AD 2025
- Software Engineers, Java Developers: Software developing knowledge.
- Systems and Network Engineers: Advanced IT knowledge and experience.
- Project Managers: Advanced IT training.
- Occupational and Physical Therapists: Health-related trai and exerptise.
- Program Managers: IT and specific program training, related to computers, social services, medicine, and other fields.
- Business Analysts: IT analytical skills.
- Sales Representatives and Managers: Sales training and experience. This will include computer services and products, medical products, and others.
- Systems Administrators: Advanced IT knowledge and experience.
Highest Levels of Skills Required and Salaries
- Management Analysts $77,000+. Bachelor's Degree or higher. Example: during summer 2018, about 100,000 job openings existed for this title, with median annual salary of over $81,000.
- Lawyers $130,000 and above. Professional Degree.
- General and Operations Managers $100,000 and above. Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Accountants and auditors $65,000 or more. Bachelor's Degree.
- Computer Systems Analysts $80,000+. Bachelor's Degree.
- Chief Executives $138,000". Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Economists $95,000 or more. Master's Degree.
- Public Relations Specialists $72,000 and above. Bachelor's Degree.
Job Search in the Capital
- District Of Columbia Federal jobs
District Of Columbia government jobs, federal jobs and government contractor and private sector jobs. Search, research and apply for District Of Columbia public sector openings at America Job
- Capitol Hill Jobs, PR Jobs and Public Affairs jobs in Congressional Offices, nonprofits and private
- Washington DC Area Jobs & Careers: Find Your Perfect Job, Search Now!
Top Three IT Jobs in Washington DC
- This responsible position requires some higher education, from an associate's degree to a PhD. Database administrators work with the newest software systems in business in order to organize data in useful ways that make sense.
- These individuals set up computer databases and maintains them. They also design and implement computer systems. Logic, creative thinking, and critical thinking skills are vital in this position. Efficiency, determination, and excellent communications and presentations skills are also relevantly vital this this type of career field. The starting salary of a database administrator in 2015 was $68,000 - $100,000 (median at $81,700) and increasing.
- These positions will grow faster than the average job in the US. Lucrative salaries are one of the star attractions of careers in IT engineering, and these salaries vary depending on the employer.
- The average salary for IT engineers with an undergraduate degree and one year of experience in 2015 was $81,000. IT engineers employed with software publishers usually earn a six-figure salary. Median pay for all IT engineers during summer 2018 was $100,700.
- Computer software systems designers employ large numbers of IT engineers in software publishing, management, insurance, and credit depository. Computer systems design engineers earn $103,850 and more per year. Perks and benefits include expense accounts, stock options, company vehicles and other offerings.
Network System Analyst/Data Communications Specialist
This will be one of the fastest of the fast growing careers going forward.
- Network system analysts who work for carriers of wireless communication earn over $65,130 annually.
- Insurance carrier network system analysts earn an average of $64,660.
- In management companies the average salary was $64,170 in 2015.
- Analysts that design computer systems earn over $64,000 yearly.
- Local branches of government offer an average annual salary of $52,300 or more.
IT Careers Search Link: http://dc.computerwork.com/
Local Healthcare Job Opportunities
- Children's National Medical Center: 111 Michigan Ave NW, Washington, DC 20010
- Georgetown University Hospital
- Georgetown University Medical Center
- George Washington University Hospital: 900 23rd St NW, Washington, DC 20037
- Howard University Hospital: 2041 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, DC 20059
- National Rehabilitation Hospital: 102 Irving St NW, Washington, DC 20010
- Providence Hospital: 1150 Varnum St NE, Washington, DC 20017
- The Psychiatric Institute of Washington: 4228 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016
- Sibley Memorial Hospital: 5255 Loughboro Rd NW, Washington, DC 20016
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center: 50 Irving St NW, Washington, DC 20422
- Washington Hospital Center: 110 Irving St NW, Washington, DC 20010
Top Forecasted DC Healthcare Jobs
- Home Health; Nursing Aides/Orderlies; Psychiatric; Pharmacy
- Occupational Therapist Assistants and Aides, Physical Therapist Assistants; Massage Therapists $43,850. Certification.
- Dental Assistants, Medical Assistants, Medical Equipment Assistants, Medical Transcriptionists,Veterinary/Assistants Laboratory
Fastest Growing For-Profit Companies
- Sykesville, MD
- Information - firstname.lastname@example.org
Intellimar serves America's largest commercial and federal government clients, providing homeland security, anti-terrorism, and other security solutions.
- 1920 L St NW, 6th Floor. Washington, DC 20036
- In the USA: (800) 310-4604
- International: +1 (202) 467 6868
- Online Contact Form: http://web.liquidation.com/contactus
Liquidity Services seems like a Mega-Flea Market, but is much more sophisticated. They offer asset recovery services and an online auction to advertise surplus and wholesale goods. In the middle of the downtown, it is a giant auction-place serving wholesalers, manufacturers, and government agencies and contractors.
- Herndon, Virginia
- 1.866.345.0983 toll-free
iDirect Technologies delivers high-tech solutions to achieve the 2005 Innovation and Technology of the Year Award. They were named by Deloitte and Touche as one of Virginia Technology's Fast 50 growing US tech companies. They have additional offices in UK and Asia.
- Chantilly, VA
- E-mail: email@example.com
LanceSoft Inc. looks for new employees with innovative ideas, good critical thinking, and creativity. LanceSoft Inc. was Number Three on the list of Deloitte Technology's Fast 50 growing companies of 2005. They also maintain offices in Banglador, Chennai, and Trichy, India; and in UK.
- McLean, VA
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online contact form: http://www.conv.com/contact/
This company serves federal, state, and local branches of US government with tech consulting.
Universities and Colleges in Washington DC
Unique Local Colleges
- Corcoran Gallery and Corcoran College of Art and Design at http://www.corcoran.org/
- Strayer University for Working Adults: 11 campuses and online classes as well for distance learning at http://www.strayer.edu/campus-finder?province=DC
- The University of the District of Columbia at http://www.udc.edu/ -- "The University of the District of Columbia is the only public institution of higher education in the District of Columbia. Chartered in 1974 from three other institutions of higher learning, this Historically Black College/University maintains an open admissions policy, and is the only urban land-grant institution in the nation."
Other Top Schools
- American University at http://www.american.edu/
- Catholic University http://www.cua.edu/
- Georgetown University http://www.georgetown.edu/
- George Washington University http://www.gwu.edu/
- Howard University http://www.howard.edu/
- Trinity University www.trinitydc.edu
- Chamber of Commerce, Washington DC. www.dcchamber.org/ Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Department of Labor, Bureau of Statistics, June 2018.
- NIH job listings and news. /jobs.nih.gov/ Retrieved March 11, 2017; June 3, 2018.
- US Chamber of Commerce. /www.uschamber.com/ Retrieved June 3, 2018.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
What is the best and/or most in-demand job title in the Washington, DC area?
A Fortune 1000 company is listing the most job openings and generally the highest salaries in the DC area. This is CACI International, which provides IT services for national security missions and government in the areas of intelligence, defense, and federal civilian agencies. Most job openings are at the mid-career level and pay very well, over $65,000 annually with benefits.
What is the cost of living in Washington DC compared to the rest of the USA?
The cost of living in the United States overall is considered to be 100. In Washington DC, the cost of living is listed as 159 in 2018, or over half again as much as the country as a whole. Why is that?
Groceries are about 13% more expensive here than in the country as a whole, and the median single-family home price is over $561,000.00 (in the USA total, it is half of that). However, the bulk of residents are earning over $75,000.00 annually, with the largest segment being in the $100K - $150K range.
To find a lower cost of living try these DC neighborhoods: Benning, Hillcrest, Congress Heights, and Fort Dupont. Also try suburbs like Frederick, Maryland.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS