Ms. Inglish is a successful employment & training pro, setting Midwest regional records with tens of thousands placed in gainful employment.
Fastest Expanding Careers in Washington, D.C.
The nation's capital is a center for data collection and use, including statistics and analyses of federal and world economies, politics, social reforms, heath issues, and various other undertakings. This fact makes D.C. a center for long-term careers in Information Technology (IT).
IT jobs are enjoying steady growth in the District of Columbia and will continue to do so as increasing numbers of industries accept and advance in technology.
Top 10 Fastest-Growing Jobs
At least 50% of the top 10 jobs offering the most new positions to 2026 in D.C. are in information technology, according to the Office of Labor Market Research and Information (OLMRI).
- Managers: General and Operations
- Management Analysts: This is fully an IT job.
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators (IT)
- Business Operations Specialists (Often involved in IT)
- Other Computer Operations jobs (IT)
- Market Research Analysts and Marketing Specialists (IT)
- Public Relations Specialists
- Registered Nurses
- Other Managers
Job Skill Sets in D.C. Required to 2026
- Software Engineers, Java Developers: Software developing knowledge.
- Systems and Network Engineers: Advanced IT knowledge and experience.
- Project Managers: Advanced IT training.
- Occupational and Physical Therapists: Health-related.
- Program Managers: IT and specific program training related to computers, social services, medicine, and other fields.
- Business Analysts: IT analytical skills.
- Sales Representatives and Managers: Sales training and experience. This will include computer services and products, medical products, and others.
- Systems Administrators: Advanced IT knowledge and experience.
Highest Levels of Skills Required and Median Salaries
- Management Analysts $99,000+. Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Lawyers $162,000 and above. Professional Degree.
- General and Operations Managers $138,000+. Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Accountants and auditors $65,000 or more. Bachelor's Degree.
- Computer Systems Analysts $90,000+. Bachelor's Degree.
- Chief Executives $160,000+. Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Economists $95,000 or more. Master's Degree.
- Public Relations Specialists $83,000 and above. Bachelor's Degree.
Tech-Savvy Industries in Washington
1. Health Services
D.C. is home to the National Institutes of Health and the National Institute of Alternative Health, which rely heavily on grant-funded studies and the research data they generate.
The Department of Health and Human Services, which oversees the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control in Georgia, is also headquartered in D.C. All of its departments require and use statistics.
2. Family Services
Child and Family Services Agencies certainly uses statistics and IT professionals to follow thousands of families receiving material and legal help.
3. Job Services
The Department of Labor requires a large amount of information on a daily basis.
The Smithsonian Institute is a system of dozens of museums and the National Zoo, all requiring IT professionals.
We see hundreds of agencies in D.C. that require IT personnel and offer long-term IT careers, including the Library of Congress, which houses hundreds of thousands of books.
Add to all of the above the non-profits and for-profit companies, and a plethora of job opportunities and careers are readily available in and around America's capital city.
Top 3 Local IT Jobs
- These positions will grow faster than the average job in the US. Lucrative salaries are one of the star attractions of careers in IT engineering, and these salaries vary depending on the employer.
- IT engineers employed with software publishers usually earn a six-figure salary.
- Computer software systems designers employ large numbers of IT engineers in software publishing, management, insurance, and credit depository. Computer systems design engineers earn $115,000 and more per year. Perks and benefits include expense accounts, stock options, company vehicles, and other offerings.
Network System Analyst/Data Communications Specialist
- This will be one of the fastest fast-growing careers going forward.
- Network system analysts who work for carriers of wireless communication earn over $95,000 annually.
- Local branches of government offer an average annual salary of $60,000 or more.
- This responsible position requires some higher education, from an associate's degree to a Ph.D. Database administrators work with the newest software systems in business in order to organize data in useful ways that make sense.
- These individuals set up computer databases and maintain them. They also design and implement computer systems. Logic, creative thinking, and critical thinking skills are vital in this position. Efficiency, determination, and excellent communications and presentation skills are also relevantly vital in this type of career field. The median salary of a database administrator runs from the high five figures to six figures.
IT Careers Search Link: http://dc.computerwork.com/
The Brookings Institution in D.C. is a non-profit independent research corporation that analyzes U.S. and global affairs, including health and human services, and the lead-up to each U. S. Presidential Election. The scientists and researchers of Brookings are listening to voters across to learn what the people of the U.S. really want from their next president.
This important firm's data impact nearly all areas of our society: economics, foreign policy, social, health, education, politics, urban, and others. You can sign up for the regular free newsletter from Brookings Institution at the links to the right.
The Brookings Institution
Job Search in the Capital
- Capitol Hill Jobs, PR Jobs and Public Affairs jobs in Congressional Offices, nonprofits and private
- Washington, D.C. Area Jobs & Careers: Find Your Perfect Job, Search Now!
D.C. has a lot of fastest growing technology companies.
— "GrowJo," Washington, D.C., June 2020
Fastest Growing Companies to 2026
- Aireon Aviation
- Xometry: Engineering
- Viela Biotech
- Pebblebrook: Real Estate and Finance
- Fundation: Finance
- Verodin: IT Security
- Booz Allen: IT Consulting
- HawkEye 360: Defense
Newer Companies That Continue to Grow
- Sykesville, MD
Intellimar serves America's largest commercial and federal government clients, providing homeland security, anti-terrorism, and other security solutions.
- 1920 L St NW, 6th Floor. Washington, D.C. 20036
Liquidity Services seems like a mega flea market but is much more sophisticated. They offer asset recovery services and an online auction to advertise surplus and wholesale goods. In the middle of downtown, it is a giant auction place serving wholesalers, manufacturers, government agencies, and contractors.
- Herndon, Virginia
iDirect Technologies delivered high-tech solutions to achieve the 2005 Innovation and Technology of the Year Award. They were named by Deloitte and Touche as one of Virginia Technology's Fast 50 growing tech companies.
- Chantilly, VA
- LanceSoft Inc. looks for new employees with innovative ideas, good critical thinking, and creativity. LanceSoft Inc. was Number Three on the list of Deloitte Technology's Fast 50 growing companies of 2005. They also maintain offices in Banglador, Chennai, Trichy, India, and in the U.K.
- McLean, VA
This company serves federal, state, and local branches of the U.S. government with tech consulting.
Healthcare Job Opportunities
- Children's National Medical Center: 111 Michigan Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 20010
- Georgetown University Hospital
- Georgetown University Medical Center
- George Washington University Hospital: 900 23rd St NW, Washington, D.C. 20037
- Howard University Hospital: 2041 Georgia Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 20059
- National Rehabilitation Hospital: 102 Irving St NW, Washington, D.C. 20010
- Providence Hospital: 1150 Varnum St NE, Washington, D.C. 20017
- The Psychiatric Institute of Washington: 4228 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington, D.C. 20016
- Sibley Memorial Hospital: 5255 Loughboro Rd NW, Washington, D.C. 20016
- Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Veterans Affairs Medical Center: 50 Irving St NW, Washington, D.C. 20422
- Washington Hospital Center: 110 Irving St NW, Washington, D.C. 20010
Top Forecasted D.C. Healthcare Job
1. Health Aides
- Home Health; Nursing Aides/Orderlies; Psychiatric; Pharmacy
- Occupational Therapist Assistants and Aides, Physical Therapist Assistants, Speech Therapists; Massage Therapists.
3. Medical Personnel
- Registered Nurses, Dental Assistants, Medical Assistants, Medical Equipment Assistants, Medical Transcriptionists, Veterinarians, and Veterinary Assistants.
Universities and Colleges in Washington, D.C.
Unique Local Colleges
- Corcoran Gallery and Corcoran College of Art and Design at http://www.corcoran.org/
- Strayer University for Working Adults: 11 campuses and online classes as well for distance learning at http://www.strayer.edu/campus-finder?province=DC
- The University of the District of Columbia at http://www.udc.edu/ -- "The University of the District of Columbia is the only public institution of higher education in the District of Columbia. Chartered in 1974 from three other institutions of higher learning, this Historically Black College/University maintains an open admissions policy, and is the only urban land-grant institution in the nation."
Other Top Schools
- American University at http://www.american.edu/
- Catholic University http://www.cua.edu/
- Georgetown University http://www.georgetown.edu/
- George Washington University http://www.gwu.edu/
- Howard University http://www.howard.edu/
- Trinity University www.trinitydc.edu
- Department of Labor, Bureau of Statistics, June 2018, June 2020
- Fastest Growing Companies in Washington, D.C. - 2020
- NIH job listings and news
- Office of Labor Market Research and Information
- US Chamber of Commerce
- Washington, D.C. Chamber of Commerce
- Washington, D.C.'s Hot 50 Jobs
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Question: What is the best and/or most in-demand job title in the Washington, DC area?
Answer: A Fortune 1000 company is listing the most job openings and generally the highest salaries in the DC area. This is CACI International, which provides IT services for national security missions and government in the areas of intelligence, defense, and federal civilian agencies. Most job openings are at the mid-career level and pay very well, over $65,000 annually with benefits.
Question: What is the cost of living in Washington DC compared to the rest of the USA?
Answer: The cost of living in the United States overall is considered to be 100. In Washington DC, the cost of living is listed as 159 in 2018, or over half again as much as the country as a whole. Why is that?
Groceries are about 13% more expensive here than in the country as a whole, and the median single-family home price is over $561,000.00 (in the USA total, it is half of that). However, the bulk of residents are earning over $75,000.00 annually, with the largest segment being in the $100K - $150K range.
To find a lower cost of living try these DC neighborhoods: Benning, Hillcrest, Congress Heights, and Fort Dupont. Also try suburbs like Frederick, Maryland.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS
Tim Truzy from U.S.A. on January 22, 2020:
This is a well written and informative article, Patty. you researched it thoroughly while making the information easy to read. Your data still is quite relevant. Respect and admiration
anil78650 on June 09, 2010:
is a good source of jobs because it shows you jobs from employer career pages. The site also does not accept any advertising like other jobs sites which charge employers to post ads on their site. In contrast, this site is a research site that investigates jobs posted on employer websites and shows you our research.Change the Domain URL then place your Keyword Rich Text Here!
tech for geek on July 04, 2008:
Best Practices in Job Search, US & Canada. Workforce Pro, Martial Arts Grandmaster, Health & Medical Researcher; Education Specialist; US Rep to Supreme Council for Sports in Afric
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on April 25, 2008:
It's in my profile, Friend. Just click on the picture of the woman in the red jacket, carrying a briefcase.
Job Nigeria on April 24, 2008:
I just want to know....what is your occupation anyway...you wrote a lot of amazing hub....you know almost about everything.....
uhhhh...i wish i can do the same...