Working as a CCA at the post office

Updated on April 20, 2016

The Hiring Process.

I sent an application in around June. I actually applied for two positions. A CCA which stands for a City Carrier Assistant. Which is basically a substitute carrier. If a regular is on vacation or sick, you fill in and do their route. Also if there is too much mail, one day or a whole bunch of packages you might be assigned to do a few hours of different routes, through out the city. And I applied for an RCA which is basically the same thing as a City Carrier Assistant, you are just working for the rural areas.

The next day, I received an e-mail letting me know I had one week to take the postal exam. The postal testing facility was three hours away. So I scheduled a day, and drove the three hours there. The test was fairly easy for me, and I passed with flying colors.

A month goes by, and I hear nothing.......

Then out of the blue, I get an email stating that I had an interview scheduled for the very next day.

I had to ask off, find a babysitter, and get an nice outfit, all in one night. I thought this was going to be a good career move, so I did everything in my power to be there. I thought the interview went well. I left there with the feeling that I nailed it.

Another month goes by, and I hear nothing.....By now I'm guessing I didn't get the job.

Than I get an e-mail to come in and sign some paperwork. I signed the paperwork and I assumed I got the job. But never was officially told. So I was unsure.

Two weeks go by, and nothing......

Than I get an e-mail inviting me to have an interview the next day for the RCA position. I emailed them back, telling them I have been filling out paperwork and had an interview for the CCA position, and wondered if I should come in for the RCA position. They replied, they thought my name looked familiar. If I wanted the RCA position I would have to go through the process all over again, but I was already hired for the CCA position. So it was up to me, what I wanted to do. That was how I found out that I was officially hired.


Orientation, Driving School, and Postal Academy.

When working for the post office, everything is done on their time. A few weeks after finding out that I indeed got the job, I was called in to be fingerprinted. That is when they handed me a piece of paper, that officially said I was hired. On the paper it told me to quit my current job, without giving them any notice. (it literally said, do not give notice)

Two weeks later, on a Thursday I received an e-mail stating my orientation would be the following Monday, Tuesday and Weds. I didn't have a sitter, and it was summer. So my husband took three days off of work.

Orientation, was boring. It was a classroom setting, with videos and power points. The only plus side was the instructor. He was a hilarious, old hippy, who was in a band. He also gave us his number, and said if we had any issues with our supervisors, he would happily stick up for us and go toe to toe with any post master. At the end of orientation we received a bunch of paperwork, one paper let us know if we didn't pass the drivers test, it would be the end all. On the last day of orientation, I received an e-mail stating I needed to be at driving school the next two days. (Thursday and Friday.)

I walked into driving school, scared. I'm a good driver, but I never drove on the right side in an LLV before, and I knew if I didn't pass, I wouldn't get the job. The instructor looked like Ben Stein's son, with a dry sense of humor. He wore an over sized Bright Blue Under Armor sweatshirt and drank large bottles of blue Gatorade. We watched this cartoon video, that was stupidly funny. It seemed as though it was made for children. Afterwards, we took the written exam. Which was just as comical as the video and we were allowed to work on it together. The next day we took out the LLV. Honestly, driving on the right wasn't as hard as you think.

The last day of driving school, I get an email letting me know that I had to go to the postal academy the very next Tuesday. Yes, there is a thing called the postal academy. My postal academy was about a two hour drive, in another state. It was two days long, so I was allowed to stay in a hotel, and they would "reimburse" me for the cost.

The postal academy was just like orientation, an instructor, videos, power points, and paper work. I learned nothing new. It was totally pointless.


My First Week as a CCA!

As soon as I came back from the postal academy, I started working. The first day, I walked and watched my trainer "John" for a few hours, and than I tried it on my own. (Delivering mail, is definitely harder than it looks.) The second day I was on my own for the morning, with "John" supervising me and than we split up and split the rest of the mail in the afternoon. "John" was nice and really talk-a-tive. He was obsessed with selling on Ebay and Amazon, and he spent hours talking about it.

The third day, I had a different trainer, "Bob" that showed me how to do mounted routes. (Routes where you drive to each mailbox) He was a VERY nice regular. Not only with training me, but also later. He was one of those regulars that was always willing to help out.

The fourth day I was on my own. "John" was assigned as my mentor. And I was told if I had any questions or concerns, or if I ever needed anything, to contact him. On the Forth day I only did a few hours of a route. At first I was completely terrified, but as the day went on I got more and more confident. The Fifth day I was on the same route and began feeling even more confident. The sixth day, I was a terrible walking route. I had no idea where I was going, there was construction everywhere. It was raining, and I dropped my mail. Every confidence in me, crumbled.


My career as a CCA!

As time went on, I had a love hate relationship with my job.

I liked the pay, I liked the good routes, I loved walking (when the weather was nice) and I loved (some of) my co-workers. All my friends and family kept telling me what a great job I had. (little did they know)

But there was so much I hated.

1. The vehicles are a piece of crap, safety hazard, that literally are breaking down left and right. They didn't keep up on the maintenance. They were fixed only good enough to keep them on the road. I couldn't count, how many times I had to call in with vehicle trouble.

2. You are overworked. I can not say this enough! You never know, what time you will be done for the day. (which was not explained to me in my interview, I actually was told I would be done by 4:30 p.m. at the latest) You could spend six hours on a route, to come back and have them send you out with more mail. Then you think, now I have to be done....right.....wrong. As soon as you get back, they send you out, to help someone finish their route. Some nights, we were out with head lights on, delivering at 9 o'clock at night. Also, they purposely write your schedule in pencil. So they can fill it in as they please. You might have tomorrow off, but by the time you are finish for the day, you see they wrote you to come in. If your lucky to get a day off, they call you over and over to come in. They can only guarantee, one day off in 15 days. And if you think, at least there is always Sundays off. Think again.

3. Lazy regulars! Some regulars, are amazing, They will thank you for helping them, by taking an hour off their route. When there is too much work for them. They will organize the mail in a way that makes sense. And they will work overtime to help you! Other regulars, will act like they are better than you. They will give you the worst part of their route. If the supervisor tells them to give you an hour of their route, they will give you two hours. So you are always behind and rushing. They wont thank you, they wont help you, they wont even explain their route to you. They will just hand it over, and say good luck!

4. The supervisors don't care about you. All they care is that the mail is delivered. If you take to long, they yell at you. I've seen supervisor yell at people to hurry up and get on the street, after the CCA came back from already delivering 8 hours of mail. I've seen supervisors make CCA's cry. They don't care that it's late, that you haven't seen your kids in a week because you leave for work before they get up, and you come home when their in bed. They don't care that you have worked 13 days in a row or that it's freezing out. They don't care that you have a van (which is only set up to be used for walking routes) and they want you to figure out a way to do a mounted route. (which is a driving route) You are not a person to them, you are a machine.

5. It's so unorganized. You have to remind your supervisors of things, over and over. When you ask for time off, they constantly lose the slip and when they do find it, your time off is always denied. My very first check was short, by $300 dollars. It took them two months to correct it. It took them almost four months to reimburse me for my hotel and miles, from when I was at the postal academy.

6. Breaks, what are those? Seriously, I worked 14 hour days, booked with so much mail, with so little time limits that I never had time to take a break. No ten minute breaks, no lunches. I was lucky if I had time to eat a granola bar while I drove. If you took longer than your supervisor scheduled you, you would get yelled at. I had a supervisor who would give you the silent treatment, if you were five minutes over. Do they not realize while your on the street, anything could make you go five minutes over...You may need gas, or someone stops you on the street to ask a question. I never had time for bathroom breaks, that I ended up getting a UTI.

7. Customers. Some customers are great, they will wave and thank you for their mail. Children who are waiting for their school bus, will get excited as you drive by. Other customer's are so rude. They act like it's your job to wait on them. Some people never check their mail. So when you are out delivering in the freezing rain, to full mail boxes, you think what is the point. I once delivered to a clothing store, (it was not high end) and I was told by the cashier, that "the help, comes through the back door." I didn't realized by being a mail carrier I was considered the help. One of my co-workers is pregnant, and she had a customer call her fat, and told her she should do more walking routes, because she could use the exercise!

My Mentor!

My mentor "John" ended up being a terrible mentor. I asked him for dog spray. He told me he would get it for me, but never did. Any time I asked him questions, he didn't know the answer. One day I am delivering mail on a driving route. I see a note that says, "Leave packages on porch by front door!" So I think, well I don't have any packages for this particular address, so I delivered the mail and continued on my way. About two hours later, "John" pulls up next to me and tells me to pull over. So I do! And he pulls over in front of me. He gets out tells me it's his day off and starts yelling at me, because I didn't pick up his Ebay packages. He said I delivered mail to his house, where he left a note, to pick up packages by the front door. I told him, the note said, "Leave packages on porch by front door." Which made me believe if I had packages (which I didn't) to leave them by the front door. He gave me this lecture about how to make customer's happy, and right now he is the customer. I should've known what the note meant. He popped his trunk and handed me the packages. He never admitted he was wrong. Needless to say, I never went back to him to ask him for advice or questions.



Oh the Joy of Christmas and online shoppers! During Christmas season, the CCAs deliver thousands and thousands of packages each year. While people reward their regular mail man, with treats.

We started every morning with a sharpie and a list of address. We would each get about 200 packages, and we would have to go through them one by one and label each one with a number, in the order that we were going to deliver them. Than we would try to fit all 200 packages in a truck. Which was almost nearly impossible. We would deliver them until all hours of the night. I feared as soon as it got dark out. By than you couldn't see the names of the street, the address on the house, nor the address on the package. I literally was using the GPS on my phone to find the street. Than I would take a flash light to each box, to check the address, and then I would walk up to each house, with a flash light (like a cop) to make sure the address was correct. When you finally delivered the 200 packages, you would come back, just to get sent back out, to go deliver more packages. We delivered every Sunday.


My last straw!

After a day of delivering, I was sent back out with five packages. My supervisor said, deliver these and you can go home after. It put me immediately in a good mood. It was still light out, and I could go home after. I put the packages in the truck, and away I went.

I was at a red light, on a highway. My light turned green and I proceeded through the intersection. When out of no where, a women ran a red light, going 50 MPH and hit me. The mail truck spun. I hit my head on the window and completely blacked out. When I came too, this guy was asking me if I was okay, and he was on the phone with 911. I said yes, and then said my light was green. He said, I know it was, I was right behind you. I asked if the lady was okay, he said she was, but both vehicles were totaled. My head throbbed in pain. I found my phone and called my supervisor. It seemed like forever before she got there. The cops asked if I was okay, my supervisor answered for me that I was fine. Than she called someone to come and get the packages. (to deliver them) She never asked me how I was, she just told me to get checked out at the hospital, and to call if I couldn't come in tomorrow. The rest is kind of a blur. I called my husband to come get me, and we went to the ER. I suffered from a head injury, a concussion, and my whole right side was bruised. I was told, if the woman would've hit me a few seconds later, she would of hit, right where the door was, and since the mail truck is nothing but a tin box, with no air bags, she would've killed me.


Two Weeks!

I was taken off of work for a week, than I was put on light duty for a week. As soon as I was done with light duty, I was put back to hard work. It made me question, if any of it was worth it. I could've died that day. I hadn't seen my kids in over a week. My supervisor didn't even ask if I was okay! All she worried about were those stupid packages, because God forbid they arrive a day late.

About a week into working with no restrictions, I finished the route I was on, and came back to the office. A new supervisor was screaming at a CCA, to hurry up and get back out on the street. (I couldn't help but think, the way he was yelling at her, made her sound like a prostitute.) But than I remembered, oh yeah, we are nothing to them. We are machines. The next morning, without a back up plan I put in my two weeks. The supervisor that, didn't even ask if I was okay, asked me to please reconsider. The post master brought me into her office and said I was a great worker and she wished I wouldn't leave. She said she would welcome me back anytime with open arms. (I love that you don't know your appreciated, until you leave)

My last day was bittersweet. I made a lot of friends. There are so many hard working people there that I adore. My one friend always begs me to come back and suffer with her. But I don't think I would ever go back. I had such high hopes for a place that doesn't appreciate their employees.



Are you thinking about being a CCA? I think if you don't have a family, you want to work a crazy amount of hours. You love the outdoors and you don't mind the b.s. It can be a rewarding career. I defiantly appreciate my mail man so much more.



    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • profile image

      Cliff 3 months ago

      I was hired as a Transitional making $21.31 hourly . I thought "finally" I made it! little did I know how wrong

      I was!

      After working 3 months on one particular route, I was transferred to anther area of the city about 10 miles further away. The first day there I was given mail for a route and told you have 6 hours to complete the route (i didn't know its called a training route) They make you think the route takes 6 hours to complete, in reality it was a combination of 3 separate routes. Some 10 hours later me and 2 other carriers were finally able to finish the route. It was then one nice carrier told me I was on a training route design to make you work as fast as you can and do as much as you knowing its impossible to complete in 6 hours.

      The next day I report for work and immediately the supervisor start yelling and cursing at me. I was shocked and thinking to myself "oh no don't you do it cliff" finally after about 10 seconds I said in reply "hey M F'er if you want it done any faster you'll have to do it yourself, I QUIT!!! he said you can't quit, I said watch me and walked out the door. what a relief I felt, the monkey was finally off my back. truly the worst Job I ever had. Today I get a call from my son, he's so EXCITED saying dad, dad I just got hired by the post office !!!!

    • profile image

      Jenny 5 months ago

      Im fixing to quite... I have 3 kids and never get to spend time with them. I thought this was going to be a good thing for us but now im thinking i need something different.. I feel just like you did in your story.. I cry constantly i hate it so bad

    • profile image

      5 months ago

      Wow , what an emotional story. I am glad you quit because I am about to do exactly that.