The Hippie, Bohemian, Free Spirit Guide to Getting a Job
The Place to Go Online if You Are a Hippie, Bohemian, or Free Spirit in Need of Employment!
As a modern-day hippie/bohemian/free spirit, I find that it is often hard for me (and others like me) to find a job, a stable income, or any money at all sometimes! So I decided to write this article as a resource for all the hippies, bohemians, and free spirits out there who are creative, hardworking, and simply need to find a way to make ends meet, do what they want for once, or change careers and lifestyles altogether. I truly hope it helps people.
In this article, I'll discuss:
a checklist of things you'll need to have before you apply for a job,
links to a wide variety of conventional jobs, including jobs in these fields:
- art and design
- fashion, fitness, style, and spa jobs
- food industry
- international jobs
- media, communications, music, and entertainment
- freelance and odd jobs
- unconventional opportunities
plus a list of other resources.
Peace, love, & happy hunting!
Job Hunting Online
The Internet is an amazing tool for unemployed hippies, bohemians, and free spirits.
Often, it's just a matter of knowing where to look. So in the next few sections of this guide, I am going show you where to find the jobs. We will start with the big sites—the general job websites with every job under the sun—then we will go into the "niche" websites, pages that offer up specialized job listings and help based on a specific interest. After that, we will go into the options for freelance workers and those of you who want to work online or work from home. Finally, some valuable resources and helpful websites that can help anyone to succeed. Enjoy!
Before You Go Job Hunting...
...here are some things you might want to have ready:
- Cover Letter (one general letter that can be revised slightly to fit the job you're applying for)
- Entertainment Résumé (this could be very different from your more "official" résumé)
- Head shot (for certain entertainment professions)
- Portfolio (teachers, musicians, models, artists, designers, etc. need a portfolio)
- Letters of Recommendation
- College Transcripts
- Copies of Degrees, Certifications, & Awards
- List of References (personal & professional)
- Copies of Published Work (for writing/editing jobs)
- Website (for certain professions)
- Email (if your email address is something like PrincessLAZYcakesXXX@aol.com, it may be better to get a more professional sounding email. Gmail is great for professional emails)
- Business Cards (especially if you are a freelancer, an entertainer of some kind, or you have your own or are starting your own business)
- Comp Cards (actors and models)
- Multi-Media Presentation
Get Inspired and Stand Out!
Make sure that your résumé, cover letter, and business cards stand out from the crowd by making them very personalized. Don't always use the guides and templates. Think outside the box.
General Job Listings
- Career Builder
Looking for a new job? Get advice or search over 1.6 million jobs on the largest online job site; set alerts to be first in line and have new jobs emailed to you.
- Job Search Made Simple | Simply Hired
Search millions of job listings across the web. Find local jobs, salary comparisons, and employment trends. New jobs added daily.
- Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com
Find the job that's right for you. Use Monster's resources to create a killer résumé, search for jobs, prepare for interviews, and launch your career.
Job search engines. Find all job listings within one search.
Find job postings and other stuff on Craigslist.
Provides an employment and online job search engine. Post jobs and search for careers by community, industry, or company.
- Short-Term Job Adventures
Explore the exciting world of short-term job adventures, summer jobs, internships, seasonal jobs, volunteering, unique sabbaticals, life-changing experiences, gap year programs, and work abroad.
Summer and seasonal jobs in great places.
- Job Monkey
Find summer jobs, seasonal jobs, or year-round careers in unique industries: cruise ships, national parks, Alaska fishing and tourism, beach and ski resorts, casinos, camps, teaching English, adventure travel and more. In the US and abroad.
Art & Design Jobs
- Krop—Design Jobs: Creative & Tech
Jobs for designers, artists, and developers with instant search tool.
In addition to these great websites, many school districts also have their own websites where they post jobs and allow you to apply online. Always check for listings from your favorite schools.
- Great School Jobs
Teaching jobs, jobs in schools.
- K12 Job Spot
If you're looking for teaching jobs, let K12 Jobspot help you find a teaching job quickly and efficiently!
- Find teaching jobs, school jobs, education jobs at SchoolSpring.com!
Access more than 40 thousand teaching and education jobs for free. Get email alerts and save time!
- UniversityJobs.Com—College and University Jobs in Higher Education Careers!
College and university jobs information including faculty, staff, and administrative positions.
- Teaching jobs and teaching positions in education
- Teachers.Net—Teaching Jobs, Lesson Plans, Chat
Site hosts 4500+ free lesson plans, searchable teacher job listings, 150+ social networking forums, teacher articles, educational resources, teacher blogs, and more.
Fashion, Fitness, Style, & Spa Jobs
- Apparel Search Directory
Largest and fastest growing online guide to apparel, fashion, and clothing industry. Excellent resource for apparel industry professionals. Search for fashion news, jobs, manufacturers, retailers, and much more.
- fashion net | this is the world of fashion
This guide to chic destinations online attracts millions of fashion-savvy people looking for international job listings.
The largest, fashion-only job listing site on the Internet.
Search thousands of fitness, recreation, and leisure jobs for free. Jobs in health clubs, recreation centers, hotels, resorts, spas, private clubs, colleges, and universities.
Find a job in fitness today. Fitness jobs are listed by state and category.
Food Industry Jobs
In addition to these great websites, you can also find employment in the food industry by going to websites of chain restaurants. Most big food chains have online applications now. Do a search for your favorites. You can also start up your own franchise of many of these businesses but if you have the money to do that, you probably don't need this job guide!
- Food Industry Jobs and Careers in Food | Find Jobs Online | CareersinFood.com
Browse thousands of current food industry jobs including food and beverage manufacturing, food safety, trucking, technician jobs, and more.
- Food Jobs/Beverage Jobs/Food Careers/Beverage Careers/Food Employment/Beverage Employment
Food Jobs? Beverage Jobs? Either one can be found here. We strive to be the only food and beverage career website you will need.
- Foodservice.com: A Community and Social Network for Restaurant Business and Foodservice
An online community and social network for restaurant and food service professionals. Site contains products, an industry job board, market reports, industry discussion, and food safety information.
International careers and employment. Overseas jobs and careers, work abroad, jobs for expatriates, and international employment.
- Go Army Homepage | GoArmy.com
In the active army and army reserve, you can gain career skills, pay, benefits, and bonuses. Choose from over 150 different jobs.
- Peace Corps - Make the Most of Your World
- Cruise Ship Jobs
Cruise jobs information and registration forms. Maritime jobs and travel jobs guide, how to get jobs on cruise ships, travel jobs.
Media, Communications, Music, & Entertainment Jobs
- Careers In Music | Music Schools & Colleges
Music career information and a complete list of music schools. Also features music business contacts.
- Public Relations Resources and PR Tools for Communications Professionals: Public Relations Society
Join the nation's largest community of public relations and communications professionals. Build your professional network, enhance your professional communication skills, and accelerate your career with the PRSA.
- JournalismJobs.com—The Job Board for Media Professionals
- TV and Radio Jobs
- Variety Media Careers
Careers in media.
Entertainment jobs and internships for professionals, technical, and production personnel seeking employment in film, TV, cable, or radio.
- Talent Zoo | Advertising, Marketing, Digital, and Media Jobs
Find jobs in advertising, marketing, creative, new media, and digital industries. Read industry-related articles and blogs, post jobs, and search résumés and portfolios.
- Music Industry Jobs, Careers, and Internships
The Music Industry Jobsite. From retail and public relations to production and musician opportunities, if it's music-related and a job, it's here!
- Across the Nation
Nationwide Event Staffing Since 2002. Promotional Models, Spokespeople, Event Staff, and More! Join us!
Get paid to review new music on Slicethepie.
- Trade Show Model Jobs – Promotional Modeling Careers – Event Staffing
Have you ever wanted to be a promotional model? The ones that work as trade shows and expos, liquor promotions, bar promotions, and event promotions? This may be the best option for you!
- Fusion Event Staffing | 25 years of service excellence
Serving Agency Client Partners Nationwide by presenting experience, reliable & trustworthy brand ambassadors to exceed your expectations and goals.
- The I GROUP Model & Talent Management
The leading agency representing men, women, boys, and girls who are actors and models. We are a full-service agency providing talent for auto shows, conventions, corporate events, entertainment, and fashion events.
- Volunteer, work, intern, organize, hire, and connect. Change the world—idealist.org
The world's best place to find volunteer opportunities, nonprofit jobs, internships, and organizations working to change the world since 1995.
- Community Career Center—Welcome to Nonprofit Jobs.org, the right place for career opportunities!
An online gathering place where not-for-profit employers and management personnel can meet.
Nonconventional or Non-Job Jobs
I guess these are kind of like freelancing...
Some hippies, bohemians, and free spirits can't seem to hold a job, no matter what. For those of you who fall into that category, or those who just need a little extra money in addition to your other jobs, here are some things you can do to make money. (I want to note that I do not do all of these, nor am I saying you should... I'm just saying you could if you wanted to. Most of these jobs are totally great! I'm trusting you to use your judgment here.)
- Donate plasma
- Donate sperm or eggs
- Be a surrogate mom
- Sell your hair
- Make porn
- Grow or sell marijuana
- Hold a sign up on a street corner and beg for money
- Collect cans and bottles, metal, and any other "trash" you can get money for
- Give music or art lessons or be a tutor.
- Write ebooks
- Shovel snow, mow lawns, babysit, and clean houses
- Dumpster dive and have monthly yard sales
- Ask for donations through your blog
- Marry someone who is rich
- Become a rich person's muse
- Pick pockets
- Make videos for YouTube
- Invest other peoples' money for them (whether they know it or not)
- Model for art classes
- Be a Party Girl
- Clean houses in your underwear
- Be a dog walker or runner
- Become a life coach or doula or some other kind of healing, spiritual professional
- Be an off-the-grid organic farmer
- Just embrace being a professional bum
Attention Freelancers, Odd-Job Queens, Work-at-Home Wonders, & Jacks of All Trades!
There are lots of opportunities for you online! Seriously. If you enjoy writing, marketing, social media, sales, education, entertainment, media, web design, computers, or programming, there's no stopping you!
Freelance/Odd Job/Work from Home/Part Time/Telecommute Job Resources—There Are a Lot of Online Options and Resources Here, Hippies!
From writing online to affiliate marketing to selling products to taking phone calls, the list goes on and on when it comes to working from home or online or as a freelancer.
You know what I am? I call myself a Freelance Creative Spirit. Why? Because I don't have one job, I have many, and they all reflect the amazing things that I love in life: teaching, writing, music, acting, modeling, art, healing, and helping others.
In the world we live in today, this is possible for me!
This is truly possible for you too. Don't limit yourself to being confined to one label or title. Be who you are and make more than a living: make a life!
- Freelancer—Freelance Jobs
Hire freelance programmers, web developers, designers, writers, data entry, and more at a fraction of the cost, or add your name to the list!
- Work From Home—Jobs, Recipes & Articles For Moms—WAHM.com
This is the number one resource for work-at-home moms. Find work, information on how to start a home business, and join the WAHM forum to share your stories on everything from childcare and parenting to working at home.
- Welcome to AVON—the official site of Avon Products, Inc.
Learn more about Avon's earning opportunity as the world's leading direct seller of beauty and related products.
- Party Lite Candles
Start a business selling candles and having candle parties.
- Mary Kay
Get started selling Mary Kay cosmetics.
- Start Your Own Business and Plan Kitchen Shows at PamperedChef.Com
Here, you can start your own business planning cooking parties while getting product discounts!
- Lia Sophia
Determine your own earnings selling Lia Sophia jewelry.
- Etsy: Your Place to Buy and Sell All Things Handmade and Vintage
Buy and sell handmade or vintage items, art, and supplies on Etsy, the world's most vibrant handmade marketplace. Share stories through millions of items from around the world. Have your own store!
- Premium Retail Services
Merchandising, assisted sales, training, and field marketing.
A place for people to share things they are willing to do for $5: Funny and bizarre, social marketing, graphics, advertising, technology, business, programming, and more!
- Universal Life Church—Become Ordained
Become a legally ordained minister at this official Universal Life Church site. Perform weddings, funerals, and more. Free newsletter, minister directory. All faiths and spiritual traditions welcome.
- Where to Find Money on the Street and at Home
Be more mindful of your surroundings and you could acquire a lot of peoples' forgotten, unwanted, misplaced, lost, or ill-used coins and make some good money.
- List My Five
A platform where people can write for money by creating, publishing, and sharing their own top five lists online: a quick way to earn money.
Write Hubs and make money online.
Helpful Resources for Hippies, Bohemians, & Free Spirits out to Make a Living
Here is a plethora of resources for all you hippies, bohemians, and free spirits who are trying to build better lives for yourselves and your families.
- Linkedin | World's Largest Professional Network
150 million+ members. Manage your professional identity, build and engage with your professional network, and access knowledge, insights, and opportunities.
- USA.gov: The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal
USA.gov: Home page of the U.S. Government's Official Web Portal for all government transactions, services, and information. It provides direct online access to federal, state, local, and tribal governments.
- Résumé Help: Free Résumé Writing Examples, Tips, & Service Reviews
Need help writing your résumé? Site offers over 100+ free examples and templates, format tips and tricks, and résumé writing articles from professional writing partners.
- How to Dumpster Dive: 15 Steps
How to dumpster dive. Quick quiz: Is dumpster diving a) a sport, b) a popular hobby for the frugal, or c) an environmentally and socially conscious way of life?
Don't forget to check back for updates. Peace & love to you all!
What brought you by today?
Why did you come to The Hippie, Bohemian, Free-Spirit Guide to Getting a Job today?
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.