What to Write as Your Career Focus
Your First Impression
The "career focus" is typically the first section found in professional resumes. As a result, what you write there can have a huge impact on the first impression you give to prospective employers.
Typically, this section contains an objective statement that is 1 to 3 sentences long and is very clearly and concisely stated.
It is imperative that you take the time to decide what information is important to include in this section and to word it as clearly and concisely as possible.
Here, you will find dozens of well-written examples of Objective Statement to get your juices flowing.
What Is an Objective Statement?
An objective statement is a clear and concisely worded statement typically only 1 to 3 sentences long. It is usually contained in the first section of a professional resume under its own heading. Possible headings include:
- Career Focus
- Professional Objectives
- Resume Capsule
- Career Goals
What Information Should My Objective Statement Include?
The information your objective statement should include will vary depending on your profession, but it should serve to provide one or more of the following pieces of information:
- Your general career path
- Your profession
- The position you are applying for
- Your career goals
- Your main qualifications
- Area of expertise or specialty.
- What sets you apart from other candidates
To determine what information you should include in your objective statement, ask yourself what the employer must absolutely know about you to make their decision of whether or not to give you an interview an obvious one. Also consider what the employer wants and needs to know to make their decision easier.
Examples of Effective Objective Statements
- [Job title] with [number] years experience. Specialty areas include [skills, studies].
- Creative special education teacher with an emphasis on artistic therapies.
- Detail-Oriented Librarian with 3+ years academic library experience. Demonstrated proficiency with ContentDM, SirsiDynix and automated library systems and electronic resources.
- Dynamic [job title] with demonstrated capabilities in [areas of expertise]. Committed to [educational philosophy].
- Enthusiastic kindergarten teacher who has earned trust and respect from students, colleagues, and administration for 12+ years.
- Responsible [job title] with excellent communication skills demonstrated by [number] years of teaching experience.
- Special Education Teacher - Counselor - Community Organizer Talented [job title] with expertise in [area].
- Dynamic Physical Science Teacher with strong classroom management skills demonstrated through 4+ years classroom experience.
- Caring teaching professional with over 3 years experience as a 6th grade English teacher.
- Experienced 8th-grade teacher with excellent parent-teacher communication record and student motivation techniques.
- Motivated, enthusiastic educator with 5+ years experience fostering a cohesive student learning atmosphere.
- Resourceful chemistry teacher with over 5 years experience teaching basic chemistry principles and introducing students to laboratory research techniques.
- Highly enthusiastic AP US History teacher specialized in managing students and maximizing learning opportunities in diverse classroom settings.
- Skilled High School Teacher with proven ability to improve student learning through tailored reading, writing and study skills.AP Biology teacher with 8+ years experience introducing complex concepts to students.
- Dynamic English teacher with 9+ years experience teaching 7th grade in the Capistrano Unified School District.Organized teaching professional with more than 20 years of instructing expertise.
- Great enthusiasm for teaching complex science concepts to students.
- Enthusiastic physical education teaching professional with a talent for encouraging active participation and creating a fun environment.
- Talented teaching professional committed to instilling an appreciation for English Literature to all students.
- AP Modern Art teaching professional with dedication to continuous professional development, communication with parents, accurate student assessment and providing relevant course materials for effective learning.
- Enthusiastic teaching professional with over 15 years of creative instructing experience at the elementary school level.
- Versatile child advocate professional with over 9 years experience working in a student-focused learning environment helping special-needs students improve their literacy.
- Motivated teaching professional with over 18 years experience addressing student needs and ensuring proper student development.
- Dedicated Elementary School Teacher with over seven years experience developing creative lesson plans and implementing instructional best practices.
- Caring Elementary School Teacher skilled in working with diverse student classrooms.
- Highly energetic Elementary School Teacher with over six years experience devising creating lesson plans and integrating modern instructional techniques.
- Enthusiastic Elementary School Teacher with over ten years experience introducing a broad range of subjects and developing student's literacy skills.
- Skilled Elementary School Teacher with experience identifying children's individual and collective learning needs.
- Talented second-grade teacher skilled in fostering academic skills and social attitudes in diverse elementary school students.
- Resourceful third-grade teacher with over 12 years experience developing student's numeracy skills and scientific knowledge.
- Driven first grade teaching professional with extensive experience gaining the trust and confidence of students and guardians.
- Results-oriented fifth grade teaching professional talented in accurately assessing, recording and communicating student progress with corresponding students and guardians.
- Highly experienced Elementary School Teaching Professional with a strong dedication to the total development of children.
- Skilled special needs elementary school teacher with the ability to work with children of various intellectual, behavioral and physical challenges.
- Caring and qualified Elementary School teacher with over 14 years of experience teaching meaningful curriculum plans and developing young minds.
- Energetic Elementary School Teacher with a decade of classroom experience involved in all levels and subjects of student development.
- California state credentialed Elementary School Teacher committed to educational development in children.
- Dedicated Elementary School Teaching Professional with a proven background in improving student performance.
Some General Tips and Advice on Writing Your Career Focus
This section of your resume or C.V. should be kept short and very concise, but it also needs to pack a lot of punch. It may be helpful to give some thought as to what you think is most important to convey in this section. For some, it may be important to identify the position for which they are applying, for others it may be their career goals, while for others it may serve to highlight their years of experience since that is what will set them apart from other candidates. While more than one piece of information can be included in this section of your resume, it should be kept brief.
Think about what is important for you to get across to prospective employers in terms of what you have to offer, as well as what prospective employers both need to hear and are going to be impressed to hear. For example, some companies may need prospective hires to specify the position of interest in this section to make it easier to get the resume to the right person, but it will also be important to highlight the certification you recently obtained so that when it gets to the right person they know right away this is someone they need to take a closer look at.
Ultimately, aim for 1 to 3 sentences.
Power Words - Make Sure Your Objective Statement Packs a Punch
Don't underestimate the power of a well-written objective statement; those 1 to 3 little sentences carry a lot of weight! They could compel a prospective employer to read on rather than tossing your resume aside. You've got but a second to convince your future boss to give you a call.
Here are a list of great power words that you may find helpful in getting across what you are trying to convey:
- Highly motivated
- Highly Qualified
- Performance driven
Think you've written a killer objective statement but want to be sure? Write your objective statement here and get feedback on what is working and what is not. Help other job seekers perfect their statements by providing feedback, suggestions, and encouragement to others.