50 Things to Do During a "No Spend" Week
Are There Actually Things To Do Without Spending Money?
There are many reasons why we try and save money. No matter if your reason is a new home, a wedding, a family vacation or just to have a little cushion its all attainable.
I am sure by now you have heard of the No Spend Challenge. Basically you choose an amount of time a day, week,or month that you spend NO extra money. You budget out the exact amount you need for bills, food and gas the rest you put into savings.
I decided to give it a go but before I did I needed to do a little preparing which you can read in my article "How to Prepare for a No Spend Week."
One of the things I wanted to do was create a list of all the free things we could do in our area (weather permitting) or in our home to make this a little more bearable.
Get Others Input
The first list I created on my own and was being slightly selfish. I was listing things I wanted to get accomplished. For Instance
- Organize the Closet
- Catch up on Netflix
- Cleaning out Cupboards
These are just a few I had listed. My children on the other hand balked at the list so I made them create one of their own. They listed 3-5 things they thought we could do that would be fun but free.
I combined the lists so we all had activities we wanted to do. I broke them down into activities outside of the house (weather permitting )and activities to do inside of the house.
25 Free Activities to Do Outside Of The House During a No Spend Week
- Explore a local Park.
- Watch a high school game.
- Go swimming visit local beach.
- Visit a local Museum or Farm.
- Pick up a scrimmage game with friends or family.
- Visit Family.
- Check out festivals in your area(depends on season all are usually free to attend).
- Paint a motivational message on rocks and leave around town for others to find.
- Family Car wash.
- Have a yard sale.
- Go Hiking.
- Blow bubbles, play red rover or Hide and Seek.
- Draw sidewalk art/ Build a snow fort (depending on the season)
- See a free Movie Playing in the park or at Library.
- Explore your city as a tourist.
- Try to find the constellations on a starry night
- Play photographer .. Take photos your area to tell a story
- Have a bonfire.
- Pack a picnic and have lunch in the park.
- Check out local Farmers Markets (free samples).
- Catch fireflies, jump in leaves or have a snowball fight (depending on the season)
- Go for a bike ride.
- Visit the SPCA or local animal shelter.
- Visit your local Library.
25 Free Things To Do Without Leaving Home
- Organize Your Closets.
- Have A Movie Night.
- Rearrange Rooms.
- Family Board Game Night.
- Binge Watch Netflix.
- Finally Read That Book.
- Play Charades.
- Research Where To Take Your Next Vacation.
- Earn a Little Extra By Selling Unwanted Items On Ebay.
- Build a Blanket Fort.
- Work on Creating a Family Budget.
- Deep Clean Everything.
- Start a new Exercise Routine.
- Reminisce by Looking Through old Photos.
- Invite Friends/Family Over For a Potluck Lunch.
- Watch a Podcast.
- Try a New Recipe(only if you have items on hand)
- Have a Living Room Picnic.
- Trivia Night (Family Edition Make up Your Own Questions)
- Learn a New Odd Skill (Knot Tying, Juggle, etc..)
- Spa Day (Home Manicure, Foot Rubs etc..)
- Start a Journal.
- Go on Scavenger Hunt For Loose Change (Finders Keepers)
- Research a Topic That Interests You.
- Finally Read or Try all Those Pins you've Been Pinning.
These lists are of course just a suggestion to get you started .
Once you start looking you will be amazed at all the free things you will find to do. Participating in this week of free activities helped us see our area in a whole different way and get a few things done inside the house.
I would love to hear any ideas on other free activities that you have come up with, we are planning a no spend week once a month and all suggestions help!
Have fun and enjoy your time with the family or just by yourself!