Are Amazon Warehouse Deals Any Good?
What Are Amazon Warehouse Deals?
Amazon Warehouse Deals are goods sold at a reduced price on the main Amazon website. The Amazon Warehouse is a shipping division of Amazon, not an independent marketplace seller, and these deals have their own category on the drop-down search menu of departments.
Some Amazon Returns Offer Big Savings
Amazon, a global online store, offers a huge selection of goods: books, beauty supplies, groceries, garden tools, vehicles, video games, and almost anything else you can imagine.
Their success is due not only to competitive pricing, but also to their no-quibble 30-day return policy. They have large fulfilment centers (or warehouses) that ship goods, and check and resell the returned items.
It's common for online retailers to experience a high rate of returns. Making a selection by viewing a photo on a phone is not like actually handling the goods before making a purchase. As a result, many customers change their minds and return items for a refund.
Some of those goods can be restocked into the main inventory if the original packaging is undamaged. However, many items have to be resold as "used" items if a customer has opened the wrapper to examine the goods. These are the Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Why Are Amazon Warehouse Prices So Low?
Here are some reasons a product is listed on Amazon Warehouse:
- Damaged outer packaging (either it was banged up in transit or the package has been opened)
- Lost instruction manuals
- Small scratches or other insignificant damage
- At or near its expiration date
Amazon gives a detailed description of the reason each item is being sold as a warehouse deal, so you will be fully aware of its condition before you buy. Worst-case scenario: if you're not happy with the item, you can return it under Amazon’s 30-day return policy.
What is the Amazon Warehouse? Reviews and Tips from a Real Consumer
How to Find Amazon Warehouse Bargains
- Go to Amazon.com.
- In the search bar across the top of the page, type "Amazon Warehouse."
- Use keywords to search for the brand or product you're interested in.
- Be sure to carefully read the description of the condition of your chosen item.
- Order your bargain if the price is right.
- Make sure you inspect it on arrival and return it immediately if you're not satisfied.
Use an App to Find Warehouse Deals
Can I Return an Item I Bought From the Amazon Warehouse?
Yes, you can. You can return an item for free without paying for shipping if you do so within 30 days from the date of delivery, for a full refund, if you have bought it from Amazon Warehouse. N.B. This no-quibble guarantee does not apply to goods bought from Amazon marketplace sellers.
My Review of Amazon Warehouse Deals
These online bargains get the thumbs-up from me. Here is my experience:
- I recently moved house and bought all my new curtains at Warehouse Deals. The packaging was slightly damaged but the fabric was unmarked. They cost me one-third less than the usual retail price.
- I bought a kitchen table and chairs which were described as having a slight mark on the inside of one of the legs. I had to search really hard to find a tiny scratch. It was less than half-an-inch long. Who looks under the table when having a meal, anyway? This tiny bit of damage meant the set was marked down to half-price.
- I’ve also had a negative experience. I bought some short-dated biscuits, but when they arrived, the expiry date was actually five weeks previous. However, Amazon’s great customer service meant that once I emailed them a photo of the expiration date, my money was refunded immediately.
Do Amazon Warehouse Deals Come With a Manufacturer's Warranty?
No, used products generally don't come with a manufacturer's warranty. However all Amazon Warehouse Deals are backed by Amazon’s standard 30-day return policy. This is extended to a 90-day return policy for Renewed items.
How Do I Know If an Item Is in Good Condition on Amazon Warehouse?
Amazon rates its warehouse deals into one of five quality categories:
- Used - Like New
- Used - Very Good
- Used - Good
- Used – Acceptable
Be aware that these descriptors are only as good as the human who inspected them. What they consider “good” I may find to be only “acceptable.” On the other hand, their “very good” may be “like new” in my eyes.
I find it is more useful to read and take note of the accompanying detailed description of the item’s defects. Remember, you get what you pay for. Unless you want to be regularly disappointed, I recommend you only buy warehouse deals that are marked as “Used - Very Good” or “Used - Like New” and always read the description.
Difference Between Buying Used and Buying a Warehouse Deal
- Always make sure the item you want to buy is listed the item under “Amazon Warehouse Deals.”
- Don't confuse these deals with other used items sold by marketplace sellers.
- Marketplace sellers use their own definitions of an item’s condition, and they also don't offer a no-quibble return guarantee of satisfaction.
How to Time Your Purchase to Get the Best Deal on Amazon
Price Changes Depending on Demand
Prices of deals can fluctuate. I have no inside knowledge of how or why the prices change, but it seems to be tied to the time of day as well as day of the week. Amazon monitors when most sales occur and alters its prices to encourage you to spend. For example, I find that if I log onto the site in the middle of the night, prices are lower than if I view them the following morning. If I'm patient, the price has usually dropped down again by the evening.
Black Friday Bargains in Amazon Warehouse
Every year in the Amazon Black Friday Sale, you can get 20% off Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Extra 20% Discount Sale for Prime Members
About twice a year, Amazon offers an extra 20% discount to Prime members. This sale applies to all goods sold directly by Amazon including their Warehouse Deals. So, if you time it right, a good buy becomes an exceptional buy.
Is It Smart to Buy Amazon Warehouse Deals?
The screenshots of the Samsung phone below demonstrate the kind of savings that can be achieved by shopping Amazon Warehouse. The Samsung S8 smartphone is shown as retailing for US $724 if bought new, but priced at just $538.81 if bought via a Warehouse Deal.
In this particular example, no damage is listed and it comes in its original packaging. This is a bargain and represents a considerable saving on the normal retail price. The usual Amazon return policy applies, which means you have 30 days to examine the item and return it if it's unsatisfactory. In addition, if you are an Amazon Prime member, all their Warehouse Deals are eligible for next-day delivery just like any other Amazon item.
Are Smartphones Included in the Amazon 30-Day Return Policy?
Yes, any item offered by Amazon as a Warehouse Deal is covered by their 30-day return policy. This gives you time to examine your purchase properly and make sure the damage (if any) is no more than was described on the product page.
You have the choice to either keep the item or return it in the same condition if you are not happy with it.
The date by which you need to return it will be marked on the email you received confirming your order. If you deleted the email, you can check the order details in your online Amazon account.
Smartphones are included in this generous return policy. However, you should check that all the phone's functions work properly as soon as you can. You will not be able to get a refund if you find the phone is faulty after 30 days has passed.
Storm Smith Bought a Used Nintendo Switch Lite from Amazon Warehouse Deals
What Does "Renewed", "Used - Like New," "Very Good," and "Acceptable" Mean on Amazon?
These definitions are from the Amazon website:
Renewed: An item that has been inspected and tested by Amazon or an Amazon-qualified performance-managed supplier, to work and look like new. The item has minimal to no signs of wear, or visible cosmetic damages when held from 12 inches away. Product may come repackaged. All accessories will be present, though some may be generic brands. The product comes with the Amazon Renewed Guarantee giving you a replacement or refund within 90 days of purchase if the product does not work as expected.
Used - Like New: An item in perfect working condition. Original protective wrapping may be missing. The original packaging may have minor damage, or item may come repackaged. Package damage is clearly defined for each item. All accessories are present.
- Used - Very good: The item has seen limited use and remains in good working condition. Item may show some limited signs of wear with small scratches or cosmetic blemishes. Item may arrive with damaged packaging or be repackaged and could be missing some accessories. Missing accessories are clearly defined for each item.
- Used - Good: The item shows wear, but remains in good working condition. It may be marked, have identifying markings on it, or cosmetic damage. Item may arrive with damaged packaging or be repackaged. Item may be missing some parts, accessories, instruction manuals, or assembly tools.
- Used - Acceptable: The item is fairly worn but continues to function properly. Significant signs of cosmetic damage can include scratches, dents, and worn corners. Item may arrive with damaged packaging or be repackaged. Item may be missing multiple parts, accessories, instruction manuals, or assembly tools.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.