Entrepreneur Beth knows the highs and lows of being one's own boss.
What Are Amazon Warehouse Deals?
Amazon Warehouse Deals are goods sold at a reduced price on the main Amazon website. The Amazon Warehouse is a shipping division of Amazon, not an independent marketplace seller. I use the Shopper Deals for Amazon app to find these deals; it takes all the legwork out of finding the bargains. Amazon gives a detailed description of the reason each item is being sold as a warehouse deal, so you should be fully aware of its condition before you buy. Worst-case scenario: if you're not happy with the item, you can return it under Amazon’s 30-day return policy. Some of the reasons a product is listed by the Amazon Warehouse are; damaged outer packaging (may have been banged in transit or the package been opened), lost instruction manuals, small scratches or other insignificant damage, food at or near its expiration date.
Why Are Amazon Warehouse Prices So Low?
Amazon offers a huge selection of goods to buy online with competitive prices, and a no-quibble 30-day return policy. They have large fulfilment centers (or warehouses) that ship goods, and check and resell the returned items. Online retailers have a high rate of returns because customers can only view a photo of the goods before buying. It's not the same as actually handling the items before making a purchase. As a result, many customers change their minds and return their purchase. Some of these goods can be restocked into the main inventory if the original packaging is undamaged. However, many items have to be resold as "used" if the wrapper has been opened to examine them. These are the Amazon Warehouse Deals, and some offer big savings compared to buying new.
Can I Return an Item I Bought From the Amazon Warehouse?
Yes, you can. You can return an item for free without paying for shipping if you do so within 30 days from the date of delivery, for a full refund, if you have bought it from Amazon Warehouse. N.B. This no-quibble guarantee does not apply to goods bought from Amazon marketplace sellers.
My Review of Amazon Warehouse Deals
These online bargains get the thumbs-up from me. Here is my experience:
- I recently moved house and bought all my new curtains at Warehouse Deals. The packaging was slightly damaged but the fabric was unmarked. They cost me one-third less than the usual retail price.
- I bought a kitchen table and chairs which were described as having a slight mark on the inside of one of the legs. I had to search really hard to find a tiny scratch. It was less than half-an-inch long. Who looks under the table when having a meal, anyway? This tiny bit of damage meant the set was marked down to half-price.
- I’ve also had a negative experience. I bought some short-dated biscuits, but when they arrived, the expiry date was actually five weeks previous. However, Amazon’s great customer service meant that once I emailed them a photo of the expiration date, my money was refunded immediately.
Do Amazon Warehouse Deals Come With a Manufacturer's Warranty?
No, used products generally don't come with a manufacturer's warranty. However all Amazon Warehouse Deals are backed by Amazon’s standard 30-day return policy. This is extended to a 90-day return policy for Renewed items.
How Do I Know If an Item Is in Good Condition on Amazon Warehouse?
Amazon rates its warehouse deals into one of five quality categories:
- Used - Like New
- Used - Very Good
- Used - Good
- Used – Acceptable
Be aware that these descriptors are only as good as the human who inspected them. What they consider “good” I may find to be only “acceptable.” On the other hand, their “very good” may be “like new” in my eyes. I find it is more useful to read and take note of the accompanying detailed description of the item’s defects. Remember, you get what you pay for. Unless you want to be regularly disappointed, I recommend you only buy warehouse deals that are marked as “Used - Very Good” or “Used - Like New” and always read the description.
Difference Between Buying Used and Buying a Warehouse Deal
- Always make sure the item you want to buy is listed the item under “Amazon Warehouse Deals.”
- Don't confuse these deals with other used and secondhand items sold by marketplace sellers.
- Marketplace sellers use their own definitions of an item’s condition, and they also don't offer a no-quibble return guarantee of satisfaction.
How to Time Your Purchase to Get the Best Deal on Amazon
Price Changes Depending on Demand
Prices of deals can fluctuate. I have no inside knowledge of how or why the prices change, but it seems to be tied to the time of day as well as day of the week. Amazon monitors when most sales occur and alters its prices to encourage you to spend. For example, I find that if I log onto the site in the middle of the night, prices are lower than if I view them the following morning. If I'm patient, the price has usually dropped down again by the evening.
Black Friday Bargains in Amazon Warehouse
Every year in the Amazon Black Friday Sale, you can get 20% off Amazon Warehouse Deals. In addition, if you are a Prime Member you get other discount sale opportunities. About twice a year, Amazon offers an extra 20% discount to Prime members on all goods sold directly by Amazon including their Warehouse Deals. So, if you time it right, a good buy becomes an exceptional buy.
Are Smartphones Included in the Amazon 30-Day Return Policy?
Yes, any item offered by Amazon as a Warehouse Deal is covered by their 30-day return policy. This gives you time to examine your purchase properly and make sure the damage (if any) is no more than was described on the product page. You have the choice to either keep the item or return it in the same condition if you are not happy with it. The date by which you need to return it will be marked on the email you received confirming your order. If you deleted the email, you can check the order details in your online Amazon account. Smartphones are included in this generous return policy. However, you should check that all the phone's functions work properly as soon as you can. You won't be able to get a refund if you find the phone is faulty after 30 days has passed.
Is It Smart to Buy Amazon Warehouse Deals?
Can You Trust Amazon Warehouse Deals?
It depends on what you mean by trust. Each item has been categorized (see below) so that before you buy you should have been made aware of any defects. But mistakes are sometimes made and an item does not always meet with your expectations. If that happens to you, just return it under the 30-day returns policy, and tick the box performance or quality not adequate. I have found Amazon always refunds your money in full in these circumstances.
What Does "Renewed", "Used - Like New," "Very Good," and "Acceptable" Mean on Amazon?
These definitions are from the Amazon website:
- Renewed: An item that has been inspected and tested by Amazon or an Amazon-qualified performance-managed supplier, to work and look like new. The item has minimal to no signs of wear, or visible cosmetic damages when held from 12 inches away. Product may come repackaged. All accessories will be present, though some may be generic brands. The product comes with the Amazon Renewed Guarantee giving you a replacement or refund within 90 days of purchase if the product does not work as expected.
- Used - Like New: An item in perfect working condition. Original protective wrapping may be missing. The original packaging may have minor damage, or item may come repackaged. Package damage is clearly defined for each item. All accessories are present.
- Used - Very good: The item has seen limited use and remains in good working condition. Item may show some limited signs of wear with small scratches or cosmetic blemishes. Item may arrive with damaged packaging or be repackaged and could be missing some accessories. Missing accessories are clearly defined for each item.
- Used - Good: The item shows wear, but remains in good working condition. It may be marked, have identifying markings on it, or cosmetic damage. Item may arrive with damaged packaging or be repackaged. Item may be missing some parts, accessories, instruction manuals, or assembly tools.
- Used - Acceptable: The item is fairly worn but continues to function properly. Significant signs of cosmetic damage can include scratches, dents, and worn corners. Item may arrive with damaged packaging or be repackaged. Item may be missing multiple parts, accessories, instruction manuals, or assembly tools.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.