Are Amazon Warehouse Deals Any Good?
What Are Amazon Warehouse Deals?
Amazon, the major global online store, offers a huge selection of goods: books, beauty supplies, groceries, garden tools, vehicles, video games, and almost anything else you can imagine. Their success is due not only to competitive pricing but also to their no-quibble 30-day return policy. They have large fulfilment centers (or warehouses) that ship goods, and check and resell the returned items.
It's common for online retailers to experience a high rate of returns. Making a selection by viewing a photo on a phone is not at all like actually handling the goods before making a purchase. As a result, many customers change their minds and return items for a refund. Some of those goods can be restocked into the main inventory if the original packaging is undamaged. However, many items have to be resold as "used" items if a customer has opened the wrapper to examine the goods.
How to Find Deals and Bargains on Amazon
- Go to Amazon.com.
- On the left side of the site's search bar across the top of the page, you'll find a little "All" dropdown: Click it, scroll down, and select "Amazon Warehouse."
- Use keywords to search for the brand or product you're interested in.
- If you have Prime, you might want to narrow your search by selecting "Prime delivery eligible." (By the way, all purchases on Amazon Warehouse are also Prime-eligible.)
- Be sure to carefully read the description of the condition of your chosen item.
- Order your bargain if the price is right.
- Make sure you inspect it on arrival and return it immediately if you're not satisfied.
Use an App to Find Warehouse Deals
Some Amazon Returns Offer Big Savings
Amazon Warehouse Deals are goods sold at a reduced price on the main Amazon website. The Amazon Warehouse is a shipping division of Amazon, not an independent marketplace seller, and these deals have their own category on the drop-down search menu of departments.
Why Are Amazon Warehouse Prices So Low?
Here are some reasons a product is listed on Amazon Warehouse:
- Damaged outer packaging (either it was banged up in transit or the package has been opened)
- Lost instruction manuals
- Small scratches or other insignificant damage
- At or near its expiration date
Amazon gives a detailed description of the reason each item is being sold as a warehouse deal so you will be fully aware of its condition before you buy. Worst-case scenario: if you are not happy with the item, you can return it under Amazon’s 30-day return policy.
Can I Return an Item I Bought From the Amazon Warehouse?
Yes, you can. You can return an item for free without paying for shipping if you do so within 30 days from the date of delivery, for a full refund, if you have bought it from Amazon Warehouse. N.B. This no-quibble guarantee does not apply to goods bought from Amazon marketplace sellers.
My Review of Amazon Warehouse Deals
These online bargains get the thumbs-up from me. Here is my experience:
- I recently moved houses and bought all my new curtains at Warehouse Deals. The packaging was slightly damaged but the fabric was unmarked. They cost me one-third less than the usual retail price.
- I bought a kitchen table and chairs which were described as having a slight mark on the inside of one of the legs. I had to search really hard to find a tiny scratch. It was less than half-an-inch long. Who looks under the table when having a meal, anyway? This tiny bit of damage meant the set was marked down to half-price.
- I’ve had a negative experience, too. I bought some short-dated biscuits, but when they arrived, the expiry date was actually five weeks previous. Still, Amazon’s excellent customer service meant that once I emailed them a photo of the expiration date, all my money was refunded immediately.
A Customer's Review of Amazon Warehouse Deals
How Do I Know If an Item Is in Good Condition on Amazon Warehouse?
Amazon rates its warehouse deals into one of four quality categories:
- Used - Like New
- Used - Very Good
- Used - Good
- Used – Acceptable
These descriptors are only as good as the human who inspected them. What they consider “good” I may find to be only “acceptable.” On the other hand, their “very good” may be “like new” in my eyes.
I find it is more useful to read and take note of the accompanying detailed description of the item’s defects. Remember, you get what you pay for. Unless you want to be regularly disappointed, I recommend you only buy warehouse deals that are marked as “Used - Very Good” or “Used - Like New” and always read the description.
What Does "Used - Like New," "Very Good," and "Acceptable" Mean on Amazon?
These definitions are from the Amazon website:
- Used - Like New: A "like new" item sold on Amazon Warehouse is in perfect condition—however, due to the condition of the packaging, it does not meet Amazon's standards of a "new" product. Returned items with minor packaging defects are classified as "Used-Like New."
- Very Good: If an item has cosmetic damage or blemishes, shows slight signs of use, has minor accessories missing, or packaging that has been replaced to better protect the item, they call the condition "very good."
- Good: If an item has large cosmetic damage or blemishes and/or missing accessories, they call its condition "good." It's possible the packaging has been replaced to better protect the item.
- Acceptable: If an item shows signs of wear including scratches, dents, or other aesthetic problems, they call its condition "acceptable." It's possible the packaging has been replaced to better protect the item, manuals may be missing, and the item may contain third-party attachments.
What Is the Difference Between Buying Used and Buying a Warehouse Deal on Amazon?
Always make sure the seller has listed the item under “Amazon Warehouse Deals.” Don't confuse these deals with other used items sold by marketplace sellers. Those other sellers can use their own definitions of an item’s condition and they also don't have to offer a no-quibble return guarantee of satisfaction.
How to Get an Even Bigger Deal on Amazon Warehouse
Every year in the Amazon Black Friday Sale, you can get 20% off Amazon Warehouse Deals.
How to Time Your Purchase to Get the Best Deal on Amazon
One thing to be aware of is that prices of deals can fluctuate. I have no inside knowledge of how or why the prices change, but it seems to be tied to the time of day as well as day of the week. Amazon monitors when most sales occur and alters its prices to encourage you to spend. For example, I find that if I log onto the site in the middle of the night, prices on deals are lower than if I view them the following morning. If I'm patient, the price has usually dropped down again by the evening.
Extra 20% Discount Sale for Prime Members
About twice a year, Amazon offers an extra 20% discount to Prime members. This sale applies to all goods sold directly by Amazon including their Warehouse Deals. So, if you time it right, a good buy becomes an exceptional buy.
Is It Smart to Shop on Amazon Warehouse?
The screenshots of the Samsung phone below demonstrate the kind of savings that can be achieved by shopping Amazon Warehouse. The Samsung S8 smartphone is shown as retailing for US $724 if bought new, but priced at just $538.81 if bought via a Warehouse Deal.
In this particular example, no damage is listed and it comes in its original packaging. This is a bargain and represents a considerable saving on the normal retail price. The usual Amazon return policy applies, which means you have 30 days to examine the item and return it if it's unsatisfactory. In addition, if you are an Amazon Prime member, all their Warehouse Deals are eligible for next-day delivery just like any other Amazon item.
Are Smartphones Included in the Amazon 30-Day Return Policy?
Yes, any item offered by Amazon as a Warehouse Deal is covered by their 30-day return policy. This gives you time to examine your purchase properly and make sure the damage (if any) is no more than was described on the product page.
You have the choice to either keep the item or return it in the same condition if you are not happy with it.
The date by which you need to return it will be marked on the email you received confirming your order. If you deleted the email, you can check the order details in your online Amazon account.
Smartphones are included in this generous return policy. However, you should check that all the phone's functions work properly as soon as you can. You will not be able to get a refund if you find the phone is faulty after 30 days has passed.
Behind the Scenes at an Amazon Fulfilment Center
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.