The Best Things to Buy at a Garage or Yard Sale for Resale
Garage Sale Bargains
You've just seen the local paper and mapped out your plan of attack. The anticipation of what bargains will be dug up at the day's yard sales is building. With a pocket full of change, an empty car boot and a keen eye you venture out for an exciting day.
What antiques will be found? What can be purchased for pennies and resold online to make money? Will there be collectables? Maybe some great novels to read or maybe a shabby chic frame to do up for a mother's day present.
Shabby Chic is a design term for furniture or furnishings (including frames, throws, mirrors, serving trays) that have an appearance of age, or show signs of wear and tear. Often new items are re-decorated with a 'distressed' look to give them their antique appeal.
If shabby chic is your style, your passion, or you love decorating, then garage sales are your ultimate 'store'. Buy items, give them the shabby chic touch and resell online.
What a fantastic work from home idea!
- Frames: paint them, decorate them, mosaic them, cover with fabric - what ever you choose, you will save a fortune buying second hand.
- Serving trays: repainting a wooden serving tray and lining it with some gorgeous fabric (which you can also buy at a garage sale) or paper can make a great addition to your home or a gift.
- Old Furniture: give old chairs a new life as a planter box in your garden
Movies, Books & Music
Kids love watching movies. It does not matter whether the Wizard of Oz is playing on DVD or the beloved old VHS, it is still the Wizard of Oz. Sure it may not be digital, or surround sound or 3D but the simple enjoyment is still there.
If you still have an old video player laying around that works, buy movies.
- Garage sales are a fantastic place to pick up bundles of old movies for next to nothing. If you wanted to resell an old classical movie find, it should be watched in its entirety to ensure there are no warped parts.
How about books?
If you or your children are bookworms, a garage sale will surely be your best friend. You can always find novels, kids books, sometimes old magazines, reference books and even the old textbook.
- Books sell online - so do collectable magazines and comics, particularly if you can find them in a series or set, so dig deep into the pile.
Cassettes, if you remember them, are classical buys and sell to collectors online.
- Listen to the entire cassette to make sure it is not damaged.
- Collectable vinyl records, cassette tapes and dvds are a dime a dozen at garage sales.
If you are a fan of game consoles, keep a keen eye out for the classical Atari console or any of their cartridge games. These are collectables and are fantastic items to buy and resell.
Resell books online
There are many successful second hand book businesses on eBay
- Vintage children's books
- A book series
Books sell in bulk also so if you find a great bundle of science fiction books, cook books or romance stories (for example) sell them together.
- How-to books and D.I.Y. guides are also good sellers
10 Items NEVER to buy from a Yard Sale
When browsing your next yard sale, be aware of the Top 10 items NEVER to buy.
There will still be hundreds of other brilliant finds which you can either keep yourself or resell online to make money. Buying items at a garage sale to sell on eBay is a fantastic way that many people earn money from home as a business.
- 10 Tips: How to have a Successful Yard Sale
Here are 10 tips to ensuring you have a successful yard sale, as well as key items to avoid selling and items that buyers are eagerly searching for.
Buying garments from a garage sale can be a very profitable exercise.
Vintage clothing can be considered classical. In many cases some pieces are timeless and finding a gorgeous two-piece knit set, a dress, skirt or some accessories can be very lucrative if re-selling them online is your intention.
Modern, trendy garments, are great sellers online however more money is made if they are brand name items.
Some items for sale may require a little love and care, a needle and thread or a complete overhaul whilst others may be in perfect condition. Regardless prices are always good, and bargains are to be had.
Just make sure you check for holes, perspiration odours (particularly in jackets), and wear and tear on seams. A missing button can be added at a later date but a broken zip may be too difficult.
Be wary of personalised clothing however. They rank very highly in the list of items not to buy from a garage sale; this includes shoes.
Do you have a green thumb?
Often pots, plants, shrubs and gardening items are popular bargains at garage sales. If you are lucky enough to have a green thumb then take the time to dig through the plants for sale.
Whilst something may look like a weed to one person, you may identify it as a lovely orchid leaf, the beginnings of a red hibiscus or a carnation plant, so snap it up and bring it back to life.
Even second hand gardening tools can be a great find. A little oil here and there, a clean and they can become very workable for you. Probably not the most suitable for resale but you never know.
If you are handy in the workshop, a lawnmower may be bought for pennies and resold for a nice profit. Consider your options.
Who doesn't love a good roll of gorgeous fabric. It is so versatile. And if you are a crafty person looking for a work at home idea this is the perfect place to shop. A garage sale.
You can make almost anything and everything:
- Cover cushions
- Throw rugs
- Cover a plain canvas and decorate
- Clothes including dolls clothing
- Baby blankets
- Quilt covers
- And the list goes on
Sometimes the odd vintage garment (dare I say it) makes for a perfect piece of fabric for recycling and re-crafting into something new.
Even vintage doilies can be re-crafted into something special.
Collectables for Resale online
Keep a close eye out for collectables at garage sales. You know the line, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
These items are big sellers online if the right item is found and the right buyer is in need:
- Check condition of toys, dolls, action figures or boxed sets
- Check for authenticity if possible via markings - year of manufacture or number.
- Check for complete sets of lego, board games or activity sets.
Key Rings, Badges and Pins:
- Memorabilia is a big seller. Look for key rings, badges or pins from a sporting event, a historical figure or a classical brand (i.e. Coca-Cola).
- If they are truly antique there may be rust; that is OK.
- Unless you have a trained eye, finding an antique bowl amongst a table full of bowls could take hours. But it is worth a quick glance.
- Vintage cameras are a great buy too.
- Look out for charms, lockets, broaches or chains - some may be able to be melted down if they are genuine.
Christmas, Halloween or Party Decorations
Find a box full of old decorations? Go digging. You may find some great bits and pieces for next year's Christmas tree or Halloween dress ups. Don't discount anything.
Party lights, decorations or bits and pieces to create a theme.
Keep your eyes and mind open.
There are endless items that can be purchased at a garage sale. Belts, handbags and even the odd vase or two. All potentially re-sellable.
Comical items including cards, place mats, dress up costumes and ashtrays.
Have fun shopping at a garage sale.
You'll buy some 'lemons' and you'll strike gold.
Enjoy your next garage sale.
Tips for your own successful yard sale
If you are wanting to hold your own yard sale, here are the top 10 hints to ensure your success. This is the essential guide you must read!
All Hubs are Original Material by 'Work At Home Mums' ©