Susan is an internet marketing professional who regularly writes on Medium and is the author of two SEO books on Amazon.
The Sweet Scent of Free
Who doesn't love free stuff? I'm sure you've seen plenty of people getting free stuff in the mail. Perfume samples are one of the most popular items you can get for free. You just need to know how to do it correctly! Companies such as Chanel and Calvin Klein have tons of free perfume samples ready to ship. If you're a perfume lover, you'll be delighted to know that these companies regularly ship free samples to customers.
By simply asking the company for samples, you can get loads of perfume shipped straight to your door!
In this guide, you'll learn exactly how to write to companies for free perfume samples. You'll also get some sample letters and easy-to-use templates. It's time to dive into the exciting world of getting free stuff!
Step 1: Find Companies to Write To
There are a variety of perfume companies that you can write to. From the super famous to the local perfumery, there is no limit on who you can write to.
Do a Google search, and you'll find a lot. Dig around in the beauty cupboard, and you're sure to find some companies that make your favourite perfume.
To get you started, here is a list.
- Hugo Boss
- Calvin Klein
- Dolce and Gabbana
- Vera Wang
Once you have built up a list, check out their website and locate the "Contact Us" or "About Us" pages. Scan through these pages and locate their email addresses or office addresses. For a quicker response, I recommend using their email address. However, by sending them a letter via snail mail, you could get a higher response rate, since you took the time to write a handwritten letter.
Step 2: Write Your Letter or Email
Once you have found some perfume companies to write to, it's time to write a letter or email. Basically, you need to share your positive experiences with the company's products and then—ask for some free samples. Most companies will be pretty chuffed and should send you a cartload of their perfume samples.
Writing the letter can be tricky, so follow this template if you're stuck:
- Dear Sir/Madam: A polite and formal greeting works best.
- Introduction. Say why you are writing and say what a fan you are of their company. Mention one of their perfumes that you love, and say why you like their company over others.
- Personal Experience. Write about a short personal experience that you had with their perfume. It could be the fact that people complimented you on your perfume or that you attracted a lot of people with it! (Does the Lynx advert sound familiar?) Whatever it is, keep it short and sweet.
- Ask for samples. This is the moment of truth! Ask the company for some samples but do not do it bluntly! It doesn't work. Instead, say that you'd love to try more of their range or that you want to purchase a new perfume but need more ideas.
- Address. Give them your postal address.
- Gratitude. This is where you keep them happy by saying thank you for reading and that you will look forward to their response.
- Sign off. "Yours Faithfully", "Best Wishes", "Yours Sincerely" or "Kind Regards" work best when signing off.
How to Word a Letter to Get a Great Response
Here is a selection of quick phrases you can add into your letter.
- I am writing to say how much I love your perfume.
- In a word, your perfume is exquisite.
- I believe that you are the creators of the finest perfume in the world.
- Your perfume is so natural, and yet gives a lasting impression each time.
- It is nice to know that your products will always deliver every time.
- My personal favourite is your perfume [. . .] which my family always compliments me on!
- The hints of [. . .] fuse so well with the rest of the perfume.
- You guys are the perfume masters!
- I'd love to try more from your range. I love spicy perfumes. Could you send me some samples of those?
Step 3: Send Your Letter
Once you have completed your letter, it's time to send it to your chosen company!
Either send it to their physical office address (expect a long time for a reply, though) or send it instantly through email (response takes about a week). Whichever you choose, you should expect to get a response pretty quickly!
Here is a sample letter you can use. Make sure to swap the name of the perfume in paragraph #2 with another, and also add your address and name at the bottom. Don't copy and paste this directly; change it up a bit! If companies see the same generic letter all the time, they might get annoyed!
I am just writing to say what a huge fan I am of your company. I don't really like most perfumes because they are too strong and smell very similar. However, your perfume is simply divine!
My friend recommended your perfume Perfume Pour Femme recently and I decided to give it a go. Wow! As the saying goes, first impressions are lasting and that certainly did the trick for me. The hints of bergamot fused so well with the rose, and created such an original and spicy scent. I'm in love with it!
Most companies use commercial essential oils and don't use natural ingredients which I find very annoying. However, I love the fact that you use all natural ingredients so I know I have the best every time.
I would love to try more of your range. Could you please send me some samples for me to try out? My address is XXXXX.
I am looking forward to your response. Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Here are some tips that you can use for extra success:
- Don't be blunt. Being brutally blunt won't put you in their favour. They'd prefer to give samples to those that are more gracious when asking for samples.
- Name a perfume of theirs. This adds a little more personalisation to the letter, and it looks a lot more genuine and less generic.
- Don't copy and paste the sample letter. Make sure to mix it up and add in a few of your own original phrases and ideas. Keeping it original makes it look a lot better!
- Use short and snappy sentences. There's no point in boring the reader with long, winding sentences and passages. You'd be better off keeping this simple. Short, quick and snappy sentences can work wonders.
- Handwritten letters work best. f you're going to write a letter to a company, go the extra mile and handwrite it. You'll have much better success. Wouldn't you love to receive a handwritten letter from an old friend? It touches the heart. It really does. I've written handwritten letters to several companies and received perfume samples from all of them just because I "took the time and effort" to write a handwritten letter. Sweet!
© 2015 Susan W
Stephanie Evans on September 29, 2019:
Hi thank you for the samples perfumes
chaudhry sajid younas on March 16, 2019:
meritorious information really u providing but may plz help us to find the easiest way to find the companies email
perfumesceptic on August 18, 2018:
As a perfumer that has worked for Dior and now has their own line don't waste your time with this. The amount of work you will do and the expense of your postage will far outstrip the 1 in 20, 1ml sample of some random product you might be able to scrounge up. 1ml will last you 1-3 applications and no one will send you a full bottle or even a deluxe 5ml-10ml sample. Sampling is extremely expensive for the retailer and most producers are phasing it out to control costs. Even if you buy an expensive fragrance at the counter you may only see two or three samples in the bag and some counters won't give them out without purchase now. Niche brands are charging upwards of $5 per sample and most big fragrance companies don't even read customer mail anymore. You will be far better off building a relationship with the women that run your local beauty counter and ask them for samples.
perfume lover on June 14, 2017:
It doesn't work out for me..
Susan W (author) from The British Isles, Europe on August 16, 2016:
Thanks for reading, Margie! It's always great to get comments from great readers like you. Let me know what happens!
Thanks for following me here, too. :-)
Margie's Southern Kitchen from the USA on August 15, 2016:
I love perfume, but we now live on a fixed income! Thanks for sharing this, I will be trying it!
Susan W (author) from The British Isles, Europe on March 04, 2016:
Thanks Fiona! Good luck in your search for perfume samples. You should get a few, hopefully! :-)
Fiona on March 04, 2016:
Thanks great tips I plan on writing to some of my favorite companies soon.
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on June 19, 2015:
Cool tips. I would love to get fresh perfume samples in the mail. Voted up for useful!
Susan W (author) from The British Isles, Europe on March 04, 2015:
Trudy Cooper from Hampshire, UK on February 25, 2015:
FlourishAnyway from USA on February 23, 2015:
Well worth the effort, given the price of perfume! That is one beautifully crafted sample letter, too. Voted up and more, plus pinning.
freecampingaussie from Southern Spain on February 20, 2015:
Great tips! Would love to try this with an airline company !!
deergha from ...... a place beyond now and beyond here !!! on February 20, 2015:
Nice tips here and I would sure love to try this out. I am a perfume lover. I like to use different perfumes for different occasions. Thanks for this share.
Shared and votes up.
Sunil Kumar Kunnoth from Calicut (Kozhikode, South India) on February 20, 2015:
Very interesting and informative post. Thank you for this nice gesture by sharing some tips. Voted up. Shared.