How to Get Free Stuff and Products From Companies
Did you know that you can get companies to send you free products and samples...just by asking? That's right, no surveys or gimmicks, just writing them an email or letter could get you some free stuff or coupons. Most people think that you have to participate in dodgy surveys or enroll for free stuff on even dodgier websites but with this, you just ask the company yourself. Or you may think that it is a little degrading to ask them for free stuff, but trust me, they have so many products to give away that they will be glad you did ask! Some companies may not reply at all and some might, it depends a little on luck, but you are bound to get something. Some things you could get are:
- Perfume Samples
- Makeup Samples
- Coupons (for free products or 50% off)
- Full size products
- Discounts and vouchers
In this article you will learn the ins and outs of getting free stuff, what companies you should write to, how to do it yourself, my story and Tom Locke's story (he wrote to 100 companies which cost him $39, shows his results, what he got and more on his website). Enjoy!
How Did I Do It?
I recently encountered the $39 dollar experiment conducted by Tom Locke. In this experiment, he wrote to 100 companies asking them for free products. It appears that you can be sent free products from a company by saying how much you enjoy using their products and you would like to express how much of a fan you are of their amazing creations. He received many items and products from a variety of companies. I was impressed. I wanted to try this out for myself.
So, I tried it out with a few companies, I wrote them a letter, I'll explain how exactly below and waited. One day, a huge package arrived in the post and I received so many products from one company. Some companies never wrote back to me or sent anything, I expected that. But, I realized that it isn't all that difficult to get some free products.
1. Make A List Of Companies
The very first thing you have to do is to make a list of the companies you want to write to. You can write to one or two or you can write to four or five, the choice is yours. Look at items in your cupboard, bathroom, and office, get the names of these companies. Here are a selection of companies that you can write to, but remember, these companies are not guaranteed to send you samples; you will have to see for yourself. If I have written to a company and received free products, I'll let you know.
- Makeup, Perfume - Are you interested in makeup or perfume? Try writing to makeup companies for some samples such as: Clinique, Rimmel, Carma Labs (others have received products from Carma Labs, I don't live in America so I couldn't contact them), Chap Stick, Burt's Bees, Lush etc.
- Food - Kraft, Celestial Seasonings, Twinnings, Pepsi, Coca Cola, McDonalds, Wrigley's. You'll mainly get coupons but you could get a few samples too.
- Office Supplies - 3M, Staedtler, Stabilo, Daler and Rowney, Pentel, Sharpie, Crayola.
- Other: Colgate-Palmolive, Nestle, Apple (who sent me stickers).
2. Get Addresses or Email
Once you have your list of companies you will need to get their contact details. You can do so by either looking at their website under the 'Contact Us' or 'About Us' links and making note of their address or email address or, by taking a look at the 'Contact Us' heading on your product. It may be quite difficult sometimes to find their address, if you don't, forget about that company and move on. Sometimes, you might not find their address but their email on their website. Write them an email instead of a letter. Gather up some addresses and get ready to start writing!
Should I Send a Letter or Email?
Usually letters suggest to the company that you value their products so much that you took the time to write them a letter. I have had more success writing a letter than an email. However, you will have to pay stamps and envelopes if you decide to write a letter, but you will have more success than an email.
Carma Laboratories, Inc.
5801 West Airways Avenue
Franklin, Wisconsin 53132
3. Write Your Letter or Email
Once you have your company address, it is now time to write them a letter. Tell the company how much you value their products and their company, why they are the best company for making that product, what you love about their product, perhaps add a personal experience and then add that you would love to try more of their range and you would like to receive some samples. Here is a step by step overview:
- How much you love their company: Say why you like their products so much. For example; 'Your pens are so smooth to write with and are absolutely flawless, or your lotion is so soft and dissolves into my skin instantly!' Make a good paragraph on this and maybe explain two to three of their products.
- Say that you have built trust in them: 'I always buy your brand because I like to be in the know that you will deliver only excellence every time.' or 'Your brand has always produced excellent bath products time and time again. I now always buy your brand as I know that you will deliver only the best every time.'
- Add a personal experience: 'When I wash my hair with your silky shampoo, all my family comment on how soft and luscious my hair is!'
- Say how much you would like to try more of their range: I have become such a loyal customer of yours and a fan of your company that I would love to try more of your range. Could you send me some samples of your products? Thank you, I would be so grateful!
When writing your letter keep the following points in mind:
- Do not write to them just for receiving products, they will notice this and won't send you any. Be honest in what you tell them, you more than likely enjoy using their products so tell them that.
- Say what your favourite products are and why.
- Maybe give a personal experience (if you can).
- Be concise and stick to the point. There is no need to go overboard.
Sample Letter 1
Here is a sample letter to a fictional organic shower gel company called 'Organic Soaps.' This company is fictional and any resemblance to any company is purely coincidental.
I am writing to tell you how much I adore your shower and bath products. I believe that Organic Soaps are the creators of the finest shower and bath products in the world. Your shower gels remind me of nature. I feel in paradise when I use your shower gel. I particularly love your lavender and tea tree shower gel. It is so soothing to the skin and the lavender is so strong. I love the way you pack so much lavender flowers into the gel. It's natural and organic. Most shower gels nowadays are packed with harsh and synthetic chemicals but yours are completely natural. Well Done. As a feel-good enthusiast I always strive for excellence in shower and hair products and Organic Soaps do just that. I am such a fan of your company and I know that Organic Soaps always create the finest. I have recommended your products to my family and friends and they love your products just as much as I do. I would love to try more from your top class range. Could you please send me samples of your shower, bath and hair products to my address. I would be so grateful if you would send me some samples. Thank you.
Sample Letter 2
This letter is to a pen company.
I am writing to say how pleased I am with your products. I have tried and tested many pens but your pens are the best made. I buy your pens and pencils all the time. My office desk drawer is full of your products. Your pens are so smooth to write with and such well-thought out design! The shape of the pen itself is quite intricate and the colours are always my favourite. After such great quality, I am now a huge fan of your company.
I am a big fan of your UniBall pens. I use your pens in the home and office all the time, especially your highlighters when highlighting important facts in documents and spreadsheets.
I have recommended your products to all my friends and they too love your products. Whenever I need a new pen or pencil I always buy ... in the know that you will deliver only the finest quality every time. I would love to try more from your excellent range. Could you send me some samples? I would be so grateful, thank you!
Here are some handy phrases you can use to sprinkle here and there in your letters.
- I believe that your company make the finest ... in the world.
- I have built so much trust in your company as you deliver five star excellence every time.
- Your brownies are absolutely delicious! They melt in my mouth and make me feel like I am in paradise.
- Thank you for creating such amazing/life-changing products.
- My dog is very choosey in what dog treats he will eat, but his mouth waters at your brand! He absolutely loves them!
- Your ... are so well-designed and are made so intricately.
- I love the way your ... are 100% organic and natural. Most ... are synthetic these days but yours will always be homemade and eco-friendly, that is what I like so much about your company.
- I use your ... all the time, in the home, in the office.
- I have recommended your products to all my friends and they love your ...! We have become ...(name of company) No.1 fans!
- You have changed the world with your fantastic ...
- I would love to try more of your amazing range. Could you please send me some samples of your new products? I would be so grateful. Thanks!
As you can see, most of the phrases are very repetitive so you will get into the hang of things after a while.
Companies I Have Written To
No samples or coupons
"Due to the hundreds of requests we receive each year, it is not our policy to send them out."
Yes, see image above. Products worth $250
No samples or coupons
Does not have access to samples in their office but I should try getting samples online when placing an order
Yes, a €5.00 coupon
Yes, eight stickers of the Apple logo
Yes, four to five products
Oxford Copy Books (UK)
Yes, a project 300 page limited edition copy book
Did not respond
Yes! Two boxes containing 6 sample bottles of their Argan Oil shampoo range, and skincare range. Worth $12. I received a coupon for 25% off next order online too.
"I've wrote to many companies! Jelly belly is sending me some of their stuff, concord foods sent me full size packets: 2 smoothies, onion ring batter, mashed potatoes, and salsa. Sally Hansen is letting me review their products, suave sent me coupons and a coupon for a free suave product, national consumer panel sent me a scanner, and I'm waiting for emails from others. Thanks for this!" - Katie
© 2013 Susan W
More by this Author
How to write an effective letter of complaint to a company about an unsatisfactory product or service, that will produce results! This article contains a step by step guide to writing a letter of complaint, sample...
Learn how to get free samples from companies with no strings attached. Step by step, learn how to ask companies for free samples, find "no strings" sample websites, become part of Amazon's Vine Voice...
This guide teaches you how to write to companies for free makeup samples and products step by step, the tried and tested way! Plus, which companies to write to will be revealed. I try writing to a few companies and show...