How to Get Free Stuff and Products From Companies
Did you know that you can get companies to send you free products and samples . . . just by asking? That's right, no surveys or gimmicks, just writing them an email or letter could get you some free stuff or coupons. Most people think that you have to participate in dodgy surveys or enroll on even dodgier websites, but this way you just ask the company directly yourself. You may think that it is a little degrading to ask for free stuff, but trust me, they have so many products to give away that they will be glad you did ask! Some companies may not reply at all and some might, it depends a little on luck, but you are bound to get something. Some things you could get are:
- Household product samples
- Perfume samples
- Makeup samples
- Coupons (for free products or 50% off)
- Full-size products
- Discounts and vouchers
In this article you will learn the ins and outs of getting free stuff, which companies you should write to, how to do it yourself, my story, and Tom Locke's story (he wrote to 100 companies which cost him $39, shows what he got and more on his website). Enjoy!
Tips to Getting Free Products in the Mail
- Make a list of the companies whose products you use and really love.
- Find contact information, preferably a mailing address.
- Write a sincere letter expressing how much you love the products.
- Wait until the end of the letter to ask for free samples.
How Did I Do It?
I recently encountered the $39 dollar experiment conducted by Tom Locke. In this experiment, he wrote to 100 companies asking them for free products. It appears that you can receive free products from a company simply by saying how much you enjoy using their products and expressing what a fan you are of their amazing creations. He received many items and products from a variety of companies. I was impressed. I wanted to try this out for myself.
So, I tried it out with a few companies. I wrote them each a letter (I explain how exactly I did this below) and I waited. One day, a huge package arrived in the post and I received a huge amount of products from one company. Some companies never wrote back to me or sent anything, I expected that. But, I realized that it isn't all that difficult to get some free products.
1. Make a List of Companies
The very first thing you have to do is to make a list of the companies you want to write to. You can write to one or two or you can write to four or five, the choice is yours. Look at items in your cupboard, bathroom, and office, and collect the names of the companies whose products you like. Here are a selection of companies that you can write to, but remember, these companies are not guaranteed to send you samples; you will have to see for yourself. If I have written to any of them and received free products, I'll let you know.
- Makeup and Perfume Try writing to makeup companies such as: Clinique, Rimmel, and Carma Labs (others have received products from Carma Labs, but I don't live in America so I couldn't contact them), Chap Stick, Burt's Bees, Lush, etc.
- Food Kraft, Celestial Seasonings, Twinings, Pepsi, Coca-Cola, McDonalds, and Wrigley's. You'll mainly get coupons, but you could get a few samples too.
- Office Supplies 3M (I received free products from them), Staedtler, Stabilo, Daler and Rowney, Pentel, Sharpie, and Crayola.
- Other Colgate-Palmolive, Nestle, and Apple (sent me stickers).
2. Get Addresses or Email
Once you have your list of companies you will need to get their contact details. You can do so by either looking at their website under the Contact Us or About Us links and making note of their address or email address or, by taking a look at the Contact Us information on your product. It may be quite difficult sometimes to find their address. If you can't find it, forget about that company and move on. Sometimes an email address works better. Write them an email instead of a letter. Gather up some addresses and get ready to start writing!
Should I Send a Letter or an Email?
Usually letters suggest to the company that you value their products so much that you took the time to write them a letter. I have had more success writing a letter than an email. You will have to pay for stamps and envelopes if you decide to write a letter, but you will have more success than an email.
Carma Laboratories, Inc.
5801 West Airways Avenue
Franklin, Wisconsin 53132
3. Write Your Letter or Email
Once you have your company address, it is time to write them a letter. Tell the company how much you value their products and their company, why they are the best company for making that product, what you love about their product, perhaps add a personal experience, add that you would love to try more of their range and that you would like to receive some samples. Here is a step by step overview:
- How much you love their company: Say why you like their products so much. For example; "Your pens are so smooth to write with and are absolutely flawless," or "Your lotion is so soft and dissolves into my skin instantly!" Make a good paragraph on this and maybe explain two to three of their products.
- Say that you have built trust in them: "I always buy your brand because I like to be in the know and you will deliver only excellence every time." or "Your brand has produced excellent bath products time and time again. I now always buy your brand as I know that you will deliver only the best every time."
- Add a personal experience: "When I wash my hair with your silky shampoo, all my family comment on how soft and luscious my hair is!"
- Say how much you would like to try more of their range: "I have become such a loyal customer and fan of your company that I would love to try more of your range. Could you send me some samples of your products? Thank you, I would be so grateful!"
When writing your letter keep the following points in mind:
- Do not limit your letter to a request for free products. They will notice this and won't send you any. Be honest about why you like their company. You more than likely to receive samples if you are a genuinely loyal customer.
- Say what your favourite products are and why.
- Maybe give a personal experience (if you can).
- Be concise and stick to the point. There is no need to go overboard.
Would you like to write to companies after reading this?
Sample Letter 1
Here is a sample letter to a fictional organic shower gel company. This company is fictional and any resemblance to any company is purely coincidental.
I am writing to tell you how much I adore your shower and bath products. I believe that Organic Soaps are the creators of the finest shower and bath products in the world. Your shower gels remind me of nature. I feel like I am in paradise when I use your shower gel. I particularly love your lavender and tea tree shower gel. It is so soothing to the skin and the lavender is so strong. I love the way you pack so much lavender flowers into the gel. It's natural and organic. Most shower gels nowadays are packed with harsh and synthetic chemicals but yours are completely natural. Well done. As a feel-good enthusiast, I always strive for excellence in shower and hair products and Organic Soaps offer just that. I am such a fan of your company and I know that Organic Soaps always create the finest. I have recommended your products to my family and friends and they love your products just as much as I do. I would love to try more from your top class range. Could you please send me samples of your shower, bath and hair products to my address? I would be so grateful if you would send me some samples. Thank you.
Sample Letter 2
This letter is to a pen company.
I am writing to say how pleased I am with your products. I have tried and tested many pens but your pens are the best. I buy your pens and pencils all the time. My office desk drawer is full of your products. Your pens are so smooth to write with and the design is so well thought-out. The shape of the pen itself is quite intricate and the colours are always my favourite. After such great quality, I am now a huge fan of your company.
I am a big fan of your UniBall pens. I use your pens in the home and office all the time, especially your highlighters when highlighting important facts in documents and spreadsheets.
I have recommended your products to all my friends and they too love your products. Whenever I need a new pen or pencil I always buy UniBall knowing that you will deliver only the finest quality every time. I would love to try more from your excellent range. Could you send me some samples? I would be so grateful. Thank you!
Here are some handy phrases you can use to sprinkle here and there in your letters.
- I believe that your company make the finest [fill in product type] in the world.
- I have built so much trust in your company as you deliver five star excellence every time.
- Your brownies are absolutely delicious! They melt in my mouth and make me feel like I am in paradise.
- Thank you for creating such amazing/life-changing products.
- My dog is very choosey in what dog treats he will eat, but his mouth waters at your brand! He absolutely loves them!
- Your [fill in product type] are so well-designed and are made so intricately.
- I love the way your [fill in product type] are 100% organic and natural. Most other [product] are synthetic these days, but yours are always homemade and eco-friendly. That is what I like so much about your company.
- I use your [product] all the time, in the home and in the office.
- I have recommended your products to all my friends and they love your [product] too. We have become [name of company]'s No.1 fans!
- You have changed the world with your fantastic [product].
- I would love to try more of your amazing range. Could you please send me some samples of your new products? I would be so grateful. Thanks!
As you can see, most of the phrases are very repetitive so you will get into the hang of things after a while.
Companies I Have Written To
No samples or coupons
"Due to the hundreds of requests we receive each year, it is not our policy to send them out."
Yes, see image above. Products worth $250
No samples or coupons
Does not have access to samples in their office but I should try getting samples online when placing an order
Yes, a €5.00 coupon
Yes, eight stickers of the Apple logo
Yes, four to five products
Oxford Copy Books (UK)
Yes, a project 300 page limited edition copy book
No response . . . yet
Did not respond
Yes! Two boxes containing 6 sample bottles of their Argan Oil shampoo range, and skincare range. Worth $12. I recieved a coupon for 25% off next order online too.
"I've wrote to many companies! Jelly belly is sending me some of their stuff, concord foods sent me full size packets: 2 smoothies, onion ring batter, mashed potatoes, and salsa. Sally Hansen is letting me review their products, suave sent me coupons and a coupon for a free suave product, national consumer panel sent me a scanner, and I'm waiting for emails from others. Thanks for this!" - Katie
© 2013 Susan W