How to Shop at Aldi - The USA's Low-Price Grocery Leader
If you have an Aldi store near you, don’t waste another minute and start saving up to 75% on many of the groceries that you would normally buy at a traditional supermarket or drug store. This hub teaches you everything that you need to know about shopping at Aldi.
I have divided the hub into the following categories:
- Aldi Locations in the USA
- What Makes Aldi the Low Price Leader?
- What Can You Find on the Shelves at Aldi?
- What’s New at Aldi?
- SimplyNature - Feel Good Ingredients
- liveGfree: Gluten Free Options
- Never Any! - Meat Raised Right
- Fit & Active - For a Healthier You
- Specially Selected - Aldi Gone Gourmet
- Elevation - Fuel Up for Less
- Pueblo Lindo - Hispanic Favorites
- Connoisseur Wines at Penny-Pincher Prices
- Miscellaneous Facts about Aldi
- Aldi's Free App
- Examples of Aldi's Rock-Bottom Prices
- What Not to Buy at Aldi
- What Aldi Shoppers Have to Say
Aldi Locations in the USA:
Aldi currently operates nearly 2,000 stores in 35 states, including Southern California, Florida, and Texas. Several years ago, Aldi opened a store in the Friendship area of Pittsburgh which is not far from my Squirrel Hill neighborhood. The store was an instant success and attracts thousands of customers every week from various Pittsburgh neighborhoods.
More information about Aldi store locations:
Aldi stores are located in the following USA states: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Vermont, Wisconsin, and West Virginia. Aldi also operates stores in the District of Columbia.
Here are 50 metro areas in which Aldi stores are located:
Anaheim (CA), Bakersfield (CA), Long Beach (CA), San Bernardino (CA), New Haven (CT), District of Columbia (DC), Miami (FL), Orlando (FL), Atlanta (GA), Des Moines (IA), Chicago (IL), Indianapolis (IN), Wichita (KS), Louisville (KY), Worcester (MA), Baltimore (MD), Silver Spring (MD), Ann Arbor (MI), Detroit (MI), Minneapolis (MN), Saint Paul (MN), Kansas City (MO), St. Louis (MO), Charlotte (NC), Omaha (NE), Cherry Hill (NJ), New Brunswick (NJ), North Bergen (NJ), Bronx (NY), Brooklyn (NY), Buffalo (NY), Syracuse (NY), Akron (OH), Cincinnati (OH), Cleveland (OH), Columbus (OH), Dayton (OH), Oklahoma City (OK), Pittsburgh (PA), Philadelphia (PA), Providence (RI), Columbia (SC), Sioux Falls (SD), Memphis (TN), Dallas (TX), Ft. Worth (TX), Houston (TX), Alexandria (VA), Milwaukee (WI), and Charleston (WV).
Here is a partial list of Aldi’s scheduled grand openings for 2017. Check to see if an Aldi store is coming to your neighborhood soon:
East Hartford and Southington, CT; Daytona Beach, FL; Elgin, Evergreen Park, Savoy, Villa Park, and Westmont, IL; Goshen and Warsaw, IN; Cedar Rapids and Ottumwa, IA; Olathe, KS; Owensboro, KY; Eldersburg, MD; Clinton Township and Wyoming, MI; Dundas and Mankato, MN; Poplar Bluff, MO; Clifton Park, Greece, Ithaca, Jamestown, and Yorkville, NY; High Point, Monroe, Morganton, and Wilkesboro, NC; Bowling Green, Fairview Park, Lewis Center, and Reynoldsburg, OH; Lawton, Oklahoma City, and Stillwater, OK; Carlisle, Collingdale, and North Versailles, PA; Conway and Easley, SC; Chattanooga, TN; Pasadena, TX; Green Bay, Racine, and Stevens Point, WI.
What Makes Aldi the Low Price Leader?
1. In order to maintain their reputation for rock-bottom prices without compromising quality, Aldi is strictly a “no frills” operation. In addition, their stores are smaller in size than a traditional supermarket such as Safeway, Kroger, or Giant Eagle.
2. The average Aldi store is only 10,000 to 11,000 square feet. The Food Marketing Institute (FMI) observes that grocery stores nationwide have increased dramatically in size, from an average of 18,000 square feet in 1980s to between 30,000 and 45,000 square feet in 2000. In 2007, the FMI noted that the median store size was 47,500 square feet.
3. Aldi keeps their carts in one convenient place. You put a quarter in the cart, shop, and then return the cart to get your quarter back. This helps to keep prices low because Aldi doesn’t have to spend time retrieving carts.
4. They do not have a rewards card or a fuel perks program.
5. There are only 1,500 products to choose from at Aldi, compared to over 40,000 at a traditional supermarket like Kroger or Safeway.
6. Aldi does not accept manufacturer’s coupons and is not a member of the SavingStar.com e-coupon program.
7. At the checkstand, Aldi accepts cash, debit cards, most major credit cards, and food stamps. However, they do not honor checks. If you pay for your groceries by debit card, you can request cash back at the point-of-sale.
8. You must bag your own groceries as well as supply your own paper or plastic bags. As a convenience, Aldi sells both paper and plastic bags (each with the distinct Aldi logo) for a modest price.
9. Aldi stores do not have pharmacies, wellness centers, in-store bank branches or ATMs, butcher shops or fresh seafood departments, in-house bakeries or delis, floral departments, fax services, or a dry cleaning and shirt laundry service.
10. Go shopping at Aldi on Wednesdays. According to Aldi employee Amirite Clyde: “Wednesday is universally the best day to shop at Aldi. New prices roll out every Wednesday and they have new ‘produce picks of the week,’ which means that you can get a steal on some produce and other products. We just got done with a promotion where we had 79 cent dozen eggs. You'll usually find pineapple marked down to a dollar and 69 cent avocados. Also, since this produce is marked down so cheap, it goes fast so it's always being replaced with new product. It'll never just sit all day without being replenished but like I said, always dig to the bottom.”
11. You cannot purchase money orders, postage stamps, lottery tickets, public transit passes, or tobacco products at Aldi.
12. They do not have a greeting card or magazine section.
13. Aldi does not have a check-cashing service.
14. They do not sell gift cards for major retailers like Target, Macy’s, or Best Buy.
15. It’s no surprise that Aldi is a “formidable foe” to Walmart as well as to established grocery store chains like Kroger and Safeway.
What Can You Find on the Shelves at Aldi?
1. Aldi stocks both private labels and name brands. However, 90% of products are Aldi exclusives. There are dozens of Aldi store brands including:
Appleton Farms, Baker’s Corner, Basic, Boulder, Carlini, Chef’s Cupboard, Choceur, Clancy’s, Elevation (protein bars and powder), Fit&Active (for healthier you), Freshine, Friendly Farms, Little Journey (baby essentials), Little Salad Bar, liveGfree (gluten-free options), Millville, Nature’s Nectar, NatureRipe, Never Any! (meat raised without hormones), Priano, Pueblo Lindo (from south of the border straight to your plate), Sea Queen, Season’s Choice, SimplyNature (feel-good ingredients), Southern Grove, Specially Selected (Aldi gone gourmet), Stonemill (spices and seasonings), Tuscan Garden (vinegar, etc.), Welby (personal care products), and Willow.
2. Aldi brands do not contain any trans fats, certified synthetic colors, or added msg. According to Aldi CEO Jason Hart: “Our decision to remove these ingredients from all of our exclusive brand foods delivers on our ongoing commitment to meet the evolving preferences of our customers. Since more than 90% of the products we sell are under our exclusive brands, eliminating these ingredients will have a real impact on the over 30 million people who shop in our stores.”
3. Aldi’s private-label spices and seasonings are at least 70% cheaper than what you would pay at a traditional grocery store. Here is their selection: basil leaves, chili powder, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, garlic salt, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, Italian seasoning, minced onion, onion powder, oregano leaves, paprika, parsley flakes, seasoned meat tenderizer, and steak seasoning.
4. Aldi also carries a variety of organic spices and seasonings that are over 60 per cent cheaper than what you would pay at a traditional grocery store or even at Target. Here is their selection: cayenne pepper, garlic granules, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, and Italian seasoning.
5. Aldi has a secret test kitchen. Mike Timmermann tells us that “At its headquarters in Batavia, Illinois, Aldi has a kitchen where its products are taste-tested. If a product doesn’t meet the company’s standards, Aldi works with the supplier to improve it. In-house chefs also create recipes, like this German style grilled cheese, which are shared on Aldi’s website.”
6. Some of Aldi’s private labels are marked pareve. Examples include yellow mustard, tomato ketchup, distilled white vinegar, dry roasted peanuts, steel cut oats, pasta, potato chips, and their 16.9-ounce bottle of extra virgin olive oil. By the way, “pareve” is a Yiddish word for neutral. Foods called pareve do not contain any meat or dairy products or their derivatives and may be used when preparing and serving meat or dairy meals. Examples of pareve products are fish, foods that are grown in the earth, and non-animal manufactured products such as artificial sweeteners. because they do not contain any dairy products or the derivatives of such.
7. At Aldi, you will always find USDA Choice Beef at never-ending low prices. On their website. Aldi confirms that “You’ll find that our fresh steaks and roasts are all packed in vacuum-sealed leak proof packaging. This guarantees that your meat will stay fresher, longer. The deep purple color means there’s no air in the package and is an indicator freshness. Once the package is opened, the meat will turn the bright red you’ve come to expect in high quality beef.”
8. Prestigious institutions from all over are honoring Aldi for their high-quality products. Here are some examples of product awards that Aldi has received over the past several years:
- The Priano Italian Cheese Wedge in Asiago and Parmesan varieties received the American Masters of Taste SUPERIOR TASTE Gold Medal Seal in the Domestic Parmesan and Domestic Asiago cheese categories. Both cheeses were honored based on their superior taste in a triple blind taste test. Chefs in America is a nationwide network of 7,500 corporate, high volume and executive chefs.
- The ALDI Specially Selected Aged Reserve White Cheddar, crafted exclusively by Adams Reserve, has been named a 2013 United States Cheese Championship Gold Medal Winner.
- ALDI-exclusive brand, Specially Selected, is the 2013 winner of the Store Brands Magazine – Store Brand Achievement Awards "Best New Product or Product Line, Grocery/Supermarket Channel" category.
- SimplyNature Kids Squeezable Fruit Blend—Apple Multi-Fruit—has been awarded a 2014 Category Colonel Award in the Baby Products category from PLBuyer.
- ALDI-exclusive liveGfree Gluten Free Chocolate Baking Mix was awarded a second place honor in the Dessert Mix category from the Gluten-Free Buyers Guide.
9. Here are some of the brand names that Aldi carries: Arizona green tea, Bounty paper towels, Crest toothpaste, Fabreze, Fabuloso, Gatorade, Hawaiian Punch, Hershey's, Kit Kat, M&M's, Miracle Whip, Nutter Butters, Pringles, Reese's, Snickers, Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce, Tide, Top Ramen, Twizzlers, Welch's juices, and Werthers.
10. Most Aldi stores have a “Special Buys” section in addition to their range of everyday grocery products. “Special Buys” can include anything from electronics (for example, DVD players) to clothing and kitchenware. Here are some of the “Best Buys” that I found recently at the Aldi store in Pittsburgh’s Friendship neighborhood: 4-piece bath sets, 5-quart colanders, baking pans, cook, fry and serve pans, folding trunk organizers, glass cutting boards, high-reach cleaning kits, kitchen mats, kitchen towels, mesh bins, muffin pans, pet food containers, pizza pans, popcorn makers, rotary graters, soup crock sets, suction mirrors, and toilet seats.
11. Aldi discounts their bread products five days before they expire.
12. Most Aldi stores have a designated clearance area for merchandise that has been reduced for quick sale.
13. Unlike some Giant Eagle locations, Aldi stores in Pennsylvania do not sell alcoholic beverages. (Author’s note: Please note that I am unable to clarify Aldi’s policy on the sale of alcoholic beverages in the remaining 34 USA states in which their stores are located.)
14. Unlike traditional grocery stores, Aldi does not have a wide selection of health and beauty aids as well as vitamins and nutritional supplements. For example, the only vitamins and supplements that you will find at the Aldi store in Pittsburgh’s Shadyside/Friendship neighborhood are multi-vitamins and fish oil.
15. Fresh produce is delivered every morning to Aldi stores. The turnaround is very fast and there is little waste. (Did you know that Aldi’s produce prices are sometimes lower than wholesalers?)
What’s New at Aldi?
Aldi is always looking for new and exciting products for their customers. Here are some of the latest items that Aldi has just found for you:
- Little Salad Bar: Southwest Chopped Salad Kit
- Fresh Atlantic Salmon
- Fresh Atlantic Salmon Side
- Fresh Atlantic Salmon with Mediterranean Herb
- Fresh Tilapia Fillets
- Fresh Tilapia with Garlic Herb
- Barissimo Organic, Fair Trade Single Origin Whole Bean Coffee from Honduras
- Barissimo Organic, Fair Trade Single Origin Whole Bean Coffee from Peru
- Priano Herb Chicken Tortellini
- Priano Three Cheese Tortellini
- Specially Selected Raw Honey
- iveGFree Gluten Free Raisin Almond Honey Granola
- liveGFree Gluten Free Apple Almond Honey Granola
- liveGFree Gluten Free Cranberry Cashew Honey Granola
- Acorn Squash
- Spaghetti Squash
Snacks & Sweets:
- Millville Cashew Sweet & Salty Bars
- Millville Chocolatey Pretzel & Almond Sweet & Salty Nut Bars
- Millville Peanut, Almonds & Dark Chocolate Sweet & Salty Nut Bars
- Willow Mega Roll Ultra Soft Bath Tissue
- Willow Mega Roll Ultra Strong Bath Tissue
- Third Street Brewhouse Hop Lift IPA
SimplyNature - Feel Good Ingredients
Over the past couple of years, Aldi has been steadily rolling out more organic products. Theo Thimou tells us that “The store has already removed artificial growth hormones from its milk. Up next is removing the same from its yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and other dairy products. There’s also an ongoing effort to ramp up the presence of its Never Any! brand of meats, which contains no added antibiotics, hormones, animal by-products or other additives.”
Another Aldi response to providing its customers with organic and all natural foods is the "SimplyNature" brand. All SimplyNature products are free of over 125 ingredients including artificial colors, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, nitrates, bleached flour, and aspartame. Many SimplyNature items also have the USDA Organic Seal. The Public Health and Safety explains what the USDA Organic Seal means:
Products labeled as “100% organic” must contain only organically produced ingredients and processing aids, excluding water and salt. No other ingredients or additives are permitted.
Products labeled “organic” must contain at least 95 percent organically produced ingredients (excluding water and salt). Any remaining ingredients must consist of non-agricultural substances that appear on the NOP National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances.
Here is a list of over 100 SimplyNature products that you can find at Aldi:
- SimplyNature Organic 100% Grass Fed 85/15 Ground Beef
- SimplyNature Organic Baby Arugula
- SimplyNature Organic Baby Spinach
- SimplyNature Organic Cage Free Brown Eggs
- SimplyNature Organic Chopped Kale
- SimplyNature Organic Mixed Greens
- SimplyNature Organic Spring Mix
- SimplyNature Organic Original Soymilk
- SimplyNature Organic Vanilla Soymilk
- SimplyNature Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt
- SimplyNature Organic Whole Milk Vanilla Yogurt
- SimplyNature Organic Blueberries
- SimplyNature Organic Chunky Strawberry Fruit Bars
- SimplyNature Organic Creamy Coconut Fruit Bars
- SimplyNature Organic Mango Fruit Bars
- SimplyNature Organic Strawberries
Snacks & Sweets:
- SimlyNature Freeze Dried Peaches
- SimplyNature Apple Banana Fruit Squeezies
- SimplyNature Apple Cinnamon Fruit Squeezies
- SimplyNature Apple Multi-Fruit Fruit Squeezies
- SimplyNature Apple Peach Fruit Squeezies
- SimplyNature Apple Strawberry Fruit Squeezies
- SimplyNature Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
- SimplyNature Exotic Vegetable Chips
- SimplyNature Freeze Dried Apples
- SimplyNature Freeze Dried Peaches
- SimplyNature Freeze Dried Strawberries
- SimplyNature Green Pea Crisps
- SimplyNature Kids Organic Fruit Snacks
- SimplyNature Kids Organic White Cheddar Puffs
- SimplyNature Multigrain Tortilla Chips
- SimplyNature Organic Popcorn
- SimplyNature Organic Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips
- SimplyNature Raspberry Fruit Strips
- SimplyNature Raw Almonds, Pecans, and Pistachio Kernels
- SimplyNature Raw Cashews, Walnuts, and Macadamia Nuts
- SimplyNature Strawberry Fruit Strips
- SimplyNature Sweet Potato Chips
- SimplyNature Unsweetened Apple Fruit Squeezies
- Simply Nature Organic Black Beans
- SimplyNature Almond and Coconut Fruit & Nut Bars
- SimplyNature Brown Milled Flax Seed
- SimplyNature Cranberry Almond Fruit & Nut Bars
- SimplyNature Creamy Almond Butter
- SimplyNature Golden Roasted Flax Seed
- SimplyNature Knock Your Sprouts Off Sprouted 7 Grain Bread
- SimplyNature Knock Your Sprouts Off Sprouted 7 Grain Low Sodium Bread
- SimplyNature Light Guatemalan Roast Organic Coffee Cups
- SimplyNature Medium Extra Bold Roast Organic Coffee Cups
- SimplyNature Oat So Healthy® Honey Oat Bread
- SimplyNature Organic 100% Apple Juice
- SimplyNature Organic Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette
- SimplyNature Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- SimplyNature Organic Apple Cinnamon Instant Oatmeal
- SimplyNature Organic Apple Walnut Granola Cereal
- SimplyNature Organic Asian Ginger Dressing
- SimplyNature Organic Beef Broth
- SimplyNature Organic Cane Sugar
- SimplyNature Organic Chicken Broth
- SimplyNature Organic Chicken Noodle Soup
- SimplyNature Organic Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- SimplyNature Organic Chocolate Chip Chewy Granola Bars
- SimplyNature Organic Coconut & Chia Granola
- SimplyNature Organic Coconut Oil
- SimplyNature Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
- SimplyNature Organic Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese
- SimplyNature Organic Deluxe Shells & Cheese
- SimplyNature Organic Diced Tomatoes
- SimplyNature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- SimplyNature Organic Ground Cayenne
- SimplyNature Organic Ground Cinnamon
- SimplyNature Organic Ground Cumin
- SimplyNature Organic Ground Garlic Granules
- SimplyNature Organic Italian Seasoning
- SimplyNature Organic Ketchup
- SimplyNature Organic Lentil Soup
- SimplyNature Organic Light Agave Nectar
- SimplyNature Organic Light Brown Sugar
- SimplyNature Organic Linguine
- SimplyNature Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- SimplyNature Organic Macaroni & Cheese
- SimplyNature Organic Maple Spice Instant Oatmeal
- SimplyNature Organic Marinara Pasta Sauce
- SimplyNature Organic Oats & Flax Instant Oatmeal
- SimplyNature Organic Pumpkin & Flax Granola
- SimplyNature Organic Quick Cook Brown Rice
- SimplyNature Organic Quinoa
- SimplyNature Organic Roasted Red Pepper Dressing
- SimplyNature Organic Spaghetti
- SimplyNature Organic Tahini Goddess Dressing
- SimplyNature Organic Thick & Chunky Hot Salsa
- SimplyNature Organic Thick & Chunky Medium Salsa
- SimplyNature Organic Thick & Chunky Mild Salsa
- SimplyNature Organic Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- SimplyNature Organic Tomato Basil Soup
- SimplyNature Organic Tropical Mango Passion Granola Cereal
- SimplyNature Organic Vanilla Chip Chewy Granola Bars
- SimplyNature Organic Vegetable Broth
- SimplyNature Organic White Rice
- SimplyNature Organic Wildflower Honey
- SimplyNature Original Shredded Wheat Cereal
- SimplyNature Seedtastic 21 Whole Grains & Seeds Bread
- SimplyNature Unsweetened Applesauce
liveGfree: Gluten Free Options
Now you can enjoy your favorite foods all day long with Aldi's "liveGfree" product line.
Here is a list of over 50 liveGfree products that you can find at Aldi:
- liveGfree Gluten Free Blueberry Pancakes
- liveGfree Gluten Free Cheese Pizza
- liveGfree Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets
- liveGfree Gluten Free Ham & Cheese Stuffed Sandwiches
- liveGfree Gluten Free Homestyle Pancakes
- liveGfree Gluten Free Pepperoni Pizza
- liveGfree Gluten Free Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Sandwiches
- liveGfree Gluten Free Southwest Veggie Stuffed Sandwiches
- liveGfree Gluten Free Spinach, Artichoke & Kale Stuffed Sandwiches
- liveGFree Gluten Free Apple Almond Honey Granola
- liveGFree Gluten Free Cranberry Cashew Honey Granola
- liveGFree Gluten Free Raisin Almond Honey Granola
- liveGfree Gluten Free Brown Rice Spaghetti
- liveGfree Gluten Free Caramel Apple Baked Chewy Bars
- liveGfree Gluten Free Chocolate Baking Mix
- liveGfree Gluten Free Cocoa Loco Baked Chewy Bars
- liveGfree Gluten Free Deluxe Macaroni & Cheese
- liveGfree Gluten Free Deluxe Shells & Cheese
- liveGfree Gluten Free Pancake & Baking Mix
- liveGfree Gluten Free Plain Wraps
- liveGfree Gluten Free Very Berry Baked Chewy Bars
- liveGfree Gluten Free White Bread
- liveGfree Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread
- liveGfree Gluten Free Yellow Baking Mix
- liveGfree Organic Gluten Free Brown Rice & Quinoa Fusilli
- liveGfree Organic Gluten Free Brown Rice & Quinoa Penne
Snacks & Sweets:
- LiveGfree Black Sesame Brown Rice Crisps
- LiveGfree Sweet Chili Brown Rice Crisps
- liveGfree Gluten Free Double Chocolate Brownie Soft Baked Cookies
- liveGfree Gluten Free Pretzel Minis
- liveGfree Gluten Free Pretzel Sticks
- liveGfree Gluten Free Rosemary & Olive Oil Multiseed Crackers
- liveGfree Gluten Free Sea Salt Multiseed Crackers
- liveGfree Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Soft Baked Cookies
More Gluten-Free Foods:
- Baker’s Corner Butterscotch Morsels
- Baker’s Corner Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- Baker’s Corner White Baking Morsels
- Casa Mamita Fat Free Refried Beans
- Casa Mamita Traditional Refried Beans
- Chef’s Cupboard Beef Broth
- Chef’s Cupboard Chicken Broth
- Clancy’s Barbecue Baked Potato Crisps
- Clancy’s Cheese Puffs
- Clancy’s Original Baked Potato Crisps
- Dakota’s Pride Chili Beans
- Dakota’s Pride Great Northern Beans
- Dakota’s Pride Kidney Beans
- Fit & Active Caramel Corn Rice Cakes
- Fit & Active Lightly Salted Rice Cakes
- Fit & Active Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- Happy Harvest Cream Style Corn
- Kirkwood Ground Turkey
- Millville Corn Squares Cereal
- Millville Rice Squares Cereal
- SimplyNature Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- SimplyNature Organic Low Sodium Free Range Chicken Broth
Never Any! - Meat Raised Right
Aldi’s "Never Any!" brands do not contain any antibiotics, added hormones, or animal by-products.
Here is a complete list of their Never Any! product line:
- Appleton Farms Never Any! Hickory Bacon
- Kirkwood Never Any! Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- Kirkwood Never Any! Chipotle Chicken Sausage
- Kirkwood Never Any! Fresh Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Kirkwood Never Any! Fresh Chicken Breasts Tenderloins
- Kirkwood Never Any! Fresh Whole Chicken
- Kirkwood Never Any! Mild Italian Chicken Sausage
- Kirkwood Never Any! Spinach & Feta Chicken Sausage
- Kirkwood Never Any! Tomato Basil Chicken Sausage
- Lunch Mate Never Any! Honey Ham
- Lunch Mate Never Any! Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Lunch Mate Never Any! Rotisserie Chicken
- Lunch Mate Never Any! Uncured Black Forest Ham
Fit & Active - For a Healthier You
Aldi’s "Fit & Active" products are designed to be better for you and your wallet.
Here is a complete list of their Fit & Active product line:
- Fit & Active® Strawberry Watermelon Liquid Water Enhancer Fit & Active® Cranberry Flavored Water
- Fit & Active® Fruit Punch Drink Mix
- Fit & Active® Fruit Punch Drink Mix Sticks
- Fit & Active® Grape Drink Mix
- Fit & Active® Iced Tea with Lemon Drink Mix Sticks
- Fit & Active® Lemonade Drink Mix
- Fit & Active® Lemonade Drink Mix Sticks
- Fit & Active® Lemonade Flavored Water
- Fit & Active® Mango Tropical Flavored Water
- Fit & Active® Milk Chocolate Weight Loss Shakes
- Fit & Active® Orange Tangerine Liquid Water Enhancer
- Fit & Active® Peach Iced Tea Drink Mix
- Fit & Active® Raspberry Lemonade Drink Mix Sticks
- Fit & Active® Raspberry Lemonade Liquid Water Enhancer
- Fit & Active® Strawberry Lemonade Flavored Water
- Fit & Active Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
- Fit & Active® 93% Lean Fresh Ground Turkey
- Fit & Active® Classic Turkey Franks
- Fit & Active® Cracked Pepper Turkey Breast Tenderloins
- Fit & Active® Egg Substitute
- Fit & Active® Egg Whites
- Fit & Active® Lean Turkey Polska Kielbasa
- Fit & Active® Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Fit & Active® Rotisserie Flavor Turkey Breast Tenderloins
- Fit & Active® Smoked & Cured Turkey Bacon
- Fit & Active® Smoked Honey Ham
- Fit & Active® 2% Milk American Singles
- Fit & Active® 2% Milk Four Cheese Mexican Blend
- Fit & Active® 2% Milk Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Fit & Active® Light String Cheese
- Fit & Active® Neufchâtel Cheese
- Fit & Active® Plain Nonfat Yogurt
- Fit & Active® Vanilla Nonfat Yogurt
- Fit & Active® Canadian Bacon Breakfast Sandwiches
- Fit & Active® Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Bars
- Fit & Active® Lite Whipped Topping
- Fit & Active® Orange Sorbet Ice Cream Bars
- Fit & Active® Pepperoni Pizza Stuffed Sandwiches
- Fit & Active® Southwest Veggie Stuffed Sandwiches
- Fit & Active® Turkey & Broccoli Stuffed Sandwiches
- Fit & Active® Turkey Meatballs
- Fit & Active® Turkey Sausage Breakfast Sandwiches
- Fit & Active® Whole Grain Waffles
- Fit & Active® Wildberry Sorbet Ice Cream Bars
Snacks & Sweets:
- Fit & Active® 100 Calorie Chocolate Chip Snack Pack
- Fit & Active® 100 Calorie Chocolate Snack Pack
- Fit & Active® 100 Calorie Snack Pack Almond & Walnut Mix
- Fit & Active® 100 Calorie Snack Pack Whole Almonds
- Fit & Active® Caramel Rice Snacks
- Fit & Active® Cheddar Cheese Rice Snacks
- Fit & Active® Lightly Salted Rice Cakes
- Fit & Active No Salt Petite Diced Tomatoes
- Fit & Active Ready to Eat Fat Free Tuna Salad Kit
- Fit & Active® Blueberry Vitality Cereal Bars
- Fit & Active® Chicken Noodle Chunky Style Soup
- Fit & Active® Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Meal Bars
- Fit & Active® Chocolatey Chip Protein Meal Bars
- Fit & Active® Chocolatey Pretzel Vitality Cereal Bars
- Fit & Active® Cookie Dough Protein Energy Bars
- Fit & Active® Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
- Fit & Active® Cream of Mushroom Condensed Soup
- Fit & Active® Double Chocolate Protein Meal Bars
- Fit & Active® Instant Brown Rice
- Fit & Active® Light Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Fit & Active® Light Ranch Dressing
- Fit & Active® Low Fat Raisin Granola
- Fit & Active® Multi-Grain with Flax Flatbread
- Fit & Active® Original Flatbread
- Fit & Active® Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- Fit & Active® Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- Fit & Active® Strawberry Protein Meal Bars
- Fit & Active® Strawberry Vitality Cereal Bars
- Fit & Active® Sugar Free Apricot Preserves
- Fit & Active® Sugar Free Red Raspberry Preserves
- Fit & Active® Sugar Free Strawberry Preserves
- Fit & Active® Vitality Cereal Vanilla Almond
- Fit & Active® Vitality Cereal with Strawberries
- Fit & Active® Yogurt Honey Peanut Protein Energy Bars
Specially Selected - Aldi Gone Gourmet
Aldi's "Specially Selected" brands combine quality ingredients, passion, and imagination. Here is a complete list of their product line:
- Specially Selected Black Forest Ham
- Specially Selected Center Cut Bacon
- Specially Selected Cold Smoked Salmon
- Specially Selected Oven Roasted Turkey
- Specially Selected Prosciutto Panino
- Specially Selected Aged Reserved White Cheddar
- Specially Selected Edam Cheese
- Specially Selected Garden Vegetable & Sweet Basil Hand Crafted Cheese
- Specially Selected Gouda Cheese
- Specially Selected Pepperoni Marinara Hand-Crafted Cheese
- Specially Selected Roasted Garlic with Tomato & Basil Hand-Crafted Cheese
- Specially Selected Smoked Gouda Cheese
- Specially Selected Ahi Tuna Steaks
- Specially Selected Garlic Butter Sauce Mussels
- Specially Selected Jumbo Scallops
- Specially Selected Mini Cream Puffs
- Specially Selected Mini Éclairs
- Specially Selected Natural Mussels
- Specially Selected Sockeye Salmon Fillets
- Specially Selected Super Premium Chocolate Ice Cream
- Specially Selected Super Premium Vanilla Ice Cream
- Specially Selected Tomato Garlic Sauce Mussels
- Specially Selected 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- Specially Selected Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- Specially Selected Blackberry Fruit Spread Made With 75% Fruit
- Specially Selected Blue Cheese Stuffed Queen Olives
- Specially Selected Brioche Buns
- Specially Selected Brown Basmati Rice
- Specially Selected Ciabatta Sandwich Rolls
- Specially Selected French Baguette
- Specially Selected Garlic Naan Bread
- Specially Selected Garlic Salsa
- Specially Selected Garlic Stuffed Queen Olives
- Specially Selected Gourmet Garlic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Specially Selected Gourmet Greek Vinaigrette Dressing
- Specially Selected Gourmet House Vinaigrette Dressing
- Specially Selected Gourmet Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Specially Selected Gourmet Three Cheese Vinaigrette Dressing
- Specially Selected Jalapeño Stuffed Queen Olives
- Specially Selected Jasmine Rice
- Specially Selected Kalamata Olives
- Specially Selected Mango Peach Salsa
- Specially Selected Original Naan Bread
- Specially Selected Premium Mild Roasted Ground Coffee
- Specially Selected Premium Roasted Ground Coffee
- Specially Selected Raspberry Fruit Spread Made With 75% Fruit
- Specially Selected Sliced Brioche Loaf
- Specially Selected Sliced Chocolate Chip Brioche Loaf
- Specially Selected Sourdough Square
- Specially Selected Strawberry Fruit Spread Made With 75% Fruit
- Specially Selected White Basmati Rice
Snacks & Sweets:
- Specially Selected Almond Dark Chocolate Biscotti
- Specially Selected Anise Pizzelle Cookies
- Specially Selected Cheesecake Sampler
- Specially Selected Chocolate Chip Brioche
- Specially Selected Classic Almond Biscotti
- Specially Selected Continental Cookie Assortment
- Specially Selected Dark Chocolate Coated Butter Cookies
- Specially Selected Dark Chocolate Covered Sea Salt Caramels
- Specially Selected Deluxe Mixed Nuts with Sea Salt
- Specially Selected Deluxe Whole Cashews with Sea Salt
- Specially Selected Milk Chocolate Coated Butter Cookies
- Specially Selected Parmesan, Garlic & Herb Pita Chips
- Specially Selected Sea Salt Pita Chips
- Specially Selected Unsalted Deluxe Mixed Nuts
- Specially Selected Unsalted Deluxe Whole Cashews
- Specially Selected Vanilla Cream Brioche
- Specially Selected Vanilla Pizzelle Cookies
Elevation - Fuel Up for Less
Aldi's "Elevation" brands have the same benefits as the national ones, but at a lower price. Here is a complete list of their product line.
- Elevation by Millville Almond Coconut Fruit & Nut Bars
- Elevation by Millville Apple Pie Pure & Simple Bars
- Elevation by Millville Caramel Chocolate Peanut Nougat Advance Bars
- Elevation by Millville Caramel Double Chocolate Advance Bars
- Elevation by Millville Chocolate Chip Energy Bars
- Elevation by Millville Chocolate Peanut Butter High Protein Bars
- Elevation by Millville Chocolate Peppermint Wellness Bars
- Elevation by Millville Chocolate Protein Powder
- Elevation by Millville Coconut Almond Advance Bars
- Elevation by Millville Cranberry Almond Breaktime Bars
- Elevation by Millville Cranberry Almond Fruit & Nut Bars
- Elevation by Millville Crunchy Peanut Butter Energy Bars
- Elevation by Millville Lemon Zest Wellness Bars
- Elevation by Millville Mint Chocolate High Protein Bars
- Elevation by Millville Nuts & Chocolate Wellness Bars
- Elevation by Millville Peanut Butter Cookie Pure & Simple Bars
- Elevation by Millville Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp Breaktime Bars
- Elevation by Millville Vanilla Protein Powder
- Elevation by Millville White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Energy Bars
Pueblo Lindo - Hispanic Favorites
Here is a complete list of Aldi's south of the border favorites:
- Pueblo Lindo Black Beans
- Pueblo Lindo Burrito Flour Tortillas
- Pueblo Lindo Casera Style Tostadas
- Pueblo Lindo Chipotle Peppers
- Pueblo Lindo Fajita Flour Tortillas
- Pueblo Lindo Flour Tortillas
- Pueblo Lindo Fresco Cheese
- Pueblo Lindo Green Enchilada Sauce
- Pueblo Lindo Instant Corn Masa Mix
- Pueblo Lindo Party Size Tortilla Strips
- Pueblo Lindo Pinto Beans
- Pueblo Lindo Premium Coconut Ice Cream Bars
- Pueblo Lindo Premium Mango Ice Cream Bars
- Pueblo Lindo Premium Strawberry Ice Cream Bars
- Pueblo Lindo Red Enchilada Sauce
- Pueblo Lindo Taquitos Rolled Chips
- Pueblo Lindo White Corn Tortillas
Connoisseur Wines at Penny-Pincher Prices
Aldi has brought the finest wines from across the globe to you – for less. Here is a list of their red, white, rosé, and sparkling wines.
- 30 Miles Cabernet Sauvignon
- Artifakt Red Blend
- Bridge Road Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bridge Road Vineyards Merlot
- Bridge Road Vineyards Pinot Noir
- Broken Clouds Pinot Noir
- Burlwood Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
- Burlwood Cellars Merlot
- Burlwood Cellars Pinot Noir
- Copperwood Merlot
- Copperwood Merlot
- Crystal Creek Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon
- Dancing Flame Red Blend
- Flirty Bird Red Blend
- Moiselle Red Moscato
- Moiselle Sweet Red
- Outlander Cabernet Sauvignon
- Outlander Meritage
- Pillar Heights Cabernet Sauvignon
- Ruzzare Lambrusco
- Sargent Canyon Cabernet Sauvignon
- Scarlet Path Lodi Zinfandel
- Stormchaser Red Blend
- Tailslide Pinot Noir
- Viña Fuerte Tempranillo
- William Wright Reserve Pinot Noir
- Winking Owl Cabernet Sauvignon
- Winking Owl Merlot
- Winking Owl Red Blend
- Winking Owl Shiraz
- Bridge Road Vineyards Chardonnay
- Bridge Road Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc
- Broken Clouds Chardonnay
- Burlwood Cellars Chardonnay
- Coastal Cove Sauvignon Blanc
- Crystal Creek Cellars Chardonnay
- Crystal Creek Cellars Riesling
- Essenza di Vita Pinot Grigio
- Flirty Bird Sauvignon Blanc
- Giretto Pinot Grigio
- Kelly’s Crossing Sauvignon Blanc
- Moiselle Moscato
- Tangled Vines Chardonnay
- Villanella Pinot Grigio
- William Wright Chardonnay
- Winking Owl Chardonnay
- Winking Owl Moscato
- Winking Owl Pinot Grigio
- Winking Owl White Blend
- Bridge Road Vineyards White Zinfandel
- Moiselle Pink Moscato
- Winking Owl White Zinfandel
- Arosa Sparkling Moscato Rosé
- Belletti Prosecco
- Burlwood Cellars Extra Dry Sparkling
- Chiaré Blanc de Blancs
- Grandi Mori Valdobbiadene Prosecco
- Maison de Joie Brut Sparkling
- Moiselle Sparkling Moscato Spumante
Miscellaneous Facts about Aldi:
1. Aldi has partnered with Instacart and is now testing grocery delivery in Atlanta, Dallas, and Los Angeles. Customers can order groceries from Aldi online and receive their deliveries in as little as one hour. "Our partnership with Instacart is another example of ALDI expanding our commitment to customer convenience and value," said Jason Hart, CEO of ALDI. "We know customers are looking for new ways to save time and money. Instacart provides easy access to our low prices at the click of a button."
2. Aldi is now making grocery shopping faster and easier by accepting Apple Pay, Android Pay, and all other forms of contactless payment at all of their 1,700 stores nationwide. "We're continually innovating to provide our customers a faster, more efficient shopping experience that saves them time and money," said Jason Hart, CEO of ALDI. "Shoppers love ALDI because we build and run stores they can shop quickly. Contactless payment makes shopping at ALDI that much faster and more convenient."
3. Aldi expects to have more than 2,000 USA stores in operation by the end of 2018. They also plan to remodel and expand more than 1,300 existing stores by 2020.
4. Do Aldi stores have gift cards? Yes. The Aldi gift card may be used just like cash toward purchases at any Aldi location. It is not redeemable for cash and cannot be replaced if it is lost, stolen, or used without your authorization. Aldi gift cards are available at the checkstand.
5. Perhaps you have noticed that Aldi brands have more than one barcode. This enables the cashier to scan your groceries faster and to get you through the checkstand quicker. For example, the Aldi brands of distilled white vinegar, organic apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice have two barcodes apiece. Giant Eagle’s comparable brands only have one.
6. Their hours of operation are more limited than a traditional grocery store. For example, most Giant Eagle stores in the greater Pittsburgh area are open from 6:00 AM to midnight seven days a week. On the other hand, most Aldi stores are open from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Monday through Saturday and from 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM on Sundays. In addition, Aldi stores are closed on New Year’s Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
7. Aldi stocks refrigerated items such as milk, eggs, and yogurt from behind the racks.
8. They also have a double money back guarantee. According to Aldi:
If, for any reason, you are not 100 percent satisfied with any product, we will offer a Double Guarantee where we will gladly replace the product AND refund your money. To receive the Double Guarantee, the product packaging and any unused product must be returned to your local ALDI Store Manager.
The Double Guarantee does not apply to non-food ALDI Find items, alcohol, national brands and non-quality related issues.
9. Aldi has excellent customer service. For example, when I cannot find something, I always ask and an Aldi employee physically takes me to whatever I am looking for. Furthermore, the cashiers are always friendly and professional.
Aldi's Free App
Enhance your Aldi shopping experience by downloading their free app. Features include:
- With just one click you can have the latest Aldi Finds right at your fingertips.
- Get your weekly ads faster.
- Be among the first to know Aldi’s latest price reductions.
- Use Aldi’s shopping list tool to create your list of must-have items.
- Find Aldi stores from your current location with their addresses and store hours.
Examples of Aldi's Rock-Bottom Prices:
(Author’s note: Grocery prices at Aldi, Giant Eagle, and CVS are subject to change at any time. In addition, Giant Eagle is the major grocery store chain for the greater Pittsburgh area.)
- A 32-ounce bottle of private-label lemon juice costs $1.99 at Aldi. You would pay as much as $3.69 for the same size of the name brand at Giant Eagle.
- A 16-ounce can of store-brand pork and beans costs 49 cents at Aldi. You would pay up to 99 cents for a comparable size of the private label at Giant Eagle.
- A 16-ounce can of private-label chili beans costs 59 cents at Aldi. You would pay as much as $1.39 for the same size of the name brand at Giant Eagle.
- An eight-ounce package of store-brand refrigerated cheddar cheese costs as little as $1.49 at Aldi and as much as $2.99 at Giant Eagle.
- A 4.25-ounce jar of private-label ground cinnamon costs $1.19 at Aldi. You would pay up to $1.99 for 1.87 ounces of the store brand at CVS when it is not on sale. That’s a potential savings of almost 74%.
- A 4.25-ounce jar of store-brand paprika also costs $1.19 at Aldi. At CVS, you would pay up to $1.99 for 1.87 ounces of the private label when it is not on sale. Again, that’s a potential savings of almost 74%.
- A 20-ounce jar of store-brand yellow mustard costs 79 cents at Aldi. You would pay up to $1.99 for a comparable size of the name brand at Giant Eagle.
- A 5.75-ounce jar of private-label pimento olives costs $1.29 at Aldi. You would pay as much as $2.99 for the same size of the store brand at Giant Eagle.
- A 42-ounce box of private-label whole grain oats costs $2.39 at Aldi. You would pay up to $4.99 for the same size of the name brand at Giant Eagle and even more at CVS.
- A 16-ounce jar of store-brand dry roasted peanuts costs $1.99 at Aldi. You would pay as much as $4.99 for the same size of the name brand at Giant Eagle and much more at CVS.
- One dozen eggs cost as little as 69 cents at Aldi and as much as $1.99 at both Giant Eagle and CVS.
- A 32-ounce bottle of private-label distilled white vinegar costs 79 cents at Aldi. You would pay up to $2.99 for the same size of the name brand at Giant Eagle. That’s a potential savings of nearly 74%.
- A one-pound bag of radishes costs 99 cents at Aldi and as much as $2.49 at Giant Eagle.
- You can buy three cucumbers for as little as 99 cents at Aldi but pay triple the price at Giant Eagle.
- You can buy an eight-ounce package of whole mushrooms for $1.29 at Aldi but pay up to $2.99 at Giant Eagle.
- A 10 ¼-ounce bag of store-brand potato chips costs $1.49 at Aldi. You would pay as much as $4.29 for a comparable size of the name brand at both Giant Eagle and CVS.
- At CVS, you would pay $2.99 for a 32-ounce bottle of Fabuloso household cleaner. At Aldi, you would pay the exact same price for a 56-ounce bottle. That’s a potential savings of nearly 61 per cent.
Here are some of Aldi’s advertised specials for September, 2017:
- Pennsylvania whole white mushrooms - 69 cents per 8-ounce package
- Tomatoes on the vine - $1.29 per 24-ounce package
- Multi-colored peppers - $1.89 per three pack
- California green grapes - 89 cents per pound
- California strawberries - $1.69 per 16-ounce package
- Family pack chicken breasts - $1.69 per pound with a 5-pound average weight
- St. Louis pork spareribs - $1.99 per pound
- 80% lean ground beef - $2.99 per pound
- Center cut pork chops - $3.49 per pound
- Casa Mamita salsa (medium or mild) - $1.29 per 24-ounce jar
- Mama Cozzi’s original thin crust pizza (assorted varieties) - $1.99 per 14.5 - 16.9 package (frozen)
- Little Salad Bar guacamole - $2.49 per 16-ounce package (assorted varieties)
- Simply Nature organic yellow corn tortilla chips - $1.69 per 11-ounce package
- Savoritz thin wheat crackers (original or reduced fat) - 99 cents per 8.5 - 9.1 ounce package
- Parkview cocktail sausages - $2.29 per 14-ounce package
- Specially selected mixed nuts (unsalted or with sea salt) - $11.99 per 30-ounce package
- Kirkwood chicken wings (honey BBQ or buffalo) - $5.49 per 28-ounce package (frozen)
- Easy Home broom or mop assortment for $4.99
- Easy Home hamper turns carry bag for $7.99
- Easy Home rechargeable cordless sweeper for $19.99
- Easy Home microfiber duster for $2.99
Kid’s bed & bath:
- Easy Home kids’ hanging closet organizers for $4.99
- Little Journey children’s toilet seat or step stool for $4.99
- Huntington Home 8-piece washcloth set for $3.49
- Huntington Home 60″ scarecrow assortment for $4.99
- Huntington Home indoor string lights for $5.99
- Huntington Home Halloween or harvest towel assortment for $3.99
- Crofton 1.75 quart cast iron saucepan for $14.99
- Crofton soup mug for $3.99
What Not to Buy at Aldi:
Here are several grocery items that you should not buy at Aldi because you can find better quality and/or value elsewhere:
Coffee - If you’re a coffee snob, you will have better luck at Trader Joe’s or even Whole Foods.
Fabric softener sheets - You will find better quality and value with the Target brand.
Meat - Like other Aldi shoppers in the greater Pittsburgh region, I prefer to buy ground beef and chicken at Giant Eagle because the quality is much higher.
Paper goods - You will find better quality and value at Target. Don’t forget to use your Target RedCard as well as manufacturer’s coupons.
What Aldi Shoppers Have to Say:
Here are five customer reviews of the Aldi store located in Pittsburgh’s Shadyside/Friendship neighborhood:
"You can still get organic eggs, milk, meat and veggies if that's your thing and not spend the money you would at Giant Eagle. Also, I LOVE their cheese selection! They have SO MANY!!! They have a good selection of spices as well, which are usually very pricey at a typical grocery store. They have a small amount of housewares which changes pretty regularly, but you can get a great deal on some appliances and organizational items." - Colleen S.
“I've been shopping Aldi for several years now, and actually haven't set foot in a Giant Eagle . . . unless I needed something REALLY odd that absolutely could NOT be found anywhere else. I would travel to the burbs to hit an Aldi, before going a mile for a Giant Eagle.” – William M.
“The Shadyside store is clean and easy to navigate and the employees are generally very friendly and even though you must bring your own bags and bag your own groceries the checkout line process is much quicker than expected - I've had to wait longer at Giant Eagle or Whole Foods in lines that had baggers so that part is nice.” - Nova S.
“It's a great place to stock up on things like rice, pasta, canned goods, and snacks.” – Julie R.
“I have to commend the planners of this Aldi for re-purposing an old structure; a very uncommon practice for a chain store. The design efficiently uses the space, with self-contained parking” – Heidi S.