20 Ways You Can Reuse Disposable Shower Caps
What Can You Do With an Old Shower Cap?
Shower caps. You know those funny looking plastic hats that we wear to keep our hair from getting wet whilst....yep, showering.
How many do you have in your house?
Be honest. I bet you think you have none, or maybe one, but if you dig deep, deep into your cupboard I bet you have a dozen or so 'hotel' shower caps that you 'borrowed' from your last hotel stay.
You take them (admit it) because you think they may come in handy. Then you come home, unpack your bags and forget about them completely. They collect dust along with their cousins, the mini sewing kit, the soap, shampoo and bath gel, the folding toothbrush and lets not forget the handy 'must-have' nail file kit.
If you are doing a spring clean, take a moment to re-consider what you are going to do with them. Before you throw them out, pass them off as a christmas stocking filler or flog them off at your next garage sale, you may actually be able to use your hotel disposable shower cap(s) in and around the home in more ways than one.
In fact, here are 20 ways to reuse the humble old shower cap!
20 Ways to Reuse Disposable Shower Caps
1. Portable vase. Fill the cap with a cup or so of water, place the flower stems inside the water 'bowl' and then fasten the elastic around the stems.
2. Piping bag. If you are doing a spot of cooking and need to ice your cupcakes with a piping bag, simply use a shower cap. Fill the cap with the icing, wind it into a funnel shape, snip the end and off you go.
3. Travel bag for your shoes. Wrap each shoe in a separate shower cap to protect your clothing from dirty shoes.
4. Raincoat for your shoes. Heading out with some expensive shoes on? And it's raining? Step into your shower caps, one on each foot, and protect your shoes from the rain. Arrive with dry, clean shoes.
5. Wet bag. Use to wrap wet swimwear and goggles in.
6. Hat. Ok, only indoors, but if you are painting, put one on your head to protect your hair from drops of paint. You'll be amazed at how much paint is on it at the end of the day.
7. Parachute. Not for you, for your child's toy soldiers. Attach them to the soldiers, throw into the air and watch them glide to earth.
8. Greenhouse. Cover your seedlings with a shower cap to create warmth and moisture and watch them sprout.
9. Paint Brush. Crunch into a ball, dip into paint and use to create an interesting effect on paper.
10. Missing a lid? If you need to quickly and temporarily cover food but you cannot find the matching lid? A shower cap will do the trick.
11. Keep the flies away. iI you are having an outdoor function, picnic or bbq, use a shower cap to cover salads, sandwiches or plates of food. People may laugh but at least the flies will stay away.
12. Bowl. Out at the park for lunch but forgot your bowl, use your shower cap as a little bowl for chips or nuts (that's assuming you remembered to pack the shower cap!)
13. Dog poop pickup 'glove." Put your hand inside and pick up with ease.
14. Dog water bowl. A quick and easy portable bowl for your dog to drink from.
15. Flower pot saucer. Don't let hanging plants drip water to the floor, place a shower cap under the pot or planter and it will catch all the drips.
16. Ride your bike. Cover your bike seat or helmet in the rain.
17. Protect your hair. If you have done your hair before you put on your dress, top or jumper, put a shower cap on your head and slide your clothes over, it will protect your hairdo.
18. iPhone/iPod/camera case. Wrap your expensive 'toys' in a shower cap before throwing into your bag and protect them until you buy a proper cover or case.
19. Feeling naughty? Makes a perfect (albeit large) water balloon.
20. Still in your hotel room? Use it to cover the remote control. Imagine how many germs are on that!
When all else fails, and you are having a 'good' hair day, use it as a shower cap.
Got any other ideas to add? Feel free to share them below and if they make the cut they may just get added to the list!
Disclaimer: if you work in a hotel or own a hotel or are the maker of these little pint-size multi-use treasures, ignore everything you have just read.
© 2012 WorkAtHomeMums