Kimberly Martis is a Dutch Caribbean freelance writer. She writes about culture, beauty, tv-shows, music, movies, odd jobs, and fiction.
You may not believe it but a lot of people are addicted to shopping on AliExpress. The website has so much to offer and most of the prices are low. Therefore, it's no surprise that the website has many fans. Most people use the website for the sweet deals that it offers, but if you’re not careful, you may end up with a bad buy.
In this article, you will get to know all the ins and outs of AliExpress so you can also enjoy shopping on the website.
Finding the Right Item
Finding the right item on AliExpress can be very frustrating as there are so many choices on the website. To help you find what you’re looking for, the website offers different options.
- Categories: The website has placed all the items that they sell into categories. You can click on the category of your choice to find the item that you’re looking for.
- Search Bar: You can write what you’re looking for in the search bar. Be as specific as possible and the search bar will come up with the item that you’re looking for or something similar to it.
- Prices: Another element of finding the right item is finding it at the right price. Most of the prices on the website are very low. There are some items that are priced higher though. It's up to you how much you pay. Many sell the same items for different prices. So, if you take the time to search through the website you may find a great deal on the item that you want.
- Shipping Costs: Make sure to always check the shipping costs. As some items appear to be cheap but eventually are way more expensive because of the shipping costs that will be added to the regular price of the item.
Fun fact: a lot of the items that are being sold on AliExpress can be customized.
Research Your Seller
Before you order something, you should always do some basic research. This includes reading the feedback other buyers have left the seller. When you read the feedback, you will get to see honest commentary on the item and on the seller's way of communicating.
Another thing that you need to do is look at the photos. Not the photos that the seller uploaded but the photos provided by the buyers. When you look at the photos, you can see how the items look in real life.
These points are very important as it's possible the seller:
Read More From Toughnickel
- may not deliver items
- may deliver broken/damaged items
- may fail to communicate with buyers
- may deliver different items than the ones they claim to sell
And by doing some basic research (reading feedback and looking at photos), you can get to know a lot about the item that you want to buy. Which decreases the risk of buying a damaged or alternative item.
If despite your research you are having a problem with the seller, you can open a dispute. Reasons to open a dispute are:
- not receiving an item
- receiving the wrong item
- receiving a damaged or broken item
After you open a dispute, AliExpress will handle it, but this can be very time-consuming. Therefore, it would be best to do your research. It can save you a lot of time and a headache.
If you see an item at AliExpress that you like, it would be best to buy it right away. Items can be sold out and not get restocked ever again. Besides that, the shipping time is often (very) long, therefore the longer you wait to order, the longer it will take for your item to arrive.
If you are buying a present to give someone during the holidays, it would be best to order it a long time before the holiday. During the holiday season, it gets very busy which results in longer shipping time. Getting an indication of the shipping time is difficult as some items arrive within a week and others within months of ordering.
- Wish List: If you see an item that you like but you don’t want to buy it immediately, you can store it on your wish list. To do this you press on the small heart that is displayed next to the item. If you store an item on your wish list, you can always find it again. They only way the item will disappear from your wish list is when the seller doesn’t sell that item anymore.
- Following: If there is a seller that you really like you can follow their store. By pressing on the star next to their store name you will start following them. After you follow a seller you will receive updates on the new items that they sell.
- History: The history function will show you a calendar with marked days. These are the days that you visited the website and looked at items. The calendar shows you which items you looked at on that day. The calendar only shows you items from the last 30 days though.
- Coupons: You can store all your coupons in one place. Here you can see which coupons you have and how much they are worth. You can share them with friends.
- Newsletter: You can sign up to receive the AliExpress newsletter. This way you will receive e-mails with coupons and news about everything surrounding AliExpress.
Fun fact: AliExpress also has an App. With the App, you can easily access the website from your phone. The app works the same as the website and can be downloaded on all smartphones.
Warning: Buying make-up and medicine on AliExpress might be dangerous. This is because you can’t check who made the make-up, under which circumstances they made them and what the ingredients are. As there is no supervision from an independent supervisor. The same goes for medicine. Besides that, the sellers aren't qualified, pharmacists or doctors. If you need make-up or medicine, it would be best to buy it at a qualified store or pharmacist.
© 2019 Kimberly Martis