Marine Engineering Salary Ranges in India
Marine Engineering Salary in India
Marine engineering describes the type of engineering work done on ships and rigs. Compared to other shore jobs, the pay is quite good. In order to become a marine engineer, you must graduate with a bachelors of technology from a college approved by the Directorate General of Shipping of the Government of India.
This article discusses:
- The different jobs you can do as a marine engineer
- How you become one
- What the pay is like
5 Marine Engineering Ranks
Your salary will be determined in part by your rank. This job has five promotional levels, from bottom to top:
- Fifth Engineer or Engineering Cadet
- Fourth Engineer
- Third Engineer
- Second Engineer
- Chief Engineer
Salary Ranges by Rank
These are the average salary ranges by rank. The figures are salaries paid per month in Indian Rupee and US Dollars:
- Fifth Engineer or Engineering Cadet: Rs 35 to 75 thousand INR per month; or 300 to 1200 USD per month
- Fourth Engineer: Rs 1.5 to 2.25 lacs INR; or 2000 to 4000 USD per month
- Third Engineer: Rs 2.75- 3.5 lacs INR; or 4000 to 5900 USD per month
- Second Engineer: Rs 4 to 5 lacs INR; or 7500 to 9500 USD per month
- Chief Engineer: Rs 5 lacs and above INR per month; or 10,000 USD and above per month
The salaries are usually paid when the seafarer is on the vessel. No salary is paid when the sailor is at home / vacation.
Although some companies pay their sailors every month and even when they are not sailing but the average salaries comes to about same.
How to Become a Marine Engineer
In order to become a marine engineer, you must receive a bachelor's degree of either engineering or technology in marine engineering from an approved training college. The Indian Ministry of Shipping maintains a list of 133 approved marine training colleges in the country, organized by region, and including both government-run and private schools.
Requirements for Marine Training Colleges
The general eligibility for the degree, regardless of where you are trained, includes the following educational requirements:
- A pass in Plus Two with a 60% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry, and Maths.
- Good marks (usually 50%) in English.
- Most schools have an entrance exam. Most, including the best-known colleges—T.S. Chanakya in Mumbai and the Marine Engineering Research Institute (MERI) in Kolkata—use the Joint Entrance Examination given through IIT.
- Training colleges usually conduct interviews and psychometric tests for potential candidates.
As working at sea can sometimes be strenuous, candidates for marine training colleges must meet certain physical standards, which are determined by the Merchange Shipping Meidcal Examination Rules.
- No younger than 17 and no older than 25, with 5 years of relaxation for candidates from Scheduled Castes or Scheduled Tribes.
- Good eyesight with no color blindness or impaired field of vision.
- No impairment in hearing.
- Weight of no less than 42 kilograms and height of at least 150 centimeters.
- Good dental health.
- Mentally stable and in good psychological condition.
- Be otherwise in good health as determined by a medical examination.
- There are no gender restrictions for marine engineering training.
- Candidates should be unmarried by time of commencement.
- Indian citizenship, though a few foreign candidates may receive special permission from the Ministry of Shipping.
Why Is the Salary So High?
Marine engineering curriculums are very similar to those in mechanical engineering. You will be trained to be a practical engineer and learn to work with the giant marine engines and auxiliary machines on board merchant vessels.
It's a very technical job where you have to make time-sensitive decisions in order for the ship to run in good shape. Ship travel is enormously expensive, and mistakes can cost a shipping company millions. This is why, as an engineer, you will be paid such a large amount to maintain the ship's machinery.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Which of the entrance exams do I face for Marine Engineering?
For each country it is different; search more for your specific country's requirement. In India, it's IMU CET.Helpful 45
Is B.E Marine engineering is enough to become a captain on a ship?
To become a ship's captain you need to do a nautical BSC course. You become a chief engineer with a BTech marine degree.Helpful 45
Which college in India is good for marine engineering ?
In India, you can go to Meri Kolkata, and Tolani Maritime for the same.Helpful 22
What is the highest salary of a marine engineer?
Upward of 15000 USD or 11lakhs inr / month.Helpful 15
What is the minimum salary a Marine Engineer makes in India?
For cadet it starts from 300USD /month, for junior engineer somewhere from 800USD/month. It also varies company to company.Helpful 59
© 2011 Raghvendra