America's Richest Town: Westlake Texas, Home of the Jonas Brothers
Fast Growth Around Dallas, Texas
Throughout 2009 to the present, the State of Texas has contained the largest number of fast-growing cities in the nation. It also experienced the largest influx of workers and families from other parts of the country.
Texas as a state was much less adversely affected by the Great Recession than were most other states; numbers of jobs listed increased in several cities, including the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro Area.
On January 19, 2011, Forbes.com declared Westlake, northwest of Dallas, the richest town in the country, with a median annual income of $250,000; the city has stayed in that high ranking spot.
The online magazine reported that the town is home to the Jonas Brothers, wealthy CEOS of major corporations, well-paid athletes, and other high wage earners. The town reports a population of only 703 residents but features its own aircraft runway for their use.
Westlake Founded as a Master Planned Community
Begun by about two dozen families in 1847 when the American railroads began to proliferate, what is now called Westlake has grown consistently. About 100 years later, the Town of Westlake was established around the Circle T Ranch and others.
As a Master Planned Community, the town continued to expand and develop through residential neighborhoods and commercial districts. In approximately 50 more years, Westlake was named one of 14 Certified Scenic Cities in Texas in 2010. The town is known for its natural landscapes, flowers, and the development of the local Circle T Ranch lands.
Citizen Surveys were administered in 2009 and 2010 in order to determine residents' satisfaction with the the town as a guide for moving forward with improvements. Th master plan continues to move forward and is conducted by city leaders and community developers.
- A family park at Glenwyck Farms housing development includes a colorful, large replica of Noah's Ark for climbing and play among 14 acres of tall pecan and oak trees.
- Circle T Ranch - A new master-planned community within a master planned community. Corporate campuses, upscale residential units, new shopping complex, 2,500 acres scenic landscape.
- National Cowgirl Hall of Fame - Fort Worth TX. Inductee Joyce Roach has written about Westlake history and development.
- Stagecoach Hills - This is a housing development in Westlake that dates back to the stagecoach era of America. Located on the site of a former stagecoach trail, the neighborhood is recognized for the number of aircraft parked in it.
The local Entrada mixed-use development will be completed by Summer 2019 to resemble the Catalonia area of Spain. It will include canals, a lake, a sports stadium, a commercial and residential area, and many other features.
Local Bed and Breakfast Inns
- Grapevine TX Bed Breakfast Dallas Texas Vacation Fort Worth B&B
Experience a romantic Bed and Breakfast in Dallas, Texas near Grapevine Lake. This delightful getaway is conveniently located to nearby attractions: Grapevine Mills Mall, golfing, fishing, and Gaylord Resort Conference Center.
- Texas Pet Bed and Breakfast
A lovely dog & cat boarding facility in Argyle, Texas. A quality dog boarding facility for your pet in Texas.
Employment Market and Job Listings
Major job search engines counted over 50,000 positions listed for Westlake at the end of Summer 2017, not including the hidden job market, primarily in the Dallas suburbs listed on the map above.
Listed local jobs include positions with annual salaries of $100,000 and more, within the companies of:
- Charles Schwab's Regional Headquarters: 5,000 new jobs total.
- HCA Healthcare,
- Citigroup, and
- NAA - The Lampe Company.
In the near future, the accounting corporation Deloitte will add to its $300 Million training facility in Westlake, called Deloitte University. The huge Fidelity Investment company HQ is already located in town.
Major Hiring Companies with Well Paid Jobs
- IBM: Positions advertised at up to $120K+ yearly.
- Deloitte: Career positions up to $140K+ yearly, and professional development through a company university.
- JPMorgan Chase: Salaries up to $100K+ yearly
- HCA/HCA North Texas: Jobs up to $110K+ yearly
- Texas Health Resources
- Ernst & Young
- Medical Connections
- Matrix Resources
- Baylor Health Care System
- Methodist Health System
- Home Depot
- Hewlett Packard
Several corporations have begun ongoing professional development programs that they have called "universities" and McDonald's Hamburger University was one of the first.
While not an actual university, some of the completed coursework connected with Hamburger University and Deloitte University have been accepted for college credit. Deloitte's facility is a popular educational and social interaction venue that covers an expanse of over 100 acres of land.
A video shows the finished project. The completed educational complex will feature not only educational and related spaces, but also hundreds of guest rooms, dining facilities, hiking trails, other recreation areas, and additional offerings. All this is constructed under Gold level LEED for sustainability and Grand Opening was a success.
Top 15 High Demand Jobs
- Physical Therapist, Full-time; Physical Therapy Assistants & Aides, Part-time Therapists, Travel positions
- Project Managers
- Registered Nurses - RNs
- Inside and Outside Sales Representatives
- Account Executives
- Nursing Assistants, Aides and other support positions
- Business Analysts
- Retail Salespeople
- Administrative Assistants
- Managers and Assistant Managers
Because of NASA's Houston Space Center and a rise in engineering advances in the state, the Greater Dallas Area has become a center for growing aerospace development. SpaceX began construction of a privately owned spaceport in the Brownsville Area in 2017. Other companies in related business that are hiring the most workers include:
- Lockheed Martin
- Rockwell International and Rockwell Collins
- Triumph Group
- L-3 Communications
- IHS Markit
- Sanmina Corporation
- BBA Aviation
- America's Richest Cities. Forbes Magazine. The foundation data for this ranking comes from the US Census Bureau, Census2000, Census2010, and estimates drom 2011 through 2017. Statistics are based on median household incomes found in surveys administered 2005 through 2009. All of these median incomes are higher than competing publications' findings from other sources.
- Author's analysis of job listings crawled by Simply Hired and Indeed from 2015 through 2017.
- Westlake Chamber of Commerce. www.nwmetroportchamber.org/westlake Retrieved August 17, 2017.