Nitin is a certified life coach, executive coach, writer, husband, and father. His passion is to help people become their best version.
If you want to achieve anything significant in life, then you need to learn how to set and accomplish goals.
Goals are milestones that you need to pass on your journey in life.
It’s very important to have goals and plans in your life so you can move forward without getting distracted.
I want to share with you a few things that will help you to set attainable goals for your life.
Personal goals have to do with your personal life, and they could be anything under the sun.
- It could be learning a new skill like motor driving.
- Learning to cook a new recipe or learning a new sport.
- It could be learning about weight loss.
- It could be learning to undertake intermittent fasting or undertake a keto diet.
- Your personal goal could be building good relationships with your parents, spouses, and siblings.
- You may want to get further education: a new degree or certification.
- Another personal goal that you may have is to take care of your finances more in a responsible manner.
- Financial goals may also include earning more, saving more, spending less.
- Planning your finances in such a way that you are not overspending money.
- You may want to plan in such a way that you will have enough savings and investments.
- Some people have goals like traveling to new places around the world. It may be revisiting some places that they have already traveled to in the past.
In short, personal goals could be anything under the sun that concerns you as a person.
I have categorized the second set of goals as business goals.
Business goals could include the following:
- Starting a new website.
- Increasing revenue streams.
- Learning new marketing skills: FB ads, Google ads, Bing ads.
- Starting a new YouTube channel.
- Learning social media marketing.
- Getting more traffic to your website, product, or service.
How to Set Realistic, Attainable Goals
I share below some important things that will help you to decide which goals you want to set up for yourself.
I also share how to achieve them.
1. Your Goals Should Be S.M.A.R.T.
To make sure your goals are clear and reachable, each one should be:
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant): Goals have to be very specific and clear. This is so you can understand what exactly you want to achieve.
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating): Goals need to be measurable to gauge the advancements done.
- Achievable (agreed, attainable): Goals should not be so big that you can never achieve them. They should be reasonable enough to be achievable.
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic, results-based): The goals you set should be relevant to your vision and life purpose. Only then will they make sense.
- Time-bound (time-limited, time-sensitive): Finally, your goals should be time-bound. If there are no time limits, then the goals have no meaning. They have to be accomplished in a given period of time to be effective.
Read More From Toughnickel
2. Your Goals Should Be in Sync With Your Purpose in Life
Your goals should be in alignment with your purpose in life.
Your ultimate goal is to fulfill your life purpose.
But to achieve it, you need to set up your goals in such a way that you can get there with ease and in a systematic manner.
After having considered your life purpose, you need to work on your goals.
3. Create a Goal Card
Many motivators and life coaches prescribe one great strategy. It helps in formulating your goals and making them clear in your own mind.
This method is to make small cards and write your goals on those cards. Then keep these cards in your pocket or in your wallet as a constant reminder of your goals.
It also helps to keep these cards in places where you see them every day as a mirror or refrigerator.
The idea is to remind yourself and to etch these goals in your subconscious mind.
It is a reminder that these are the goals that you have to achieve in a particular period.
This method is very helpful to achieve the goals within the given time.
4. Be Accountable to a Close Friend or a Group
Nothing helps you in accomplishing your goals more than having someone hold you accountable.
These are called accountability partners or accountability groups.
Being accountable to someone keeps you alert that they will ask you uncomfortable questions. It relates to the accomplishment of your goals.
This may be an uncomfortable way of doing things but in the long run, it’s going to only help you.
So go ahead and decide whom you would like to have as your accountability partner.
Choose someone who you trust and who will be very honest with you to help you achieve your goals.
5. Don’t Be Overwhelmed When Obstacles Come Your Way
As you pursue your goals, don’t be surprised if you face roadblocks. The way to success is paved with roadblocks.
The earlier you understand this, the better it will be for you.
So when you face seemingly insurmountable obstacles, don’t let them overwhelm you. Only find your way out.
With every obstacle, there will be a way out; you need to find out where it is.
6. Massive Action Is Necessary for the Goals to Translate Into Reality
Setting up goals is one thing but accomplishing them is a different thing.
If you want to achieve your goals in the time frame that you want to, then you have to take action. And you have to take massive action.
Only thinking about your goals and looking at them every day will not get the job done. You will have to follow up on your goals with solid, measurable action daily.
7. Evaluate Your Performance on a Quarterly Basis
Now that you have set up your goals and you're also looking at them every day, follow up with massive action.
The next thing to do is to check your performance on a regular basis.
On a regular basis means monthly, quarterly, or biannually.
If you don’t check your performance, then you will not be able to know how far you have come and how far you need to go.
Go into the new year fully equipped and prepared to achieve something significant in your life.
Let these guidelines help you to set up the right goals and move another level up in your life.
Goals. There's no telling what you can do when you get inspired by them. There's no telling what you can do when you believe in them. There's no telling what will happen when you act upon them.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Nitin Khaire
Nitin Khaire (author) from Mumbai on December 31, 2019:
Thank you so much Carolyn for your wonderful feedback. Yes, the acronym SMART can be interpreted in the way you have described. It's a rather interesting angle too. Thank you for taking the time to read my article. I appreciate it very much
Carolyn Fields from South Dakota, USA on December 31, 2019:
Wonderful article. I especially appreciated your discussion of SMART goals - and how the letters mean different things to different people. I prefer Specific, Measurable, Aligned (to life purpose), Realistic, and Time-bound. It's all there - just a slightly different take. The bottom line is ACTION. All the planning in the world will not help without concrete action.
Prantika Samanta from Kolkata, India on December 19, 2019:
Goals are important to set to execute any task. Setting goals
and working towards them help us achieve our targets and lead a satisfied life. Sometimes in life, when we go through trying times, we need to set goals to come out of frustration.
Vidya21 on December 19, 2019:
Thanks for featuring the 7 points for accomplishing goals. Helpful hub.
Prateek Jain from Madhya Pradesh, India on December 19, 2019:
U discussed all the important elements in best way. Very nice sir.