How to Change Your Social Security Disability Benefits Address

Updated on February 10, 2018

Social Security Administration and a Change of Address

Social Security Disability benefits are cash payments the Social Security Administration sends to thousands of disabled Americans. To be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance, the disabled individual must have worked and paid income taxes a sufficient number of years prior to becoming disabled. If you receive SSDI benefits, you get your payments each month either via direct deposit, or a monthly check in the mail.

The Social Security Administration must have your current, most up-to-date information in your records to send you your benefits each month. If you make any changes to your address or contact information and don't notify Social Security, your benefits payment could be seriously delayed.

Fortunately, if you're moving, the Social Security Administration has several ways you can notify them of your change of address.

Before You Contact the Social Security Administration

Prior to letting the Social Security Administration know of your move, you must have several pieces of information to make your change of address go as smoothly as possible.

  1. A new address
    You must secure your permanent address for the Social Security Administration to start sending your checks and any related correspondence to the new address. You should have already signed a lease and be absolutely certain you're moving to the address. The Social Security Administration may take several weeks to process your information, during which your benefits payments may be delayed. If you change your mind or make a mistake when reporting the new address, your payments could be delayed by a month or longer. Ensure that you know your new address' zip code.
  2. A valid phone number
    If you'll be using a new phone number in your new home, be sure that you know what it is prior to making the change with the SSA, in case Social Security needs to contact you over the phone with any questions about your change of address.
  3. Your SSDI case information
    You'll need your SSDI case information, along with personally identifying information like your Social Security number and date of birth, to make any changes. If you have a Social Security password, you should have that on hand, too - it'll make the process go a lot smoother.

Changing Your Social Security Disability Address Online

The easiest way to change your address for your SSDI Benefits is through the online system.

  1. Head over to the "Change Your Address" section of the SSA's website, found here.
  2. Read the text to make sure you're eligible to change your address online. Some restrictions will apply, such as if you're moving out of the country.
  3. If you have a password for use on, click the button that says "Use My Social Security Password to Change My Address." If you don't have a password, click "Change My Address Without Using a Social Security Password" instead.
  4. Log in to the Social Security system following the on-screen instructions. To access your case information, enter your Social Security number and other identifying information, such as your date of birth, current phone number and current mailing address. This is your old address, not the one you're moving to.
  5. Enter the date you're moving or expect to change addresses. If you've already moved, put today's date, and the SSA will process it as soon as possible.
  6. Enter your new mailing address and new phone number. If you're keeping the same phone number, there's no need to make any changes to that field.
  7. Finish submitting your information following the on-screen instructions on the site. Your change of address will be processed in several weeks' time.

Who Can't Change Addresses Online

There are a few circumstances under which the Social Security Administration doesn't allow you to use the online form to change your address for your disability benefits.

  • Supplemental Security Insurance Recipients
    If you receive SSI, you can't change your address online or over the phone. You can only change your address by visiting your local social security office in person. I recommend visiting the location nearest to your new address.
  • If You Have an APO, FPO or Foreign Address
    If your old or new address is an APO or FPO address, or it's out of the country, you'll have to follow some special instructions to change your address on file. Visit the "Social Security Around the World" link in the link list for more details.
  • If You are a Representative Payee
    If you receive SSDI benefits on behalf of someone else as a representative payee, you can't change your address online or over the phone. Like SSI recipients, you must visit a social security office location in person with all the required documentation and ID to make the change.


    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No comments yet.