WriterJJ is an accomplished freelancer at Upwork and spends free time writing informative posts to help other freelancers.
What to Expect on This PayPal-RCBC Guide
Since this post is very detailed and quite long, below is a bulleted breakdown of what to expect from this Paypal-to-RCBC (and vice versa) guide:
- How to apply for an RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card
- Requirements for getting the card
- How to link and verify your PayPal account using the newly acquired RCBC card. You must link to your PayPal account "without credit card," since MyWallet VISA card is not that type of card.
- How to acquire the PayPal EXPUSE Code from RCBC
- How to add the MyWallet VISA card to a PayPal account
- How to withdraw PayPal funds to a recently added RCBC card
- Important tips and things to remember
How to Remove Paypal’s "Withdrawal Limit" Message
If you have just recently signed up for PayPal, your account is probably not yet verified.
It's important to know that unverified PayPal accounts have some limitations. One such limitation is being unable to withdraw funds from PayPal, which can become a problem for some readers (particularly online freelancers). Trying to withdraw PayPal funds with an unverified account may lead to this message “What you are trying to withdraw is greater than your withdrawal limit.”
The above message is usually followed with another message asking you to lift the limit by linking and confirming a debit or a credit card.
If these two messages appear, the reason is probably that your account is not yet verified. If you haven’t gone through the process involving credit cards and verification, then you won’t be able to withdraw your money yet.
Luckily, PayPal cash withdrawal problems due to an account’s unverified status can easily be solved even without using a credit card. If you’re a Philippine resident, then this tutorial will guide you on how to acquire and use RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card to verify your PayPal account.
Be sure to remember the order of items in the checklist below. This method should allow for seamless transactions between PayPal and the specified RCBC card.
Here Is a Checklist of Things You Need to Do
1. Sign up for PayPal (new accounts have unverified status).
2. Get requirements when applying RCBC card.
3. Apply for RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet Visa card.
4. Link RCBC card to PayPal account.
5. Get Expuse code.
6. Verify PayPal account by supplying Expuse code.
7. Add RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet Visa card as a bank account in PayPal.
8. Withdraw PayPal funds to your newly added RCBC bank account.
What Is RCBC and Why Use It With Paypal?
RCBC (Rizal Banking Corporation) is a local bank here in the Philippines, established in 1960.
In 2016, the bank was the center of controversy when it was involved in the multi-million dollar bank laundering heist stolen from the Bangladesh Bank. Because of this, one can assume that the bank has stepped up its security efforts to prevent similar scenarios to happen in the future.
RCBC's so-called MyWallet VISA can double as an ATM card, allows the user cashless shopping, and can also be used for online banking, which is perfect for over-the-web transactions.
Although there are many ways to link a PayPal account to an RCBC account, the steps and instructions presented here seem to be the most convenient way based on personal hands-on experience.
That being said, please ensure reading the entire guide and kindly pay attention to all the details. Your questions may already have been addressed within this post’s contents.
Requirements for Verifying PayPal With an RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet Visa Card
Before we proceed, please make sure that you have already enrolled in the following in order to link and verify your PayPal account with RCBC:
- PayPal Account. PayPal is one of several ways to do transactions online. Please note that one’s account must be verified to fully utilize this particular service.
- RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card. This is the credit card alternative that will be used to verify the PayPal account. If you already own an RCBC credit card under your name, you can use it to save you the trouble of applying for an RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet Visa Card.
Step-by-Step: How to Apply for the RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet Visa Card
It was actually easy for me to apply for an RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card. I simply went to a nearby RCBC Commercial bank and asked for a card that I could link to my PayPal account. Fortunately, the person I talked to was familiar with my inquiry and knew which card to recommend.
The person suggested depositing at least 120 pesos on the card, since PayPal will charge around 101 pesos to verify that the card is legit, not dormant, and has existing funds inside it. Don’t worry though, after PayPal verifies the card, the deducted amount will be returned to the card.
Anyway, just in case the staff you encountered is not familiar with PayPal, here are the instructions one can follow on how to successfully obtain an RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card that can be linked with a PayPal account.
- Prepare one valid ID and have it photocopied. I opted for a voter’s ID and it was accepted. Accepted valid IDs are readily available on the internet, but government-issued IDs are mostly welcomed. Examples of such include:
- Driver's License
- PRC ID
- Government Services and Insurance System (GSIS) e-Card
- SSS Card
- Postal ID
- Voter's ID
- Philhealth Card
- Senior Citizen Card
- OFW ID
- OWWA ID
- Home Development Mutual fund (HDMF) ID
- Next, go to any RCBC Commercial bank (DO NOT GO to an RCBC Savings bank) and ask for an RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card. Don’t forget to mention Mercury Drug, because other kinds of MyWallet VISA card are available and I'm not sure these other types are accepted by PayPal.
- Present your valid ID and fill out an application form. Once done, you will be asked to deposit 120 pesos (as of posting time) into your card. If the bank staff asks for a lesser amount (like 10 pesos) to be deposited, inform him (or her) that you want to deposit at least 120 pesos to your card right away.
- After filling out the form, be sure to write down and remember the details, such as the branch you applied in, mobile number, address, and email address. You will need these details when requesting the EXPUSE code that will be used to verify the PayPal account.
- Once the application is done, it is possible to get the card right away (in the past there was a 3-day waiting time).
- After receiving the card, ask if the card is already activated. You can test it by using it on an ATM machine.
When the RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card is activated, you are one step closer to getting your PayPal account verified.
How to Verify Your PayPal Account Using the RCBC Card
- Go to the PayPal website and log in to your account. Go to “My Account” and click the “Overview” tab.
- Under the welcome message, you will see your account type, status, and your sending/withdrawal limits. Next to your status, you will see “Get Verified” highlighted in blue.
- Click "get verified" and you will be directed to a page where you need to fill out a form about your credit card/debit card. In our case, we will use RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card.
- Be sure to fill out the form correctly to avoid any problem. Also, make sure the details on your RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA card match the details in your PayPal account (particularly full name and billing address). Otherwise, verification will fail. Important information:
- Card type: your card is Visa powered
- Card number: 16 digits found in front of your card, grouped by fours
- Expiry date: located at the bottom right part, on the front of your card
- Security code: 3 digits written in the white rectangle at the back of your card
What and How to Get the EXPUSE Code
Once you followed the instructions above and are done filling out the form, PayPal will automatically send a 4-digit code called the EXPUSE code. You need to contact RCBC to retrieve the EXPUSE code as this is needed for the final step of verifying your PayPal account.
Please remember that there are two ways to acquire the EXPUSE code—via phone support or email.
Phone support is obviously faster as all you need to do is call RCBC at 877-RCBC or 877-7222.
If you opt for email, you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “EXPUSE Code” as the email subject. It is important to include the following information when sending the email:
- Full name
- Card number
- Issuing branch
- Mobile number
- Billing Address
- Date card was linked
- Email address
It took me almost two days to get my EXPUSE code because my email didn't have all the information. However, some were able to get their code faster (within 12 hours) when following the correct email format.
Final Step of the Verification Process:
- Once you have retrieved the EXPUSE code, log into your PayPal account and return to the “get verified” section.
- A form will appear wherein you have to key in the code.
- After supplying the code, your PayPal account status will now change to Verified.
Please take note that PayPal will charge no less than 100 pesos to determine if the card is active. Don't worry, because the amount will be refunded to your PayPal account.
Benefits of Adding the RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet VISA Card as a Bank Account to Your Paypal
If you properly followed this PayPal RCBC guide, your PayPal should already be verified. As a verified PayPal account, you are now entitled to the following benefits:
- Make payments to or transact with any online site that accepts PayPal
- Fund your PayPal account using your linked debit card or credit card
- Transfer your PayPal funds to your bank account
Surely, that last bullet piques the interest of the reader. Although it is possible to transfer your PayPal funds to a local bank, the bank must first be added to your PayPal account. How to do so is described in the next section.
How to Add the RCBC Card Under PayPal Bank Account
This process can be done in three simple steps:
- In your PayPal account, hover your mouse above “Profile” tab. Click "Add/Edit Bank Account" (see Figure 1).
- Fill out the necessary details. For your reference, the bank code for RCBC is 010280014 (see Figure 2).
- Once done, click "Save" (see Figure 3).
Instructions to Withdraw PayPal Funds to an RCBC card
After adding your MyWallet VISA card as a bank account in PayPal, you may now withdraw your PayPal funds to it by following the steps below:
- Log in to your PayPal account and click “Withdraw” under the My Account tab.
- You will be prompted to a page that lets you choose from where to withdraw your funds. Choose the option "Withdraw funds to your bank account"
- A new page will appear where you have to fill out your withdrawal details. Here, put the amount you wish to transfer to your bank account. Please note: for amounts less than 7,000 pesos, there will be a 50-peso fee.
- Select RCBC as your bank account. Then click "Continue."
- Once done, PayPal will show you a summary of your transaction details. Be sure to check it for errors.
- Once you confirm the withdrawal, you will receive an email about this particular transaction.
Instructions for Withdrawing Funds From PayPal
Things to Remember When Transferring Paypal Funds to a Bank Account
- Please remember that if there are errors or any incorrect information, the transfer will likely fail and the amount you wish to withdraw will be refunded to your PayPal account. If this happens, you will be charged a 250-peso fee.
- Although PayPal says that your funds will arrive in your bank in 2-4 business days, it may take longer when making a withdrawal request that will cross over weekends and holidays.
- Wait till the date indicated for when your funds will arrive. It usually arrives in the morning. Use your RCBC Mercury Drug MyWallet Visa card to see if the money is already there.
Did You Read and Understand the Entire Tutorial?
For each question, choose the best answer. The answer key is below.
- Why do you need the Expuse code?
- Because it is the final step in verifying your PayPal
- Because it contains your new password
- Can you withdraw your PayPal funds after verification your RCBC card?
- No. The RCBC card must first be added as a bank account
- Because it is the final step in verifying your PayPal
- No. The RCBC card must first be added as a bank account
- Tutorial: Steps for Transferring from PayPal to BPI
This post will discuss the steps on how to withdraw Paypal funds to BPI (Bank of the Philippines Island) complete with step-by-step pictures - plus other important information.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2015 writerjj
Anyone can comment (even non-members). Post questions and I'll try to answer them.
writerjj (author) on January 25, 2019:
HI Noel Angeles. That is why I also prefer to use Gcash. Next is BPI followed by RCBC
Noel Angeles on January 17, 2019:
The transfer fee for PayPal money withdrawn via rcbc my wallet is PHP 250 standard plus PHP 20 for ATM fee. That's a total of PHP 270 down the drain, which is very unfair. Gcash on the other hand doesn't charge transfers fees only a php 20 charge if you use the gcash ATM to withdraw.
writerjj (author) on August 25, 2018:
Hi Mary Ann - use the email address you supplied during the application process
Hi Karl - it is advisable to use card described in this tutorial
Mary ann on March 11, 2018:
I emailed rcbc and they replied that my address is not match..I can understand..what address they are asking me? Email address or MY address..thanks I am new to this
Karl on May 11, 2017:
Hi I just wanna ask if I can use my rcbc atm card in receiving or withdrawing money that will send to me through paypal. Said that need bank account number I need to sign up paypal and linked that to my bank. But I dont know if my atm card will still work but the rcbc atm card is haven't still used do I need to go the bank to confirm the rcbc atm card. Thank you
writerjj (author) on April 28, 2017:
Hi Charito Maranan-Montecillo,
I think the only way to add money to your PayPal account is if another member transferred funds to you.
PayPal is like a medium that one can use to purchase stuffs online by utilizing the credit card/debit card that is used to it.
For instance, if you bought something online, and your PayPal funds is not enough, the card that is linked to your PP account will be the one that is charged.
Its been a long time since I used RCBC. If I remember correctly, it is 150php.
Anyway, the one that I am currently (and CONVENIENTLY) using is transferring my PayPal to Gcash. Simply search mixjikz's tutorial on how to withdraw paypal to gcash to physical cash
I used BPI's eCreditCard.
Karz on March 28, 2017:
Hi! What kind of bpi card did you used in paypal? Thanks!
ekisman on March 09, 2017:
I just want to confirm because I've read varying amounts but how much will RCBC take away if I withdraw with mywallet linked as a bank account? Some say somewhere within a hundred, some ten pesos while, if I'm not mistaken, you guys are saying there will be no deduction from RCBC. Thank you very much for the guide and for reading this, even more so for answering.
Charito Maranan-Montecillo from Manila, Philippines on February 26, 2017:
Hi, kabayan. Here in the Philippines, how do we add funds from our bank account to our Paypal account? (In my account, I don't see the "Add Money" or "Add Funds" button which is visible in the other Paypal accounts of other nationalities.)
writerjj (author) on December 10, 2016:
There seems to be two possible scenarios. It's either Paypal missed the first transaction or they let it slipped. However, since it is not the standard, they informed you when you did it again. Just my guess though.
I guess the problem has now corrected itself?
I think BDO doesn't support this type of online gig. I'd go for BPI if I were you :)
rosalie on October 05, 2016:
I felt so glad that i am able to look up this site. i already have paypal account and i have recieved funds sent from palpal acct too. its been a month i am having problem how am i able to link a card to withdraw my money in paypal. please please i need your help.
i tried linking my BDO mastercard it is savings acct.paypal rejected it.bdo dont have 9 digit bankcode only 8digit swift code..what must i do?i dont have any credit card too..which is better BPI or RCBC.?
i would appreciate if you will answer this..GOD BLESS
Raine on October 01, 2016:
Same problem here. I withdrew my PayPal funds on September 27, but there's still nothing in my RCBC MyWallet. It's October 2 now. PayPal's email says that it should arrive by October 3 or 4. I don't remember. Am I guaranteed that I will be able to get my funds or will the transaction be reversed? I'm worried this might happen again.
JLC on September 28, 2016:
Hi does anyone here can help me with my problem? Here is the incident, I have a paypal account but dont have yet the Visa or Master Card. So I ask my friend to transfer my funds to her paypal account because she has a RCBC my wallet visa card so that we can withdraw the money from Paypal. We transferred the money last Sept 18, 2016 (Sunday) and we waited almost a week then we received email from paypal Sept 24 (Saturday) that the transaction was canceled because of wrong information and money returned to the Paypal account charged us P250. But we did already transferred funds before why paypal is telling that it is a wrong imformation? And we decided again to tranfer the money from Paypal to RCBC my wallet Sept 26,2016 (monday) and then until now we did not yet receive the money. What do we need to do about this problem? :(
writerjj (author) on August 20, 2016:
It is banking days. Consider also time diff between Phil and US
Web Dev on August 18, 2016:
Hi! Is the 24hrs withdrawal ETA for RCBC MyWallet Visa "Card" also applies on weekends? or just banking days? because if I withdrew it on a friday, it should be on my account within 24hrs? but then Paypal holds the account for atleast 24hrs ("pending" withdrawal) or will it be on next banking days - which means monday and it'll took about 3 days to get to the account (card)
writerjj (author) on August 08, 2016:
If you read and followed the steps above, you can physically get the money your friend sent you through paypal.
Since it is now August 8, I'm assuming you already received your money, yes?
Hi Jester Daniel,
Is the issue still happening or resolved already?
Agree. I always use BPI and use RCBC only as backup
Jenny_c on August 05, 2016:
based on my experience, withdrawing my Paypal to my BPI account has been a swift way for me. I usually receive the money in my BPI account a day after I withdraw it from Paypal.
BPI will charge you 150 only.
Jester Daniel on July 22, 2016:
I want to add my RCBC MyWallet card under PayPal Bank Account but I always get the message "You cannot add a bank at this time." I'm sure I entered all needed information correctly as I carefully followed your steps. Any idea how to solve this? Thanks
Meganadz on July 01, 2016:
This is very helpfull guide.Thank to this man who post this.i follow his guide and i successfully link my wallet mercury drug visa card.But the problem is i withdraw my funds in paypal since june 27 and july 2 2016 still not appear.
Jaka on June 30, 2016:
Hi. Im still confused. My friend from overseas wanted to send me money through paypal. How i can get the money from paypal. I dont have bank accounts yet. How and where to apply
Do i need money from a bank account and how much. But my only concern is how can i received the money needed for emergency. Ty. Pls help.
writerjj (author) on April 30, 2016:
Is your account already verified?
sandy on April 24, 2016:
is this the solution that will get me rid of the "pending balance for up to 21 days" message.??
writerjj (author) on March 24, 2016:
Hi Juan Carlo Toledo,
It would be advisable to verify the account number with RCBC
Hi Richel Mangisay,
Withdrawal limit of RCBC? Are the funds coming from Paypal?
Richel Manginsay on March 10, 2016:
What is the usual withdrawal limit of RCBC my wallet visa card? Because I wanted to maximize it ti 100,000.
Juan Carlo Toledo on February 09, 2016:
Do I need to add RCBC as my bank to withdraw? If yes, the suki card they gave me does not have an account number, only card number. But my card is confirmed and ready to use.
Juan Carlo Toledo on February 09, 2016:
How will I add RCBC bank account when it does not have an account number?
writerjj (author) on December 07, 2015:
Thank you for the inputs/information. Yup, that's one drawback of withdrawing to card. Anyway, choosing the bank option usually takes 3 days for the money to arrive :)
joynb on December 03, 2015:
I just would like to add that there are two ways you can use your RCBC MyWallet prepaid debit card. You can leave it linked as a CARD on your PayPal account. When you withdraw funds, you just select withdraw to CARD. Unfortunately, regardless of the amount of your withdrawal, you will be charged PhP 250.00. However, the transaction is quite super fast (my experience is within 24 hours). I have my own MyWallet on RCBC Access One so I can monitor if it is already credited or not yet.
The second will be for you to link your RCBC MyWallet as a BANK ACCOUNT on PayPal. When withdrawing, this is where the 7,000-limit for fees is applicable. The thing that I am not sure is how fast the transaction gets completed. Unionbank's EON completes it in 2 days I heard.
The general idea is if you withdraw to a Bank Account, if the amount is greater than 7k, it's free. The question is how fast. If you withdraw to a Card, there will always be a 250 peso charge regardless of whether it is above or below 7k. BUT, it's d fastest.
writerjj (author) on September 01, 2015:
Unfortunately, many people have this notion that all card number is also the account number (which is quite valid since it is in some cases). However, just to be sure, please contact RCBC to clarify what is the account number of the card.
Jewel on August 31, 2015:
Is the 16 digit card number you used in verifying your paypal the same with the account number that you used in adding it as a bank account? Confused.. On a regular atm card, card number is different from the account number.
writerjj (author) on August 21, 2015:
I understand your concern. There is always this lingering notion that it wouldn't push through. Luckily, whenever I withdraw my funds, its always a success. Paypal claims that if the process, fails, the funds will be safe but there would be a penalty fee. I suggest, trying to withdraw first a small amount. If it succeeds, proceed with a higher amount. If it failed, revisit all the steps and see what could have gone wrong.
Good luck and thanks for visiting :)
CJ on August 18, 2015:
Good day, thanks for this tutorial.
I followed the steps, but still hasn't had the courage to withdraw my funds through MyWallet VISA.
I messaged RCBC on facebbook and they gave me two options, first is to add as bank account and the second was to add as a card.
If ever I made a mistake, will my funds still be safe?
Thanks a lot! :)
writerjj (author) on June 28, 2015:
Thank you for dropping by.
I usually check on the 3rd day and every time I do, its already there :)
Hope this helps!
Anon on June 25, 2015:
HELLO! :D i found this tutorial very useful! i just have to ask, from your experience, how long did you wait for your money to fully transfer from your card?