Updated date:

How to Replace a Lost or Stolen Social Security Card


As a social service worker for the public for many years, I have guided people in the right direction to repair and deter ID theft.

Learn how to replace your lost or stolen SSN card by visiting your local Social Security Administration office or applying online at SSA.gov.

Learn how to replace your lost or stolen SSN card by visiting your local Social Security Administration office or applying online at SSA.gov.

What Is a Social Security Number?

A Social Security number (SSN) is very important to an individual. If you are assigned an SSN, that means you are allowed to work in the United States of America. That's all.

Some third-party agencies like banks, colleges, credit card companies, and other businesses like to use the SSN as a form of identification, because no one else has your unique SSN. But that is not what the SSN is for. It solely allows a person to be employed.

In some circumstances, an SSN can be assigned to an individual that doesn't allow them to work, and it clearly states that on the card. The Social Security Administration may do this if the individual needs an SSN to be able to receive federal or state government assistance.

How to Replace an SSN Card

Assuming you were already assigned an SSN card, replacing a card is very simple. If you lost your SSN card or had it stolen, all you have to do is go to your nearest Social Security Administration (SSA) office. You can find the nearest office by going to SSA.gov and typing in your zip code in the text box.

You do not have to fill out an application; they will just take walk-ins. If you do want to bring an application, grab the application from SSA.gov. (Click on "2. Fill out and print an application" near the bottom.) You will also need to bring a State ID or driver's license if you are over 18 years of age.


Do not go to any website other than SSA.gov to find or download social security forms. SSA.gov is run by the U.S. federal government. If the website does not end with a .GOV, then you are probably going to a phishing website, and you'll potentially be a victim of ID theft. SSA.gov does not charge for any services or forms. If the website is asking for a price on a form or service you received from them, you are viewing a fraudulent website. Do not pay for anything!

Required Documents for People Over 18

If you are over 18, the only IDs SSA will accept are the following unexpired documents:

  • State ID
  • State driver's license
  • U.S. passport

Also, it would not hurt if you brought in your birth certificate. The birth certificate isn't necessary if your U.S. citizenship is already established, but sometimes SSA may have incorrect biographical data for you (maybe they misspelled your name, or your date or place of birth is incorrect, or your parents on record are wrong). If that is true, then they can use the birth certificate to correct the misinformation, but it is not something that is vital to replacing your card.

If You're Not a U.S. Citizen

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need to also bring your Employment Authorization card or Resident card, depending on your current status with the Department of Homeland Security. If you were a resident alien allowed to work in the country and then you became a U.S. citizen, you will also need to bring your Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship.

If You're Replacing the Card Due to a Name Change

If you want to replace your SSN card because you want to change your name due to marriage or divorce, or you went to the courthouse and officially changed your name, you must bring the name change document along with your valid ID whether it is your new or old name. The name change document must either be the original or certified copy (it usually has a certified seal or a certified stamp). If it's not either or if it is a photocopy, SSA will not change your name.

Quick Summary

To recap, if you're over 18, just walk into your nearest SSA office, with or without an application, and make sure you bring either an unexpired driver's license, state ID, or U.S. passport.


All documents must be the original or a certified copy. SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies. If you do not have original or certified copies or acceptable identification, you will be turned away.

Required Documents for People Under 18

If you lost or had your child's SSN card stolen, the requirements for getting a replacement are the same, but there are some slight differences.

Ages 12 to 18

If the child is between 12 to 18 years of age, they can actually request the cards themselves as long as they have valid ID as mentioned in the Over 18 section of this article. If they don't have a driver's license, state ID, or U.S. passport, then there are other ID documents that are acceptable.

This list of acceptable ID documents applies to all ages between 1 and 18:

  • Child's driver's license, state ID, or U.S. passport
  • A private medical insurance card that shows the child's name and date of birth (do not bring a Medicaid card or state assistance medical insurance card; SSA will not accept it)
  • A doctor's letter that states the child's name and date of birth and is signed and dated by the doctor
  • A vaccination record printed from the health department that shows the child's name and date of birth, signed and dated by the issuer of the record
  • A school record printed from the school of current enrollment that shows the child's name and date of birth, signed and dated by the school official
  • An original baptismal or religious record that shows the child's name and date of birth and the name of the religious organization
  • A current school year Associated Student Body (ASB) card or school ID card

Ages 1 to 11

If the child is under 12, then the parent or legal guardian must request the SSN replacement card with the aforementioned ID document of the child and the parent or guardian's driver's license, state ID, or U.S. passport. If you are a legal guardian, you must bring proof that you have custody of the child, which is normally a certified copy of court documents.

Do You Need Proof of Citizenship Status?

  • If the child is a U.S. citizen but has not been updated in SSA's system, you must provide proof such as a Certificate of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship, or U.S. passport.
  • If the child is not a U.S. citizen, SSA will need the Employment Authorization card or Resident card.

Can You Get a Replacement Card Online?

If your state of residence is listed at SSA.gov and you have a valid driver's license from that state, are a U.S. citizen over 18 years old, and are not changing your name, you may be able to apply online for a replacement card at SSA.gov. This is a way for you to avoid long lines and a drive.

Warning: Only Use the SSA.gov Website!

You can only apply for an SSN card online at SSA.gov. If it is not SSA.gov, then you are visiting a fraudulent website.

What About by Mail?

The only other ways you can request a replacement card are in person in the SSA office or by mailing an application, your actual valid ID (no photocopies), and the other necessary documents to the nearest office. Since most people are reluctant to mail in their driver's license or U.S. passport, then it is best to just visit your SSA office and do it in person.

Can You Get a New SSN Number?

Social Security Administration will not assign you a new number if you were already assigned a legitimate SSN that belongs to you—and only you. It is possible to get a new SSN, but it's extremely difficult. There are a few scenarios where you can get a new SSN. The following two are the most extreme:

  1. Domestic Abuse: You are a victim of severe domestic abuse and you fear for your life because the abuser knows all your information and can track you down. If this happens, you can request a new number, but you must provide sufficient, detailed proof such as court documents that cite domestic abuse, medical papers that state cause of abuse, police reports, and adult protection services from the state's social services.
  2. ID Theft: You are a victim of severe identity theft and it has caused you reprehensible harm to your credit or livelihood. If this happens, you must provide excessive proof that the ID theft has caused unbearable harm to your credit—as in you cannot obtain a job or government permit/license, or you've lost investments. You must provide proof of harm such as credit reports, bank statements, police reports, and letters from government agencies.

Your Old Number Will Still Be Linked to Your New Number

Even if you are approved to receive a new number, the old number that was assigned to you will be linked to your new number. Receiving a new number will not make your problems go away in an instant. It is just a way to get a new start in your life.

How to Mitigate ID Theft

ID theft is a common crime committed worldwide. You must stay vigilant to prevent ID theft and act immediately if you suspect that your identity has been stolen. Here are a few tips to help you recognize and respond to potential ID theft:

  • Call the credit bureaus to request a free credit report on yourself to see if you have any outstanding loans, bank accounts, or credit cards that do not belong to you. If you see something strange on your report, ask for a block or to have the record deleted from your report.
  • Inform banks and credit card companies about being a possible target of ID theft.
  • Inform utility companies, schools, and other services you may have associated your SSN with.
  • File a police report for any instance of ID theft.

Can SSA Help Me If My Identity Is Stolen?

Not really. SSA cannot do much about ID theft when it comes to credit, bank, and utility fraud. As stated in the introduction, the SSN is solely for work purposes (to allow you to work in the USA). SSA has nothing to do with credit cards, bank loans, utility bills, etc. If it is not about work or employment, SSA cannot help you.

How the SSA Can Help: Controlling Your Work History

What SSA can do, though, is keep control of your work history. If you discover that someone is using your SSN to gain employment, whether it's local, out of state, or international, and it shows up on your work history, SSA can remove that data like it never happened.

For example, say that you are informed by the IRS that you need to submit tax data for a job you never held. That is a red flag warning that you should go to your nearest SSA and look at your work history. If the incorrect employment shows up on your work history, SSA can easily remove it from your record.

As another example, say that you are informed by a third party that you have employment somewhere different from where you stated. Visit the SSA office and check to see if there is any questionable employment on your work history. If it is not on your work history, it is probably too early to detect it. Check again after tax season, usually after April of every year, to see if the questionable employment is in your record. If so, SSA can remove it like it never happened. Controlling your work history is the only role SSA plays during cases of ID theft.

Recap of Getting a Replacement SSN Card

To replace your SSN card:

  1. Go your nearest SSA office and bring a valid, unexpired ID (as mentioned in previous paragraphs).
  2. The interview will only last a few minutes, and if your local office isn't one of the busier ones, you'll be in and out in less than 10 minutes.

Limits on Replacements

Remember, you can only request your SSN at most three times a year, and you're only allowed to have ten replacement cards in your lifetime. Replacement cards due to name changes, marriages, adoptions, and divorces do not count against the ten-card limit.

This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.

Questions & Answers

Question: How long does it take to receive a replacement social security card?

Answer: Normally, between five to ten days when you order in office, and two weeks if ordered online.

Question: What is the charge for a replacement SSN card?

Answer: There is no charge or fee. SSN cards are free.

Question: Can I apply for a copy of my Social Security card at a social security office in any state? Or do I have to go to the state I was born in to get a copy?

Answer: With proper ID, you can apply at any office at any state, but there is no such thing as a copy of a social security card. They mail you a replacement to whatever address you provide, and it can take up to 2 weeks but normally mailed to you in 5 to 10 days.

Question: Can I apply online and send scanned copies of original documents as required for my Social Security card?

Answer: Only certain US States can apply online. There is a list of compatible states on SSA.gov . If your state is on that list and you are a US citizen you can do it online as long as you have a driver's license or state ID from that state. And the address is current on your ID. You also can't be changing or updating your name, date of birth or citizenship. There is no need to upload anything as long as you met the criteria I just described.

Question: My 18 year old daughter lost her wallet. It contained her driver's license, social security card, and passport. May I, as her mother, be able to get a replacement SS card for her?

Answer: It depends. Usually the SSA employee will do it if they are still in high school and have a school ID (ASB card). But sometimes the employee will not because the child is 18. If you don't want to risk it, just have your child fill out an application and mail the application and her actual current school year ASB card to the local SSA office. Another way is to apply online but you have to know the info from your driver's license.

Question: If you requested a replacement social security card, but later found the original, is the original still valid?

Answer: Yes, cards do not expire, but I suggest you keep the newer card and keep it in a safe place and shred your older card. It's not wise to have two cards because one could get stolen and be used for ID theft.

Question: To whom do I report a stolen social security card?

Answer: You'd report it to one of the three credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion, or Equifax) and www.consumer.ftc.gov.

Question: Can the SSA give me a copy of my Social Security card while I’m there?

Answer: SSA only gives you proof that you applied for a replacement card. Nothing that has your SS number on it.

Question: I just lost my ID, birth certificate, and social security card. How can I still get a new replacement social security card?

Answer: You must get a new state id or driver's license. A US passport is acceptable too.

Question: My ID is lost, and I can't get a Social Security card without it. I have a birth certificate, is that enough to replace my Social Security card?

Answer: If you can get a certified copy of you medical records that has your full name and date of birth or school records with your name and date of birth and you can't receive your government issued ID with 10 to 15 days, then you can use the medical or school record as ID.

Question: Can a new social security card be issued immediately to walk-ins?

Answer: No, social security cards are made at card centers, and they are mailed to you within two weeks. Walk-ins will get a confirmation letter once a replacement card has been requested.

Question: What if I need another social security card after reaching my 10 card limit?

Answer: If that is the case, then you would need to provide proof of the necessity. For example, if you need a social security card to get hired for a job, you would have to provide a letter from your new employer stating you need your Social Security card to get the job. Another example is a letter from the welfare office stating you need it to receive benefits.

Question: My son is unconscious in intensive care. I need his social security number to apply for Medicaid on his behalf. How can I do this?

Answer: If he is under 18, a parent can do it for him as long as you follow the guidelines for a replacement SS card for a child. If he is over 18, you would have to provide legal documents that shows guardianship, not power of attorney. If he is over 18 and you don't have time to get guardianship and you just need the number, look at some old tax records when you claimed him as a dependent, his SS number should be on there.

Question: My Texas drivers license has been expired for more than five years. I have my original US birth certifícate. Can I still get a social security replacement card?

Answer: No, a birth certificate isn't an acceptable ID to get a social security card. You will need to replace your State IS, or driver's license or provide an unexpired passport.

Question: I filled out an online form for a replacement social security card. There was a payment request that I did not pay because I realized it wasn't legitimate, but they do have my information. What can I do?

Answer: Place a fraud alert with www.ftc.gov and also contact one of the 3 credit bureaus and do a credit history or credit report on yourself.

Question: I only have a copy of my state ID and my birth certificate. How can I get my SS card?

Answer: Not in office. If you're living in one of the states that are listed that allow online applications on SSA.gov then it is possible with just an ID but only online applications.

Question: Can I get a replacement card if my drivers license is expired?

Answer: Most if not all SSA offices won't accept any expired IDs like drivers license and passports for replacing a Social Security card. Your best bet is to renew your ID and go into the office once you have the actual unexpired ID so you don't waste time getting denied.

Question: Can a parent obtain a new copy of their 18-year-old child's social security card?

Answer: No, but the 18 year old can apply online if he lives in one of the states listed for an acceptable online application. Another way is to mail in an application with the original actual State ID or driver's license or US passport.

Question: How much does a social security card cost?

Answer: They do not cost anything.

Question: Does your social security number change when you need to replace it?

Answer: No, social security numbers hardly ever change. It is extremely difficult and rare for an SSN to change.

Question: Do you get a replacement card immediately at the SSN office if you go in person with correct ID or does it get mailed?

Answer: No, cards are mailed to you within 2 weeks. Offices don't have the capability to make cards nor give out temporary cards (no such thing). Cards are just ordered from the office or online. Cards are usually delivered by 5 to 7 days.

© 2014 Ken


Ken (author) from Seattle, WA on March 24, 2019:

@marisa bela Most likely help is to go to the US embassy in Spain. Most US embassies have a Social Security office or liaison to provide guidance.

Ken I Cruz on March 24, 2019:

@marisa bela Most likely help would be to go to the US embassy in Spain. All US embassy has a Social Security office or liaison and can provide guidance.

marisa bela on March 23, 2019:


i have a friend from Spain that worked in the US a few years and is now retired in Spain. He lost his SS card and has no record of the number but needs it in order to file documents for his retiree pension. He has no valid US drivers license of course and is not a US citizen. Can you please advise how he could get a replacement card or at least find out his original Social security number as that number is all he needs to provide on the retiree application in Spain? Would greatly appreciate your advise! thank you!

Jason on January 29, 2019:

I am trying to get a replacement ss card

Ken (author) from Seattle, WA on June 11, 2018:

@tabi If you can get a certified copy of your medical records that has your full name and date of birth or school records with your name and date of birth and you can't receive your government issued ID within 10 to 15 days, then you can use the medical or school record as ID.

Tabi on June 08, 2018:

What can you do if all your documents are lost, say in a fire, or stolen? No license no Id. Got birth cert mailed but SS won’t give a new card without license and DMV won’t give ID without SS card!

Ken (author) from Seattle, WA on April 15, 2018:

@phil As long as there is an application filled out (SSA-5) and it's signed by your daughter and you provide any ID needed for a child replacement card, you should be able to do it for them without them being with you. You can also sign the application if you're a parent of a child under 18 if you marked the box "parent or guardian" on the a SSA-5 with your ID and child's ID and they don't have to be with you.

Phil on April 30, 2017:

Can I replace my teenage daughters SSC without her being with me?

BODYLEVIVE from Alabama, USA on February 14, 2017:

I went to the Social Security Adm. when I changed my social security card name. I've never lost or had mine stolen but I did get married and had a last name change done on mine.

Ken (author) from Seattle, WA on December 19, 2014:

Yes you are correct Lisa, the birth certificate is usually not necessary but just in case SSA has your biographical information incorrect, the BC can allow SSA to correct the misinformation. The BC is needed normally when it is a first time, never issued SSN such as newborns and immigrants.

Lisa Vollrath from Euless, Texas on December 19, 2014:

I recently had to replace my Social Security card, in order to renew my driver's license. My advice is to make an appointment through the web site, even though it says you can just come without one. I waited three hours in a very large, crowded waiting room.

Also, although the web site said I needed an official copy of my birth certificate, and supporting documentation to prove who I was, I wasn't asked to show anything other than my driver's license. Ironic, since I needed the SS card to renew that same license, but that's Texas for you.

Related Articles