How to Transfer Money From PayPal to BPI
A lot of Filipino Paypal users may not realize this, but they can turn their PayPal funds into physical cash by transferring it to their local bank. The only thing stopping them is the concern that the transfer may not be successful or that an error may occur which may lead to the possibility of the money being lost in cyberspace. This article contains step-by-step instruction on how to safely transfer money from PayPal to Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), a local bank here in the Philippines.
Here is what you can expect to learn from this Paypal to BPI transfer guide:
- How to withdraw PayPal funds to BPI
- How to verify and fund your PayPal account using BPI
- Tips, things to remember, and requirements when withdrawing PayPal funds
It is also important to note that the steps mentioned here apply only to BPI. While the steps may also be somewhat applicable to other local Philippine banks such as Metrobank, BDO, Unionbank, etc., there will likely be many differences in those processes as well. For instance, the bank routing number (9 digit bank code), number of processing days, processing fees, etc. mentioned here apply only to BPI.
Lastly, since we are on the topic of withdrawing money, I will also briefly discuss some of my methods for depositing or transferring money into my Paypal account.
Requirements for Withdrawing From Paypal to BPI
Before withdrawing PayPal funds to a BPI savings account, be sure that you have the following requirements:
- The correct bank routing code, also called the 9-digit bank code (please be advised that this is not the same as the card number or the account number).
- The registered name with PayPal must match with the one on the bank account.
- The bank account must be active and working.
- Your PayPal account must be verified.
- The savings or ATM account to which money will be transferred to must first be added to your PayPal account (see steps below).
Once the above requirements are accomplished, the user may now proceed with the funds transfer.
Steps to Link a BPI Savings Account to PayPal
- Log in to your verified Paypal account.
- Click the Profile menu which is part of the “My Account” section.
- A drop-down box will appear. Choose “Add/Edit Bank Account.”
- Fill in the necessary information about your BPI savings (ATM) account.
Note: PayPal funds will be transferred to a savings or ATM account, not your credit card account.
Steps to Transfer Paypal Funds to BPI
Withdrawing funds from Paypal to BPI (or any other local banks for that matter) is relatively easy. The option is easily viewable and accessible once a user logs in to his or her PayPal account.
- Click the “Withdraw" button. It can be found near the “Add Funds” and “History” buttons.
- After clicking "Withdraw," you will be directed to a page where you must choose whether to withdraw the money to a bank account or to a registered PayPal card. For our purposes, we will choose the former.
- After selecting the “Withdraw to Bank" option, you will be directed to the following page (pictured below).
- Be sure to double-check that the important fields are entered correctly. Make sure the amount to be withdrawn and the appropriate bank are selected. Check that the last four digits correspond to the last four digits of your bank account.
- After double-checking the mentioned fields, proceed by clicking on the “submit” button.
As can be seen in the screenshot above, I am withdrawing $290 to my BPI ATM account. Even though it is possible to fund your PayPal account with your credit card, the bulk of my PayPal funds ($290) are coming from other online sources like HubPages, oDesk, and YoHoHoN.
Review Your Withdrawal Information
Before finalizing the transaction, PayPal will ask you to verify again if all information is correct. Below is a screenshot of the particular page.
This is your last chance to edit the transaction. Be sure that all info is correct before proceeding.
Your Request is Being Processed
This screen is the last portion of the transaction. This part will ask you if you want to visit the details of the withdrawal request or if you would like to go back to your account overview page.
If you choose the first option, here is a screenshot example of what the transaction details look like.
How Do You Know If the Transfer Is Successful?
To know if a PayPal to BPI fund transfer is successful, simply check your bank balance or ask for a copy of the statement balance. By the way, the transaction will fall under the remittance category. As can be seen in the photo below, there is a banking fee of 150 pesos for the transaction.
As you can see in the first picture, the original amount supposed to be given by PayPal has had 150 pesos deducted, and it took three days to process—which is actually relatively fast and hassle-free.
Common Questions About Paypal to BPI Transfers
Is there a preferred time to begin the transfer?
Do the transfer on a Monday. Avoid letting the transaction process pass over a weekend or holiday if possible.
How do you put money into PayPal?
There are many ways to put money into Paypal. My favorite one is the BPI Credit Card.
How can I use BPI credit cards with PayPal?
As mentioned in this article, BPI savings and ATM accounts are mainly used to withdraw money from PayPal. However, BPI credit cards can also be used to:
- Verify a PayPal account
- Make online purchases after it has been linked
- Fund a PayPal account
How can I add, link, and verify PayPal with a BPI credit card?
When you use your BPI credit card to verify your PayPal account, it will automatically become linked to your PayPal account.
Below are the steps on how to do so:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click “Profile” (described in the earlier section of this article).
- Select “Add / Edit Credit Card.”
- Choose the appropriate card type (either MasterCard or Visa).
- Enter the necessary details and follow on-screen instructions.
When the above steps are completed, PayPal will charge you 150 pesos, which will be reflected in the billing statement (this amount will be refunded by PayPal). There is actually a code that must be inputted to finalize linking the credit card and completing the process. The code can be distinguished with the prefix “PP” (this step is also mentioned on PayPal’s instruction page).
More Tips and Suggestions
- Experiment first with a small amount and to see if it will be successful.
- Take detailed pictures (screenshots) of the transaction.
- Use a BPI eCredit Card. (BPI eCredit Card is BPI’s way of dedicating a credit card solely for online purchases. Anyone can get this as long they have a primary credit card.)
- BPI prepaid credit cards can also be used. But when using them, make sure that there is at least a 150 balance on the BPI prepaid credit card.
- To view the statement balance of the prepaid credit card and retrieve the code, the owner must enroll the account on BPI’s online portal or call the customer service number.
- It is actually more advisable to use a prepaid credit card to ensure that you stay within your budget. I put a limit on my eCredit Card to prevent possible insurmountable charges.
Using GCash and RCBC
As of September 2019, it is now possible to verify a PayPal account using GCash and RCBC.
- Verify PayPal Account Using Gcash Mastercard
This verify PayPal account using Gcash Mastercard tutorial will contain comprehensive steps and requirements to successfully convert PayPal unverified status to verified.
- How to Withdraw, Link, and Verify From Paypal Using RCBC Bank
This complete PayPal and RCBC Guide includes the easiest way to withdraw Paypal funds to an RCBC MyWallet VISA card and use the same card to link and verify the Paypal account.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Based on your experience how long does a transfer from Paypal take to arrive in your bpi acc? I read some people complaining that sometimes 7 days after transfer, still nothing arrived at their account.
Hmmm, that is strange. The longest that I have to wait is 3 days. Sometimes, when I do it at early morning (local time), I would receive it during the afternoonHelpful 12
I am new to using PayPal. I just made an account last week and my BPI account is also just a few days old. I made both accounts for the purpose of receiving payment from my customers (overseas and local). I'm worried that my BPI account isn't link/verified to my Paypal yet since I didn't receive an email about it. How will I know for sure that it's working? If my account is properly linked?
Since both accounts are relatively new, it is possible that the email is in the Spam folder. To recap: You need a BPI credit card (with a Mastercard logo) to verify your PayPal account. To complete the verification process, you will need to supply the Expuse code which will be seen in the BPI credit card's monthly/billing statement.
However, to withdraw PayPal to your BPI, a different account is needed. This is the BPI savings accounts. Basically, you need two types of BPI account to verify your PayPal account and transfer funds from PP to BPIHelpful 6
How can I transfer funds from Gcash to PayPal or BPI to PayPal?
The closest I came to in terms of transferring funds from GCash/BPI to PP is when the latter automatically deducts or charges my linked credit cards when my PayPal balance is zero. Besides that, I don't think there's any other option.Helpful 4
Are you, the writer of this article, linking a BPI Savings Account to a US Paypal or a PH Paypal Account? I can’t seem to link my BPI to my US Paypal.
I think it's a PH PP account since every time I input PP's URL, it adds a .ph suffixHelpful 3
The balance in my Paypal account is in USD. Should I enter the amount in peso when transferring the balance to my BPI account?
It would automatically be converted to pesos. It is only in GCash where changing from USD to PHP before withdrawing is required.Helpful 3