I recently became a DoorDash Driver here in the Houston, Texas suburbs. I want to help you with the learning curve in the beginning.
If you need a paycheck fast, want to work on your own schedule, or are looking for a side-gig to supplement your income, you may be considering becoming a DoorDash driver. I'm a teacher, and my schedule is constantly changing, so DoorDash is the perfect side job for me. In this article, I cover everything you need to know to become a Dasher for DoorDash and make your first delivery.
- How Do I Become a Driver for DoorDash?
- Frequently Asked Questions From New Dashers
- I Just Clicked Dash Now. Now What?
- I've Arrived at the Drop-Off Location. Now What?
How Do I Become a Driver for DoorDash?
To become a driver for DoorDash, you need to fill out a simple application and submit the information needed for a background check. In the DoorDash app (the same app that you would order delivery in), click on the profile icon in the top left-hand corner. Scroll down to the More section and select Become a Dasher.
The Background Check
Once you have filled out your basic information (there are no long, typical job application questions), you will be asked to submit your social security number for a background check. The check typically comes back quickly.
The Activation Kit
You will then receive a notification via email notifying you of your acceptance as a Dasher. The app will inform you that an activation kit will be sent to your address.
I must have not seen the fine print that said I need to do at least one Dash before the kit would be sent, so I sat around waiting on my kit and finally called DoorDash to see when to expect it. They informed me that I would need to complete at least one Dash before my kit would be sent to me.
The activation kit includes a DoorDash debit card and insulated bag. You can complete pre-paid orders without this kit.
The DoorDash Driver App
While though the Dasher application process takes place on the ordinary DoorDash app, once accepted, you will need to download the DoorDash Driver app. This is the app you will use to accept deliveries.
"Being a DoorDash Driver allows me the flexibility that my crazy schedule requires!"
Read More From Toughnickel
Frequently Asked Questions From New Dashers
So, you have signed up and downloaded the DoorDash Driver app . . . now what? In this section, we'll go over the most common questions new Dashers have.
How Do I Begin Dashing?
The first thing that you do after downloading the DoorDash app is to make sure your car is full of gas and your phone is fully charged. You definitely need both. You never know how much driving you will actually want or need to do. You also will use your phone—a lot.
Every step of every delivery is done through the app. This helps DoorDash provide the information you need. It also allows DoorDash to update the customer as needed about their delivery.
When you open the DoorDash Driver app, you will see a map with a red button at the bottom that says Dash Now. When you are ready to begin delivering, press this button.
Can I Stipulate an Ending Time for My Dashing Shift?
After you click the Dash Now button, you can provide an approximate end time for your Dashing session. This time is by no means set in stone—you can always extend, pause, or end your Dashing session. This feature just allows you to provide a definite cut-off time if you need one. If your Dash time ends and you want to continue, just press Dash Now and begin the process again.
How Do I Accept Deliveries?
Once you've clicked Dash Now and provided your expected end time, just wait for your phone to ding. When it does, it will present you with a message that looks something like this: New Dash: McDonald's. You can then drive to the listed merchant and pick up the user's order.
How Do I Know How Much I Will Make From a Dash?
Your Dash will show at the bottom with a countdown timer. On this screen, you will see your guaranteed minimum payment for the Dash.
How Do I Know How Far the Delivery Will Be From Where I Start?
When presented with a Dash, the overall travel distance will be shown. There will be an Accept button and a Decline button for you to choose from.
Where Can I See the Tip Amount?
After you complete a delivery, a screen will pop up and show you your base pay and tip amount. You may not receive a tip from every delivery. At this time, you will also be able to see if the base pay amount has increased from what was originally stated. It will never be less than agreed upon.
I Just Clicked "Dash Now." Now What?
- Open the app and a Dash will show at the bottom with a countdown timer. On this screen, you will see your guaranteed minimum payment amount for the Dash. You will also see the overall travel distance. You will be presented with an Accept button and a Decline button.
- Click Accept. This will take you to the navigation screen, which will guide you to the order pickup location. It will also give you an expected time of arrival. If the Dash is for a single delivery, you will pick up one order at one location. (Some Dashes may include multiple orders if they are close in proximity.)
- The navigation screen will guide you to the pickup location. Once you arrive, slide the Slide for Arrival button. This will pull up a screen that lists the items you are picking up, the order number, and the name for the delivery.
- Wait for your order if it is not already ready. Once the order is in your hand, click Confirm Pickup. This will pull up a screen that provides directions to your delivery destination. You will then be able to see when your delivery is expected. I have never been late to a delivery. DoorDash usually gives you a reasonable amount of time to get to the drop-off location.
I Have Arrived at the Drop-off Location. Now What?
- When you arrive at your destination, check your app screen and scroll down for drop-off instructions.
- If the recipient of the order has selected Leave at Door, you will need to set the delivery down and then take a photo of the order with something identifiable to the customer in the background (e.g., a house or apartment number, a doormat, décor, etc.).
- Click Complete Delivery.
- A screen will then pop up to show you your base pay and tip for the order. You will also be able to see if your payment amount has increased from what was originally stated. It will never be less than agreed upon.
- Your delivery is complete! You can now accept your next delivery order.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.