Anthony is an IT Systems Specialist for a government agency. He is also a fitness enthusiast, sci-fi nerd, and hobby collector.
I was an avid eBay user as are most who explore the E-commerce marketplaces. I got the crazy idea to start selling my collection of trading cards, some sporting goods, and some workout programs that I was a distributor for. At first I didn't do so well. Which is typical of any business venture. It does take time to get traction and really start getting good volume sales. After one month of trial and error I finally started getting consistent sales. After three months I was doing over 10,000 in revenue on eBay! I was almost to the point of quitting my day job. Then it happened.
And just like that....
My dream was dead. eBay shut me and over 10,000 other users down the same week, according to forums about eBay's customer service. Of course, I contacted them, they could not tell me why I was shut down, just that my "business model" was not up to their standards. Even though I had 98% positive feedback on over 500 transactions in three months. I was above all eBay standards as a seller and had excellent handling/shipment times. So where did I go wrong? That is still unclear. However, I did discover that this is something that happens regularly with eBay. They perform some type of purge based on what their "enhanced security algorithms" detect on seller activity. So I guess it is illegal to take the profits of your monthly sales and deposit them into your bank account. Yeah, that's right, eBay owns Paypal too. So any Paypal activity can actually affect your eBay seller status. I don't believe that is fair trade whatsoever.
However there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. I'd like to introduce you to Bonanza.
Bonanza is a seller's dream. Here are the five reasons why Bonanza rises above all the rest:
- Lower Seller Fees: Bonanza charges you based on what you set your advertising rates to be. Anywhere from 3.5% to 30% final value fee, but only if its the advertising that brings them to the site. If someone clicks on your link directly from you, there is no fee! :)
- Excellent Customer Service: Bonanza's customer service is second to none. I have never once had an issue but I have asked some general questions that were answered same day via email, instantly via chat, and the wait times on the phone are very low. Overall just a great experience.
- Booth Design: Bonanza uses Booths instead of stores. I was able to get my new booth up after eBay shut me down in minutes. I made my first sale just a few days later. Adding an item is super easy with Bonanza. The item specifics are all on a single page and Bonanza rates your listing as you add information to it so you know how likely it is someone will find it.
- Customer Communication: The customers can communicate to you via chat when they visit your booth. This alone has increased my sales conversions because they can ask real-time questions. There is also a detailed message section where you can compose emails to be sent to the customer during different times of the order process. Very well thought out and super easy to use.
- Marketplace Is Unique: The marketplace for Bonanza is very unique but also very similar to eBay. It has categories of items but the layout is much easier to navigate. Also, since Bonanza advertises on Google Search, the items will be labeled and titled more accurately than on eBay. I like being able to search for things and seeing exactly what I typed in as the title of the listing. Bonanza also allows its sellers to earn tokens just for managing your booth to spend on different items such as: money off advertising fees, traffic consultations, and getting items featured for more views.
Get Started With Bonanza
Starting with Bonanza is super easy and straightforward. They just celebrated their 8-year anniversary and I can not praise them enough. Every interaction with their customer support and my own customers has been amazing.
Check out the link here if you are interested in this new marketplace that is easier to use than eBay and protects its buyers AND sellers.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2016 Anthony
HaremCinema on January 21, 2020:
Never heard of bonanza, thanks for sharing.
Larry Rankin from Oklahoma on January 31, 2017:
Anthony (author) from TX on July 28, 2016:
I do as well, however after speaking with customer services reps and supervisors they couldnt tell me a definitive reason. I have found hundreds of other honest sellers who had the same thing happen to them online. There are forums dedicated to this exact issue with Ebay.
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on July 28, 2016:
Thanks for sharing your experience with Ebay. Which you could discover the mysterious reason for your shut down. Thanks also for introducing Bonanza; I like the name.
Anthony (author) from TX on July 28, 2016:
In the advertising settings in your Bonanza Booth, you can change how likely your ads will be viewed and the advertising fee. I change mine weekly from 3.5 to 9% every few weeks. I have actually had more sales at 3.5% than anythinh higher. With any e-commerce store, it is always about matching the right product with the right customer at the right time.
Nancy Yager from Hamburg, New York on July 28, 2016:
I found the selling fees on bonanza to be very high. Maybe I have been on the wrong setting. Your article inspired me enough to take a second look. I am with you, ebay just got so involved with standing up for the customers, it forgot about its sellers. This attracts many unsavory characters (maybe hired by your competitors) whose intensions are just to have sellers removed. Do not feel badly, it has happened to many good sellers.
Anthony (author) from TX on July 27, 2016:
Yes! Even calling their customer service they could not provide any details. Very odd. I am very happy with Bonanza and their site is quick and responsive. Really a great platform.
FlourishAnyway from USA on July 27, 2016:
So you have no idea what happened to get you kicked offeBay? That is strange. I've never heard of this other platform but am glad you've found something that works for you.