How to Earn Money Online by Typing
Do you want to earn money online by typing? First, there are certain things that you should consider.
Typing is easy and a basic skill that we have. Anyone can increase their typing speed by practicing for a few weeks or months. Since typing is so easy to do, you can't expect high pay for typing jobs that you find online.
However, the pay is enough for students or someone looking for part-time work. So if you are okay with the comparatively low pay, then online typing jobs might be for you. I will not only discuss the genuine jobs, but I will also cover scams that you should avoid.
Data Entry Jobs
Data Entry is a field that is plagued by scams, but there are legit data entry jobs available. Here are a few legit websites where you can find data entry jobs.
- FlexJobs: They require you to pay a monthly fee of $14.95, and you can also pay quarterly and yearly. I believe that if you do well, then the fee is worth it. You can find plenty of data entry jobs on this website, and they check their listings, so all of them will be legit. It will also list free options, so you can consider them if you don't want to spend any money.
- The Smart Crowd: The name of this platform has changed from time to time, and right now, it is called the Smart Crowd. You will have to take an evaluation, and even if you do well, there is no guarantee that you will get work. The pay is really low as it is only 20 to 60 cents per thousand keystrokes.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk: Amazon is really popular, and Amazon Mechanical Turk allows you to do many tasks including data entry. The pay varies, and if you are there at the right time, then you can earn more than the minimum wage. Only people in the US and India are allowed to withdraw their earnings, which can be an issue if you don't live in these countries.
- Clickworker: Clickworker can pay you a decent amount of money if you are able to complete the work quickly. You will need a PayPal account or have a bank account in a country that is part of the Single Euro Payment Area (SEPA) to get paid. There are certain countries where the jobs are not available and you will not be able to join from those countries. For instance, currently there are no jobs available in India.
- Upwork: Upwork offers a wide variety of jobs and all you need to do is search for data entry jobs. Upwork offers escrow protection so you will most likely get paid if you do everything right. I recommend that to avoid getting scammed you only work for clients that have been rated acceptable by other freelancers.
If you want to earn some extra cash and you cannot find any better alternatives, then data entry is something that you can consider. It can get boring to do these jobs, and therefore, they are not ideal for those who get bored quickly.
I think it all boils down to the alternatives that you have. If you can find online jobs that pay more than data entry jobs, then you should go for them. But I wouldn't recommend data entry jobs if you have better alternatives. If you find jobs in the real world that pay more, they should be your first choice.
Transcription means listening to an audio file and typing what you hear. It sounds easy, but you may need some time to get used to it. So here are a few websites that offer transcription jobs.
- Quicktate: This company doesn't pay a lot because it only pays 1/4 cent per word for legal and general transcription and 1/2 cent per word for medical transcription. The good news is that people that live outside of the US can also apply. They will do a background check and you will need to list three references while signing up. If you do well, then they may allow you to transcribe from iDictate. iDictate pays better than Quicktate so there is some room for growth. Overall, Quicktate seems like a decent option if you are satisfied with the pay.
- Atheron: Atheron is for those who want to do transcription work consistently. They only allow people to join from the US and Canada. You also need two years of experience. Since the requirements are high, I expect that the pay should be better than Quicktate, though I can't find any information about how much they pay exactly. If you are from the US or Canada, this company might be worth a look.
- Scribie: The pay is $5 to $20 per hour, which doesn't seem bad. But you need to remember that the pay is based on the number of hours of audio files that you transcribe; if it takes you two hours to transcribe one hour of audio files, then you will be paid only for one hour. They offer promotions for those who submit quality work consistently and your pay rate also increases as you are promoted. You will have to take a test before you can become a certified transcriber. I don't think that the test would be too hard to pass. Overall, this website is a good option.
Verdict: Like data entry jobs, you can also try transcription jobs if you don't have better alternatives.
CAPTCHAs are those letters that you have to type correctly when you are trying to fill a form or make an account on a website. There are lots of websites that offer CAPTCHA typing work. Your job includes solving CAPTCHAs for hours.
The pay is also very low. There are many websites that don't even pay after completing the work. It is also very easy to get banned by these websites because some of them have very strict rules and they give limited time to solve CAPTCHAs.
The truth is that CAPTCHA typing is mostly abused by hackers and spammers to make multiple accounts. They need people like you and me to fall into the trap and help them in filling CAPTCHAs. Once they have a lot of fake accounts they can do their illegal activities like crashing websites and spamming people.
So if you don't know what the CAPTCHAs are being used for, then it is not worth it to join that website. I wouldn't recommend being part of something illegal, and the pay is also really bad.
Verdict: Stay away from CAPTCHA typing.
Should You Try to Earn Money Online by Typing?
I don't think that it is a good idea to earn money online by typing. The problem is that the pay is too low, and you can earn a higher amount of money if you are willing to work a little harder. You can start your own blog or you can try to become a freelancer. Both of these options can allow you to earn more than what you can earn from typing jobs.
Blogging is for those who don't want to earn immediate cash and can devote a few hours a day or a week to their blog. Freelancing is for those who want immediate cash and the amount of work will depend on you and the client.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
On which website should I start my personal blog?
You can try Bluehost because it is newbie-friendly and fairly priced. My article about the same can guide you. Here is the link- https://toughnickel.com/self-employment/Start--Blo...Helpful 2
© 2018 Kshitiz Gaur