Georgiana is a London-based marketing consultant, business coach, author and blogger.
Freelancing is one of the most straightforward ways to make money online, and I believe anyone can do it. As a freelancer, you sell done-for-you services to clients online. You are essentially a contractor or service provider.
Many jobs can be (and have been) turned into freelance careers.
Here are some examples:
- Administrator (online you can be a virtual assistant)
- Marketing executive or marketing manager (online marketing consultant, social media manager, Google ads manager, etc.)
Here are some examples of freelance jobs you can have without any experience:
- Virtual assistant
- Social media assistant (If you can post on your own Instagram, you can also post on Instagram for clients—and the more you learn, the more you can turn it into a higher-paid strategic social media marketing service.)
- Customer service
- Ghostwriter (This was my first job as a freelancer. I didn't have any experience, just a passion for writing.)
- Transcriber (I made lots of money with this at the beginning; it's a simple job.)
- Data entry
- Translator (If you speak multiple languages, this can be really well paid.)
- Proofread (Did you love grammar in school? Make money online with it!)
These are just a few examples. Since starting freelancing in 2012, I have been able to build this into a full-time career. If you want to make money online, this is one of the first places I'd start.
If you love writing, I recommend this way to make money online 100%. It's a fun, easy, and creative way to make some extra passive income.
You can earn anywhere between a few dollars a month to a few hundred dollars. It all depends on how many articles you publish and how well they perform. But in my opinion, for those that love writing and want a place to write about their passions or knowledge, this is an excellent way to bring in some extra income.
Even if it's very low, it truly adds up over time, and if you enjoy it, you might as well.
Personally, I love it. I haven't written a lot over the years, but when I do, it's fun and relaxing, and I sure love to see those payouts come in.
3. Network Marketing or Social Selling
This is going to make some roll their eyes. But I speak from experience, and I'm going to share tips I truly believe in.
Just like freelancing, I believe network marketing or social selling (often used for the same thing or different aspects of the business) is one of the most approachable ways for anyone to start a business online.
It's an industry that's been around for a long time and naturally has gathered a lot of opinions, good and bad. So if you have a negative feeling when you hear about it and truly don't want to give it a try, it's probably not for you; read on, there are lots of other options.
Network marketing is usually made of two parts—joining a company as a representative and selling their products or services for a commission. Usually, you don't manage inventory, licenses, etc. but get to earn money by selling the products and services. This part of the business is direct sales and has recently gained more popularity under the term of social selling as most people sell on social media.
There are network marketing companies for pretty much every industry, from cosmetics to food supplements, travel services, essential oils, etc. Someone with a passion for the product and sales can work well with a business like this. You don't typically need any experience and will have lots of training provided by the company itself.
A network marketing company also has a team-building site (this is typically the most misunderstood and disliked part). Here you can build a team of representatives (on top of your direct sales business). This involves activities like 1:1 coaching and mentoring, public speaking at company events, presenting the business on webinars, one on one sales calls, etc.
I'd say this side of the business is best suited for someone that has a passion for coaching and mentoring others, and a big pro is being a good public speaker, though not necessary. The rest of the skills can be easily learned.
4. Creating and Selling Your Own Digital Products or Services
One of the most popular and lucrative business models of the 21st century and a revenue stream that I genuinely think everyone should have at some point.
The most amazing digital products are self-help educational programs. There is knowledge in all of us, something we know and experienced that we can help someone else with.
Anything. Literally anything.
Let's give some examples of digital products you can create and sell, on a variety of topics:
- Ebook on something you know, you've done, you experienced, you lived through, you're leaving with (leaving with ADHD, breastfeeding tips for busy moms, making money online freelancing, how to start a career in graphic design, how to travel the world on a $1000 a month budget, etc.)
- Digital courses on a skill or experience you have (Speech therapy tips by a speech therapist, how to grow a thriving freelancing business by a freelancer, how to take better videos with your iPhone by a videographer, etc.)
- PDF guides (on any topic like the above, on a smaller scale)
- Live digital programs—webinars, masterminds, group coaching programs, 1:1 coaching programs, etc.
Every industry, every skill, every profession can be turned into a digital product or service online. It's an incredible way to earn money and has a lot of passive income opportunities.
5. Influencer Marketing
This is one of the most fun, creative, cool, trendy, Millennial, and Gen Z business model invented.
Here's the simplest way I can describe this model: Build a large audience on any social platform online and monetize by working with brands to market their products and services.
You can do this by working directly with the brands (aka Instagram sponsored posts) or by allowing ads on your content (aka Youtube). You can also maximize your revenue by doing both and adding tips 1, 3, and 4 into the mix.
The possibilities here are endless. You can become an influencer by simply sharing your life (family life, personal life). You can also become an influencer on specific topics you love, and others do, like fashion, health, mindset, makeup, hair styling, etc.
How Can I Start Making Money Online?
My final best tip to summarise this article is to try something. Pick one of the five, commit to 30–90 days and if you hate it stop, but if you enjoy it, keep going until it works. Some things work straight away, some take longer to show results. It's business. It's always been this way.
But the longer you keep at it, the less likely it is to work, just like anything else in life. You can do this, you can make money online, just like millions of other people with less or more experience than you are doing it. It's truly just a matter of starting and keeping at it.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2022 Georgiana