How to Start a Greeting Card Business From Home
How to Make Photo Print Greeting Cards
How to Make Money With a Card Business
If you can take good quality photos then you will be able to make very nice greeting cards to sell at craft shows and online. This is a very profitable home- based card business.
I show you
- How to make and sell greeting cards from start to finish.
- Where to get the materials needed to create cards you can sell at a profit.
- How to make a card that can be used for birthday, Christmas or Valentine day.
- Where to sell these handmade cards.
- Advice and tips about taking photos specifically for greeting cards.
- How to use the Photo Printing Service available.
Step by step instructions with videos and photos so it is very easy to follow.
Items You Will Need
- Blank cards and envelopes
- Dry clean cloths
- Digital Camera or a phone which takes good quality photos
- Laptop or computer
- Good photo software
- USB Memory Stick
- Pencil or pen
How to Make Greeting Cards That Sell
Spend time preparing your work surface. You are working with photos and they are very easy to damage with excess glue left behind on the table or wet hands.
Get this right and you will not waste any of those precious photos
- Prepare a space on a table
- Place some clean paper on the flat surface.
- Have some smaller clean sheets of paper ready too.
- Place 4 small sheets onto the larger piece
- Select the photos you plan to work with.
- Separate those for landscape and those for portrait cards.
- The packets of blank cards come flat so they need to be folded
- Fold ten of the cards
- This should be done carefully making sure to join the edges correctly.
- Have your glue and pen or pencil ready
- Place your first photo onto a blank card and position it evenly as possible
- When you are happy take the pen and mark a small spot under each corner.
- Do it as close as you can to the edge but never over it.
It is important to take the time to do this correctly. You do not want the photo prints uneven or crooked on the card. Once glued it is impossible to remove without damaging it. I always do this part on ten cards before I do any gluing. It is repetitive and concentration is important.
- Take one marked card and photo and place in the centre of the work surface.
- Turn the card over and add the glue.
- There are two ways you can do this so use whichever you are more comfortable with.
- I use a bottle of glue and squirt along the sides.
- It is important not to go too far to the edge.
- Then I use a paint brush to smooth the glue towards the edge of the photo.
- This must be done carefully so as not to have too much glue on the edge.
Using the Glue
This prevents the glue from spilling out onto the card as you stick the photo onto it. You will learn how to do this quickly and expertly once you have done this a few times. The second way to add the glue is to place some in a container and use the paint brush to directly add the glue to the back of the photo.
There is one very important thing that must be done correctly here. When you are gluing the photos on to the card please check and double check that it is the correct way up.
- Place the photo carefully onto the card.
- You only get one chance at this so use the marks you made earlier.
- Use a dry clean cloth to smooth down the edges.
- Do not use your fingers.
- You may think they are clean but there is bound to be some dirt on them.
- Put the card away and do the same for the second card.
- Place both of these on a flat surface and add an A4 clean sheet of paper on top
- Place a book or other heavy object on top of this.
- As you make more cards remove the book and add these to the other two.
- Then place another A4 sheet of paper on these and put the book on top.
- Do this for the next six cards.
A Home Based Card Business
The best and cheapest way to use a Photo Printing Service. The more photos you get printed the cheaper it is. But it is best to pay the extra money to print only one copy of each photo first. It is surprising how some photos do not work on the card.
There is sometimes a problem with the photo when it is printed too with the edges of the subjects being lost. I had to fix the photo of the deer because when it was printed the antler on the deer at the left was missing.
It was fine on the laptop. I went back and moved the space a little bit on the photo to show more grass. When I returned to print it out again it was perfect. It would be very annoying to pay to get 100 of these photos printed if it was not correct. This is why the extra time and expensive of printing each individual card first is worth it.
There are Photo Print machines in most large stores. They are self service and easy to use. Once you have picked the photos you think may work on the cards and added them to a USB Memory Stick bring it to a store where they have a photo printing service.
- Start the machine and follow the easy instructions and print your photos. .
- Take them home and see if they look good on the cards.
- Choose the photos you want to use for the greeting cards and how many of each.
You can have as many different photos as you like as long as they come to the 200. It is easier to have each photo printed the same amount of times. So to have 10 of each photo printed would give you 20 different ones. Give the stick to the person behind the counter and they will be ready in 24 hours.
Once your are making and selling these greeting cards you can up these numbers to make it even cheaper to print them in bulk
Price of Photo Print Service in UK and Ireland
- I photo print – 25p each – wait of 24 hours
- I photo print – 35p each – instant print
- 200 photo prints 5p each - wait of 24 hours
- Card and envelope - 10p
- Photo print - 5p
- Glue etc - 1p
- Total cost - 16p
Time must be spent in preparation of the work surface and applying the photo correctly. Taking the photos to use for the cards needs a decent camera and many photos to come up with just a few that can be used successfully. It is a lot of fun though.
Good Photo Software
You will have to teach yourself how to use a good photo software application. This too is essential with this card craft. There are many excellent photo software on the internet you can download and use free. I find Picasso the best. This is free and easy to use. I will be writing a step by step guide on how to use photo software soon. I will leave a link here when it is done.
Once to create a few of these greeting cards with your own photos you will be delighted with the effect. I sell a lot of these as the customers appreciate them as unusual greeting cards to give to friends and family.
A Successful Small Business
Do Not Limit Sales
Why I do not add a greeting to the front of the card. Have you noticed that there are no birthday, Christmas, Valentine greetings above or below the front of the cards above? There are very good reasons for this!
By adding a greeting to the card you are limiting the customers’ choice. This in turn limits your sales. They may like a particular photo but not want it for that holiday or celebration. Make the card suit all purposes where possible.
I make some cards with greetings inside and some I leave blank. This practice allows me to cater for many more customers. A birthday or get well card could have a greeting inside that says ‘Have a lovely day’ or ‘I am thinking of you on this special day’, ‘May all your hopes and dreams come true’ etc.
Listen To Your Customers
Once you start to make and sell the greeting cards you will get feedback from customers. Make sure you listen to them and create the cards that will attract more buyers the next time. The photo print on the card is positioned perfectly in the centre. It looks pleasing to the eye and gives the impression that it is framed.
To add a greeting like Happy Birthday or Merry Christmas you will have to move the photo either up or down on the card. It does not look good and you have a lot more trouble and time involved to create it.
Selling The Cards at a Craft Show
This was a surprise to me when I first began to sell these at a craft fair. Many potential customers were lost because I had added a greeting to the front of the card. Why? People liked the cards because of the photos.
The fact that the photo had the edge around it made it perfect as a gift of a photo and it was a shame the greeting was there to spoil it. I listened to my customers and from then on I made them without the greeting. This was so much easier for me too because it saved a lot of time.
How to Start a Greeting Cards Business
I find this is an interesting way to earn money from making crafts at home. Once you get used to taking photos for this purpose you will enjoy it too. When I am out, always with my camera by the way. I would see something and think yes that would make a perfect photo for my cards.
They can be made easily enough and the rewards are great. You can use a photo printing service that will print the photos cheaply and quickly. You can get on with the business of creating beautiful cards that will sell very well at craft fairs.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Where can I buy the cards and envelopes in bulk at a low price?
I buy the blank cards and envelopes on Amazon. They are a really great valueHelpful 6
Which cards and envelopes on Amazon do you recommend? Strathmore?
There is no need to spend extra money buying a named brand of cards and envelopes online. I find the ones I have a link to on the article are of great quality and are value for money. You must always keep in mind your profit margin when running a successful home business.Helpful 5
What kind of glue do you use to create greeting cards?
The glue I use to stick the cardboard and materials to the cards is white paper glue in liquid form. It comes in a squeezy bottle and is cheap and easy to use.Helpful 5
I have amazing pictures of my kitties, they're always hugging in cute positions and I want to create blank cards. I have a nice ink jet printer and the ink is very affordable. Do I need to have my photo cards patented?
You own the copyright to your own photographs. You may do with them as you wish.Helpful 2
Would you choose a gloss or matt finish on the photos for greeting cards?
I prefer the matt finish. It makes the cards look much more professional