Perk TV: Tricks and Tips
What is Perk TV?
Perk TV is an app that runs on both Apple devices and Android devices that gives users Perk Points for watching videos on a smartphone or tablet. Apple users are only able to watch movie trailers, which are between 1 and 2 minutes long, while Android users have the option of movie trailers or app advertisements, which are a little shorter.
For each video that plays on your device, you earn 1 Perk Point. Perk Points can then be redeemed for a countless number of rewards, including gift cards, cash through PayPal, or cash through Perk's own prepaid debit card called "Perk Plastic."
Perk Points Tricks and Tips
The best thing about Perk is that it truly can be passive income, meaning, you can set your device and forget about it, letting it run to earn Perk Points while you sleep, or go about your day. The following is a list of my best advice for maximizing Perk Points while minimizing effort.
- Sign Up Through This Referral Link: and start your account with 50pts!
- Run Perk on an old device: if you have old and seemingly obsolete iPhones, tablets, or Droid phones around the house (or see them for sale cheap at a neighbor's garage sale), this is a perfect platform to run Perk.
- Run Perk on multiple devices: as per their current rules, one user can run the Perk App on up to 5 devices at at time. The more devices you can have Perking around the house, the more points you are earning while doing nothing.
- Run Perk while you sleep: if you don't have an old (unused) device handy, run Perk on your current phone or tablet while you sleep.
- Earn Perk Points through Viggle: While the Perk TV app allows you to earn 1 point per video watched, if you download the Viggle App, it now earns you Perk points. When you check into a show, you have the opportunity to click on ads for 2 points each, and to let ads run for upwards of 10 Perk points each. For more info, see below.
- Use your own referral link: and get 500pts each time a friend goes thorugh you to use Perk.
Perk Points Cash Value
1 video = 1 Perk Point
1 Perk Point = $0.001
10 Perk Points = $0.01
100 Perk Points = $0.10
1000 Perk Points = $1.00
How Much Money Can I Earn Using Perk?
Perk for iPhones currently only runs movie trailers which are longer than app trailers, therefore, I am going to calculate our approximate earnings using an iPhone. Understand that if you are using an Android device, you can actually make a little more than this.
Given a 1-2 minute average video running time, plus loading time between videos and the occasional buffering of the app, I am currently earning about 45 Perk Points per hour. Sometimes it is a little more, sometimes it is a little less.
Running Perk continually all day all year = $388.80 a year in passive income.
This of course doesn't take into account any app crashes (which are frequent on older devices), time spent rebooting your device, clearing your cache, giving your device a break for optimal performance, or the times the app pops up the "Are You Still Watching" message. But, multiply these potential earnings by more than one device, and you can see how Perk rewards can add up very quickly.
Let's say you only run Perk while you sleep.
Running Perk continually for 8 hours a day = $131.40 per year
If you run Perk on the maximum of 5 devices, you could earn an extra $600 a year while you sleep!!
Perk Points Time Value
1 hour = 45 pts = $0.045
8 hrs = 360 pts = $0.36
24 hrs = 1,080 pts = $1.08
Perk TV Troubleshooting and Problems
I have to admit that app crashes seem to be a common problem with the Perk App across most devices. Also, it is not entirely possible to "set it and forget it" all day and all night, as the app will pop up an "Are You Still Watching" message periodically. Here are a few tips tips for maximizing Perk Points in a more realistic way.
- Check all devices running Perk once an hour or so to make sure videos are stills streaming.
- Clear your old device and restore factory settings before you download the Perk App. Devote this device to Perk only.
- Clear your cache and/or data. This can be done through [settings] [applications] [Perk TV] on your Android device. On an Apple device, you simply need to delete and reinstall the app.
- Purchase cheap devices that will support the current version of Perk TV.
Perk TV and Viggle
If you have read any of my other Hubs about the Viggle App, which used to pay users to watch TV, you should know that a few months ago, Viggle merged with Perk and things are a little different. In order to cash out your old Viggle points, you must now have a Perk account. Points can easily be converted through the App. (I swear you can figure it out just using the app without any additional instructions here.)
Sadly, I cashed out 30,000 Viggle points and that only got me about 1500 Perk Points. When Viggle switched over, 30,000 points would have bought me a $5 gift card. 1500 Perk Points is only worth $1.50. That said, Perk Points have proven to add up much more quickly than Viggle points and redeeming for rewards is about a billion times easier. No more incessantly clicking the "rewards" tab during prime time hoping to catch one of the 20 (total) gift cards released for the night.
If you still chose to Viggle while you watch TV, the changes with Perk are pretty simple. Just open the app during a featured show, check-in, and let it run. On every commercial break, an ad will play on your device and earn you 2X, 3X, or 5X the the 2 Perk Points normally earned per ad on Viggle. Sure, you can "set it and forget it" during primetime TV, but you can no longer leave the app and accumulate points while you do something else.