Paul is a writer and graphic designer. He has been earning money online for over ten years. Born in the UK, he now lives in Florida, USA.
Having reviewed Amazon MTurk and given my Top 10 Amazon Mechanical Turk Tips and Tricks, I thought it would be interesting to review another site which was recommended to me as a way of making money online.
Microworkers is another crowdsource site, where you undertake basic tasks (known as “jobs” in this case) such as liking someone’s youtube video, writing a short article, or clicking on webpages, and in return you receive payment. It's a relatively easy way of making money online.
The basic principle is the same as with Amazon Mechanical Turk, although instead of getting your reward in the form of Amazon giftcards, or having cash paid directly into your bank account, your Microworkers earnings are paid into your paypal account.
Below is my list of the pros and cons of earning online with Microworkers.
PROS of Earning With Microworkers
- The Microworkers site has a professional and attractive layout and it’s easy to navigate. It definitely made a positive impression on me when I first visited and I found it easy to browse through the Microworkers jobs.
- They pay a dollar into your Microworker’s account just for joining. Everybody likes a freebie, including me, and making money, even if it's only a buck for no work is always a plus! The only slight drawback is that you can’t actually access your dollar yet (see con no.5).
- Some of the Microworkers jobs on the Microworkers site pay better than on other sites. For instance, favoriting someone’s youtube video will often pay 30 or 40 cents on Microworkers, in my experience, whereas you may get as little as 2 cents on Amazon Mechanical Turk. Making money with Microworkers jobs is certainly easier in some areas (though not in others).
- When you look at the list of Microworkers jobs available on the Microworkers site, they tell you what proportion of workers who’ve done a job previously have been successful. This is a really useful tool if you want to make money, as it can help you to decide if you want to take that job, or not. (Why they don’t do this on MTurk, I really don’t know!). There are other ways to maximize your Microworkers income which I highlight in my Microworkers tips.
- Microworkers payments go into your Paypal account, where you can either spend your money directly at paypal friendly websites, such as ebay, or link it to your bank account and get it transferred there. This is convenient and useful and if you haven’t already got a paypal account, you can open one for free (there are many sites for making money online who use paypal, so I would seriously consider it!). Be aware that it can take time for the bank transfer to be set up, however - at least it did in my case - see con no. 6!
CONS of Earning With Microworkers
- There aren’t that many Microworkers jobs available on Microworkers site in my experience. Typically, there are just a few hundred available at any one time. Compare that with MTurk where there can be over a 100,000 hits on offer. That means that making money online on Microworkers is usually not a fast way to make money and can be much slower than with MTurk, in my experience. Also, because of the scarcity of jobs on the Microworkers site, you quite often see the same old requests hanging around for days on end, when browsing through the list of available jobs.
- Unfortunately, the problem with scams aimed at workers appears possibly even worse at Microworkers than that at MTurk. I would be certainly wary of giving out your personal details to anyone advertising jobs on any of these websites, including the Microworkers site. You run the risk of getting scammed or suffering identity theft. The fact that that these sort of jobs are advertised gives the site a slightly seedy quality, methinks, though I have no doubts about the honesty of the site owners.
- On top of all the scams aimed at workers, there seem to far too many “dodgy” Microworker jobs on offer that are aimed at the general public, it seems to me. At best these sort of jobs effectively involve spamming other websites and forums with hyperlinks and adverts etc. on behalf of the job requester. At worst, some of these Microworker jobs may well just be scams and nobody wants to run the risk of perpetrating some sort of scam on an innocent member of the public!
- There aren’t a lot of medium paid Microworker jobs ($1 or $2) where you just have to fill out a survey, or write a short article on the Microworkers site, in my experience. If you read my Amazon Mechanical Turk article, you’ll know that these are the sort of jobs that I like best!
- You can’t access any of your earnings until you reach the minimum withdrawal rate, which is $10. This didn’t seem to me to be too bad at first, especially when you consider that some other casual earning sites like, say, Inbox Dollars, have minimum payouts of $30. However, given the scarcity of Microworkers jobs on offer, making money can be relatively slow on the Microworkers site, in my experience, which can make the $10 minimum seem like a mountain to climb.
- Getting your money transferred to your Paypal account can take weeks. This is not a major problem, if you are aware of it, but can be very frustrating if you are in need of the money and not expecting it. I talk about it more in my article: Microworkers scam: are accusations about payment problems justified?
I found myself using Microworkers less and less and stopped using it altogether in 2013, although I do still have an account with them.
There were a number of issues that frustrated me and ultimately led me to the conclusion that the negatives outnumbered the positives, regarding working for them.
- The nature of the jobs. I never felt comfortable with making up fake reviews, or providing a Facebook follower for an artist that I didn't like.
- I had some payment issues with Microworkers which irritated me. It was during a period where money couldn't be sent to my paypal account. I emailed them about my problems but received no replies. They later re-introduced Paypal but the damage had been done, as far as I was concerned.
- The communication between Microworkers staff and workers is generally very poor. Out of the five or so emails that I sent them with queries (the help section was less than helpful) I only received one response and the others were ignored.
- I've never made much money with Microworkers. There are a limited number of jobs, especially if you want to hold onto your moral integrity, and what there is tends to be very badly paid.
- Although Amazon Mechanical Turk certainly has its problems, it still seems more reliable and professionally run compared to Microworkers, in my experience.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Questions & Answers
Question: I have done work with Microworkers for the first time, but my account is still $0. Why is this so?
Answer: The requester first has to verify that your tasks were completed successfully, that can take several days, or even longer. The money should show shortly after that. You can't directly access the money until after you've converted it to a gift card, or transferred it to your bank account.
Read More From Toughnickel
© 2011 Paul Goodman
Anshid on March 31, 2020:
"We could not verify shared url. Please make a sure the link is publicly shared". What is the problem, please solve the problem
Alex stewart on March 31, 2020:
Thanks for the helpful information,i just want to ask how do I find my referral link on microworkers i have looked everywhere and can't see it,i research online and it says go to account then to refferal i can't see anything about referrals.would welcome your reply.
Tee to Green Guy on March 02, 2020:
Warning to anyone thinking about joining Microworkers, whether as an employee or employer. Within the last 3 months, Microworkers has been terminating employees from their accounts. And I'm talking about high earning, long-term, well respected employees! Their only reply is because of "Duplicate Proofs". Speaking with many of these terminated people, that claim is unfounded. And of course MicroWorkers will keep your earned income! Absolute Scam Job! If you are looking for extra income, look elsewhere. And if you are an Employer, please find another source as all the good employees are being axed!!! Bottom line: STAY AWAY FROM MICROWORKERS!
Momo on June 06, 2019:
I've requested a withdraw to Paypal, MicroWorkers sent me an emailwith the PIN within a few minutes. With it, I confirmed the payment withdraw, but am still waiting for almost a month now for MicroWorkers to actually send the money. Kinda disappointing, since in their FAQ, it says that "Payments to Workers are sent twice a week, every Wednesday and Sunday"...
Jasim on May 03, 2019:
My account is not active, i need help becouse i not successfully phon number verify , please help me
David Nenekwa from Kintampo on April 02, 2019:
Can i earn some money working here?please if yes how do i get started?
Vali Hive on November 25, 2018:
Try hiveoffers.org, has $5 sign-up bonus and you can request payout when you have at least $10. Payment in 24 hours
Sakhal on November 12, 2018:
I have been using Microworkers since March 2017 and have made about 250 USD (including the commissions that they take). They have always paid me without delays. If you pass thair exams (which are disguised among the jobs, paying 0.00 $) you can get more productive works to do, those which offer long batches where you can work during hours.
Phil on August 07, 2018:
Been waiting for a payment of $25 for more than 3 months. They will just say, we are working to generate you the pin for payment. After that they will ask you another 20 days. After 20 days will ask again 10 business days. Microworkers is a scam... please don't waste your time doing this small task
PURUSHOTHAMAN on July 21, 2018:
How to create PayPal account
ale natraj on March 07, 2018:
Can u please reply soon
ale natraj on March 07, 2018:
hello sir i spend sometime doing microworkers so i have got $9 so i have been placed a withdrawal and got the pin and entered and placed a withdrawal request and its been 12 days over but the money has not been credited to paypal so i messaged to microworkers so they said that send your PIN can i send it to them its safe or not i am not able to understand can u please answer my question quickly pleasee
carolina garcia on December 26, 2017:
Great tips! If you're looking for a way to make some extra cash without having to do any work, eBesucher pays you to leave your browser open while it surfs the web.
All you have to do is log in and turn it on to start earning.
It runs in the background and surfs the web automatically.
You can earn roughly $5-$10 a month income if you leave your browser running 24/7.
Plus eBesucher offers a two tier referral program, which means you'll earn 8% of your referrals earnings and 5% of their referrals earnings when someone signs up under your referral link.
Aree on December 18, 2017:
I requested the PIN number for first time withdrawal, 3 months and Microworkers can't even complete the process. The purposely hold your PIN number, in order to keep workers' money. And don't think Microworkers is being honest.
alan on December 01, 2017:
I requested a payment from microworkers I should have been paid on Wednesday but they did not pay me this company is a ripoff
tobias on November 08, 2017:
i have only experience selling with them in the past. I think they have been great for that and I'm thinking of trying some new campaigns. Survey type. thanks for the article Paul. One good thing with microworkers is that you can pick country. I don't know how well they check vpns etc. What are some other sites that you think are good. I am a seller. i know of mechanical turk and there were some other rather big market. any other tips that has many workers and people consider legit?
worksfromhome on November 08, 2017:
I just signed up with them last week and completed about a dozen tasks (one of which ended up getting me a temporary facebook timeout, so that's great) then I waited to be sure I'd get paid for them before doing any more.
Two were approved and paid within a few days, the others said they'd be reviewed within 7 days. Here I am 7 days later and they haven't been reviewed, still pending. They weren't rejected, I would understand that I made some kind of error if they were. They're just pending. So I did as they asked, they benefited, and I don't get compensated for it.
I don't know that there is any way to distinguish between legit offers and the ones that might rip you off. It seems like a big gamble. Also I have read many articles that say how picky Microworkers can be. For example you can only have one account per household and if you log in on a different device you'll be banned from working. So workers have strict regulations but the clients can get by with not paying for completed tasks? No, I'm not wasting any more time with them.
Choucou on September 22, 2017:
Its scam be carefull you work many days for few dollars and when you would like to withdraw them they cheat and take you money
salman on July 25, 2017:
i was rejected in mturk creating a new ID
Gnanasekar on January 15, 2017:
I interest to do joint this micro job site but i don't have enough knowledge, but i can work my best i have a language experience and typing experience and accounting and other sides.
suman singj on October 11, 2016:
Sam Hak on August 10, 2016:
Well I agree Microworker's customer care is worse than others. I am waiting for my first payment from them and hope it will do good. I thought I would get it on sunday, but they failed to transfer it and asked me cancel the withdrawal and put a new request. I have done that and awaiting their transaction.
Zei Zei on May 01, 2016:
I have waited 50 days to get my money without feedback by support ticket! It's big scam!!! Shame!!!!
hakemzrman on April 19, 2016:
I can confirm they are scammers, but of course scammers like them not fool, they only scam some people, so that the others
which are not scammed can give review like this; microworkers is legit and so on.
3 weeks ago I paid them to run a campaign on that shitty shit website..they deduct my banking balance, ok no problem. Then
after 3 days the campaign still doesn't run, instead they deduct again my banking money without my agreement, simply like
that, before emailing me telling me I need to tell them the exact money they deduct otherwise they will void my transaction
in 5 days , WTF! Didn't they know the exact amount of the deduction since they deduct my money in bank? With this point, I
99% confident they are scammers, brilliant one. Why not before I made payment, state that they are gonna charge me again
for the verification process, why not? And WTF don't know the amount that they deducted and asking me to tell? Because they
But I still have 1% faith left, so then I go to support and tell them the exact amount like they ask me to. THEN until now
they don't run my campaign and even respond to me! Then Here I 100% confident that they are brilliant scammers. Avoid this
microshit at all cost! I wish I could research before I made decision to pay them for the campaign, coz WTF website like
that, asking people, i.e. pay people to cheat click google ads, and other illegal things is supposed to be a good legit
site. AVOID AT ALL COST, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WANT TO PAY THEM FOR RUNNING CAMPAIGN!
joolhash jawadin on April 02, 2016:
I have been blocked by Micro Workers for so called proxy. I emailed them but they failed to get back to me. I only just recieved my pin and entered it, later that day they blocked my account. So I went to whatsmyproxy.com to check if my IP was proxy but it wasn't. This has to be a SCAM. I made $43 and as soon as I wanted to withdraw they blocked me.
roob on March 14, 2016:
Yup I am, thanks!!
Paul Goodman (author) from Florida USA on March 14, 2016:
I hope you are enjoying the HP experience! :)
roob on March 14, 2016:
Hey I think it was your article online that started me writing on hubpages... well that picture looks familiar!
Irene on March 13, 2016:
I hate mircoworkers! Their staff is rude and ill mannered and i worked hard to earn $30, but don't receive any!! Just cause I'm using smart panel, I'm not even cheating on anything but of course they block the account and take my money. They are thieves and lions and very unprofessional!
jibrin on December 01, 2015:
Hey, use application https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.... bro, just install the application can run it dollar. Registration fitting use the promo code BW18422 let be $ 0.50. Not bad for start-up capital
Rex on November 30, 2015:
Never ever go to Rushworker.com. A thug site which never pays. I have been woring there for 1 month and they have not paid me, they dont reply to your queries, SCAM site steer clear.
Make Money Online on September 11, 2015:
Microworkers is Legitimate online work site from at home. I'm working this site over 2 years and much money. You can also earn money from Microworkers. If you want to know fully about Microworkers than you can read the article: http://www.techsolutionworld.com/microworkers-revi...
cavalero on July 23, 2015:
Hey PaulGoodman67 , Are you selling your microworkers account? Please let me know...
brianjG on July 22, 2015:
Hey Ceng memo, How long does it take to get activation email? A couple days?
Ceng memo on July 21, 2015:
If you want to make quick money go to Rushworker.com
Realy good and safe site.
brianjG from New Jersey on May 11, 2015:
The Cons 2 and 3 are there for sure. But out of the 2.5 years I've been on there there have been a couple of times that I ran into someone that has rejected my on work that I know was correct. That to me is usually a sign that either the provider doesn't know what they are doing when they set up the work or some idiot trying to scrape for info. But in any case nothing serious, aside from maybe a nonsense spam email. And you get those anyway just by going on to any page on the net.
But Paul is right on the scheme of things, Amazon hasn't given me but one problem from a work provider in the same amount of years, comparatively.
Now Shorttask on the other hand is nothing but scammers. One out of 10 jobs might be accepted. I've been working on reaching a $10 payout for 2 years now. Then comes the time when they decide to pay. That could be 2 months from reaching threshold. THE WORST EVER!!!
Gina145 from South Africa on May 10, 2015:
Cons number 2 and 3 are enough to put me off. I think I'll give this one a miss. Thanks for a very useful review.
BJamesG on April 06, 2015:
Yeah Caleb, I agree with the consistent payout. Hell, that money is what I use to buy various things off the web. Not bad if you're a smoker and run short on money at least you have a payout to rely on for a pack of smokes. Or even a small monthly phone bill. So it's good enough to me. But a minimum wage weekly check is not possible with what's available at any given time. In order to make a sizable weekly check you'll need some sort of an IT education. Which I don't have.
Caleb McKean from Dallas, Oregon on April 06, 2015:
Other than the initial wait for them to send you a pin the pay has been pretty consistent on Wednesday and Sunday. It is an extra 30 dollars a week easy for very little time. You do that on 15 sites every week and it's a paycheck.
BJamesG on December 06, 2014:
Kanishka, Never heard of anyone getting banned from MW. Not sure what they do in that situation. They never answer emails so I don't know what to tell ya. I haven't had all the problems that everyone here states. I would assume that they would have to blatantly return terrible work. Or try to scam their system. Or probably have 2 accounts which you aren't suppose to have in the first place. Again there is more to the stories that people tell on here. Trust me I'm all for telling about a bad experience on a site, provided it is the whole story and including my screw ups as well. Of course, there are just scam sites that make ridiculous things up too. That is why you do research. Besides the lack of answering emails, I personally haven't had any problem with MW. But I also go by the rules they put up in order to use their site. But that is just my personal experience.