The Top 10 Work Opportunities for Online English Teachers
Teaching a language online has become a great opportunity to earn a side or even a full income from home. Working from home has many advantages such as flexible working hours, an improved work-life balance, the establishment of a family-work equilibrium, no commutes and more time for cooking and cleaning the house.
In times of the crisis, an attractive side income can give you the backup you need. So if you have a good knowledge of English grammar, a clear voice, and the skills, patience and persistence you need to teach adults, teenagers and even kids, teaching English online might be the right thing for you.
There are numerous teaching opportunities that have surfaced in the last few years and more and more companies are offering online language training all over the world.
1) VerbalPlanet is one of the best websites to teach English for. It allows you to create your professional profile including your skills, experience, qualifications, availability, and price. VP has a great reputation as an online provider of language training and you are bound to get plenty of students through this website. Students can leave you reviews which can boost your profile and make you stand out in comparison to others. If students are satisfied, they will keep booking with the same teacher which is a real advantage. VerbalPlanet possesses an easy-to-use booking system which functions on the basis of the time zone you indicate in your profile. The site also sends you booking confirmations and reminders 24 hours before the lesson a student has scheduled with you.
If students are satisfied, they will keep booking with the same teacher which is a real advantage. VerbalPlanet has an easy-to-use booking system which functions on the basis of the time zone you indicate in your profile. The site also sends you booking confirmations and reminders 24 hours before the lesson a student has scheduled with you.
2) Gofluent is a French company that started its operations in 2000. It offers three types of solutions: an eLearning platform with multimedia learning modules, an eWriting option which enables students to improve their writing skills by interacting with a coach, and live lessons by telephone with a native teacher.
Gofluent is continuously hiring native Business English Trainers to teach English to students via the phone. Requirements include a high-speed internet access, a PC with Windows XP or higher or MAC with 10.5 or higher, a corded landline, and a quiet work environment. The knowledge of a second language is a great advantage.
3) On BuddySchool, you can register as a teacher, create your own teacher profile and advertise your services. Your profile should be unique and you should keep in mind that you want to attract students and stand out from the crowd. Describe your skills, experience, and qualifications in detail and state your availability.
There is a lot of competition on BuddySchool which is why it is important to obtain a high teacher score. The more students you teach and the more positive feedback you receive, the better your score will be. You should check your messages regularly and respond quickly in order to show your commitment to your potential students. You even have the opportunity to create a paid ad on BuddySchool. This will prioritize your profile in the search option and category lists.
4) TalktoCanada might be of interest for all those possessing a work permit for Canada. The company has been offering English language training to companies and individuals since 2008. As an online English teacher, you prepare and teach lessons, attend meetings with the management and take part in teleconference calls, amongst other things.
Classes take place in a Webex meeting room which includes a whiteboard and a screen-sharing function, as well as a webcam and voice functions.
5) WorldSpeaking provides blended learning which includes multimedia resources, telephone lessons, and e-lessons. Apart from online lessons, the company offers face-to-face courses in various locations, virtual group classrooms, and an online platform that generates study material.
One of the oldest companies that offer foreign language training over the phone, it has evolved into a professional provider of innovative multimedia learning methods. Teachers will gain insight into the online teaching world and be able to gain experience using state-of-the-art online teaching technology.
How to Earn Money Teaching English Online
6) OpenEnglish, the Winner of the 2011 International E-Learning Award Academic Division and other rewards is an e-learning company with a focus on Latin America. The company offers live classes with native English teachers in its virtual classrooms as well as interactive audio and video lessons for learners who prefer the self-study mode.
To join the team of live instructors, you will have to have experience teaching adults of all levels, be available to teach at least 15 hours per week, have a high-speed internet connection (at least 1MB), a quiet working environment, and speak and write Spanish or Portuguese, as you will mostly be teaching students from Latin-American countries and need to pass Open English’s Live instruction Certification Process.
7) TutorABC is constantly looking for English consultants to teach their students from Taiwan, China, and other parts of Asia. Lessons are fun as they can be one-to-one lessons or group lessons with up to six people. You can teach all levels from beginners to advanced speakers. Lessons focus on conversations and discussions of various topics. Lesson plans are provided by the company. The payment is relatively low in comparison to other
Lessons are focused on conversations and discussions of various topics and the plans are provided by the company. The payment is relatively low in comparison to other e-learning language companies but TutorABC can provide you with enough students for you to fill your monthly schedule and make a nice side income.
8) Learnship Networks is a company from Germany which offers online language training via a virtual classroom. Their classroom is extremely well-developed and offers all kinds of teaching tools.
The company also provides the material which is why the teacher saves time preparing lessons. Learnship also pays relatively well in comparison to other companies on the market.
9) Livemocha is always looking for live tutors to teach students from around the world. They have an online platform where students can take self-study courses, interact with other people from around the world in different languages, and take lessons with live tutors.
Livemocha is looking for tutors who have language teaching qualification or diploma, a minimum of 2 years experience teaching online or face-to-face, are native speakers, and have a good internet connection as well as a webcam and a headset.
Good luck with your applications!
In order to qualify as a teacher for OpenEnglish, you must have a stable internet connection, a headset and a quiet working environment. The lesson plans you use for your students are provided to you before the classes. The classes have only one to four students which will make teaching very pleasant for you.
More by this Author
Before giving up your full-time permanent position to become a freelancer, know the advantages and disadvantages of being a freelancer.
It is not hard making a living as a freelance translator and working from home. If you are proficient in at least another language besides your native one, all you need to know is where to look for jobs, which software...