Top 7 Auction Sites Other Than Ebay!
Don't Get Stuck In an Ebay Rut!
There is no denying that you can find and sell just about anything on Ebay. It is the easiest place to start an online business for yourself, but everyday more and more people are taking their selling and buying ventures to other sites. If you're reading this, then you're probably aware of Ebay's high selling fees and how easy it is for them to arbitrarily shut you down. There are an increasing number of horror stories involving honest sellers allegedly breaking Ebay's 'rules'. Usually these businesses are shut down in the blink of an eye without any legitimate reasons. What's worse, it is virtually impossible to have a real conversation with anyone at Ebay or to receive a 'non-generic' answer to your question or argument of accusation. So where do you go when you feel like your business has just been ruined and your life has been turned upside down? Fortunately, there are plenty of up and coming auction sites and a few of them have the real potential of being the next big thing.
- Ebid.net - This site was founded in 1999 and boy has it grown! Ebid boasts 2.4 million auctions, 9500 categories, $0 listing fees, 5 free photos and is available in 18 countries. It is safe to say that they are hot on Ebay's tail for the title of top auction site. As mentioned earlier, opening a store is free on Ebid and you can snag your feedback from Ebay. If you are like most of us good, hard-working power-sellers and dread the thought of leaving behind your great feedback and starting from scratch, fear no more! My feedback was imported in about an hour after I requested it, and a real person responded to my email, answered my question and took care of my need immediately. There are also great forums on the site and from what i can see, all of the sellers are former Ebay sellers. You can also choose to have auctions re-listed as many times as you like for free, too. The only downside I see is I think there are a lot more sellers than buyers, but the site is growing fast and with more exposure, I predict Ebid will be taking over as the number one auction site.
- Ecrater.com - This site is 100% free! It's extremely easy to build a store and my listings were showing up in the top two positions in Google searches within a day of starting up. So far, this site seems to get me the largest audience. Ecrater doesn't offer an auction, but I make potential buyers aware that reasonable offers will be considered with my fixed price. And did I mention it's 100% free? No listing fees. No sold fees. Just a great site!
- Onlineauction.com - Home of the OLA house! Like a store, but it's a house instead. Sellers pay a set fee per week, month, year or for life and can list and sell an unlimited number of items for a small fee! There is a small, additional charge to open an OLA house, but you can still open stores and post listings on ten sites for the price of listing and closing fees on Ebay. This site offers classic, fixed price, dutch, absolute and sealed auctions—there's a little something for everyone. Four free photos are included with each listing and sellers are credited a free 're-listing' with any item that goes unsold. Overall, the site is and the OLA house are definitely fun and there are a lot of unique items being sold on each platform. They are definitely worth checking out.
- ioffer.com - From what I've seen, iOffer is a smaller site that has an average of around 35,000 users online at a time. iOffer features $0 listing fees and a free store. It also another site that allows users to transfer their listings and feedback from Ebay! This small community has a great 'wanted' section too, so if there's something you're looking for then post it here! Even more, iOffer showed my items on Google search fairly quickly.
- Etsy.com -This is a site that will become either my first or second choice when I eventually start branching off into selling other items. This could easily be your one and only site depending on what you sell. Etsy is a site dedicated to all things handmade and designed. Awesome search options include the ability to search by color, by items handpicked by members, undiscovered items, local proximity and just plain 'listed' in general. If you are a crafty person and are putting in the time to make something, you will want sell it here! If you're a buyer or a browser, check out this site! There are some amazing, original and wonderful items on here.
- Cafepress.com - Now here's your chance to become a designer while having some fun and making money. It's not so good if you have something to sell, but if you're looking to 'make' something then it's perfect. You can design just about anything from shirts and mousepads to water bottles. Oh, and it's free! You design it, pick the mark up on the product and when it sells, Cafepress receives their price and you get the profit. Try it out! You may discover a talent you never knew you had.
- Powersellersunite.com - Not an auction site, but it is a site you want to check out to unite with other sellers fed up with Ebay. Full of forums and links and helpful sites to build your business! Loads of helpful information here.
Additional Miscellaneous Sites
This is not an exhaustive list, and I do have a handful of other sites that I use. Some of them have a much smaller community than you're probably use to, but they may be the perfect place for whatever you're selling. Everyone has their own niche, and a site that's good for me may not be good for you and vice versa. Here are some other sites you may want to check out:
These sites don't even begin to touch the sites available if your product category includes books, games, movies etc! Point being, don't get stuck in an Ebay rut! There are plenty of other options out there. Although sales may not be huge on that site at first, it will be better compared to paying fees with Ebay. You still have the option of using several different sites and finding the one(s) you love. The more people become aware of other sites, the more they will leave Ebay behind. Sellers are fed up with being taken for granted and are all uniting to find better ways to build their future! If everyone spreads the word, we will all be making a lot more money, be treated a lot better, and we will put those high fees behind us. Good luck to you!!!