Layne is an active freelance writer. She enjoys staying up-to-date on trends, media, and emerging topics.
How to Name a Business or Boutique
Congratulations on pursuing your passion! You've decided to open up a boutique, and perhaps you are wondering how to pick a memorable name for it. You may have started brainstorming already, but maybe are simply looking for some inspiration. Wherever you start, there are a few things you should know before naming your beauty bar, bridal store, maternity boutique, or clothing shop. In this article, we will look at name ideas for:
- Maternity Boutiques
- Beauty Boutiques
- Fashion Boutiques
- Bridal Boutiques
- Miscellaneous Shops
Building a Brand and Avoiding Duplication
I worked with a lawyer a while back who gave me some advice on how to choose a name for a business. At the time, I was looking into online media. She gave me some helpful advice on how to choose a memorable name that no one else had. Simply put, you want to build a brand and pick a name that no one else (the competition) is using. Below is some of the advice that she gave me.
How to Choose a Boutique Name
- Your Name: Choose a store name inspired by . . . you! That's right. By using your own name (whether first or last), you create an important distinction. Consider a fun name like Robin's Egg, Carolyne's Closet, or Barbie's Beauty Bar.
- Something Descriptive: If you'd like to describe your industry, a descriptive name might be good. You could go for Mom's the Word or Baby Baby.
- Something Fabricated: This is one of the strongest name types to go for. This is something you can trademark without trouble. Think of words like Kleenex and Instagram—make something up that has a ring to it that doesn't already exist—no one can copy it.
- A Metaphor: A strong metaphor may set you apart from the competition, but it will require that you create an association between it and your business. Mariposa or Tuesday Morning are two good examples.
- Acronyms: Acronyms make for strong names such as J&J (Jack and Jill) or YOLO (You Only Live Once).
- Something in a Second Language: If you are blessed to be bilingual, trilingual, or so forth, consider names in French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, etc. Sukoshi Goods or Mi Amor are both good names that use non-English words.
Where to Pull Inspiration From
Choose names that encompass the market you are targeting. If you are doing beauty, draw from words, terms, and phrases that describe beauty and beauty techniques. If you're into fashion, pick out terms from the industry like—Chic Château, Très Chic, Haut, or Deux Cafes.
Decide if you want to go for trendy, charming, cute, unique, or sentimental (the list goes on). Always aim for a positive image (no negative associations), and avoid words and terms that can be confused and misinterpreted. For a children's or baby boutique (maternity), you may want to scan through children's books for vocabulary ideas. You can find things like Each Peach, Bunny Trails, Duck Duck Goose, etc.
Great Kids or Baby Boutique Name Ideas
Bud 'n Bloom
Nuture and Dwell
Pretty Little Things
Sun and Moon
Pear and Plum
Acorn and Oak
Cow and Moon
Mom's the Word
Unique and Trendy Beauty Boutique Names
Kiss and Tell
Under My Spell
See That Girl
Queen of Hearts
Leila and Lana
Love to Love
Stylish and Successful Women's Boutique Name Ideas
Lace and Bow
Pretty 'n Pink
Cute as a Button
The Treasure Chest
Threads for Days
Sew 'n Sew
T & T
La Bella Vita
Best Bridal Boutique Names
Lace and Viel
Down the Aisle
Two to Tango
Jack and Jill
Frog and Prince
Bride and Groom
Forget Me Not
Tie the Knot
Once Upon a Dream
A Love Forever
But a Dream
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2018 Laynie H
Johanna Nauyom on August 28, 2020:
I need a nice name for my clothing business
Awais on August 26, 2020:
Ellen Francess and princess on August 19, 2020:
I need closet name for my business
Bhasker on July 23, 2020:
I need a business name for women's wear store
Nimisha Dalal on July 22, 2020:
I need my shop name it’s Kurtis bottom nd all cosmetic and under garments alphabet G,s,M,t
Hafnida Basheer on July 19, 2020:
I need a bussiness name
Osita stephen nnochiri on July 18, 2020:
I need a business name
Ajibade Noah Gerthrude on July 16, 2020:
I need a beautiful new fashion name for an online mart or store.
Thank you for sharing your great ideas!
Emzkie on May 03, 2020:
Give me unique and nice name for Shopping and Retail
Maria on April 23, 2020:
Give me good name for designer boutique
Israt Fahima on March 26, 2020:
Please give me some Name For Style At the first Word
Zaynab on March 11, 2020:
thank you for the ideas
Bazir boutique fashion on January 22, 2020:
New clothes of the name kaisa rahega
Asslamwalakum on January 11, 2020:
Laynie H (author) from Bend, Oregon on December 30, 2019:
Hi Kiruthika, I think designer boutiques do well with literal name inspiration from the founders, rather than adjectives. That or city or regional name inspiration.
Kiruthika on December 30, 2019:
Give me good name for designer boutique
coco on December 02, 2019:
almost too helpful
Nafas on May 24, 2019:
Malia on May 14, 2019: