Best-Selling Products for Market Stalls
New and existing market traders are always looking to find best-sellers, whether they're just starting out, trying to increase their existing turnover, or breaking out into new markets. Popular market stall product ideas will generate a fast and regular income!
Seven Great Product Ideas for Stalls
- Hot Food
- Bags of Candy
- Household and Cleaning Products
- Electronics and Electronics Accessories
- Shamballa Bracelets and Jewelry
- Pet Food, Pet Treats, and Accessories
What Are Your Interests?
As well as looking for top-selling products, you should ask yourself what you are interested in. You can make more money from selling something you are interested in that has a smaller market than by stocking your stall high with goods you're not interested in! If you are interested in what you are selling, that enthusiasm will be appreciated by your customers—and an interested seller will make more sales than a disinterested seller. The best items to sell will be something you have an interest in—hopefully a passion for—where you can become the "go to" trader locally!
Evaluate Each Market to Find the Best Products
Markets vary enormously, and you need to check out each one to see:
- Who is already selling there? What are they selling? Do they have a crowd?
- How many stalls are there? How many potential customers are there? Where are they looking, are they stopping, are they buying?
- Can you spot any gaps in what is being offered?
- What is the age demographic of the potential customers: teenagers, young parents, or OAPS?
- Is the market weekly or annual/festival?
- What about access—is it a market stall where you can have your vehicle parked behind your stall, or is access limited (making it harder to load/unload your goods)?
Many market traders will have stalls at a few markets, and some will even sell different goods at different markets.
Market Stall Insurance
Don't forget that you will need to have the correct insurance in place if you are selling in a market stall.
- Public liability insurance: Covers you if you cause anybody around your stall to suffer an injury, or damage, or losses (or even death in rare cases). This is ESSENTIAL insurance.
- Product liability insurance: Covers you if anybody suffers injury, loss, damage, or death as a result of your products
1. Hot Food
Look at any market and there's always a queue for hot food. There is often a gap in the market in what food is being offered. You might find food sellers are selling ice creams in the summer and in the winter you'll see them doing hog roasts or selling roast chestnuts.
Food vendors might be operating from a table, or from a handcart, or a full-sized catering van.
Many people "pop to the market" during their work lunch hour to pick up something they need - and they will still need to pick up some lunch, often grabbing a hot burger, or box of hot noodles along the way.
Street food is no longer the poor relation, but can be a super-exciting venture and a treat for customers and vendors alike. Hot or cold, everybody has to eat - and if you're looking for popular market stall ideas then feeding people is always on trend!
Groceries are always popular at markets and could produce some best selling products for your new business venture. There are two types:
- Cakes, biscuits, tinned goods - short-date and bulk buy goods with some shelf life.
- Fresh vegetables, eggs, chutneys and sauces - these do very well at farmers markets and county fairs.
Many of these stalls simply open the boxes and customers are happy to dive in and pull out some tea-time treats to take home at a good price. Your display costs and time are minimised too! Make good signage so people can easily see the prices, or have a "All one price" type of stall and people will come flocking.
If you are selling higher-end products, fresh products, then presentation is key!
3. Bags of Candy
If you look around most markets you will always see a crowd round the candy stalls. Candy is one of the best selling products for market stalls,whether that's a weekly market or a festival.
With candy, traders will buy in wholesale lots, they'll then weigh them out and bag them up into smaller bags, often selling all bags at one, easy, fixed price. All you need to repack will be some cello bags and sticky tape/labels.
4. Household and Cleaning Products
Market stall ideas are good if you're selling things people need on a regular basis - so selling consumable items is a good thing to sell at markets - people are always looking for cleaning cloths, toilet tissue, washing up sponges, brushes and cleaning products.
I always stop at cleaning products stalls and usually walk away with something!
Although low value, these are fast moving consumer goods, so you'll make a lot of sales, but be able to build up regular customers and have a high turnover.
5. Electronics and Electronics Accessories
Selling electronics goods, along with electronic accessories, is another market stall that does good business. People are usually looking to replace what they have with something a little better, or to add extra accessories.
Accessories are also popular as gifts, so people are looking to buy iPhone case covers for other people.
If you start off with selling iPhone accessories, you can hear what your customers are asking for and start to build on your stock with more expensive electronic goods.
Phone cases, leads, adapters, batteries are things people are regularly buying.
6. Shamballa Bracelets and Jewelry
In recent years, jewellery market stalls have been making brisk trade selling shamballa bracelets. Selling jewelry in general is popular, but stalls with shamballa bracelets seem to have the biggest crowds and buyers. See if it's the same in your area!
Shamballa bracelets do especially well if you are selling at local school fairs and school fetes as the "pester power" of the children comes into play!
Also, individual shamballa beads can sell for good margins.
Keep on top of what the current trends are - remember, the key to sales is giving people what they are asking for!
7. Pet Treats, Pet Food, and Pet Accessories
Every pet owner likes to treat their little bundle of fun to a treat - and market stalls selling products to pet owners can really do good business. Carry a range of fun toys as well as practical goods such as pet beds and feeding bowls. If you stock pet food then you can build up a regular customer base.
This is something for animal lovers really as you do need to engage with your customers and answer questions about which you think would be the best bed/toy/bowl for their pet, or their friend's pet.
Bird Seed for Wild Birds
This is another very popular product for selling on a market stall. The bird feeding market is massive and you can sell fat balls, feeding boxes and other products to people who like to feed birds.
Homemade Pet Treats
Homemade Pet treats are increasingly popular at good quality markets, fairs and festivals - everybody likes to treat their pet to something a little gourmet!
Additional Considerations for Products
I hope this has given you an insight into the best selling products for market stalls. Other things you need to consider are:
- What is the shelf life of the products? e.g. if you are selling burgers you'll need to think about how many bread rolls to buy and take; if you're selling bags of candy then they have a longer shelf life; if you are selling washing up sponges they will never go out of date
- How many different types of markets would your product choice be suitable for? e.g. having a full-sized catering van would mean you're limited to markets with good access;
- The cost of setting up. e.g. selling bags of sweets, you can start in business at small/local fairs with only a few boxes of stock; selling higher priced goods requires a larger start up investment.
Remember that when it comes to market stall ideas, what sells well in one market, might not do so well in another. Part of the skill you'll gain in being a market trader is to spot new opportunities and keep listening to what your customers are after so that you can tweak your stock to give it to them!
When you are out and about see for yourself what you think the popular market stall ideas are, then think how you can replicate that success with your own twist! Spotting what are the most successful products to sell on a market stall might just be the turning point for you financially!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2013 Dedicated Content Curator