How to Start a Marriage Bureau
Marriage bureau is a popular concept in India. Running a marriage bureau is a good source of income. Many marriage bureaus in the cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Pune, Bangalore etc. are charging Rs. 1000 to 5000 for registration of each. In special cases, they charge even Rs. 10000 or more per candidate. The expenses are low and the income is high in this business.
So are you interested in running a marriage bureau? Here are some tips.
What is a Marriage Bureau?
Marriage bureau is a matchmaking service where marriage minded candidates register their names and the bureau suggests them suitable matches from their database. The marriage bureaus are generally operated by a person or a group of person, from an office or even from a home. Most of the marriage bureaus are community based. The matches are suggested by the bureaus directly when the candidates or the parents of the candidates visit the bureau, or by correspondence, emails and phone calls. Some marriage bureaus arrange meetings of the suitable matches.
Points to be Considered
Before starting a marriage bureau, think on the following points:
Do you want to start it individually, or by forming a group?
There are advantages and disadvantages in both the conditions of running a proprietary marriage bureau and a running a marriage bureau by a group, like in proprietary marriage bureau all the profit is yours but you have to work hard and it is not easy for you to complete big tasks. On the other hand in group activity the work load is divided, and the profit also gets divided.
Do you want to run it from an office or from your home?
My suggestion is at beginning you should start it from home and when there is a good response, you should operate the bureau from an office.
For which specific community you want to start it?
It is an important thing. As most of the candidates like to choose a match from his/her own community, a marriage bureau for specific community gets more success than a marriage bureau for all. Here community means a religious group, a linguistic group or an ethnic group etc.
How much time you can give for the bureau?
Do you want to operate the marriage bureau on part time basis or as a full time business?
How to Start and Run a Marriage Bureau
Follow these steps to start a marriage bureau.
1. Print a brochure giving the details of your marriage bureau. The details should contain introduction, offers, rules and regulations, fees, contact information including office address, phone number, email address, timing, weekly holiday etc. I suggest you to read brochures of other marriage bureaus. This will give you idea of many things including the frees they are charging.
2. Print a registration form. The form should have following fields: Name of the candidate, Date of Birth, Height, Weight, Educational Qualification, Occupation, Designation, Monthly Income, Religion, Community/caste Language (Mother Tongue), Other languages known, Expectations about the match, Contact Details etc. Again, as in the case of brochure, you should study registration forms of other marriage bureaus before creating your own.
3. Let community people know about your marriage bureau. For this advertise in community magazines, send press notes, announce your marriage bureau through social networking sites, get directories published by other marriage bureaus and send your brochure to the addresses of candidates.
4. Print a business card bearing name, catch line and contact details of your marriage bureau, and distribute it in the community members. It will work as a viral advertising.
5. When interested candidates will contact you, simply tell them about your bureau in detail, and ask them to register their names.
6. Send details of suitable matches to every candidate regularly in the membership period.
Use This Trick for More Response
When you send registration forms to people, offer a concession and set a deadline i.e.last date to enjoy the concession. Add a separate concession coupon in the literature you send. This will increase the response rate as people want to enjoy concessions and follow the deadlines.
Arrange Get Togethers
Once or twice every year you should arrange get together of marriage minded girls and guys. In such get together, each of the candidate should introduce himself/herself. Such get together increases popularity of your marriage bureau. As there is a separate charge for participating in the get together, you can make a big money through it.
Essential Things You Must Have
1. An Office: Even you operate the marriage bureau from home, you must have a separate room or cabin for the operation. Having an office in commercial place is best thing.
2. A Computer: A must thing for storing your database.
3. A lessor Printer: For printing offline letters, database etc.
4. Internet Connection: A must thing to keep touch in with people.
5. Community Magazines: These magazine can keep you in touch with the community
6. An Assistant: For communication related work
7. Stationary: Letterhead, Rubber Stamps, Envelopes, Copier Paper, Stapler, Staples, Pins, Rubber Bands, Gum, Ball Pens, Gel Pens, High Lighters, Cutter etc.
In some states of India, you have to register marriage bureaus under special act.
As it is a sevice business, you are entitled to pay service tax.