10 Tips on Starting Art and Craft Classes for a Profit
Art and craft classes - How to start?
Art and craft training classes for kids is small but a profitable business to begin with specially for ambitious housewives. Very good and lucrative home based business opportunity. I myself entered into this field because i wanted to give enough time to my child and was not ready to put him into boarding school. I quit my job and started my own art and craft classes for kids. Best part was that my child was learning a lot from this and getting lot of quality time to spend with his parents. Initially i struggled as i knew it takes time to get recognition specially when you live in an area where there is a good competition. But i learned that if you give good quality and kids are satisfied you will surely get success. I realized this when few of my students stood first in art competitions. I started getting lot of calls for more admissions. I was never worried or thought of what others are teaching but i concentrated more on what and how i will teach. For this i put great effort on curriculum and how i a transform a child's ability after 1 year training. I have given consistent award winners under my training. I found this business as most satisfying and at the same time it was improving my artistic and creative abilities. I will explain in this hub what you can to start such a business without much of investment in \a simple manner.
Here is what you can do to start your own art and craft training center for children,
1. Knowledge - Knowledge of art field is first and most important part to start. So assess your skills or should i say know your basic drawing ability. For this if you have formal previous training in the field of art then go to the next step. But if you don't have previous training but your hand at basic drawing is good then take at least 2-3 months to train yourself and in the beginning start drawing classes for little kids up to the age of 8 yrs. The next step will tell you how you can train yourself without spending too much of money.
2. How to train yourself in the field of art and craft? - Yes if you are not a fine arts graduate or don't have a diploma in art, not to worry. Internet is the best source of information and full of easily downloadable books and tutorials like 123peppy.com or you tube or my own tutorials that i keep uploading on hubpages. You can also purchase some good drawing books from the nearby bookstore.
Train yourself in the following areas and include all this in your curriculum,
- Pencil - Improve your knowledge about pencils like what HB stands for and what is the difference between 2B pencil and a 2H pencil and what all different kinds of pencils are available in the market and so on.
- Colors and brushes - Improve your knowledge about all types of color mediums like crayons, oil pastels, water colors, pencil colors, soft pastels, paints and learn about round and flat brushes and there differences.
- Shapes - Learn to draw all types of shapes like circle, oval, triangle, square, rectangle, cone, cylindrical, and move on to trapezium, semicircle, kite, heart shape, eye shape and cloud shape.
- Lines - Learn to draw lines like standing, sleeping, slanting, dotted, wavy, curly, zig zag, curvy lines, m and w shape lines.
- Alphabet drawings - Learn to draw basic things around us using alphabets and shapes. Alphabets and shapes helps kids learn drawing easily and interestingly.
- Basic elements - Learn to draw trees, houses, flowers, clouds, mountains, water, island, sun and make some simple nature scenes. In the same manner draw some city scape like school building, market area, house with garden etc, practice few under water scenes with underwater animals and fishes, corals and seaweeds. 4-5 drawings in each area is enough for the beginning.
- Shading - Learn basic shading and coloring of the level that kids require. Begin with pencil shading first and then go for coloring. From 3-7 yrs age group there is hardly any shading required.
- Creatures drawing - Learn to draw animals, birds, insects and try to draw all these with the help of shapes.
- Human body - Learn to draw human body actions like sitting, standing, running, jumping, walking. Start with a boy and girl and move on to topics like 'My family'.
- Craft materials - Learn about various craft products available in the market like sheets, origami papers, card boards, punches, calligraphy pens, flower making materials, greeting cards embellishments.
- Craft ideas - Learn to make greeting cards, origami basics, flower making, punch craft, quiling, school projects. These craft areas are very easy to learn and teach.
3. Investment - If you will start classes at your home it will be the best idea as no investment required for the place. Second is the infrastructure where you need to purchase table and chairs, some colors, shelves with some drawing books and display some of your art and craft work. Besides this you need to spend money on advertising like printing and distributing pamphlets which is a must. So in total investment is very little if you can start at your home.
4. Planning curriculum - Plan a curriculum for at least a year, take 2 - 3 classes in a week, take 2 classes of art and 1 class of craft. In the beginning let the children practice only shapes and lines for 3-4 classes which helps improve wrist movements. So plan a curriculum in such a way that kids complete 3-4 drawings in a month and 2-3 craft projects.
5. Age group - Select best suited age group as per you skills. Choose 3-12 yrs or 3-7 yrs one group and 8-12 second group. Keeping separate groups is better as both age groups have different needs.
6. Location - There are 3-4 ways to choose your location. Best if you can start from your home otherwise rent a room in a potential place which is highly populated.You can also share space with some already established coaching center or playschool.
7. Choose a name - Keep a catchy name of your art school like colors, color palette, or pencil and scissors or name of any famous cartoon character or choose a more intelligent names like Virtuoso, little artist, strokes and cuts etc.
8. Advertise - People will come to know about your center only through advertising, so distribute pamphlets, display ads on books stores and stationary stores. Give advertisements in newspapers and advertise on internet so that more and more people know about your center. You can also organize workshops or organize art competitions for children in your area which will help you a lot ion advertising your gaining recognition.
9. Hire teachers - Once your business is doing well and you are not able to take all the classes yourself, hire outside teachers on monthly basis.
10. Keep polishing your art skills - Art has so much to learn that more is less. So keep learning more and more art and craft techniques and forms and keep mastering your skills..
Read some more articles available on internet,
Learn how to draw techniques for kids - Teaching drawing to little children is easy if proper ways are applied, as up to the age of seven they are super learners and this is the best time to teach them how to draw. Some important things we all must do is make them feel free to draw whatever they want specially at the initial stage and make it interesting so that they don't feel bore.
Kids can learn how to draw with the help of letters much faster. Kids at a very young age learn to recognize English alphabets through charts or through toys or being taught at playschools. But they start drawing in the form of scribbling much before they learn to write alphabets.